The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Emp_Dragon
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Reni

Re: Comic for May 20, 2021: Kathrin in Trouble pt2

#16 Post by Emp_Dragon »

Or...
Zen tries to hobble to the rescue, Rom pounces on him instead, and Kat saves the day by introducing Roms kidneys, liver and lungs to her pro-size fabric scissors... repeatedly...
Until she panics of realization that she's just stabbed someone to death...

Eclipse
Templar Master

#17 Post by Eclipse »

Yeah, Kat's definitely going to need someone to step in here, it's unlikely she'll be able to defend herself (I mean it's possible, but most likely she's too kindhearted to want to hurt someone). The question is more who? The most likely answer is Zen, as Kat's noticed, he's been constantly getting out of bed instead of resting (he probably wants to help the others in the Oasis Room, seeing as he would know about it through mind link). This could exacerbate his leg injury, possibly even leading to his death, which could lead to Natani needing someone else to mind link with later on. Could you imagine if Natani and Keith ended up mind linking? Their relationship is awkward enough as is, if they start literally getting in each other's heads that would be hilarious. But then again, Zen might not even need to die for that to happen, seeing as Natani and Zen's mind link is weakening to the point where Natani doesn't need it anymore. Another option could be Eric, who's been conspicuously absent since the end of the last chapter. It could be that he snuck out before everyone got locked in the Oasis Room and he could sneak up and attack Romulus to protect Kat. He's not a fighter though, and Romulus is much more threatening than the Intelligence General, so he might die in the process. But everyone seems to think Eric will die anyway and for Kat X Zen shipping to intensify, so this could be how it happens. Lynn could step in, he's off doing who knows what, but I see him as much less likely since he seems singularly concerned with whatever Keith is doing, so he's probably more concerned with breaking Keith out of the Oasis Room. Speaking of, the remaining cast in the Oasis Room blew a hole in the wall so they should be able to escape, and Natani would probably be the first to rush to help Zen, but I have a sneaking suspicion he won't join the fight until later (not sure why I believe this).

Either way, depending on how Tom wants to play this I think there's a very distinct possibility this fight could resolve the Eric/Kat/Zen love triangle going on.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#18 Post by Bellhead »

Eclipse wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:18 pm But then again, Zen might not even need to die for that to happen, seeing as Natani and Zen's mind link is weakening to the point where Natani doesn't need it anymore.
I think you're remembering This page, where Natani makes that comment. However, I'd like to add in "I'm pretty sure having Zen's mental crutch swept out from under us did that." and "And I think that fear is what's kept you trapped here." I think the link was basically just a crutch, that was supposed to be gradually less and less needed, but their bond to each other made Nat rely on it far more than he should have been. And when it was ripped away like that, he was too afraid of being alone after so many years to be able to stand on his own, as it were.

That said, I don't see any reason for him to link with Keith, especially since there's not that many people around that could do it anyway. Nat, from the time between the second ship fire and breakfast the day they retrieved Zen, was on his own, with nothing supporting him through the link. This leads me to think that Natani's mind is indeed stronger, or at least has discovered more strength, rather than the link weakening. Seeing something that was previously weaker than you suddenly become as strong as you are, would make anyone think they were getting weaker. As such, I believe that as time goes on, the importance of the link would be downgraded from "keep Nat alive" to "handy communication and memory sharing tool". Not to say it would ever disappear, but that it would never play as crucial a role as it previously did.

That said...
I'd also like to reiterate the theory that having Natani rely more on himself would leave Zen feeling lonely, and he would then have more reason to spend time with Kat, the other lonely soul in need of a companion. I really think those two have some chemistry, even though they kinda just met. Zen needs somebody to cling to, and Kat needs somebody to want her.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Eclipse
Templar Master

#19 Post by Eclipse »

Bellhead wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:08 am I think you're remembering This page, where Natani makes that comment. However, I'd like to add in "I'm pretty sure having Zen's mental crutch swept out from under us did that." and "And I think that fear is what's kept you trapped here." I think the link was basically just a crutch, that was supposed to be gradually less and less needed, but their bond to each other made Nat rely on it far more than he should have been. And when it was ripped away like that, he was too afraid of being alone after so many years to be able to stand on his own, as it were.

That said, I don't see any reason for him to link with Keith, especially since there's not that many people around that could do it anyway. Nat, from the time between the second ship fire and breakfast the day they retrieved Zen, was on his own, with nothing supporting him through the link. This leads me to think that Natani's mind is indeed stronger, or at least has discovered more strength, rather than the link weakening. Seeing something that was previously weaker than you suddenly become as strong as you are, would make anyone think they were getting weaker. As such, I believe that as time goes on, the importance of the link would be downgraded from "keep Nat alive" to "handy communication and memory sharing tool". Not to say it would ever disappear, but that it would never play as crucial a role as it previously did.

That said...
I'd also like to reiterate the theory that having Natani rely more on himself would leave Zen feeling lonely, and he would then have more reason to spend time with Kat, the other lonely soul in need of a companion. I really think those two have some chemistry, even though they kinda just met. Zen needs somebody to cling to, and Kat needs somebody to want her.
No, I mean "need" in terms of "keep Nat alive", which she literally has been alive for a while with the link being down.

As far as Keith, I'm just thinking that if Tom really wants to go that route, Natani could just get injured again, maybe through fighting Clovis. And then maybe Reni would know how to mind link them, or Clovis could create the new one as an ultimatum to get Natani back under his thumb. But this is all just wishful thinking, more of "it would be funny if Natani/Keith were mind linked" moreso than "I seriously believe this will happen". Maybe someone can request this as a daily sketch instead?

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#20 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Emp_Dragon wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 5:03 pm Or...
Zen tries to hobble to the rescue, Rom pounces on him instead, and Kat saves the day by introducing Roms kidneys, liver and lungs to her pro-size fabric scissors... repeatedly...
Until she panics of realization that she's just stabbed someone to death...
Interesting I think no one suggested before Kat somehow killing Romulus. I think it is an interesting posibility, Zen fails to save Kat and not only that bue she manages to save him. Not sure his damaged ego could take that. Also I don't think we will see multiple stabbing here, it is a bit graphic for the tone, not that we have not seen worse before but still....
Eclipse wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:18 pm Yeah, Kat's definitely going to need someone to step in here, it's unlikely she'll be able to defend herself (I mean it's possible, but most likely she's too kindhearted to want to hurt someone). The question is more who? The most likely answer is Zen, as Kat's noticed, he's been constantly getting out of bed instead of resting (he probably wants to help the others in the Oasis Room, seeing as he would know about it through mind link). This could exacerbate his leg injury, possibly even leading to his death, which could lead to Natani needing someone else to mind link with later on. Could you imagine if Natani and Keith ended up mind linking? Their relationship is awkward enough as is, if they start literally getting in each other's heads that would be hilarious. But then again, Zen might not even need to die for that to happen, seeing as Natani and Zen's mind link is weakening to the point where Natani doesn't need it anymore. Another option could be Eric, who's been conspicuously absent since the end of the last chapter. It could be that he snuck out before everyone got locked in the Oasis Room and he could sneak up and attack Romulus to protect Kat. He's not a fighter though, and Romulus is much more threatening than the Intelligence General, so he might die in the process. But everyone seems to think Eric will die anyway and for Kat X Zen shipping to intensify, so this could be how it happens. Lynn could step in, he's off doing who knows what, but I see him as much less likely since he seems singularly concerned with whatever Keith is doing, so he's probably more concerned with breaking Keith out of the Oasis Room. Speaking of, the remaining cast in the Oasis Room blew a hole in the wall so they should be able to escape, and Natani would probably be the first to rush to help Zen, but I have a sneaking suspicion he won't join the fight until later (not sure why I believe this).

Either way, depending on how Tom wants to play this I think there's a very distinct possibility this fight could resolve the Eric/Kat/Zen love triangle going on.
Eric could try to jump to the rescue only to get killed by Romulus, it is a nice way to write that character out, in a tiny flash of heroism. Personally i do not see much development in Eric so it could happen but alas Tom has dragged him along for a significant part of the story now and he does not seem like wanting him out.
Also there is no real love triangle at the moment. Eric convinced himself Kat is his sister, Kat is trying to find some other romantic interest and Zen just meet her like yesterday. However if Tom intents to pair those two Zen saving her is like the ideal starting point for that.
Bellhead wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:08 am -Living NAt snip-
That said...
Just as a curious archiving note: I thing at some point, when Nat first went catatonic someone theorized Nat did not really existed. So basically Natani had been dead all along and what we saw was a projection of Zen memories of his brother onto his body a golem if you will. Obviously this was not the case but i think it is an interesting bit of history.

Zen not only feels lonely with Nat making a "pack", Kat words not mine, with Keith and being completely independent from him. He also feels like an incompetent big Brother who has consistently failed to protect Natani. They both need a shoulder to cry on but I hope their relationship goes beyond just " I am lonely and/or desperate, please be with me"
Eclipse wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:29 am -another snip-
As far as Keith, I'm just thinking that if Tom really wants to go that route, Natani could just get injured again, maybe through fighting Clovis. And then maybe Reni would know how to mind link them, or Clovis could create the new one as an ultimatum to get Natani back under his thumb. But this is all just wishful thinking, more of "it would be funny if Natani/Keith were mind linked" moreso than "I seriously believe this will happen". Maybe someone can request this as a daily sketch instead?
Well maybe they could make a less radical spell so they can "read their minds" or something. You know simply because the love each other a lot and would like to be able to stay connected even when far apart.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Eclipse
Templar Master

#21 Post by Eclipse »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 2:55 am Eric could try to jump to the rescue only to get killed by Romulus, it is a nice way to write that character out, in a tiny flash of heroism. Personally i do not see much development in Eric so it could happen but alas Tom has dragged him along for a significant part of the story now and he does not seem like wanting him out.
Tom doesn't really seem to have much of a penchant for killing off characters. Until this chapter we didn't have any characters die since what... the Basidian Islands arc? And even then, so far it's only been 1, maybe 2 minor characters. It doesn't seem like he has a plan for the character but it doesn't seem like he wants to kill Eric off though. But I could be wrong, I've been wrong before (I was in the "Clovis cares about his men" camp and that was dead wrong), so the possibility is at least worth discussing.
Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 2:55 am Also there is no real love triangle at the moment. Eric convinced himself Kat is his sister, Kat is trying to find some other romantic interest and Zen just meet her like yesterday. However if Tom intents to pair those two Zen saving her is like the ideal starting point for that.
Kat really hasn't displayed a desire to find someone else, as far as we know she still likes Eric. Really if anything is preventing this from being a love triangle, it's that there's been no real evidence that Zen is interested in Kat and the whole Kat X Zen pairing is so far just fan projection, but until we see for sure that Kat has moved on from Eric I think it's fair to call it a love triangle.
Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 2:55 am Well maybe they could make a less radical spell so they can "read their minds" or something. You know simply because the love each other a lot and would like to be able to stay connected even when far apart.
Not sure that Natani would want Keith in his head if given the choice. He's already got Zen and her younger self bugging her. Keith being in there as well would drive her insane.

Spiffydragon
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: Remus, Evals

#22 Post by Spiffydragon »

Indeed, some stories have characters dying left and right, some don't; it depends if the writer as well as what type of story they want. Two Kinds seems to be more of a "almost everyone will live" type and that's perfectly fine. Sometimes you make a character, they were supposed to die, but stuff changes because you start to care. I still have my fingers crossed for Brutus and the merc twins; they would make for excellent additions.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#23 Post by Warrl »

Eclipse wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 4:10 am Not sure that Natani would want Keith in his head if given the choice.
I remember reading a story where telepathy was commonplace, and you knew you had met your true lifemate when you LOST the ability to read their mind...

FuryoftheStars
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: ---

#24 Post by FuryoftheStars »

Spiffydragon wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:52 am I still have my fingers crossed for Brutus and the merc twins; they would make for excellent additions.
I feel as though the story would start becoming really lame if all the bad guys sent up against Trace & Co were merely converted to their cause instead.

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#25 Post by AmigaDragon »

Spiffydragon wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:52 amI still have my fingers crossed for Brutus and the merc twins; they would make for excellent additions.
Brutus I can accept but the twins would be a bad idea (if they survive).
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#26 Post by aitaituo »

FuryoftheStars wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 1:53 pm
Spiffydragon wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:52 am I still have my fingers crossed for Brutus and the merc twins; they would make for excellent additions.
I feel as though the story would start becoming really lame if all the bad guys sent up against Trace & Co were merely converted to their cause instead.
I think we have enough characters as it is. I would be happy to see Eric, Mike, Evals, Lynn, and Sealeen's crew fade away. Reni, Kei, Maeve, and Adira are fine as one offs for this arc, but we don't need them to hang around.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#27 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Eclipse wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 4:10 am
Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 2:55 am Also there is no real love triangle at the moment. Eric convinced himself Kat is his sister, Kat is trying to find some other romantic interest and Zen just meet her like yesterday. However if Tom intents to pair those two Zen saving her is like the ideal starting point for that.
Kat really hasn't displayed a desire to find someone else, as far as we know she still likes Eric. Really if anything is preventing this from being a love triangle, it's that there's been no real evidence that Zen is interested in Kat and the whole Kat X Zen pairing is so far just fan projection, but until we see for sure that Kat has moved on from Eric I think it's fair to call it a love triangle.
Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 2:55 am Well maybe they could make a less radical spell so they can "read their minds" or something. You know simply because the love each other a lot and would like to be able to stay connected even when far apart.
Not sure that Natani would want Keith in his head if given the choice. He's already got Zen and her younger self bugging her. Keith being in there as well would drive her insane.
She told Nat, while catatonic, that if his "thing" with Keith did not work out and if he was interested. She was available

Not necessarily another link but something like light telepathy? Sounds useful.
aitaituo wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 8:40 pm
FuryoftheStars wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 1:53 pm
I think we have enough characters as it is. I would be happy to see Eric, Mike, Evals, Lynn, and Sealeen's crew fade away. Reni, Kei, Maeve, and Adira are fine as one offs for this arc, but we don't need them to hang around.
Sure he does not have to kill every single secondary character but I agree there is already a lot of them as it is. Maybe phasing them out? He can always make side comics/ sketches with them.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide