Comic for March 3rd, 2021: The Wolf's Jewels

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Warrl
Grand Templar

Re: Comic for March 3rd, 2021: The Wolf's Jewels

#16 Post by Warrl »

Ah, you have characters confused. Raine is female, blonde, switches between human, wolf, and half-form.

The warrior you're thinking of is usually referred to as Red. His name has not been revealed in-comic to the best of my recollection, although sometimes Tom has had to get creative to conceal it.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#17 Post by Bellhead »

Spiffydragon wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:17 am Red hair, warrior, doesn't like Keidran and seem to have a deep rooted hatred for them, although I am mistaken about the hunting part which I had read on one the first panels, that seems to be exclusively Trace (pre-loss). Listed as Database error in the characters. Point being, some of the cast aren't exactly innocent in their own right, they have two assassins tagging no less. Lots of blood to go around.
Commonly referred to as "Red". And while that does seem like something he would do, Trace was indeed the only genocidal maniac to get enough screen time to remember.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Titanium Dragon
Traveler

#18 Post by Titanium Dragon »

Spiffydragon wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:17 am "Red" Derp. Red hair, warrior, doesn't like Keidran and seem to have a deep rooted hatred for them, although I am mistaken about the hunting part which I had read on one the first panels, that seems to be exclusively Trace (pre-loss). I wouldn't be surprised if he tagged along a few times. He is listed as Database error in the characters, for some reason I can't find his name mentioned anywhere in the panels and picked up on Raine despite her being white and fluffy / transforming (That's that I get for 4AM reading). Point being, some of the cast aren't exactly innocent in their own right, they have two assassins tagging no less. Lots of blood to go around.

Does he even have a name or is it annoyingly omitted / story reasons?
We don't know his name. It has never been mentioned on page. A few of the human characters do know his name, but we, the audience, have never been told it.

It is a running gag, or at least has been played off as one, though there is an outside chance that his name has some significance we are unaware of.

[hr]

As for todays' page:

Things aren't looking so good for Remus here (or is it Romulus?). Suspect he's going to get an axe to the back, or otherwise get thrown off the railing. Not too surprised; these are enemy warriors trying to kill people.

As for nibs - I'm pretty sure she's a dragon, or some other sort of supernatural entity, given her reflection in the waterfall, but none of this has really narrowed down what is going on. It is obvious to the wolf that she's unnatural, but unless things go badly for Sythe here, I suspect that the mystery will linger.

FuryoftheStars
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: ---

#19 Post by FuryoftheStars »

Titanium Dragon wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:01 am Things aren't looking so good for Remus here (or is it Romulus?).
Previous page’s transcript says Remus.

Zaigan
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#20 Post by Zaigan »

Cosmacelf wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:48 pm Is that Scythe reaching for the battle ax?
That was my thought. I'm glad Sythe has found a way out of his bad situation. He's still grievously wounded. Interesting to find out familiars are a thing in this world. Being a magical animal could explain her resilience. I guess it's good they don't need to be resummoned for an hour like in DnD. Although everytime my familiar gets popped it's at least an opportunity to design a new look for it.

Yastreb
Apprentice
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith

#21 Post by Yastreb »

I wonder if mrs. Nibbly will be somehow transformed by those crystals and her true form will be revealed? Also there is no way that missing railing the mercenary is standing next to is a coincidence. He will fall down as Sythe attacks him and this way Sythe can conveniently not feel any remorse. Romulus and Remus, who are not very evil characters, will die, while Brutus is no doubt going to survive despite being at least as bad.

Nutster
Traveler

#22 Post by Nutster »

Mrs. Nibbly? I am getting more of a vibe of Mrs. Brisby and the Tree-Rats of NIMH. Either that or she is a dragon in disguise; they seem to be able to get around that pesky Conservation of Mass principle. :squirrel:

Jae
Apprentice

#23 Post by Jae »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:15 am Death by sythe... we really did not see that one coming.

