Comic for March 24, 2021: Seeing Things

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

Re: Comic for March 24, 2021: Seeing Things

#46 Post by aitaituo »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:09 am
Warrl wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:51 am Well, we know her grandmother was human and the king's daughter. But in human terms that was apparently "many, many generations". (See last two panels)

But we don't know how long grandmother's kid (half-dragon) lived before having Reni (by whatever means is applicable to dragons). We also don't know why she would be the "former dragon princess" if she's still alive - which Reni implies, but doesn't say, that she is.

It's implied that Reni herself is 3/4-dragon.
That line always bothered me too. Either Dragon princess is a title exclusively by the youngest member of the dragon royals, and her mom lost it when she was born and became a duchess or something. Or she is orphaned, considering she is only twenty and that she can live to a couple thousand that is kinda sad.
Or it's an honorific title and all of the dragon princesses are called Dragon Princess. It's not like the second son of a king isn't a prince.

FuryoftheStars
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: ---

#47 Post by FuryoftheStars »

Warrl wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:51 am Well, we know her grandmother was human and the king's daughter. But in human terms that was apparently "many, many generations". (See last two panels)

But we don't know how long grandmother's kid (half-dragon) lived before having Reni (by whatever means is applicable to dragons). We also don't know why she would be the "former dragon princess" if she's still alive - which Reni implies, but doesn't say, that she is.

That line always bothered me too. Either Dragon princess is a title exclusively by the youngest member of the dragon royals, and her mom lost it when she was born and became a duchess or something. Or she is orphaned, considering she is only twenty and that she can live to a couple thousand that is kinda sad.
I was always under the impression that her title held no real value even among the humans beyond maybe some form of fame/honorary title. IE, she couldn’t actually pull rank on anyone, though obviously being a dragon most people not high up in government/powerful would listen, anyway.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#48 Post by Technic[Bot] »

FuryoftheStars wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:52 am

I was always under the impression that her title held no real value even among the humans beyond maybe some form of fame/honorary title. IE, she couldn’t actually pull rank on anyone, though obviously being a dragon most people not high up in government/powerful would listen, anyway.
I was under the impression that her title was mostly ceremonial too but i think that has never been confirmed in canon. I mean she is still royal an and even if she has no real claim to the throne and only some meager lands in far flung corner of the kingdom if she comes into the restaurant without reservation you bet they will kick you out to make room for her even before they consider her dragon heritage. also if her grandma was daugther of the king then she can't be that far off the succession line right?
aitaituo wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:40 am
Or it's an honorific title and all of the dragon princesses are called Dragon Princess. It's not like the second son of a king isn't a prince.
Yeah that is true but why did she mention her mother was "former dragon princess" then? There is a lot we do not even know. That seems to be Tom style withhold vital information for a couple years chapters and then do a big reveal.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Dreamfox
Citizen

#49 Post by Dreamfox »

First off, I want to point out that we don't know how many things work in this universe. Don't make assumumptions based on other fantasy universes. Only one story I had this one pointed out for that universe that just because one parent was human and the other a god, doesn't mean the child is a half-god, because you can't have half a god. A better comparison would be "What is half infinity?" My point is that we don't know if there is a difference between a dragon and a half-dragon here. Despite her heritage, Reni might be normally developed for a dragon not just physically, but also mentally.

As for Reni's title of Princess, titles can be abdicated. With Reni being of age and (as it's looks) still wants to live around humans her mother could have decided to abdicate her position to live as most dragons do. Or at least away from humans. Considering travel time and possible miscommunications Reni's mother could be the missing Dragon Princess.
However, that could have an interesting repercussion for the story. I don't know if that ever come up in a discussion (I don't read the Forum all too often), but the human King is dead. If something should happen to the rest of the royal family, the title of King/Queen would fall to Reni.

steelabjur
Council Member

#50 Post by steelabjur »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:29 am
FuryoftheStars wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:52 am

I was under the impression that her title was mostly ceremonial too but i think that has never been confirmed in canon. I mean she is still royal an and even if she has no real claim to the throne and only some meager lands in far flung corner of the kingdom if she comes into the restaurant without reservation you bet they will kick you out to make room for her even before they consider her dragon heritage. also if her grandma was daugther of the king then she can't be that far off the succession line right?
aitaituo wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:40 am
Yeah that is true but why did she mention her mother was "former dragon princess" then? There is a lot we do not even know. That seems to be Tom style withhold vital information for a couple years chapters and then do a big reveal.
Maybe her mother married a non-royal and had to give up the title, or married someone that gave her another title, or was bestowed a personal title that superseded the "Dragon Princess" title, lots of reasons to lose or give up a title.