The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Eclipse
Templar Master

Re: Comic for May 22, 2021: Kathrin in Trouble pt3

#16 Post by Eclipse »

aitaituo wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 8:34 pm
Eclipse wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:56 pm
aitaituo wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 2:46 pm It's deep enough that he'll need to bandage himself before he can do much. Unless he grabs Kat immediately, this fight is effectively over because she could be on the other side of the mansion before he fits a bandage or a hundred yards away if he knows healing magic, which would turn this into a chase if Romulus cares to chase her. Presumably, Kat will go to Zen to warn him. But she may go away from him to draw Romulus away, which would be bad if she can't find some backup.
It wouldn't be smart for Kat to run away, that would leave Zen defenseless. And as we've seen with Sythe, Romulus isn't distracted by secondary targets, so he'd just ignore her and look for Zen. Kat should just find Zen and get him out of there and try to find the others. But, she might not be thinking rationally in this situation, so it's possible she might just bolt at the first sign of trouble.
It looks like she's already running away. She's a seamstress, not a warrior. Even with the knife in his arm, I don't think she stands much of a chance against him without the element of surprise like just now. A trained killer would have gone for the neck or be stabbing Romulus repeatedly by now.
Yes, but is she escaping by herself or getting Zen and going? That much isn't clear. Kat's not a trained fighter, but she does know she's trying to help Zen get better. If she just bails on Zen and lets Romulus capture him, she's not doing that. Hence if she's thinking rationally enough to know what she's doing instead of just operating on instinctual self-preservation, she's probably going to get Zen out of there as best she can.

HSishi
Citizen

#17 Post by HSishi »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 2:01 pm Well this chapter is full of surprises and curve balls. Kat is more resourceful than we gave her credit for.

Also seconding Romulus. To what? What was she rambling about before stabbing him?
*snip*
Romulus doesn't have the time to immobilize Kat in a non-lethal way (tie her up), so he was about to swing the axe and inmidst his "Sorry, I have to kill you" excuse Kat called for the steak.

steelabjur
Council Member

#18 Post by steelabjur »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 2:01 pm Well this chapter is full of surprises and curve balls. Kat is more resourceful than we gave her credit for.

Also seconding Romulus. To what? What was she rambling about before stabbing him?
She wasn't rambling, she just said "steak!", which interrupted Rom's monologuing about "I have no time to" (likely "waste" was the next word he'd say).

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#19 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Thanks for some reason I thought Kat simply started started rambling about a job and then blurted out steak that makes much more sense.

Also If she tries to let Romulus away from him or pick him up and escape she needs to know where he is right now. And with him sneaking out of his room over and over i am not sure she knows where he is
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

steelabjur
Council Member

#20 Post by steelabjur »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:55 pm Thanks for some reason I thought Kat simply started started rambling about a job and then blurted out steak that makes much more sense.

Also If she tries to let Romulus away from him or pick him up and escape she needs to know where he is right now. And with him sneaking out of his room over and over i am not sure she knows where he is
Even if she knows where Zen's at, he reopens his wound getting out of bed and it's not like she's going to be able to carry him or assist him at moving at any decent speed. Rom probably knows magic like his brother, so stabbing him is at best just going to buy her a little time while he pulls the blade out and heals his wound. Smart move for Kat is to book it for the Oasis Room as fast as she can, where all the combat-skilled folk (like Natani and Keith and Red) are and would protect her from Rom.

Rasol
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith

#21 Post by Rasol »

Alright. I admit I was wrong about it not being used to summon something.

Still good on Kat for thinking on her feet like that.

Now can we get Zen to show up and put this wolf down, so he can save Kat's hide?
We're HOW deep in this comic, and we haven't seen either of these 'Assassins" be very effective at their jobs.
FFS a SQUIRREL (shaped thing) took down one brute.