Also still do not understand it. Was he carrying his crystaals as a belt or something?
They've shown people hanging crystals from their belts before, so I'm assuming the same here.
—Jae Lynn

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#24 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Bellhead wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:22 am
Spiffydragon wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:17 am Red hair, warrior, doesn't like Keidran and seem to have a deep rooted hatred for them, although I am mistaken about the hunting part which I had read on one the first panels, that seems to be exclusively Trace (pre-loss). Listed as Database error in the characters. Point being, some of the cast aren't exactly innocent in their own right, they have two assassins tagging no less. Lots of blood to go around.
Commonly referred to as "Red". And while that does seem like something he would do, Trace was indeed the only genocidal maniac to get enough screen time to remember.
Red has been described as Quite the Bully by Ros to the point she was worried of Saria being associated with his friend, Trace. He also was, up to very recently, a couple week for him, a couple years for us. Was quite racist. So despite being a lovable idiot with his heart in, sort of, the right place I doubt we could actually call him a "nice person" under normal circumstances.
Jae wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:01 pm
Technic[Bot] wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:15 am Death by sythe... we really did not see that one coming.

Also still do not understand it. Was he carrying his crystals as a belt or something?
They've shown people hanging crystals from their belts before, so I'm assuming the same here.
That makes sense. You also carry those under the cloth to prevent the enemy from seeing them and yanking your jewels. Makes tactical sense
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Rasol
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith

#25 Post by Rasol »

Spiffydragon wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:45 am Given that Remus is disarmed in just about every way, I personally wouldn't be able to find it justifiable to kill him despite his actions and wanting to have some battlefield fun, especially hitting him in the back with an axe, but Scythe may think otherwise or be in a kill or be killed mindset.
No. Remus is still VERY much a threat. One who has made it clear he is willing to disobey orders for a chance at an easy kill.

This wasn't 'just business'. This was an attempt at cold, senseless killing of a non-combatant.

Even disarmed, and 'injured' as he is, Remus is a killer, and a threat. Given half a chance, he WILL kill Scythe, and Nibs, and anyone else he can get his hands on. He is not going to shrug his shoulders, and limp away just cause he dropped his axe, and got nipped in the sack. He needs to be neutralized, either by being knocked out, or killed. Preferably killed.

He's already made it clear, even after being disarmed, bitten & having his crystals taken, that he intends to continue fighting. No sense in Scythe or Nibs risking their necks to save somebody who was going to gut them not even 2 minutes prior.

Alea
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: .

#26 Post by Alea »

Rasol wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:29 pm
Spiffydragon wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:45 am Given that Remus is disarmed in just about every way, I personally wouldn't be able to find it justifiable to kill him despite his actions and wanting to have some battlefield fun, especially hitting him in the back with an axe, but Scythe may think otherwise or be in a kill or be killed mindset.
No. Remus is still VERY much a threat. One who has made it clear he is willing to disobey orders for a chance at an easy kill.

This wasn't 'just business'. This was an attempt at cold, senseless killing of a non-combatant.

Even disarmed, and 'injured' as he is, Remus is a killer, and a threat. Given half a chance, he WILL kill Scythe, and Nibs, and anyone else he can get his hands on. He is not going to shrug his shoulders, and limp away just cause he dropped his axe, and got nipped in the sack. He needs to be neutralized, either by being knocked out, or killed. Preferably killed.

He's already made it clear, even after being disarmed, bitten & having his crystals taken, that he intends to continue fighting. No sense in Scythe or Nibs risking their necks to save somebody who was going to gut them not even 2 minutes prior.
Who says that Scythe would remain a non-combatant? Leaving someone behind you who you just tried to kill would be a very bad idea, especially if you were trying to be quick & stealthy. Remus was doing the tactically correct thing, not being cruel or senseless.

Spiffydragon
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: Remus, Evals

#27 Post by Spiffydragon »

@Alea, Rasol

Indeed Remus was going to get some fun in at Scythe's expense but I doubt he is like that all the time; ex, when not on a battlefield. For one reason or another, people sometimes take advantage of the lack of law and oversight but that doesn't make them bad through and through; although Remus is pushing an extreme case and should in the least get some sense beaten into him. People tend to do stupid stuff when an opportunity presents itself. Ideally, support should be following behind and detaining anyone still alive after the fact but it depends on the situation. If you don't have the man power to take prisoners or momentum won't allow for it, then they usually get killed on the spot; it's unfortunate but unless people literally throw their weapons in the dirt, that's how it is. I'm guessing since it's just Clovis and a few wolves, they don't have the man power and this is supposed to be a straight forward snatch and grab mission; something Remus is screwing up.

