The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

Re: Comic for March 24, 2021: Seeing Things

#31 Post by Technic[Bot] »

New theory.

We are really never gonna find out what nibs is. We will periodically be reminded that nibs is no squirrel 🐿️ but we are never gonna have any confirmation on what she truly is. The story is gonna wrap up with i nice little bow but we will all left wondering: What was nibs exactly?
Then out of the blue, turns out she is the narrator of the comic or something like that.

As with most my theories it is highly unlikely but I think it is a neat idea
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Xian
Traveler

#32 Post by Xian »

Aevere wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:47 am
Cosmacelf wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:28 am For those that worry that Nibbly isn’t a baby dragon, you have to explain why she is really nervous around Reni.
Probably because dragons are quite large and squirrels are quite small. My dog used to be scared of horses lol.
I do subscribe to baby dragon theory though.
I remember the first time my current dog (a very friendly female german shepherd/spanish mastiff mix) saw a horse. She behaved pretty much like she did when watching another dog, happily jumping and barking and calling them to come and play (she couldn't go to them because I was holding her leash...). And the fun part, the horses actually came to inspect her, and she was so happy watching her new friends coming to play... until they came close enough that she realized how damn big these things were, and she had a panic attack and tried to run away, pulling me behind...

Zaigan
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#33 Post by Zaigan »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:16 am
Reni is the dragon princess. But... Reni isn't missing. The town *knows* she's not missing. She's right there, helping the guard. So why is there a poster on the town board saying "Dragon Princess Missing"? And nailed up over the poster with the figure that looks suspiciously like smoke-nibs with 'missing' written on it?
Wouldn't it be kinda weird to nail up a news article talking about if a dragon princess was missing over a picture of the missing princess, though? Like, the picture is certainly more helpful than the article in that example, or at the least you would put the article below the picture to make use of it.

It is a news board though, so maybe some of the news is put on them from beyond Edinmere. Trace was the boss of this town, so Reni probably lived elsewhere in a bigger city of the Kingdom. Maybe she wasn't supposed to run off and join the guards of some nearby town? She may seem soft spoken, but maybe she's a rebel princess who wanted a more hands on job. I always figured it was put there as a teaser for her, but I haven't gone back and read her backstory in awhile.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#34 Post by Bellhead »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:16 am Regarding whether Nibs is a baby dragon or not, there's another tidbit here I just noticed.

The chapter 18 cover has the suspicious figure on the roof and the missing poster on the board. But if you go and look at when the board appears in the actual chapter in comic 857, there's something different. The postings from the cover page are still there, but there are also a couple of new ones. And nailed over the top of the previous 'missing' poster on the board, there's what looks like a news article with an expanded, and possibly significant, headline: "Dragon Princess Missing?" (emphasis mine).

Reni is the dragon princess. But... Reni isn't missing. The town *knows* she's not missing. She's right there, helping the guard. So why is there a poster on the town board saying "Dragon Princess Missing"? And nailed up over the poster with the figure that looks suspiciously like smoke-nibs with 'missing' written on it?

And so, my new hypothesis: there's more than one 'dragon princess', and Nibs is Reni's younger sister. That could also explain why she might be trying to avoid Reni specifically, if she ran away from home for some reason and doesn't want to be found.
Counterpoint. Seraphina, the dragon fangirl, didn't know she was there, but knew she was missing from where she was supposed to be. Also note Keiren, "Get our ace ready." Seems to me that Reni was more of a secret weapon, than a known member of the guard, which makes more tactical sense anyway. So, in a sense, she was missing, and still is, in the public eye.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#35 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Bellhead wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:31 amCounterpoint. Seraphina, the dragon fangirl, didn't know she was there, but knew she was missing from where she was supposed to be. Also note Keiren, "Get our ace ready." Seems to me that Reni was more of a secret weapon, than a known member of the guard, which makes more tactical sense anyway. So, in a sense, she was missing, and still is, in the public eye.
Hmm, that's a good point. I had completely forgotten that Sera had said that line. I agree in light of that it does make more sense to assume that the board posting referred to Reni. Oh well, it was a fun idea.

Him
The Secret Forum Mod

#36 Post by Him »

Warrl wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:05 pm
Ah. It can't be Mrs. Nibbly, though, unless she's able to go from Edinmire to wherever Team B is, and back, at least once or twice a day.

It may be another one of whatever Mrs. Nibbly is.

However, with that subtle and quiet an intro I doubt that it (as distinct from Nibs) will ever be important to the story.
The chapter covers aren't set at a specific time. They are meant as overviews of chapters. So the fact that she wasn't in town when they arrived doesn't really matter. I think it's more likely that it was just the silhouette of the dragon cultist in all honesty.

Cosmacelf
Apprentice

#37 Post by Cosmacelf »

Bellhead wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:31 am
MuonNeutrino wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:16 am Regarding whether Nibs is a baby dragon or not, there's another tidbit here I just noticed.

The chapter 18 cover has the suspicious figure on the roof and the missing poster on the board. But if you go and look at when the board appears in the actual chapter in comic 857, there's something different. The postings from the cover page are still there, but there are also a couple of new ones. And nailed over the top of the previous 'missing' poster on the board, there's what looks like a news article with an expanded, and possibly significant, headline: "Dragon Princess Missing?" (emphasis mine).