And to everyone saying Zen has NO chance:
1: Romulus is now injured. His main hand as a pretty deep stab wound.
2: Zen is an Assassin. If he & Natani were any good at their jobs, they should know how to 'close the deal" even while at a disadvantage.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#22 Post by Technic[Bot] »

steelabjur wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 10:40 pm
Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:55 pm Thanks for some reason I thought Kat simply started started rambling about a job and then blurted out steak that makes much more sense.

Even if she knows where Zen's at, he reopens his wound getting out of bed and it's not like she's going to be able to carry him or assist him at moving at any decent speed. Rom probably knows magic like his brother, so stabbing him is at best just going to buy her a little time while he pulls the blade out and heals his wound. Smart move for Kat is to book it for the Oasis Room as fast as she can, where all the combat-skilled folk (like Natani and Keith and Red) are and would protect her from Rom.
I suppose she knows everyone is supposedly at the oasis room, but given the size of the state, does she know how to get there? Moreover even if she manages to get there, they may not be there anymore by the time she gets to that room.
Also besides revenge i do not see any point in Romulus chasing Kat, at least if he is half as professional as he says he is.
Rasol wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 11:47 pm
Alright. I admit I was wrong about it not being used to summon something.

Still good on Kat for thinking on her feet like that.

Now can we get Zen to show up and put this wolf down, so he can save Kat's hide?
We're HOW deep in this comic, and we haven't seen either of these 'Assassins" be very effective at their jobs.
FFS a SQUIRREL (shaped thing) took down one brute.

And to everyone saying Zen has NO chance:
2: Zen is an Assassin. If he & Natani were any good at their jobs, they should know how to 'close the deal" even while at a disadvantage.
I think it is strongly hinted that their reputation is highly inflated, by themselves no less. But at least i would expect them to be at least competent at their day job. But yes, Romulus does not have his main arm and Zen does not have a leg. Should be a somewhat fair fight.

Also the squirrel shaped thing actually took Romus out by literally scaring him to his doom.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Tyger42
Apprentice

#23 Post by Tyger42 »

Aevere wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 3:27 pm He's holding the axe in one panel, gets stabbed in the axe arm, then isn't holding the axe anymore. Methinks he dropped it onto the ground. Run while unarmed :kathrin: !
Definitely looks from the position of the hand like he dropped the axe in shock. And looks like she's making a break for it in the last panel. Very good thinking on her feet. Makes me wonder if she has more experience with self defense than she lets on...

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#24 Post by Bellhead »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:50 am I think it is strongly hinted that their reputation is highly inflated, by themselves no less. But at least i would expect them to be at least competent at their day job.
The legend, as regaled by Tom during a stream years ago and may have been retconned since, is that the two of them have never actually completed a mission according to plan, but up to the start of the story, had always accomplished their tasks. Isaac killed himself with black magic, a guy fell backward off a cliff, or fell on their own knife, or hit themself with a misfired spell. Stuff like that.

Not to say they don't have a decent idea of what they're doing, but they tend to finish their missions more so by accident than skill.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#25 Post by aitaituo »

Rasol wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 11:47 pmAnd to everyone saying Zen has NO chance:
It's not really a debilitating injury, though it would be painful and bleed significantly without binding. He's going to be at a serious disadvantage against an equally competent fighter, but Zen can barely walk, much less maneuver for hand to hand combat. An axe is probably one of the best weapons to be forced to use in your off hand. And he can probably use his right hand pretty okay, at the cost of a lot of pain and exacerbating the injury. And that's assuming he can't magic the injury away almost entirely.

Spiffydragon
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: Remus, Evals

#26 Post by Spiffydragon »

Far fetched but I had a tickling thought that Romulus captures Zen but then has to trade him because Remus got himself captured off screen after his fall. Further onward; ask for safe harbor because Clovis would roast both of them for it.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#27 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Bellhead wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 2:13 am
Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:50 am I think it is strongly hinted that their reputation is highly inflated, by themselves no less. But at least i would expect them to be at least competent at their day job.
The legend, as regaled by Tom during a stream years ago and may have been retconned since, is that the two of them have never actually completed a mission according to plan, but up to the start of the story, had always accomplished their tasks. Isaac killed himself with black magic, a guy fell backward off a cliff, or fell on their own knife, or hit themself with a misfired spell. Stuff like that.