No one can know the mind of another, much less a comic book character. We have a very short glimpse at the mercenary twins and it's not enough for me to judge them on. It's purely my personal choice that I would make an effort to subdue and detain Remus first. There was a time when I would have killed everything that moved but those days are long passed. It's MHO that Remus is just a *blank* that needs to have his head cracked with the back end of his axe, rather than the blade; it might knock some sense into him.

Yes, Scythe was both disarmed and a non-aggressor at first and would have been justified in effectively every way in killing Remus while being attacked. However, the roles are switched and now Remus is disarmed; his mighty words and threats might as well be hot air regardless of his claimed intent to keep fighting. Remus has lost his position as the aggressor and now Scythe is the aggressor. Scythe is not under any obligation to reciprocate the actions Remus would have taken, just because Remus would have killed Scythe doesn't mean Scythe will do the same. Both of them were and still are threats to each other but the degree of the threat does matter; I won't go into active and passive threats. There is the matter that Remus may be adept at fighting unarmed against an armed attacker, alternatively, he may be a total pushover without his weapons. He may just keep the axe as a last ditch backup for the event his magic is used up; it can't be known until TF writes the next panel.

The possibilities I nod to, with three outcomes.
1: Someone else, be it Mrs.Nibbly or possibly the estate controller, interrupts the fight; Remus is killed or detained.
2: Scythe makes Remus falls to his death, possibly on his own axe, or blacks out from the fall, killed or detained. (Fit's Scythe's character)
3: Scythe kills Remus with his own axe with an opportunistic but cowardly strike to the back. (alternatively to the gut for irony.) (Fits the character) (It may be Scythe severely wounds him and the Teams keep him alive afterwards.)
4: Scythe and Remus both fall, see #2.
5: Scythe and Mrs.Nibbly detain Remus. Since he doesn't practice the Shaolin Iron Egg, He may just surrender when faced with his own axe and being backed against a ledge.

A: Remus and his bother join the teams or split apart either by death or with one going with Clovis.
B: They go their own way after realizing Clovis is too much trouble.
C: They both die. ;(

Unless Remus makes another credible attack on Scythe or Mrs.Nibbly again, Scythe will lose the moral high ground. He will also lose the "innocence" and "sympathy" factors as a character, but I suppose that can always be part of his development.

Purely my opinion.

-side edit-
I can also see the rest Clovis' team coming back out with Zen and Remus being put into an awkward situation trying to explain why he is standing there naked and just what ELSE he may have been trying to do to Scythe. He may just end up roasted or they turn on Clovis to prevent it.

Alea
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: .

#28 Post by Alea »

Spiffydragon wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:57 pm Indeed Remus was going to get some fun in at Scythe's expense but I doubt he is like that all the time; ex, when not on a battlefield. For one reason or another, people sometimes take advantage of the lack of law and oversight but that doesn't make them bad through and through; although Remus is pushing an extreme case and should in the least get some sense beaten into him. People tend to do stupid stuff when an opportunity presents itself. Ideally, support should be following behind and detaining anyone still alive after the fact but it depends on the situation. If you don't have the man power to take prisoners or momentum won't allow for it, then they usually get killed on the spot; it's unfortunate but unless people literally throw their weapons in the dirt, that's how it is. I'm guessing since it's just Clovis and a few wolves, they don't have the man power and this is supposed to be a straight forward snatch and grab mission; something Remus is screwing up.
I disagree; Clovis is the one who screwed up the mission by trying (and failing) to kill Sythe. Remus is trying to tie up a loose end by dealing with him. If he hadn't, Sythe would have run away and gotten reinforcements, exactly what you don't want if you're outnumbered.

