Comic for March 3rd, 2021: The Wolf's Jewels

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Spiffydragon
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: Remus, Evals

Re: Comic for March 3rd, 2021: The Wolf's Jewels

#31 Post by Spiffydragon »

Mercenary, mercenary! Being a hitman is such a dirty job and a dirty word; there is a world of difference between the two. Plenty of decent people enter that line of work and something has to pay the bills.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#32 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Spiffydragon wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:20 am Mercenary, mercenary! Being a hitman is such a dirty job and a dirty word; there is a world of difference between the two. Plenty of decent people enter that line of work and something has to pay the bills.
Well yeah... Even Zen and Nat ended being assassins for hire. Simply because they needed something to eat. But i do not think there is that much difference between a mercenary and a hitman.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Jae
Apprentice

#33 Post by Jae »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:38 am
Jae wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:01 pm
Technic[Bot] wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:15 am Death by sythe... we really did not see that one coming.

Also still do not understand it. Was he carrying his crystals as a belt or something?
They've shown people hanging crystals from their belts before, so I'm assuming the same here.
That makes sense. You also carry those under the cloth to prevent the enemy from seeing them and yanking your jewels. Makes tactical sense
Having them semi-hidden, yet easily accessible seems to be the most tactical method, though I'm surprised we haven't seen more thoughtful precautions to them being swiped if they're so reliant on the stones. I also think it'd be cool to see the stones in some kind of holster (though, again, that could be swiped; I just think it'd look neat).
—Jae Lynn

FireworkFox
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#34 Post by FireworkFox »

Who here wishes this happened to Clovis after what he did to Brutus?
Imma fox uwu

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#35 Post by Bellhead »

FireworkFox wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:27 am Who here wishes this happened to Clovis after what he did to Brutus?
Gut reaction? Yeah. Then again, I personally feel that what Clovis did was far deeper, emotionally, than what Remus did here. A killer hunting an innocent, versus a psychotic dictator killing his best friend out of fear...

I'd actually prefer to see Clovis live a bit longer. Not from a story perspective, necessarily, but in his case, death would be a cop-out. The easy way. For him to properly pay for what he did, he has to live.

Remus, on the other hand, is just a plain, flat mercenary who does what he's paid to do, more or less. I actually don't feel that much towards him, one way or another. He is, after all, as far as we can tell, just a hired goon, and there really isn't a desperate need to perpetually torture a grunt for doing grunt work.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Spiffydragon
Traveler

#36 Post by Spiffydragon »

From a writing standpoint, it would be rather poor technique to introduce the three wolves as more than just nameless fire-bombers and then kill them off a few pages later for the sake of a body count. In the least, I suspect one of them is guaranteed to live, but likely all three and less likely only two of them. The less likely being that Clovis burns Remus up and Romulus bails wanting revenge while possibly knowing a work around to Clovis' poison. All three of them have a great deal of room for development.

As for Clovis, yes, he will probably suffer greatly in secret but never show it; BFFs are worth more than all the gold in the world and he will find that out.

Just a thought.

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#37 Post by aitaituo »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:25 am
Spiffydragon wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:20 am Mercenary, mercenary! Being a hitman is such a dirty job and a dirty word; there is a world of difference between the two. Plenty of decent people enter that line of work and something has to pay the bills.
Well yeah... Even Zen and Nat ended being assassins for hire. Simply because they needed something to eat. But i do not think there is that much difference between a mercenary and a hitman.
Is he really a mercenary? He's no soldier. He's hired muscle that kills when necessary he feels like it.

Rasol
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith

#38 Post by Rasol »

aitaituo wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:43 am Is he really a mercenary? He's no soldier. He's hired muscle that kills when necessary he feels like it.
This. He was given a DIRECT order to leave Sythe alone. Sythe was not part of the mission, and was injured, and showing no signs he was a threat to the mission.
He was going to kill him for 'fun'

And if this costs them their chance to capture Zen.... Well, I hope he has his re-life insurance paid up, cause Clovis doesn't seem to be in the 'forgiving mood'

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#39 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Rasol wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:31 pm
aitaituo wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:43 am Is he really a mercenary? He's no soldier. He's hired muscle that kills when necessary he feels like it.
This. He was given a DIRECT order to leave Sythe alone. Sythe was not part of the mission, and was injured, and showing no signs he was a threat to the mission.
He was going to kill him for 'fun'

And if this costs them their chance to capture Zen.... Well, I hope he has his re-life insurance paid up, cause Clovis doesn't seem to be in the 'forgiving mood'
Mercs and hired muscle are notoriously hard to control, just ask the italians. As their allegiance is only with money. Still i think Remus simply ignored Clovis order since he considered it was not tactically sound to leave Sythe alive.
He is only loyal to Clovis money, we also sort of agree Clovis is not making the most sound decisions as of now then why would Remus about and order he thinks may put them at a disadvantage later?
That being said Clovis would not care and would probably fry him too for far less.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Warrl
Grand Templar

#40 Post by Warrl »

Still i think Remus simply ignored Clovis order since he considered it was not tactically sound to leave Sythe alive.
Not tactically sound for Clovis and company, and not tactically sound for Remus relative to Clovis.