And so, my new hypothesis: there's more than one 'dragon princess', and Nibs is Reni's younger sister. That could also explain why she might be trying to avoid Reni specifically, if she ran away from home for some reason and doesn't want to be found.
Counterpoint. Seraphina, the dragon fangirl, didn't know she was there, but knew she was missing from where she was supposed to be. Also note Keiren, "Get our ace ready." Seems to me that Reni was more of a secret weapon, than a known member of the guard, which makes more tactical sense anyway. So, in a sense, she was missing, and still is, in the public eye.
Seraphina said Reni had gone missing from the capital, not Edinmire. So why would there be a missing poster for Reni there? Eh, maybe she's important enough. But the chapter cover picture of the missing person looks more like a baby dragon/Mrs. Nibbly than it does Reni.

FuryoftheStars
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: ---

#38 Post by FuryoftheStars »

Cosmacelf wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:53 pm
Bellhead wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:31 am

Seraphina said Reni had gone missing from the capital, not Edinmire. So why would there be a missing poster for Reni there? Eh, maybe she's important enough. But the chapter cover picture of the missing person looks more like a baby dragon/Mrs. Nibbly than it does Reni.
Because when someone important enough goes missing, you post it far and wide (they don’t have tv coverage like we do).

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#39 Post by aitaituo »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:28 am New theory.

We are really never gonna find out what nibs is. We will periodically be reminded that nibs is no squirrel 🐿️ but we are never gonna have any confirmation on what she truly is. The story is gonna wrap up with i nice little bow but we will all left wondering: What was nibs exactly?
Then out of the blue, turns out she is the narrator of the comic or something like that.

As with most my theories it is highly unlikely but I think it is a neat idea
I think that is the most likely theory. It's Tom's style.

multilis
Citizen

#40 Post by multilis »

Cosmacelf wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:28 am For those that worry that Nibbly isn’t a baby dragon, you have to explain why she is really nervous around Reni.
She is obviously something, and Reni could see through disguise. Whether dragon or chinese style wingless dragon (wyrm), basilisk or some other similar creature is debatable, if it was obviously a dragon then the question would be why did Remus ask what it was rather than say "Dragon?!?!"... It is possible that Nibs is a dragon (even Nora perhaps) but shapeshifted into something similar but non dragon to hide that fact.

Also possible Nibs is a human mage or similar with advanced shapeshifting ability.

Zaigan
New Citizen

#41 Post by Zaigan »

FuryoftheStars wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:16 pm
Because when someone important enough goes missing, you post it far and wide (they don’t have tv coverage like we do).
Exactly what I was thinking. Messangers from the capital posted the announcement unaware that they were so close to their missing princess. The guard helped support her in her dream of being a rebel hero princess, because that's what friends do, even if I'm sure her parents would be quite cross if they found out what Edimire was keeping from them.

It's pretty insightful to think of Reni making such a noble choice, even if her family probably just wanted her to stay home and safe. She's a dragon though, so you would also think she is pretty strong against most threats just by size alone.

On a tangent from most of this post, I really do hope it turns out Nibs is some kind of byproduct of Trace's experimentations that got away, went to see the world and slightly redeemed rather than just a random wild changeling or shade. I just like that angle, and how it ties back into things.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#42 Post by Warrl »

"Uh, Reni, I have orders from the capitol that if I hear anything about your location I have to report it. So don't tell us where you are, OK?"

"What do you mean? I'm standing right beside - um - never mind."

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#43 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Zaigan wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:07 pm
FuryoftheStars wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:16 pm
Exactly what I was thinking. Messangers from the capital posted the announcement unaware that they were so close to their missing princess. The guard helped support her in her dream of being a rebel hero princess, because that's what friends do, even if I'm sure her parents would be quite cross if they found out what Edimire was keeping from them.

It's pretty insightful to think of Reni making such a noble choice, even if her family probably just wanted her to stay home and safe. She's a dragon though, so you would also think she is pretty strong against most threats just by size alone.

On a tangent from most of this post, I really do hope it turns out Nibs is some kind of byproduct of Trace's experimentations that got away, went to see the world and slightly redeemed rather than just a random wild changeling or shade. I just like that angle, and how it ties back into things.
You bring out a good point. But we still have no idea why is Reni playing policewoman/guardswoman in some port of the kingdom. We had theorized before that she was sent there as Edinmire was far enough from the frontlines and the capital and therefore was safer, until Trace and company showed up that is. I suppose she may have been sent to oversee the Templar/tiger alliance that was supposed to take place, you know give the royal seal of approval or something? However human nobility is probably running around like headless chickens since the king was recently assassinated and Templars seem to be the de facto government now. So it is possible but I do not think it is likely. Speaking of that do we know just how royal Reni is? I mean does she have any real chance at the throne or is she simply some distant (dragon) relative to the royal family?
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Warrl
Grand Templar

#44 Post by Warrl »

Well, we know her grandmother was human and the king's daughter. But in human terms that was apparently "many, many generations". (See last two panels)

But we don't know how long grandmother's kid (half-dragon) lived before having Reni (by whatever means is applicable to dragons). We also don't know why she would be the "former dragon princess" if she's still alive - which Reni implies, but doesn't say, that she is.

It's implied that Reni herself is 3/4-dragon.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#45 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Warrl wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:51 am Well, we know her grandmother was human and the king's daughter. But in human terms that was apparently "many, many generations". (See last two panels)

But we don't know how long grandmother's kid (half-dragon) lived before having Reni (by whatever means is applicable to dragons). We also don't know why she would be the "former dragon princess" if she's still alive - which Reni implies, but doesn't say, that she is.

It's implied that Reni herself is 3/4-dragon.
That line always bothered me too. Either Dragon princess is a title exclusively by the youngest member of the dragon royals, and her mom lost it when she was born and became a duchess or something. Or she is orphaned, considering she is only twenty and that she can live to a couple thousand that is kinda sad.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide