Comic for February 12, 2021: Defending her Wolf

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Message
Author
User avatar
AmigaDragon
Templar GrandMaster
Posts: 946
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:20 pm
Location: Far Northern Minnesota
Contact:

Re: Comic for February 12, 2021: Defending her Wolf

#31 Post by AmigaDragon »

Perhaps Nibbly is just enough distraction for Sythe to grab something and bash Remus in the head.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

User avatar
Rafe
Templar Master
Posts: 487
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:00 am

Re: Comic for February 12, 2021: Defending her Wolf

#32 Post by Rafe »

AmigaDragon wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:07 am Perhaps Nibbly is just enough distraction for Sythe to grab something and bash Remus in the head.
...or push him through that convenient gap in the railing behimd him.

The only problem is, in the process, Remus might take Sythe or Mrs. Nibbly over with him. Still, not much choice at this point.

User avatar
Tyger42
Citizen
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:06 am

Re: Comic for February 12, 2021: Defending her Wolf

#33 Post by Tyger42 »

Bellhead wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:50 pm
Eclipse wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:59 pm Yeah, if Mrs. Nibbly or someone else doesn't kill that twin, Clovis sure will. He's in a pretty murdery mood right now, so he has a very low tolerance for failure and disobedience. If Clovis finds out he disobeyed a direct order and got his [censored] handed to him by a squirrel, he'll end up a pile of ash and bones like Roan.
I agree with the "low tolerance for failure and disobedience", but I disagree with "murderous mood", given that he just killed the best friend he ever had, while he smiled back warmly. I mean, he'd be touchy, sure, and would probably kill anyone who didn't do what he told them to, but his psyche is too broken to feel much joy in anything at the moment. He'd kill out of rage, rather than punishment, and would probably be less observant of his subordinates for at least a short time.
See, I think having killed someone he cared about so much in his own twisted way would make him MORE likely to punish disobedience from his "disposable" minions with extreme prejudice.

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster
Posts: 651
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:02 pm

Re: Comic for February 12, 2021: Defending her Wolf

#34 Post by aitaituo »

Eclipse wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:52 am
Bellhead wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:50 pm I agree with the "low tolerance for failure and disobedience", but I disagree with "murderous mood", given that he just killed the best friend he ever had, while he smiled back warmly. I mean, he'd be touchy, sure, and would probably kill anyone who didn't do what he told them to, but his psyche is too broken to feel much joy in anything at the moment. He'd kill out of rage, rather than punishment, and would probably be less observant of his subordinates for at least a short time.

Provided the mission is completed without further "incident", which I highly doubt, Clovis would likely not even notice that his underlings went at all out of their way. He'd probably only blame them if the mission failed because of it.

Then again, it's late and I'm tired and just coming up with random thoughts... :roll:
Clovis showing his idea of "mercy" to Brutus doesn't change the fact that he felt the need to kill him. He's killing off every minion that keeps him from amassing money and power, whether they're loyal to him or not.
aitaituo wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:47 am Why did he kill Roan, again? I know he gave an explicit reason, I just think it was flimsy. For the Clovis haters, remember, "Violent men die violent deaths."
Roan took it upon himself to rescue Brutus against Clovis' orders and got himself captured. Which is.. almost exactly what this twin is doing. He's one Mrs. Nibbly [censored]-kicking away from replicating the same circumstances that got Roan killed.
Killing subordinates who show initiative is a great leadership style. It tells them that they are nothing more than disposable tools who will sooner or later be killed unless they kill you first. And that kind of largely pointless viciousness, which is at best a kind of murderous insurance policy, is reflected in his subordinate who wants to gut Sythe just because. Criminal organizations usually are built on personal bonds rather than money for a reason. If Clovis is doing this stuff because he's paranoid, then, like a lot of paranoid people, he's actively creating situations that merit paranoia. In that sense, killing Brutus is profoundly sad because it was the kind of relationship he needed to build in order to stop being so paranoid.

Not that I have any sympathy for the guy. Personality problems, trauma, and mental illness earn a lot of sympathy points, but people can reach a point where they are so inside themselves and so toxic that there's no external way to help them and no willingness on their part to be self-conscious enough to recognize the problem. When such a person is also a murderous crimelord, come on. Tom is doing a good job of alluding to both sides of Clovis' story while still making everyone hate him.

FuryoftheStars
Traveler
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:21 pm
Favorite Character: ---

Re: Comic for February 12, 2021: Defending her Wolf

#35 Post by FuryoftheStars »

aitaituo wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:21 pm
Eclipse wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:52 am
Bellhead wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:50 pm I agree with the "low tolerance for failure and disobedience", but I disagree with "murderous mood", given that he just killed the best friend he ever had, while he smiled back warmly. I mean, he'd be touchy, sure, and would probably kill anyone who didn't do what he told them to, but his psyche is too broken to feel much joy in anything at the moment. He'd kill out of rage, rather than punishment, and would probably be less observant of his subordinates for at least a short time.

Provided the mission is completed without further "incident", which I highly doubt, Clovis would likely not even notice that his underlings went at all out of their way. He'd probably only blame them if the mission failed because of it.

Then again, it's late and I'm tired and just coming up with random thoughts... :roll:
Clovis showing his idea of "mercy" to Brutus doesn't change the fact that he felt the need to kill him. He's killing off every minion that keeps him from amassing money and power, whether they're loyal to him or not.
aitaituo wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:47 am Why did he kill Roan, again? I know he gave an explicit reason, I just think it was flimsy. For the Clovis haters, remember, "Violent men die violent deaths."
Roan took it upon himself to rescue Brutus against Clovis' orders and got himself captured. Which is.. almost exactly what this twin is doing. He's one Mrs. Nibbly [censored]-kicking away from replicating the same circumstances that got Roan killed.
Killing subordinates who show initiative is a great leadership style. It tells them that they are nothing more than disposable tools who will sooner or later be killed unless they kill you first. And that kind of largely pointless viciousness, which is at best a kind of murderous insurance policy, is reflected in his subordinate who wants to gut Sythe just because. Criminal organizations usually are built on personal bonds rather than money for a reason. If Clovis is doing this stuff because he's paranoid, then, like a lot of paranoid people, he's actively creating situations that merit paranoia. In that sense, killing Brutus is profoundly sad because it was the kind of relationship he needed to build in order to stop being so paranoid.
I don’t think its so much “showing initiative” as disobeying direct orders to disastrous results. It’d be one thing if they were successful, or if what happened wasn’t a direct contradiction to their orders. I mean, if you put this into a not quite so evil setting, if I was their boss, I’d be firing their butts for what they were doing.

User avatar
Eclipse
Master
Posts: 257
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:13 pm

Re: Comic for February 12, 2021: Defending her Wolf

#36 Post by Eclipse »

aitaituo wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:21 pm
Eclipse wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:52 am
Bellhead wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:50 pm I agree with the "low tolerance for failure and disobedience", but I disagree with "murderous mood", given that he just killed the best friend he ever had, while he smiled back warmly. I mean, he'd be touchy, sure, and would probably kill anyone who didn't do what he told them to, but his psyche is too broken to feel much joy in anything at the moment. He'd kill out of rage, rather than punishment, and would probably be less observant of his subordinates for at least a short time.

Provided the mission is completed without further "incident", which I highly doubt, Clovis would likely not even notice that his underlings went at all out of their way. He'd probably only blame them if the mission failed because of it.

Then again, it's late and I'm tired and just coming up with random thoughts... :roll:
Clovis showing his idea of "mercy" to Brutus doesn't change the fact that he felt the need to kill him. He's killing off every minion that keeps him from amassing money and power, whether they're loyal to him or not.
aitaituo wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:47 am Why did he kill Roan, again? I know he gave an explicit reason, I just think it was flimsy. For the Clovis haters, remember, "Violent men die violent deaths."
Roan took it upon himself to rescue Brutus against Clovis' orders and got himself captured. Which is.. almost exactly what this twin is doing. He's one Mrs. Nibbly [censored]-kicking away from replicating the same circumstances that got Roan killed.
Killing subordinates who show initiative is a great leadership style. It tells them that they are nothing more than disposable tools who will sooner or later be killed unless they kill you first. And that kind of largely pointless viciousness, which is at best a kind of murderous insurance policy, is reflected in his subordinate who wants to gut Sythe just because. Criminal organizations usually are built on personal bonds rather than money for a reason. If Clovis is doing this stuff because he's paranoid, then, like a lot of paranoid people, he's actively creating situations that merit paranoia. In that sense, killing Brutus is profoundly sad because it was the kind of relationship he needed to build in order to stop being so paranoid.

Not that I have any sympathy for the guy. Personality problems, trauma, and mental illness earn a lot of sympathy points, but people can reach a point where they are so inside themselves and so toxic that there's no external way to help them and no willingness on their part to be self-conscious enough to recognize the problem. When such a person is also a murderous crimelord, come on. Tom is doing a good job of alluding to both sides of Clovis' story while still making everyone hate him.
I can see Clovis' rationale to some degree, although I think killing him was a bit extreme. Initiative can be great when it works out, but when it doesn't, it's an unnecessary risk that's detrimental to the mission (ironically, if Roan had succeeded Clovis might have praised and rewarded him, that's kind of a cruel irony that we even see in real world businesses, if it works you're praised as an innovative genius, if it fails you're reckless and you often find yourself fired). Going rogue and deviating from the plan could've jeopardized it, and even for a properly run organization your subordinates need to be directed to a concrete purpose to succeed.

The "Mrs. Nibbly [censored]-kicking" is a key component to Remus suffering Roan's fate. Maybe if he succeeds in killing Sythe and Mrs. Nibbly, Clovis probably wouldn't mind as much, but if he gets into a needless fight that Clovis directly ordered him not to engage and ends up defeated, that's one less body to help against his actual goal of capturing Zen. So it's very easy to see Remus being barbecued by Clovis as well if he ends up defeated. And considering there's something very off with Mrs. Nibbly, that's a highly likely possibility.

EDIT:
FuryoftheStars wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:40 pm I don’t think its so much “showing initiative” as disobeying direct orders to disastrous results. It’d be one thing if they were successful, or if what happened wasn’t a direct contradiction to their orders. I mean, if you put this into a not quite so evil setting, if I was their boss, I’d be firing their butts for what they were doing.
Thank you, you summed up what I was trying to say quite nicely.

Alea
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:16 pm
Favorite Character: .

Re: Comic for February 12, 2021: Defending her Wolf

#37 Post by Alea »

Jae wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:03 am Isn't Nibs the missing dragon princess from the bulletin board? I thought this theory was accepted on the forums a while ago, but this thread seems like we're unsure. Did I miss a beat? I only rarely lurk on the forums, so it's likely.
I assume you mean Reni's mother , the former dragon princess? I've never heard that theory before, though I suppose it's possible.

User avatar
Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Posts: 3396
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:17 pm
Location: New England, US
Favorite Character: Keith and Natani

Re: Comic for February 12, 2021: Defending her Wolf

#38 Post by Bellhead »

Alea wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:40 pm
Jae wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:03 am Isn't Nibs the missing dragon princess from the bulletin board? I thought this theory was accepted on the forums a while ago, but this thread seems like we're unsure. Did I miss a beat? I only rarely lurk on the forums, so it's likely.
I assume you mean Reni's mother , the former dragon princess? I've never heard that theory before, though I suppose it's possible.
That theory was accepted, until Seraphina debunked it. And aside from that one page, we've heard no mention of Reni's mother, so I think that comment was more of an aside. Especially considering she was the former dragon princess.
Gearhead in the digital world, who will probably grow up to be a very grumpy old man.

User avatar
Technic[Bot]
Templar GrandMaster
Posts: 870
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:48 pm
Location: México
Favorite Character: Keith!
Contact:

Re: Comic for February 12, 2021: Defending her Wolf

#39 Post by Technic[Bot] »

aitaituo wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:21 pm
Eclipse wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:52 am
Bellhead wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:50 pm I agree with the "low tolerance for failure and disobedience", but I disagree with "murderous mood", given that he just killed the best friend he ever had, while he smiled back warmly. I mean, he'd be touchy, sure, and would probably kill anyone who didn't do what he told them to, but his psyche is too broken to feel much joy in anything at the moment. He'd kill out of rage, rather than punishment, and would probably be less observant of his subordinates for at least a short time.

Provided the mission is completed without further "incident", which I highly doubt, Clovis would likely not even notice that his underlings went at all out of their way. He'd probably only blame them if the mission failed because of it.