Not to say they don't have a decent idea of what they're doing, but they tend to finish their missions more so by accident than skill.
I am gonna go with: Competent figthers, average assasins. Have a knack with lucking it out when the situation turns sour.
aitaituo wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 2:34 am
It's not really a debilitating injury, though it would be painful and bleed significantly without binding. He's going to be at a serious disadvantage against an equally competent fighter, but Zen can barely walk, much less maneuver for hand to hand combat. An axe is probably one of the best weapons to be forced to use in your off hand. And he can probably use his right hand pretty okay, at the cost of a lot of pain and exacerbating the injury. And that's assuming he can't magic the injury away almost entirely.
Even if he cannot use his arm now if he is as magically talented as his brother there is no reason why he cannot fry Kat while she tries to escape. The axes is the least lethal thing in this guys arsenal. (even behind his disarmingly charming looks)
Spiffydragon wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 2:55 am Far fetched but I had a tickling thought that Romulus captures Zen but then has to trade him because Remus got himself captured off screen after his fall. Further onward; ask for safe harbor because Clovis would roast both of them for it.
I do not think Clovis will survive the manor, not sure about these too. I kinda expect them to get scared at some point and abandon Clovis to his own luck if they are not killed before.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Spazoid
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora

#28 Post by Spazoid »

Well played, Kat....NOW RUN LIKE HELL!!
"Boldly going forward, 'cause I can't find reverse!"

Him
The Secret Forum Mod
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#29 Post by Him »

Now this is a pleasant surprise, I was actually caught off guard by the utility of the summoning tables. I had absent-mindedly dismissed them after they were used as a plot point to steal Maren as well as relationship fuel. This was a good use of repetition and I find it quite refreshing!

Thomas Rot
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: The villager on page 224

#30 Post by Thomas Rot »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 3:05 am
aitaituo wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 2:34 am
Even if he cannot use his arm now if he is as magically talented as his brother there is no reason why he cannot fry Kat while she tries to escape. The axes is the least lethal thing in this guys arsenal. (even behind his disarmingly charming looks)
Exactly why Zen is still in severe danger even if he doesn't realise it (as is Kat, though she certainly knows it by now). Remus had spare mana crystals on him, and even after a severe testicular injury he placed eliminating the threat posed by Nibs over healing himself. Depending on exactly how deep that knife went, this injury may do more of a number on Romulus — but like his twin he probably has enough mana on him to patch himself up and have some to spare in case he needs it to neutralise Zen. Overwhelming his sense of smell with the steak's aroma may eliminate his ability to track Zen's scent but that merely puts him back to where he was before meeting Kat. If nobody else shows up fast enough he may very well be able to catch Zen unawares.

A fight between Romulus (has mana, can't use his main arm to fight unless he uses up some of said mana to heal it, can possibly wield his axe with his uninjured arm, otherwise healthy, is committed to orders to find and capture Zen, is aware that Kat might raise the alarm now and is therefore on his guard) and Zen (has no mana and doesn't know any magic, has a bad leg with freshly reopened wounds which might be reinfected and no means of healing it aside from staying in bed, otherwise relatively healthy, has some assassin skills or lack thereof, currently doesn't know about the very present and direct threat to him and is therefore not on his guard) is going to go to Romulus unless Zen has the element of surprise as Kat did here.

Kat did some extremely quick thinking here though. She basically thought herself out seconds away from being vorpal'd in twain by a mad axeman (axewolf?). Now, will she head to where she last saw Zen, or to the oasis room where she last believed everyone else to be, possibly running into Zen along the way? Next page might easily be a scene switch to whoever she meets first.