The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

Comic for March 20, 2021: Remus' Downfall

#1 Post by Technic[Bot] »

I fell trolled....
We may have called this, we are not gonna find out what Nibs is but instead of making it looks like it may have been some standard sciurine shenanigans, she jumping in her face and making him tumble to his death. It is basically confirmed Nibs is some eldritch abomination but we will have to wait a couple years to figure out what exactly she is....
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Cosmacelf
Apprentice

Re: Comic for March 20, 2021: Remus' Downfall

#2 Post by Cosmacelf »

Well, it is confirmed that Mrs. Nibbly is no ordinary squirrel. We just don't know what she is yet.

That's twice now she's saved their bacon, or at least Sythe's.

trantor
Apprentice

#3 Post by trantor »

Nice move Tom. 8) Now we know that our Nibbly is really not a squirrel and that it could fear a cold blooded wolf. And also due our unconscious Sythe she has enough time to change back to her squirrel form. :squirrel:
I am looking forward when you let us see what Nibs really look like.

Spiffydragon
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: Remus, Evals

#4 Post by Spiffydragon »

Nuuuu Remus is too cute to die. :( Hopefully he survives but ends up with amnesia from the fall or Clovis leaves him there out of spite.

stlsf4003
Apprentice

#5 Post by stlsf4003 »

And that's number three to the pile! :twisted:

Damn, Tom's on a roll this chapter! I haven't seen this many characters buy the farm in one chapter since the Island arc!

I don't know about ya'll, But I think we're heading into the comic end game here. characters gonna start dropping left right and center.
the lurking furry railroader

Eclipse
Templar Master

#6 Post by Eclipse »

Well, there you go. A lot of us called this one. So Remus is probably dead now and the mystery of what Mrs. Nibbly really is continues.
stlsf4003 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:22 pm I don't know about ya'll, But I think we're heading into the comic end game here. characters gonna start dropping left right and center.
I doubt it. The comic probably isn't going to end until the Templar are defeated and there's still so many plot holes and various other unexplored elements left in the comic (Brahn/his daughter and the Master Mage, who hasn't even appeared yet, Trace and Flora's plans to go to Lyn'knoll, saving Adira and whatever's she's hiding about the Riftwell Tavern, Mrs. Nibbly's identity, the birth of Trace and Flora's child, Carver being stranded with the Western Basitins, Euchre and Sirus' motives, Kat's potential love traingle with Eric and Zen, Mike and Evals' differing goals). If this story is coming to an end soon, it would feel really rushed and/or incomplete. There's room for at least 3-5 more chapters, maybe more depending on what happens next. I don't think we're anywhere close to the end. In fact, I think we might be closer to the halfway point. Just because a lot of characters are dying and SOME plot points are coming together doesn't mean we're reaching the end.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#7 Post by Bellhead »

That *THUD* makes me think she partially yeeted him backward, toward the railing, hence why he was reaching for it. So whatever she is, she's strong. Very strong. By a rough estimate, knowing Remus was directly between Sythe and Nibs, that's roughly a 6-foot solid yeet, complete with pained grunting.

Doesn't help that Remus has absolutely no sense of description in the middle of dying horribly... :squirrel:
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

stlsf4003
Apprentice

#8 Post by stlsf4003 »

Bellhead wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:49 pm That *THUD* makes me think she partially yeeted him backward, toward the railing, hence why he was reaching for it. So whatever she is, she's strong. Very strong. By a rough estimate, knowing Remus was directly between Sythe and Nibs, that's roughly a 6-foot solid yeet, complete with pained grunting.
I think that's was mostly due to him being freaked out by.....whatever the hell he just saw and reaching out for anything he could get a hold of when he felt himself going over.

That thud is likely due to a full grown wolf falling a good 10 feet onto a solid stone or marble floor below.

Cosmacelf
Apprentice

#9 Post by Cosmacelf »

stlsf4003 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:59 pm
Bellhead wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:49 pm That *THUD* makes me think she partially yeeted him backward, toward the railing, hence why he was reaching for it. So whatever she is, she's strong. Very strong. By a rough estimate, knowing Remus was directly between Sythe and Nibs, that's roughly a 6-foot solid yeet, complete with pained grunting.
I think that's was mostly due to him being freaked out by.....whatever the hell he just saw and reaching out for anything he could get a hold of when he felt himself going over.

That thud is likely due to a full grown wolf falling a good 10 feet onto a solid stone or marble floor below.
No, the thud happened before he fell. The thud caused him to fall and break the railing he was clutching at. That is a seriously strong thud.

And Remus was totally freaked out by what he saw. My vote is dragon. I mean, we’ve already been told that anyways, right? The characters even talked about Mrs. Nibbly being a baby dragon.

Zaigan
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#10 Post by Zaigan »

Well, we didn't reveal the spooky nature of Nibs completely quite yet. Nice that it really is his own carelessness and pushing matters that killed him in the end. He was spooked by her, but lumbering over the damaged railing was his own fault, and well, Clovis's, that first fireball was Clovis, if I remember, though he told Remus not to pursue Sythe.

I still think it would be funny if Nibs was Nibbler from Futurama, but accept that verges into dumb territory.

Really surprised these pages were posted so close together. Kind of thought there would be another week between them, although Saturdays is the usual update day.

I don't think she's a dragon, though. It was suggested before to elude to her unnatural reality, and played up in an April Fool's gag, but that latter part makes me think it was done to reinforce that whatever supernatural creature she is, it's not actually a dragon.

Eldritch abomination and that fell in love with her wolfie friend sounds about right, though.
Eclipse wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:36 pm
stlsf4003 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:22 pm I don't know about ya'll, But I think we're heading into the comic end game here. characters gonna start dropping left right and center.
I doubt it. The comic probably isn't going to end until the Templar are defeated and there's still so many plot holes and various other unexplored elements left in the comic (Brahn/his daughter and the Master Mage, who hasn't even appeared yet, Trace and Flora's plans to go to Lyn'knoll, saving Adira and whatever's she's hiding about the Riftwell Tavern, Mrs. Nibbly's identity, the birth of Trace and Flora's child, Carver being stranded with the Western Basitins, Euchre and Sirus' motives, Kat's potential love traingle with Eric and Zen, Mike and Evals' differing goals). If this story is coming to an end soon, it would feel really rushed and/or incomplete. There's room for at least 3-5 more chapters, maybe more depending on what happens next. I don't think we're anywhere close to the end. In fact, I think we might be closer to the halfway point. Just because a lot of characters are dying and SOME plot points are coming together doesn't mean we're reaching the end.
Even if there are a few more chapters, this could still be end game (or more appropriately, the climax), with some stuff to wrap it up. A potential love triangle isn't a story thread, actually, that's more of a resolution. Eric feels like Kat is a sister, so there's no love triangle, he doesn't share her feelings, and Zen is a chance to move on. Mike and Evals will resolve their goals in the epilogue. The epilogue could probably end on the birth of Trace and Flora's child with us never even seeing it, which would be an awful tease, but also a good ending point. We should be allowed to see it though. Carver being stranded with the Western Basitins is enough of an ending for a super minor villain.

Nibs' identity could be revealed at the end of this chapter, or a conclusion. Reaching Lyn'knoll, which is right next door to Trace's manor also sounds like denouement chapter after the climax.

I think that the Clovis stuff will end, the manor and Trace having to make peace with his past will come down here. Next chapter will be confronting Brahn and Co, who were working with Clovis, so that leads in nicely. Euchre and Sirus will also probably come back in there for that storyline. They will have to rescue Adira, which I am not sure where that will fit in, but then the team will decide if they are still going to head to Lyn'knoll or try to make this new blended community work. Even though Lyn'knoll is a good dream, there's also a lot of value to the work being done in this town, and maybe staying around, manning up to change the world instead of flee from it has value too. So the last chapter would be the epilogue where we see the decisions the characters made to bring them to their happy endings and can close out on like, the birth of Trace and Flora's child.

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#11 Post by aitaituo »

Cosmacelf wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:24 pmNo, the thud happened before he fell. The thud caused him to fall and break the railing he was clutching at. That is a seriously strong thud.
Looking at it a few times, I think you're right. But I'm still prepared for Nibbly to be an ordinary squirrel. The thud, and Remus' surprise, could be a stone golem. Nibbly could have knocked something over...whatever Tom wants to get our hopes up and then subvert them. Other than satisfying curiosity, there's not much story value to Nibbly being anything other than a squirrel, unless she's a puppet of Master Seer, which makes no sense because her eyes have never glowed. The mystery is the fun part.

In any event, Sythe was passing out on the last page. Whatever he remembers will be incoherent and no one will believe him. And the mystery will remain unresolved for many pages, at least. I am a little eager to get back to Trace and Flora anyway.

Alea
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: .

#12 Post by Alea »

Barring deistic intervention, it seems like Sythe is done for, given that he:
-Got hit with two consecutive fireballs
-Just passed out
-Has another brother with an equally big axe who most definitely heard that scream.

Remus, on the other hand, fell ~5 metres and people here are eulogizing him :P

stlsf4003
Apprentice

#13 Post by stlsf4003 »

Alea wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:45 pm Barring deistic intervention, it seems like Sythe is done for, given that he:
-Got hit with two consecutive fireballs
-Just passed out
-Has another brother with an equally big axe who most definitely heard that scream.

Remus, on the other hand, fell ~5 metres and people here are eulogizing him :P
Well the back of his head would hit the ground at about the same time his back did and as we all know, heads don't tend to shrug off that kind of blunt trauma easily.....

I could see the back of his head split wide open from a fall like that.

jacobc62
Grand Templar

#14 Post by jacobc62 »

Y'all are on about how Nibbly is either a baby dragon or an eldritch horror monster, but may I present an alternate identity:

Trace's chimera - whom can shapeshift because Magictm - overheard Team B mentioning traveling to Edinmire, and decided to join them because of it.
"That poor, sexy [censored]...." -Evals Vaughan, October 2016

Warrl
Grand Templar

#15 Post by Warrl »

Zaigan wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:20 pm Even if there are a few more chapters, this could still be end game (or more appropriately, the climax), with some stuff to wrap it up. A potential love triangle isn't a story thread, actually, that's more of a resolution. Eric feels like Kat is a sister, so there's no love triangle, he doesn't share her feelings, and Zen is a chance to move on. Mike and Evals will resolve their goals in the epilogue. The epilogue could probably end on the birth of Trace and Flora's child with us never even seeing it, which would be an awful tease, but also a good ending point. We should be allowed to see it though. Carver being stranded with the Western Basitins is enough of an ending for a super minor villain.
All those are things that could be resolved in an epilogue or left unresolved, or COULD be worked into a major subplot. Well, I'll be surprised if we see Carver again in THIS comic - maybe in a sequel - because the main group is unlikely to go back to Basidian Island and it'll take too long for Carver to work his way back to the mainland. BUT... even that is not impossible (but he'd show up again as a minor villain in a new caper; everything he WAS directly involved in is resolved).
Nibs' identity could be revealed at the end of this chapter, or a conclusion.
Same: resolve in-story, resolve in epilogue, or leave unresolved, all work.
Reaching Lyn'knoll, which is right next door to Trace's manor also sounds like denouement chapter after the climax.
I don't count crossing that mountain range as "right next door". Remember that Lyn'knoll has been there, just a relatively short (horizontal, straight-line) distance across the mountains, for a long time and the Templar officially aren't certain it even exists. Also that said mountain range is most of the border between human and feline lands, and apparently the history there is much more peaceful and cooperative than between humans and wolves.
stlsf4003 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:02 am Well the back of his {Remus's} head would hit the ground at about the same time his back did and as we all know, heads don't tend to shrug off that kind of blunt trauma easily.....

I could see the back of his head split wide open from a fall like that.
He would pick up some rotation from the way he fell off the upper level, so how he landed would depend very much on the distance and just how much rotation - and the latter was affected by the one hand on the broken railing, which would convert a bit of that rotation from end-to-end to side-to-side.

Based on the pictures we have of him falling, and pending further information, I think he would most likely land forehead-first (terrible for head and neck injuries) or shoulder-first (not quite as bad for head, causes a slightly different bunch of neck injuries), in either case with his hips significantly higher at the moment of first impact.