Then again, it's late and I'm tired and just coming up with random thoughts... :roll:
Clovis showing his idea of "mercy" to Brutus doesn't change the fact that he felt the need to kill him. He's killing off every minion that keeps him from amassing money and power, whether they're loyal to him or not.
aitaituo wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:47 am Why did he kill Roan, again? I know he gave an explicit reason, I just think it was flimsy. For the Clovis haters, remember, "Violent men die violent deaths."
Roan took it upon himself to rescue Brutus against Clovis' orders and got himself captured. Which is.. almost exactly what this twin is doing. He's one Mrs. Nibbly [censored]-kicking away from replicating the same circumstances that got Roan killed.
Killing subordinates who show initiative is a great leadership style. It tells them that they are nothing more than disposable tools who will sooner or later be killed unless they kill you first. And that kind of largely pointless viciousness, which is at best a kind of murderous insurance policy, is reflected in his subordinate who wants to gut Sythe just because. Criminal organizations usually are built on personal bonds rather than money for a reason. If Clovis is doing this stuff because he's paranoid, then, like a lot of paranoid people, he's actively creating situations that merit paranoia. In that sense, killing Brutus is profoundly sad because it was the kind of relationship he needed to build in order to stop being so paranoid.

Not that I have any sympathy for the guy. Personality problems, trauma, and mental illness earn a lot of sympathy points, but people can reach a point where they are so inside themselves and so toxic that there's no external way to help them and no willingness on their part to be self-conscious enough to recognize the problem. When such a person is also a murderous crimelord, come on. Tom is doing a good job of alluding to both sides of Clovis' story while still making everyone hate him.
Sorry not sure if you were serious or sarcastic : ( gonna assume the latter
AS i have said before, Clovis is a comic book villain, and a good one at that, but tha means he does not have to worry about the real world logistical hurdles of managing a criminal empire, like for example caring about your mean if only because you need them to get the job done. Real succesfull criminal organization operate more like well oiled enterprises an thus require good leaders with managerial skills to keep everything afloat, of course as a crime syndicate you also need to be ruthless but being pointless vicious, specially towards your own men, does note help anyone. And as other have pointed out, money won't buy loyatly nor respect which leavs Clovis henchmen with not much incentive to follow him something Roan pointed out before being roasted.
FuryoftheStars wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:40 pm -snip-

I don’t think its so much “showing initiative” as disobeying direct orders to disastrous results. It’d be one thing if they were successful, or if what happened wasn’t a direct contradiction to their orders. I mean, if you put this into a not quite so evil setting, if I was their boss, I’d be firing their butts for what they were doing.
"There is nothing more dangerous than an idiot who believes he is smart and has lots of initiative."
Eclipse wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:49 pm -snip-

I can see Clovis' rationale to some degree, although I think killing him was a bit extreme. Initiative can be great when it works out, but when it doesn't, it's an unnecessary risk that's detrimental to the mission (ironically, if Roan had succeeded Clovis might have praised and rewarded him, that's kind of a cruel irony that we even see in real world businesses, if it works you're praised as an innovative genius, if it fails you're reckless and you often find yourself fired). Going rogue and deviating from the plan could've jeopardized it, and even for a properly run organization your subordinates need to be directed to a concrete purpose to succeed.

The "Mrs. Nibbly [censored]-kicking" is a key component to Remus suffering Roan's fate. Maybe if he succeeds in killing Sythe and Mrs. Nibbly, Clovis probably wouldn't mind as much, but if he gets into a needless fight that Clovis directly ordered him not to engage and ends up defeated, that's one less body to help against his actual goal of capturing Zen. So it's very easy to see Remus being barbecued by Clovis as well if he ends up defeated. And considering there's something very off with Mrs. Nibbly, that's a highly likely possibility.

EDIT:
FuryoftheStars wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:40 pm I don’t think its so much “showing initiative” as disobeying direct orders to disastrous results. It’d be one thing if they were successful, or if what happened wasn’t a direct contradiction to their orders. I mean, if you put this into a not quite so evil setting, if I was their boss, I’d be firing their butts for what they were doing.
Thank you, you summed up what I was trying to say quite nicely.
I do not think Roan would have been praised had they succeeded. After all Clovis plan was to confess his feeling to Brutus in a private setting and then kill him softly and probably blame it on the State, Trace or anyone else. How was he supposed to do that had Roan succeed? Maybe that is why he ended up killing him, he was not only disobeying direct orders but was, unknowingly getting in the way of his plan.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

User avatar
Rafe
Templar Master
Posts: 487
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:00 am

Re: Comic for February 12, 2021: Defending her Wolf

#40 Post by Rafe »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:51 pm I do not think Roan would have been praised had they succeeded. After all Clovis plan was to confess his feeling to Brutus in a private setting and then kill him softly and probably blame it on the State, Trace or anyone else. How was he supposed to do that had Roan succeed? Maybe that is why he ended up killing him, he was not only disobeying direct orders but was, unknowingly getting in the way of his plan.
This makes sense if Clovis didn't want anyone to witness how he killed Brutus. By that, I mean either Clovis didn't want it known that "hey, even if you are completely loyal to Clovis, and never question his orders, he'll kill you like you were nothing to him," OR he didn't want Roan around to see him rather tenderly confess his feelings to Brutus. Probably both.

User avatar
Eclipse
Master
Posts: 257
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:13 pm

Re: Comic for February 12, 2021: Defending her Wolf

#41 Post by Eclipse »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:51 pm I do not think Roan would have been praised had they succeeded. After all Clovis plan was to confess his feeling to Brutus in a private setting and then kill him softly and probably blame it on the State, Trace or anyone else. How was he supposed to do that had Roan succeed? Maybe that is why he ended up killing him, he was not only disobeying direct orders but was, unknowingly getting in the way of his plan.
Well if that was his intent, then yeah, he wouldn't have. But Roan failing is even more reason in Clovis' eyes to kill him. Failure in a criminal organization means either getting captured or killed, and the former can be even worse since his enemies could gain crucial info that could be used against him. Hence Clovis decided to kill him.

EDIT:

Actually come to think of it, part of the reason Clovis was so motivated to kill Brutus was because he went out of his way to save him, and that caused him to realize that he cared about him too much. If Roan had succeeded and saved him the trouble, he might not have realized that Brutus had that kind of power over him in the first place, and Clovis would have no plan to kill off Brutus in private for Roan to derail.

User avatar
Jae
Apprentice
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:30 pm
Location: Writing in a corner
Contact:

Re: Comic for February 12, 2021: Defending her Wolf

#42 Post by Jae »

Bellhead wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:48 pm
Alea wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:40 pm
Jae wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:03 am Isn't Nibs the missing dragon princess from the bulletin board? I thought this theory was accepted on the forums a while ago, but this thread seems like we're unsure. Did I miss a beat? I only rarely lurk on the forums, so it's likely.
I assume you mean Reni's mother , the former dragon princess? I've never heard that theory before, though I suppose it's possible.
That theory was accepted, until Seraphina debunked it. And aside from that one page, we've heard no mention of Reni's mother, so I think that comment was more of an aside. Especially considering she was the former dragon princess.

Thaaaaanks guys! I knew you'd have the answers I needed! For some reason, I'd thought there was another Dragon Princess in addition to Reni, though now I guess that Nibs could still be her mother? Unlikely, but anything's possible when you're dealing with a squirrel. :squirrel:
—Jae Lynn

User avatar
Technic[Bot]
Templar GrandMaster
Posts: 870
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:48 pm
Location: México
Favorite Character: Keith!
Contact:

Re: Comic for February 12, 2021: Defending her Wolf

#43 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Eclipse wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:13 am
Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:51 pm I do not think Roan would have been praised had they succeeded. After all Clovis plan was to confess his feeling to Brutus in a private setting and then kill him softly and probably blame it on the State, Trace or anyone else. How was he supposed to do that had Roan succeed? Maybe that is why he ended up killing him, he was not only disobeying direct orders but was, unknowingly getting in the way of his plan.
Well if that was his intent, then yeah, he wouldn't have. But Roan failing is even more reason in Clovis' eyes to kill him. Failure in a criminal organization means either getting captured or killed, and the former can be even worse since his enemies could gain crucial info that could be used against him. Hence Clovis decided to kill him.