I'm sure Remus realizes by now that nothing that goes wrong is ever Clovis' fault.

So if leaving Sythe alive results in the mission being botched (which is an entirely plausible course for future events, although far from certain), it will be Remus' fault for not killing him. The fact that Clovis ordered him left alive... that was merely a test, which Remus failed.

Whereas, Clovis presumably doesn't really expect to see Sythe again. Not seeing him because his dead body is behind a curtain, is entirely in line with that expectation.

Spiffydragon
Traveler

#41 Post by Spiffydragon »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:37 pm Mercs and hired muscle are notoriously hard to control, just ask the italians. As their allegiance is only with money. Still i think Remus simply ignored Clovis order since he considered it was not tactically sound to leave Sythe alive.
He is only loyal to Clovis money, we also sort of agree Clovis is not making the most sound decisions as of now then why would Remus about and order he thinks may put them at a disadvantage later?
That being said Clovis would not care and would probably fry him too for far less.
I wouldn't consider mercenary to be hard to control per se; although usually mercenaries, sell-swords, etc, have usually been around the block a few times. They prefer a bit more autonomy than the enlisted and don't take kindly to being micromanaged; you won't keep very many mercenaries and they may even go out of their way to flaunt you if you treat them like they are your regular boots. Mercenaries are a part of the "big boys" club and different rules apply. Give them a job, your intent, and let them work. Although Remus is being a rather bad example.

Beyond money, there is also the matter of maintaining a good name. A one off sell-sword / freelancer could disappear and start over but if Romulus and Remus were hired from a "mercenary guild" or similar institution then they will have a reputation to uphold or they run the risk of having their names and descriptions passed around which will make future work more difficult. A good name and reputation was worth more in past ages when people didn't travel far; likewise the world is much smaller socially and there are fewer degrees of separation; people know each other. Being a stranger is suspect, but having no verifiable family name or friends indicates you have a history to hide and may be trouble. Although such a thing shouldn't be applied too hard to a fantasy comic with magic, teleportation, ships, etc. Romulus and Remus would benefit from Clovis' powdered [censored] providing them with an endorsement since Clovis seems to be a more well known name, it is something more than money that would entice loyalty. While I could elaborate much further but it's unnecessary.

I do have to agree that Clovis seems to like burning people; he is right in the middle of the dark triad but in a more eccentric fashion. Don't die Remus ;( Hopefully it works out for him.
( Yeah yeah, I'm projecting a lot, but what can I say, I like the character (Remus) and can relate. )

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#42 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Spiffydragon wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:08 am
Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:37 pm Mercs and hired muscle are notoriously hard to control, just ask the italians. As their allegiance is only with money. Still i think Remus simply ignored Clovis order since he considered it was not tactically sound to leave Sythe alive.
I wouldn't consider mercenary to be hard to control per se; although usually mercenaries, sell-swords, etc, have usually been around the block a few times. They prefer a bit more autonomy than the enlisted and don't take kindly to being micromanaged; you won't keep very many mercenaries and they may even go out of their way to flaunt you if you treat them like they are your regular boots. Mercenaries are a part of the "big boys" club and different rules apply. Give them a job, your intent, and let them work. Although Remus is being a rather bad example.

Beyond money, there is also the matter of maintaining a good name. A one off sell-sword / freelancer could disappear and start over but if Romulus and Remus were hired from a "mercenary guild" or similar institution then they will have a reputation to uphold or they run the risk of having their names and descriptions passed around which will make future work more difficult. A good name and reputation was worth more in past ages when people didn't travel far; likewise the world is much smaller socially and there are fewer degrees of separation; people know each other. Being a stranger is suspect, but having no verifiable family name or friends indicates you have a history to hide and may be trouble. Although such a thing shouldn't be applied too hard to a fantasy comic with magic, teleportation, ships, etc. Romulus and Remus would benefit from Clovis' powdered [censored] providing them with an endorsement since Clovis seems to be a more well known name, it is something more than money that would entice loyalty. While I could elaborate much further but it's unnecessary.

I do have to agree that Clovis seems to like burning people; he is right in the middle of the dark triad but in a more eccentric fashion. Don't die Remus ;( Hopefully it works out for him.
( Yeah yeah, I'm projecting a lot, but what can I say, I like the character (Remus) and can relate. )
Condotiero were Real medieval italian mercenaries. And were easily swayed by money. When italy finally fell to french invasions most of them simply switched sides to the french. Moreover sometimes when there was no war, and no workd for them. they would simply show up in a italian city and basically extort them. "Pay us or we may sack the city ourselves" That was what it talking about.

In any case as pointed out before me. If Remus lets Sythe live and that compromises the mission it is his fault, also if he kills him and that compromises his mission in any other way that is also his fault. At this point whatever he does his chances of being burnt by Clovis are very high. And lets not forget the manor is heavily fortified with stone golems. there is a crazy DIY necro-alexa conducting an eldritch ritual and we have Trace who may revert to his dark sell any minute. What I am trying to say is that even if the twins survive Clovis they may not survive the madness they just walked into. Which is sad i cannot relate to Remus but i like his design.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Spiffydragon
Traveler

#43 Post by Spiffydragon »

Yep, there is also the matter that when there aren't any wars to profit from, mercenaries may become raiders and highwaymen. There is plenty of employment for such types but it's not always easy to find. I usually put the Italians into their own box since they are usually doing their own thing in terms of European affairs and are almost always off-key in some way. Banks, mercenaries, modern companies, they are often the same in regards to fighting for both sides and switching to the winning team near the end.

(OT) For the majority of people, making money, good business, raising a family, and otherwise having peace, is more important than the banner flying over them. It's usually a small percent of any population that cares enough to fight over it. Although the further back you go into history, the more likely extermination, enslavement, or replacement was going to happen.

Indeed, Remus is effectively a fall-guy since he is the low man on the totem pole; the position sucks, especially when it's a combination of multi-million dollar equipment on the line and it's being fiddled with by room temperature intellects. (I recall a squirrel / bird made a nest in it.)

If Trace reverts, it will be temporary since he has extremely heavy "plot armor" and was outlined as being the hero early on; not unreasonable that he would cause some chaos while in psychotic mode. All that necro ritual stuff going on is part of why I don't discount any dead or soon to be dead characters staying dead since they could be revived even in limited capacity; but I doubt the teams go so far as to conduct necromancy unless the outcome was mostly certain or Trace was in psycho mode trying to bring someone else back. I expect him to be more cautious in the future about prying at his own past in the next 20-30 panels, after handling the current situation.

A lot of people really like the twins' design and someone was right when they linked me the pages with Remus while noting I would probably like him as well.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#44 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Spiffydragon wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:23 am Yep, there is also the matter that when there aren't any wars to profit from, mercenaries may become raiders and highwaymen. There is plenty of employment for such types but it's not always easy to find. I usually put the Italians into their own box since they are usually doing their own thing in terms of European affairs and are almost always off-key in some way. Banks, mercenaries, modern companies, they are often the same in regards to fighting for both sides and switching to the winning team near the end.

(OT) For the majority of people, making money, good business, raising a family, and otherwise having peace, is more important than the banner flying over them. It's usually a small percent of any population that cares enough to fight over it. Although the further back you go into history, the more likely extermination, enslavement, or replacement was going to happen.

Indeed, Remus is effectively a fall-guy since he is the low man on the totem pole; the position sucks, especially when it's a combination of multi-million dollar equipment on the line and it's being fiddled with by room temperature intellects. (I recall a squirrel / bird made a nest in it.)

If Trace reverts, it will be temporary since he has extremely heavy "plot armor" and was outlined as being the hero early on; not unreasonable that he would cause some chaos while in psychotic mode. All that necro ritual stuff going on is part of why I don't discount any dead or soon to be dead characters staying dead since they could be revived even in limited capacity; but I doubt the teams go so far as to conduct necromancy unless the outcome was mostly certain or Trace was in psycho mode trying to bring someone else back. I expect him to be more cautious in the future about prying at his own past in the next 20-30 panels, after handling the current situation.

A lot of people really like the twins' design and someone was right when they linked me the pages with Remus while noting I would probably like him as well.
I mentioned before that i had hoped for a "Et tu Brutus" moment between Clovis and our lovable, but now dead wolf boy. Considering the amount of implied necromancy we have going on there may be a chance that Brutus might still end up killing Clovis, just that it will be an undead Brutus doing the killing.
Anyhow If I remember correctly in universe necromancy is "theoretically" possible but in practice it does not work as it tends to require more dark mana than can be feasibly supplied, it also has the tendency to kill the user so i do wonder how is the whole ritual and tangential plot threads gonna resolve.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Spiffydragon
Traveler

#45 Post by Spiffydragon »

A healthy and physically active person has around six minutes of oxygen deprivation before permanent brain damage sets in. When Brutus is clearly biologically dead and room temperature, will I accept him as being dead canonically but until then, he has six minutes for Reni to get there. I'm pretty sure she will help if for no other reason than to find out why Clovis tried to kill him.

Detrius may be powered by the dead turned into dark mana, or requires periodic scarifies to keep alive ala the Emperor of WH40K. Although he seems to be an imperfect copy of Trace, so he may just be the fantasy equivalent of a crude A.I imprint that is juiced up by the same magic-tech the templar towers use.

I'm pretty sure TF has several chapters already written up. It's the art and comic panels that takes around 5X-30X more time than the writing does and I'm certain any "plot holes" or things needing to be reconciled are already handled.