Comic for March 27, 2021: Follow that Squirrel

#1 Post by Cornchip »

Sketch: http://twokindscomic.com/images/20210327_sketch.png

Nothing wrong with following Nibs!

Eclipse
Templar Master

Re: Comic for March 27, 2021: Follow that Squirrel

#2 Post by Eclipse »

She probably knows about the ritual somehow (the theory about Nibs being that dragon Trace summoned seems plausible). Be careful what you ask for Sythe.

Cosmacelf
Apprentice

#3 Post by Cosmacelf »

Eclipse wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:32 pm She probably knows about the ritual somehow (the theory about Nibs being that dragon Trace summoned seems plausible). Be careful what you ask for Sythe.
OR, as a dragon, she knows what else is going on in the manor, like Reni does.

At any rate, it is pretty obvious that Mrs. Nibbly isn’t going to turn on Sythe no matter what she is. And if Sythe is concerned about Maren, then so is Mrs. Nibbly and she might save Trace’s butt in the bargain. Which might, finally, force a reveal of who or what she is.

I love Mrs. Nibbly’s expression in the top panel when she looks at Sythe. “Your worry is my worry, follow me!”

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#4 Post by Bellhead »

Seems like Tom is making up for lost time with these recent updates. And Sythe, FIND SOME PANTS, PLEASE.
... not that we don't appreciate it, but still... :wink: :roll:

Now, on a more serious note. *steeples fingers*
Nibs is clearly not an ordinary squirrel, and she's obviously got a ton of power. I'd be willing to bet that, whatever she is, she has some... connection to magic. Now if I take a moment to engage in some trippy-ness, I'd bet that magic has some sort of current to it, like the flow of energy through the world, and all that. Now if a particular being, on the magic level of a dragon (for instance) were in close proximity to a large flow of mana, would it not be similar to a disturbance in the force? If that's anything close to how that works, it's conceivable that Nibs can just sense the shear amount of dark mana throughout the manor, and can likely equate it to Maren's life force, having lived with her for several... probably weeks, by now. Factor in Nibs' clear level of heightened intelligence, and it seems obvious that she'd know where to go. Or in which direction, at least.

And of course, beaten and battered and nursing several injuries, Sythe isn't about to question anything. As evidenced by his last quote. He's done thinking about anything much, at this point.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#5 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Cosmacelf wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:40 pm
Eclipse wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:32 pm She probably knows about the ritual somehow (the theory about Nibs being that dragon Trace summoned seems plausible). Be careful what you ask for Sythe.
OR, as a dragon, she knows what else is going on in the manor, like Reni does.

At any rate, it is pretty obvious that Mrs. Nibbly isn’t going to turn on Sythe no matter what she is. And if Sythe is concerned about Maren, then so is Mrs. Nibbly and she might save Trace’s butt in the bargain. Which might, finally, force a reveal of who or what she is.

I love Mrs. Nibbly’s expression in the top panel when she looks at Sythe. “Your worry is my worry, follow me!”
Well considering the nature or the ritual it likely uses a lot of mana, so any two bit mage or magical creature would likely be able to "feel" the source of the ritual or at least realize there is something real wrong going on. It is also nice to see Nibs has no quarrel against Maren, considering she is very attached to our wolf boy I thought she may become a bit jealous about their relationship, and since she is not a normal squirrel.. Well lets just say i hope Nibs is not the jealous type for Maren sake.
Bellhead wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:58 pm Seems like Tom is making up for lost time with these recent updates. And Sythe, FIND SOME PANTS, PLEASE.
... not that we don't appreciate it, but still... :wink: :roll:

Now, on a more serious note. *steeples fingers*
Nibs is clearly not an ordinary squirrel, and she's obviously got a ton of power. I'd be willing to bet that, whatever she is, she has some... connection to magic. Now if I take a moment to engage in some trippy-ness, I'd bet that magic has some sort of current to it, like the flow of energy through the world, and all that. Now if a particular being, on the magic level of a dragon (for instance) were in close proximity to a large flow of mana, would it not be similar to a disturbance in the force? If that's anything close to how that works, it's conceivable that Nibs can just sense the shear amount of dark mana throughout the manor, and can likely equate it to Maren's life force, having lived with her for several... probably weeks, by now. Factor in Nibs' clear level of heightened intelligence, and it seems obvious that she'd know where to go. Or in which direction, at least.

And of course, beaten and battered and nursing several injuries, Sythe isn't about to question anything. As evidenced by his last quote. He's done thinking about anything much, at this point.
We have a saying about that in my country, the pants not the magic flow:
Spoiler!
Saying wrote: No prendas el boiler si no te vas a bañar.
I you figure out what that means i owe you a cookie.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Cosmacelf
Apprentice

#6 Post by Cosmacelf »

Nah! Nibs wouldn't be jealous of Maren. Her relationship with Sythe looks to be platonic. I mean, even assuming she can shape shift, of course. Nibs is aware of what's going on, but appears very innocent about it all. Remember when she looked into Sythe's mouth when he was snoring? Innocently curious would be how I would describe her. Just don't cross her friend!

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#7 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Cosmacelf wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:49 am Nah! Nibs wouldn't be jealous of Maren. Her relationship with Sythe looks to be platonic. I mean, even assuming she can shape shift, of course. Nibs is aware of what's going on, but appears very innocent about it all. Remember when she looked into Sythe's mouth when he was snoring? Innocently curious would be how I would describe her. Just don't cross her friend!
She does seem to act innocently like child and treats Sythe more as a big brother or a paternal figure than something else. Yet kids can get jealous when their parents start dating.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Spiffydragon
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: Remus, Evals

#8 Post by Spiffydragon »

Remus *may* be alive? yay! <3 hopefully he isn't torched by Clovis or killed by other means.

Cosmacelf
Apprentice

#9 Post by Cosmacelf »

Spiffydragon wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:12 am Remus *may* be alive? yay! <3 hopefully he isn't torched by Clovis or killed by other means.
Someone here has a thing for manly wolves! (Says the person with a wolf avatar!)

HiseyLeSnake
Traveler

#10 Post by HiseyLeSnake »

Spiffydragon wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:12 am Remus *may* be alive? yay! <3 hopefully he isn't torched by Clovis or killed by other means.
the chance he died is the same as it was in the death panel. It was an off screen death, so if Tom wants him to live he will be alive, that's just how off screen deaths work. As for the line said here it changed nothing, it's from a character that has no knowledge of Remus's current state. It's just Sythe saying let's get out of here because worse case scenario the fall didn't kill him.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#11 Post by Bellhead »

HiseyLeSnake wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:13 pm
the chance he died is the same as it was in the death panel. It was an off screen death, so if Tom wants him to live he will be alive, that's just how off screen deaths work. As for the line said here it changed nothing, it's from a character that has no knowledge of Remus's current state. It's just Sythe saying let's get out of here because worse case scenario the fall didn't kill him.
That's a frustratingly good point. Between what Sythe said, and the fact that we don't see Remus actually dead on the floor, I'd actually bet that he's still alive, at least a little bit. At this point, I'd wager that when Clovis finds him on his way out, Remus will try to say that he was attacked by some monster, and Clovis will see it as him making excuses, and kill him then.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

steelabjur
Council Member

#12 Post by steelabjur »

Bellhead wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:08 pm
That's a frustratingly good point. Between what Sythe said, and the fact that we don't see Remus actually dead on the floor, I'd actually bet that he's still alive, at least a little bit. At this point, I'd wager that when Clovis finds him on his way out, Remus will try to say that he was attacked by some monster, and Clovis will see it as him making excuses, and kill him then.
"Character is alive until we see a cold corpse" is how I used to play D&D.

Some random thoughts, if Nibs can sense magic that might be why she was attracted to Group B. She appears for the first time in the comic after Raine's magic suppressor is broken and Zen (using magic) attacked them. In a forest there is probably few if any sources of magic as powerful as Raine's latent transformation ability or Zen's illusions.

Remus suggested Nibbly might be a Familiar, meaning they are most likely a thing in this world. He might have been right. A familiar (also known as a familiar spirit) is a supernatural entity that assists witches and other magic users. They typically take an animal form, but are able to transform and can take other shapes as required. The main purpose of familiars is to provide protection for their masters as they came into their new powers. Given the absolutely shambolic teaching of magic in keidran culture (at least as far as we've seen), Remus might have been aware that familiars were a thing but unaware of their transformative abilities or supernatural status, which would explain why he reacted to Nibs attack. She might have been afraid of Reni due to her having the ability to reveal that she isn't a true squirrel (since Nibbly is using transformation magic rather than illusions, Reni's natural telepathy is the only way to suss her out), or it might have been respect for a more powerful supernatural creature (as dragons are literally creatures of magic).

stlsf4003
Apprentice

#13 Post by stlsf4003 »

Bellhead wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:08 pm
Perhaps the reason we haven't seen a body yet is due to the fact if Remus did indeed land on his head in any way from a fall like that, the results would definitely not be PG in the slightest. I don't think Tom would have the balls to draw someone with their head split wide open.

Then again, we sort of got a glimpse of the aftermath of the Basitin general being put through the metaphorical meat grinder at the end of the Island arc. So who knows?
the lurking furry railroader

Warrl
Grand Templar

#14 Post by Warrl »

Perhaps the reason we haven't seen a body yet is due to the fact if Remus did indeed land on his head in any way from a fall like that, the results would definitely not be PG in the slightest. I don't think Tom would have the balls to draw someone with their head split wide open.
Alternatively, landing on his head just wrong could leave his head with no super-obvious damage but his neck quite obviously broken.

IAMZID
Traveler

#15 Post by IAMZID »

oh hey it's Carver! i guess even bad guys get happy endings sometimes, even if it's not the one they wanted. actually he may be being held captive at this point, or something like that. Hard to believe that it's been almost 3 years to the day since we've seen Carver last, but only like 2 days in comic time have passed.
i'm just a man.