EDIT:

Actually come to think of it, part of the reason Clovis was so motivated to kill Brutus was because he went out of his way to save him, and that caused him to realize that he cared about him too much. If Roan had succeeded and saved him the trouble, he might not have realized that Brutus had that kind of power over him in the first place, and Clovis would have no plan to kill off Brutus in private for Roan to derail.
Not sure I think he realized his feeling were real when he considered of going out to rescue himself, before setting a foot in the manor. And at some point decided to go, not to save him but to end him. I think Roan successfully rescuing Brutus would have been a hindrance for that
In any case what i tried to say is that Clovis killed Roan not out of incompetence, he faced dragon magic way out of his league, or lack of loyatly, seems Clovis is aware his men only follow him for money, but because he was a witness he could not have that.
Alea wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:40 pm
Jae wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:03 am Isn't Nibs the missing dragon princess from the bulletin board? I thought this theory was accepted on the forums a while ago, but this thread seems like we're unsure. Did I miss a beat? I only rarely lurk on the forums, so it's likely.
I assume you mean Reni's mother , the former dragon princess? I've never heard that theory before, though I suppose it's possible.


I do wonder why she meant by former. I used to think it simply meant that he mom no longer hold the title because Reni was born. But the way she says it and how she looks while saying it. Maybe she is hinting at something, like she lost the title for some reason? Or who knows maybe i am reading to much into it and only the youngest member of human/dragon royalty is considered a prince.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

steelabjur
Templar Master
Posts: 491
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:59 am

Re: Comic for February 12, 2021: Defending her Wolf

#44 Post by steelabjur »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:11 am
Eclipse wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:13 am
Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:51 pm I do not think Roan would have been praised had they succeeded. After all Clovis plan was to confess his feeling to Brutus in a private setting and then kill him softly and probably blame it on the State, Trace or anyone else. How was he supposed to do that had Roan succeed? Maybe that is why he ended up killing him, he was not only disobeying direct orders but was, unknowingly getting in the way of his plan.
Well if that was his intent, then yeah, he wouldn't have. But Roan failing is even more reason in Clovis' eyes to kill him. Failure in a criminal organization means either getting captured or killed, and the former can be even worse since his enemies could gain crucial info that could be used against him. Hence Clovis decided to kill him.

EDIT:

Actually come to think of it, part of the reason Clovis was so motivated to kill Brutus was because he went out of his way to save him, and that caused him to realize that he cared about him too much. If Roan had succeeded and saved him the trouble, he might not have realized that Brutus had that kind of power over him in the first place, and Clovis would have no plan to kill off Brutus in private for Roan to derail.
Not sure I think he realized his feeling were real when he considered of going out to rescue himself, before setting a foot in the manor. And at some point decided to go, not to save him but to end him. I think Roan successfully rescuing Brutus would have been a hindrance for that
In any case what i tried to say is that Clovis killed Roan not out of incompetence, he faced dragon magic way out of his league, or lack of loyatly, seems Clovis is aware his men only follow him for money, but because he was a witness he could not have that.
Alea wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:40 pm
Jae wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:03 am Isn't Nibs the missing dragon princess from the bulletin board? I thought this theory was accepted on the forums a while ago, but this thread seems like we're unsure. Did I miss a beat? I only rarely lurk on the forums, so it's likely.
I assume you mean Reni's mother , the former dragon princess? I've never heard that theory before, though I suppose it's possible.


I do wonder why she meant by former. I used to think it simply meant that he mom no longer hold the title because Reni was born. But the way she says it and how she looks while saying it. Maybe she is hinting at something, like she lost the title for some reason? Or who knows maybe i am reading to much into it and only the youngest member of human/dragon royalty is considered a prince.
I'd say his biggest issue with Roan and Sam was they were only interested in rescuing Brutus to use him to leverage a reward from Clovis. If they were there just to rescue a fellow guildsman, or because they thought the enemy having Brutus might cause them issues, Clovis might have been more lenient.

User avatar
Elio
Citizen
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:51 am

Re: Comic for February 12, 2021: Defending her Wolf

#45 Post by Elio »

Thinks mrs.nibs is going to show her true form, she may be actually a changeing there been hints and other things that people have noted about mrs.nib.
But what if she's actually a squirrel that got experimented on by a dragon(that would explain her fear) and uses her natural form that she remembers (going by a old dnd story of a person that was cursed with immortality and they was a changeling that lived for so long that they forgot what their actually true natural form) :squirrel:

Post Reply