Comic for April 25, 2021: Clovis vs. Reni

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Re: Comic for April 25, 2021: Clovis vs. Reni

#31 Post by Bellhead »

You're right about that. We may have a problem here.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Dreamfox
Citizen

#32 Post by Dreamfox »

The interesting part of the circle around Brutus is that Clovis and his protective bubble has been moved, but the line of fire around Brutus is untouched and far to smooth, Brutus also seems to lie where he originally fell (though I could be wrong). One guess would be that someone else is protecting Brutus which means he might not be as dead as Clovis thinks. A spell of protection against poison followed by a sleep spell?
We will see.

Rasol
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith

#33 Post by Rasol »

Dreamfox wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:22 am The interesting part of the circle around Brutus is that Clovis and his protective bubble has been moved, but the line of fire around Brutus is untouched and far to smooth, Brutus also seems to lie where he originally fell (though I could be wrong). One guess would be that someone else is protecting Brutus which means he might not be as dead as Clovis thinks. A spell of protection against poison followed by a sleep spell?
We will see.
More plausible explanation: Clovis was standing on top of Brutus' body when Reni blasted him. Therefore his protection shield stopped the initial fire from Scorching Brutus, not by choice, but by happenstance. Of course, the blast also seemed to have a pretty high concussive force, which is what knocked Clovis back.

Dreamfox
Citizen

#34 Post by Dreamfox »

Rasol wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:47 pm
Dreamfox wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:22 am The interesting part of the circle around Brutus is that Clovis and his protective bubble has been moved, but the line of fire around Brutus is untouched and far to smooth, Brutus also seems to lie where he originally fell (though I could be wrong). One guess would be that someone else is protecting Brutus which means he might not be as dead as Clovis thinks. A spell of protection against poison followed by a sleep spell?
We will see.
More plausible explanation: Clovis was standing on top of Brutus' body when Reni blasted him. Therefore his protection shield stopped the initial fire from Scorching Brutus, not by choice, but by happenstance. Of course, the blast also seemed to have a pretty high concussive force, which is what knocked Clovis back.
That's why this puzzles me. Reni's blast is still going when Clovis hits the wall, but Brutus' body is completely untouched. Not only by the fire, but also by the concussive force. While I admit, that Reni could have enough control over her blast to do that, the question is why should she? Unless of course Brutus isn't as dead as he looks, something Reni would know.
We also know, unless Nora used magic, that there is a lot more to Dragon telepathy considering Nora's memory in Trace's mind could react to Reni 'prying' back in 958. Should Nora still recouperate sleeping this is even more impressive.
I usually try to find the most simple solution when I speculate about stuff like thatg. More complex answers often lead to more and more questions. Though I'm always happy when the writer comes up with stuff I didn't. Just as happy as I will be if I'm right once in a while. So, we'll see :D

Sky Shatter
Citizen

#35 Post by Sky Shatter »

aitaituo wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:40 pm Or Reni intentionally avoided hitting Brutus.
The only explanation really, apart from a 3rd party being involved. The theories about it being the effect of Clovis' shield ignores two things: one, the idea that it means Reni's aim was off, and two, that the shield moved with Clovis, so once displaced from standing over Brutus' body, the wolf would've been scorched, because the fireball was still very much hammering the shield when the fox hit the wall.

steelabjur
Council Member

#36 Post by steelabjur »

Sky Shatter wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:31 am
aitaituo wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:40 pm Or Reni intentionally avoided hitting Brutus.
The only explanation really, apart from a 3rd party being involved. The theories about it being the effect of Clovis' shield ignores two things: one, the idea that it means Reni's aim was off, and two, that the shield moved with Clovis, so once displaced from standing over Brutus' body, the wolf would've been scorched, because the fireball was still very much hammering the shield when the fox hit the wall.
Maybe Reni aimed center mass on a standing Clovis and the fire on the ground was cast off from the outer edge of a fireball that followed along with the shielded Clovis rather than a continued gout of flame? Brutus might have avoided the concussive force of the blast just because he was laying on the ground. It looks like the amulet might have drawn some of the magic from the fire as well.

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#37 Post by MuonNeutrino »

I think there's a slightly simpler possible explanation that's being overlooked here. When Reni was attacking Clovis and his crew on the wall, Clovis makes a point of saying that their magic would protect them from a dragon's fire. However, none of them seems to feel the need to immediately cast a spell, just like Clovis didn't need to actively cast a spell here to be protected (and, for that matter, he didn't need to actively cast a spell to protect himself when entering the mansion either). So to me that suggests that they simply had already cast whatever protective shield spell they thought they were going to need, which then would manifest when needed. In that case, then perhaps that shield spell simply hasn't run out yet on Brutus. I suppose this could also be meant as a subtle hint that he hasn't expired yet, given I doubt the spell would still be active in that case.

Alternative idea, the amulet just projected a shield around Brutus as well as one around Clovis. I mean, Trace projected a shield around Adira that one time, so a shield doesn't *have* to be around the caster only. This could just be part of the amulet's magic if it's enchanted as some sort of anti-dragon artifact, or perhaps it could be a hint at Clovis's conflicted emotions if the amulet protected Brutus because subconsciously Clovis still wants him alive.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#38 Post by Bellhead »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:27 pm Alternative idea, the amulet just projected a shield around Brutus as well as one around Clovis.
Counterpoint: Clovis didn't get the amulet until after the attack on the town, so whatever was protecting them during that time was in place before the amulet even came into play.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#39 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Bellhead wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:49 pm
MuonNeutrino wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:27 pm Alternative idea, the amulet just projected a shield around Brutus as well as one around Clovis.
Counterpoint: Clovis didn't get the amulet until after the attack on the town, so whatever was protecting them during that time was in place before the amulet even came into play.
Yyp, that's why I called it an *alternative* idea, the two weren't meant to be linked. One option is they already had shield spells cast which are still active, another option is that the shield came from the amulet this time (regardless of whether or not they had shield spells previously). I probably could have worded that a bit more clearly.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#40 Post by Bellhead »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:52 pm
Bellhead wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:49 pm
Yyp, that's why I called it an *alternative* idea, the two weren't meant to be linked. One option is they already had shield spells cast which are still active, another option is that the shield came from the amulet this time (regardless of whether or not they had shield spells previously). I probably could have worded that a bit more clearly.
That makes sense. Could be that whatever spell wore off, and the amulet's enchantment was stronger anyway.

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#41 Post by AmigaDragon »

Dreamfox wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:18 am We also know, unless Nora used magic, that there is a lot more to Dragon telepathy considering Nora's memory in Trace's mind could react to Reni 'prying' back in 958. Should Nora still recouperate sleeping this is even more impressive.
I usually try to find the most simple solution when I speculate about stuff like thatg. More complex answers often lead to more and more questions. Though I'm always happy when the writer comes up with stuff I didn't. Just as happy as I will be if I'm right once in a while. So, we'll see :D
I think the simplest explanation for Nora's reaction is precognition, making a scan of Trace's memory the same as a detectable scry.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

SmileWolf
Fav. Twokinds Character: hmmm.. Reni, atm, I guess

#42 Post by SmileWolf »

Young small dragon inexperienced with magic vs big magic weapon geared specifically towards dragons sounds like really bad news for Reni. :( Would love to be wrong though.

Of course Nora loves to use a cat form, perhaps she has awoken from her healing sleep.. I don't think she would take kindly to some impudent keidran trying to injure or kill a dragon. :nora:

FuryoftheStars
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: ---

#43 Post by FuryoftheStars »

SmileWolf wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:56 am Young small dragon inexperienced with magic vs big magic weapon geared specifically towards dragons sounds like really bad news for Reni. :( Would love to be wrong though.
Yeah, that’s my concern, too.
SmileWolf wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:56 am Of course Nora loves to use a cat form, perhaps she has awoken from her healing sleep.. I don't think she would take kindly to some impudent keidran trying to injure or kill a dragon. :nora:
While that is true, and was one of my first thoughts as well, closer inspection shows a shading difference down the nose, indicating this cat isn’t a solid (white) color, meaning it’s doubtful that it’s Nora. :(

If it’s the seer girl, then a part of me wonders if Braun is going to betray Clovis at a critical moment and, maybe through some secret knowledge/backdoor that was put in the gem, turn it off. But I don’t know if something like that is possible in this world.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#44 Post by Bellhead »

FuryoftheStars wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:06 pm
SmileWolf wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:56 am Of course Nora loves to use a cat form, perhaps she has awoken from her healing sleep.. I don't think she would take kindly to some impudent keidran trying to injure or kill a dragon. :nora:
While that is true, and was one of my first thoughts as well, closer inspection shows a shading difference down the nose, indicating this cat isn’t a solid (white) color, meaning it’s doubtful that it’s Nora. :(

If it’s the seer girl, then a part of me wonders if Braun is going to betray Clovis at a critical moment and, maybe through some secret knowledge/backdoor that was put in the gem, turn it off. But I don’t know if something like that is possible in this world.
Couple things. Last we heard from Nora, she was entering a "long sleep" of sorts, in that cave. Also note her lines Here, "I'd feel better if I wasn't going into this long sleep alone", and "... But I'm... I understand, Trace." Would Nora, the oldest and strongest of dragons, have a reason to be so worried and lonely, and hesitant to sleep alone, if it was only for a month? Besides, we'd know if it was her. She never could resist shenanigans.

As for the Seer angle, I think that's most plausible here. Maybe not his daughter, but I'd bet it's one of the two of them, especially given that it was Brahn who gave him that amulet in the first place.

In relations to Brahn being able to "turn off" the amulet at a critical moment, I'd say that's definitely possible, and though I can't link it right now, I'll cite Clovis' "backdoor" into Nat and Zen's link as depicted in TDM. He was able to not only appear in their presence in ethereal form and read their minds, but when needed, could also take over Natani's body by force, unlike what he and Zen can do. Brahn programming in a kill switch for an overpowered rare amulet he's giving to a self-serving greedy fox-wolf head of a guild of assassins, seems less "maybe he did" and more "I wonder when he'll use it", even more so when you consider what the Templar are capable of when magic is involved.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#45 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Bellhead wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:34 pm
FuryoftheStars wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:06 pm

Couple things. Last we heard from Nora, she was entering a "long sleep" of sorts, in that cave. Also note her lines Here, "I'd feel better if I wasn't going into this long sleep alone", and "... But I'm... I understand, Trace." Would Nora, the oldest and strongest of dragons, have a reason to be so worried and lonely, and hesitant to sleep alone, if it was only for a month? Besides, we'd know if it was her. She never could resist shenanigans.

As for the Seer angle, I think that's most plausible here. Maybe not his daughter, but I'd bet it's one of the two of them, especially given that it was Brahn who gave him that amulet in the first place.

In relations to Brahn being able to "turn off" the amulet at a critical moment, I'd say that's definitely possible, and though I can't link it right now, I'll cite Clovis' "backdoor" into Nat and Zen's link as depicted in TDM. He was able to not only appear in their presence in ethereal form and read their minds, but when needed, could also take over Natani's body by force, unlike what he and Zen can do. Brahn programming in a kill switch for an overpowered rare amulet he's giving to a self-serving greedy fox-wolf head of a guild of assassins, seems less "maybe he did" and more "I wonder when he'll use it", even more so when you consider what the Templar are capable of when magic is involved.
Nora Worried? Not about herself at least Perhaps worried about her friend Trace going to do god only knows what. Maybe next time she wakes up Trace will be gone this time for good. I can see her worrying about that.

And loneliness? Well all the power in the world won't get your friends nor people who really care for you. People will respect and/or fear you but will be harder for them to love you. On top of that i think Trace is the only real friend Nora has at current time. I can totally see Nora, under all that trickster persona as fundamentally alone.

As for the kill switch I imagine after a bug fight Clovis is about to deliver the killer blow to Reni. And then Brahn projects himself through the gem and says: "i still have need for the dragon princess" or something to that effect and turns off Clovis amulet. Reni then proceeds to smash him into a smooth paste
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide