Comic for March 24, 2021: Seeing Things

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Warrl
Grand Templar

Re: Comic for March 24, 2021: Seeing Things

#16 Post by Warrl »

Him wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:21 am Perhaps I'm stubborn... but I'm not convinced she's a dragon still. Her black form with yellow eyes is similar to the dark figure on chapter cover 848 https://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/848/
Behind the mountain upper-center, or on the signboard lower-left?

If the latter, that notice is in good condition so hasn't been posted for long. (Although it could be a repeat posting.) It would take a while for something squirrel-size and non-flying to get from Edinmire to where Sythe and Nibbly met.

SangheiliSpecOp
Traveler

#17 Post by SangheiliSpecOp »

Warrl wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:05 am
Him wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:21 am Perhaps I'm stubborn... but I'm not convinced she's a dragon still. Her black form with yellow eyes is similar to the dark figure on chapter cover 848 https://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/848/

If the latter, that notice is in good condition so hasn't been posted for long. (Although it could be a repeat posting.) It would take a while for something squirrel-size and non-flying to get from Edinmire to where Sythe and Nibbly met.
Look on top of the building to right, you will see. It took me a second too, and I was spooked lol

Tyger42
Apprentice

#18 Post by Tyger42 »

steelabjur wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:00 am Good old unreliable narrator trope, since we're seeing Nibs from Sythe's POV, and even he thinks he may have a concussion, we can't be certain of anything other than the last panel.
Kinda stretching it a bit thin at this point on top of everything else, though.

Mork
Fav. Twokinds Character: nibbly

#19 Post by Mork »

i think that nibbs is what was left of the dragon on 228.
it would explain why Nibbly is afraid of dragons.

Delta-v

#20 Post by Delta-v »

Just before Remus attacked her, she picked up a mana crystal (https://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/1138/, last panel). Why would anyone need mana to drop a disguise? Make a disguise, or change a disguise, yes, but dropping one? And if the purpose was to make a shield, why would a dragon need an anti-fire shield?

I'm not convinced that Sneaky Tom has given us a glimpse of Nibs' real form. yet ^^

Dreamfox
Citizen

#21 Post by Dreamfox »

Cosmacelf wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:28 amFor those that worry that Nibbly isn’t a baby dragon, you have to explain why she is really nervous around Reni.
I'm not saying she isn't a dragon, but there is an easy explanation why she is nervous around Reni and maybe any other dragon. Because whatever she is, dragons are the only ones that can easily see through her disguise or shapeshifted form.
Mork wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:36 ami think that nibbs is what was left of the dragon on 228.
it would explain why Nibbly is afraid of dragons.
There would have to be some coincidences at work, like Nora overlooking the remnant or how she met with team B from the point where that dragon was 'destroyed', but those would only be unlikely, not impossible.
It would explain a lot of things if we assume the remant had no memories at all and a squirrel was the first it came across and copied it. If you look for it, Nibbly's behavior can be seen as a newly born being that is curious and learns. With draconic mindreading she will have picked up a lot by now. Common stuff from Maren and Karen, diplomacy from Sythe, theater play, combat and some magic from Red , more magic from Raine and stealth/surprise attacks from Zen...

I'm not a betting man, but you are on a theory I like.
Let's see where the story goes :squirrel:

Mork

#22 Post by Mork »

225 page Nora: A man-made dragon…
225 page Nora: How cute…
229 page Nora: (thoughts) Hm… looks like I’m going to have to interfere…
241 page Nora: (thoughts) Trace, I’ll finish him off! Don’t go overboard like you usually do…!

Dreamfox
like Nora overlooking the remnant
the dragon seamed too be linked to Trace so Nora my have not killed it.
also Nora doesn't seam to like to kill things she's more likely to curse things then kill them.

Dreamfox
how she met with team B from the point where that dragon was 'destroyed'
Nibbly my have moved faster then a normal squirrel also Nora my have wanted Nibbly to meet up with team B and chased her in there direction.

Dreamfox
It would explain a lot of things if we assume the remant had no memories at all and a squirrel was the first it came across and copied it. If you look for it, Nibbly's behavior can be seen as a newly born being that is curious and learns. With draconic mindreading she will have picked up a lot by now. Common stuff from Maren and Karen, diplomacy from Sythe, theater play, combat and some magic from Red , more magic from Raine and stealth/surprise attacks from Zen...
yes that i really agree with that.

page 1141 panel to seams like Nibbly is made by dark magic or dark energy.

will have to wait and only time will tell

sorry Dreamfox i dont know how to quote text here get the users wrote in this forum. sorry

edited

just remember this chapter has been about shape shifting.

page 1075 Reni: (thoughts) I suppose I could try… erm… I’ll be right back! I need to go change

page 1084 Raine and Nibbly.
after she learnd how to shape shift.

page 1119 Nibbly is at beach.
so she could have picked up how to change form by mind reading Reni and Raine.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#23 Post by Warrl »

SangheiliSpecOp wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:03 am
Warrl wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:05 am

Look on top of the building to right, you will see. It took me a second too, and I was spooked lol
Ah. It can't be Mrs. Nibbly, though, unless she's able to go from Edinmire to wherever Team B is, and back, at least once or twice a day.

It may be another one of whatever Mrs. Nibbly is.

However, with that subtle and quiet an intro I doubt that it (as distinct from Nibs) will ever be important to the story.

Zaigan
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#24 Post by Zaigan »

Nibbly is made of shadow energy, not like, normal dragon material. She isn't going to be just a baby dragon because that would make the April Fool's joke no longer work. The set up was that Raine, I believe speculated that she was a baby dragon in the live comic, and then in the gag comic that followed the next day it was confirmed only for Tom to immediately say "April Fool's, that's not really true."

He knew what Nibbly was at the time, he had decided she was special, but not a dragon, which is why he made that a punchline. It wouldn't make sense for him to go with Nibs as a dragon as a joke only for her to actually be a dragon. She can't be a dragon because of this.

She's made of shadow energy, like a shade or phantom of some kind. You can see this even clearer in the sketch. Doesn't Detritus also sort of have the flickering wispy matter thing going for him? I suppose she could be an attempt by Trace to make a pseudodragon familiar, to use the DnD term.

It was a couple of years since Trace did his experiments, wasn't it? I'm sure if he created something that could leave his manor, she could have traveled quite a distance, since she probably doesn't need food or rest. Her being a byproduct of Trace's experiments would be a good way to make her plot relevant, although it's still a magic fantasy comic, so I don't think one really needs an excuse to introduce another fantasy creature.

Maybe Trace did his first tests on tiny mammals that lived around the manor, like how science experiments on rodents. She could have been a squirrel at one time, and that's why she still has a squirrel-ish form, even as a shade.

Nibbly being afraid of dragons would make sense if she's some kind of fantasy creature usually regarded as bad by them. Even if she is just a mimic or changeling, dragons with their great power could see through it, and be a threat to them. Dragons can see through other magics, like being able to tell which animal was being controlled by the Templar.

Nora wasn't a fan of Trace's dark magic experimentation. If Nibs is a creature of dark magic, she could have an innate anxiety around dragons, even if it's just that she understands they will recognize her nature and reveal it to the group. Nibs doesn't want to be separated from Sythe, so she has reason enough not to let that happen.

Mork

#25 Post by Mork »

Zaigan
He knew what Nibbly was at the time, he had decided she was special, but not a dragon, which is why he made that a punchline. It wouldn't make sense for him to go with Nibs as a dragon as a joke only for her to actually be a dragon. She can't be a dragon because of this.
yep but it has never been confirmed in the main comic only in the April Fool's comic.

the intro to Chapter 7

Chapter 7 (Jun 2005 – Mar 2006)
The team travel south near the wolf border to reach the real port city, Wreathwood. Trace and Flora spend their first night together, and the masks meddle, as they do. Wolf assassins attack! Trace mistakenly uses black magic for the first time and summons a demon, which ends the fight. The dragoness, Lady Nora, makes her first appearance, much to everyone’s shock.

technically may not be a dragon it all depends on how you define the Archive says its demon.
my theory is just that it has something to do with the energy that made that dragon.

also would Remus had been that afraid if it was something known in the world.

Zaigan
She's made of shadow energy, like a shade or phantom of some kind.
page 241,240,232,229,223. like dark magic.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#26 Post by Bellhead »

Mork, I would like to introduce you to the way the code works for the quotes and links. It may make sharing your thoughts easier.

Code: Select all

[quote="username"]stuff said by person[/quote]

also this, for URL's:
[url=www.2kinds.com]What you want the link to say. "Page 241" for instance.[/url]
Example:
I wrote:Hello, world.
and This, too.

There's also a Twokinds page search engine, the thread is sticky'd to the top of the Comic Discussion board.

More on topic: I'd wager that baby dragons transforming into woodland creatures to explore the world is more world-building and lore, rather than April Fools, so regardless of what happens to the characters there, that part would still be canon. I think.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Mork

#27 Post by Mork »

thanks sent i sent it to my self so can look at it when i need to remember.

Thank you
mork wrote:Mork said thanks Bellhead for you help.

Kyrit
Templar

#28 Post by Kyrit »

I'm not sure Tom would really want to bring her into the full comic, but it could be that Nibs is a fragment of the dragon referred to as "The Mother", one of the many shades she's created. Based on Tom's writing about her, she could definitely be interested in Trace's experiments. Could have sent a shade that way, which along the way got distracted from its goals upon meeting group B(wouldn't be the first, looking at Willow). Luckily they were still ultimately going where it wanted to go, but it's now also pretty attached to Sythe.

I think it would make sense for one of The Mother's shades to be afraid of other dragons. The shade itself isn't likely to be strong, and as something that can barely be considered a dragon anymore she probably isn't liked by other dragons. She could easily be identified and her shade disposed of, and then she wouldn't get close to Trace and his experiments.

It's not something I view as a highly likely scenario, what with the only info on this coming about from the sketch requests, but I'm not going to count it out for now. Figured I'd mention it since I don't think I've seen anyone else toss that idea out

Cosmacelf
Apprentice

#29 Post by Cosmacelf »

Well, based on the looks of the creature depicted in this missing poster (https://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/848/), that might indeed be the shape shifted Mrs Nibbly. I still think baby dragon is the most likely, but could be something else too. We shall have to a couple of years to find out I expect.

Oh, and this (https://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/857/) shows the missing, ah, person to be a dragon princess. Look, this is a lot of effort for Tom to be putting these clues here just for misdirection. I think they (and Raine’s talk about baby dragons) are all clues.

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#30 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Regarding whether Nibs is a baby dragon or not, there's another tidbit here I just noticed.

The chapter 18 cover has the suspicious figure on the roof and the missing poster on the board. But if you go and look at when the board appears in the actual chapter in comic 857, there's something different. The postings from the cover page are still there, but there are also a couple of new ones. And nailed over the top of the previous 'missing' poster on the board, there's what looks like a news article with an expanded, and possibly significant, headline: "Dragon Princess Missing?" (emphasis mine).

Reni is the dragon princess. But... Reni isn't missing. The town *knows* she's not missing. She's right there, helping the guard. So why is there a poster on the town board saying "Dragon Princess Missing"? And nailed up over the poster with the figure that looks suspiciously like smoke-nibs with 'missing' written on it?

And so, my new hypothesis: there's more than one 'dragon princess', and Nibs is Reni's younger sister. That could also explain why she might be trying to avoid Reni specifically, if she ran away from home for some reason and doesn't want to be found.