Spiffydragon
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: Remus, Evals

#29 Post by Spiffydragon »

@Alea

You are right in that Clovis ultimately is responsible for the screw up and failing to detain or kill Scythe when they reached him; leadership failure. That said, Remus is not helping by deviating on his own volition. Killing Scythe after he was dazed would be killing purely for the sake being evil and wouldn't necessarily have any tactical reason; unless your goal is to kill everyone entirely rather than achieve victory over them. I'm aware it is a setting before the days of maintaining good optics and public relations, but It also takes a trivial amount of time and effort to restrain someone who is already incapacitated, resulting in the same effect. Yes, since they delayed and Clovis doesn't have his game together, Scythe would have run away just as he just did. There is value in intelligence and Scythe would have been an easy capture, although it is yet to be seen if Clovis is attacking blind or just got lucky with the restrictions on the Estate being lifted. Somehow I doubt Clovis knows what he's doing in leading the attack on the estate.

Taking prisoners or not and when can be a very divisive topic but I nod to decency and to spare life when at all possible; other people think otherwise and prefer to leave none alive. Sometimes it has to be decided on the fly.

To each their own. :)

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#30 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Rasol wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:29 pm

I disagree here. He is indeed disobeying Clovis. But I do not think because he just wants to have some fun hacking Sythe into pieces. He does not know Sythe nor he knows if he is still a threat for himself of his mission. Hence he decided to disobey Clovis to tie the loose end and prevent any future problem from Sythe scaping an bringing backup of something. He is convinced is tactically advantageous to simple get rid of Sythe before he can become more of a problem he won't listen to an order he believes will backfire in the end.
There is indeed some dissonance between Clovis and him, Clovis wants to get in, Kill Brutus, any witness, get Zen and Nat as fast as possible and leave. Likely because he knew it would be an emotionally wrenching experience and he rather be done with it fast. Remus wants to run a tight operation with no loose ends and minimal casualties and those objectives might sometimes oppose.
Spiffydragon wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:57 pm @Alea, Rasol

Indeed Remus was going to get some fun in at Scythe's expense but I doubt he is like that all the time; ex, when not on a battlefield. For one reason or another, people sometimes take advantage of the lack of law and oversight but that doesn't make them bad through and through; although Remus is pushing an extreme case and should in the least get some sense beaten into him. People tend to do stupid stuff when an opportunity presents itself. Ideally, support should be following behind and detaining anyone still alive after the fact but it depends on the situation. If you don't have the man power to take prisoners or momentum won't allow for it, then they usually get killed on the spot; it's unfortunate but unless people literally throw their weapons in the dirt, that's how it is. I'm guessing since it's just Clovis and a few wolves, they don't have the man power and this is supposed to be a straight forward snatch and grab mission; something Remus is screwing up.

No one can know the mind of another, much less a comic book character. We have a very short glimpse at the mercenary twins and it's not enough for me to judge them on. It's purely my personal choice that I would make an effort to subdue and detain Remus first. There was a time when I would have killed everything that moved but those days are long passed. It's MHO that Remus is just a *blank* that needs to have his head cracked with the back end of his axe, rather than the blade; it might knock some sense into him.

Yes, Scythe was both disarmed and a non-aggressor at first and would have been justified in effectively every way in killing Remus while being attacked. However, the roles are switched and now Remus is disarmed; his mighty words and threats might as well be hot air regardless of his claimed intent to keep fighting. Remus has lost his position as the aggressor and now Scythe is the aggressor. Scythe is not under any obligation to reciprocate the actions Remus would have taken, just because Remus would have killed Scythe doesn't mean Scythe will do the same. Both of them were and still are threats to each other but the degree of the threat does matter; I won't go into active and passive threats. There is the matter that Remus may be adept at fighting unarmed against an armed attacker, alternatively, he may be a total pushover without his weapons. He may just keep the axe as a last ditch backup for the event his magic is used up; it can't be known until TF writes the next panel.

-snip-
I agree. Remus is most likely not a good person, he is a hitman for one of the worst persons we have seen in comic. He likely deserves getting a good beating, but getting his head chopped off by Sythe? Perhaps but with what little we know about him I would not be so sure. And the end of the day Sythe could get the moral high ground by not killing him, he also may be too injured to actually attack him. But i doubt we would blame him from splitting Remus's skull giving what has happened.

I do expect, if they survive of course, that Remus Romulus abandon Clovis at the end of this, given he is too much of a trouble and does not even care about them. Maybe they even decide to kill him before Clovis gets any ideas.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide