Comic for February 7, 2021: Poisonous Friendship

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Panther
Merchant

Re: Comic for February 7, 2021: Poisonous Friendship

#106 Post by Panther »

OMG !!!!!!

What you've made , Clovis ??? You've (apparently) killed the one friend you had . I hope your reward of all this will value your now and forever loneliness , even if you seems to have regrets from it .............. (;_;) (;_;)

It's so a very sad page
Man is a wolf for man ........ Don't insult the wolves :natani:

Rasol
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith

#107 Post by Rasol »

Its been a couple days, and I've done some thinking. Here's a thought for those of you still looking for 'answers' about why Clovis did this.

[DEEP SPECULATION AHEAD]

Clovis is scared. The world of Twokinds is ANYTHING but kind. We've been told before that foxes & wolves don't get along. Heck, as far as we can tell NONE of the Keidran get along with other Keidran who are not of 'their kind'. So if he will never be fully accepted by other Keidran, then who? The isolationist Bastin? The genocide-prone humans? Yeah. No. Clovis will NEVER belong. Not with the world as it is.

So he built a wall. A wall made of money, and power, and with a foundation of blood. Like Virgil in Devil May Cry, Clovis seeks more and more power to protect himself from the things that have hurt him in the past. Not a sword with which to tear down the broken world, but a shield to protect him from the slings & arrows that are always present. Ones that presumably have struck him in the past.

Then along comes Brutus. Another oaf. A brick in his wall. A rivet in his shield. The strongest of them. Brutus I'm sure has been instrumental in helping Clovis build his empire. But then he got captured. Then Clovis had a thought. A terrible thought. He wanted to rush out and save his FRIEND. He was willing, for a brief moment to risk his own neck, to expose himself... all to save one person. That was NOT acceptable. Brutus was not his friend. Clovis doesn't HAVE friends. He has associates, and Brutus could no longer be one of those. Not anymore. He was a liability. A weakness.

And so he went to the mansion. Not to save Brutus; but to end him. In Clovis' mind, a friend like Brutus is too risky. What if next time he doesn't come to his senses? What if he does something stupid to save a 'friend' and it hurts him. No. He needed to end it. He needed to see Brutus die. He had to make sure that weakness was removed for good.

Clovis isn't a 'badly written cartoon villain'. He's a victim of a world that is broken.
For all his money, and all his power, the one thing Clovis can never afford is a true friend.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#108 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Warrl wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:04 am
Technic[Bot] wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:53 amHe had at least the decency of killing him softly and he will return the favor.
But how well can Brutus or Clovis sing?
I think I made a reference by accident :)
Rasol wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:06 am Its been a couple days, and I've done some thinking. Here's a thought for those of you still looking for 'answers' about why Clovis did this.

[DEEP SPECULATION AHEAD]

Clovis is scared. The world of Twokinds is ANYTHING but kind. We've been told before that foxes & wolves don't get along. Heck, as far as we can tell NONE of the Keidran get along with other Keidran who are not of 'their kind'. So if he will never be fully accepted by other Keidran, then who? The isolationist Bastin? The genocide-prone humans? Yeah. No. Clovis will NEVER belong. Not with the world as it is.

So he built a wall. A wall made of money, and power, and with a foundation of blood. Like Virgil in Devil May Cry, Clovis seeks more and more power to protect himself from the things that have hurt him in the past. Not a sword with which to tear down the broken world, but a shield to protect him from the slings & arrows that are always present. Ones that presumably have struck him in the past.

Then along comes Brutus. Another oaf. A brick in his wall. A rivet in his shield. The strongest of them. Brutus I'm sure has been instrumental in helping Clovis build his empire. But then he got captured. Then Clovis had a thought. A terrible thought. He wanted to rush out and save his FRIEND. He was willing, for a brief moment to risk his own neck, to expose himself... all to save one person. That was NOT acceptable. Brutus was not his friend. Clovis doesn't HAVE friends. He has associates, and Brutus could no longer be one of those. Not anymore. He was a liability. A weakness.

And so he went to the mansion. Not to save Brutus; but to end him. In Clovis' mind, a friend like Brutus is too risky. What if next time he doesn't come to his senses? What if he does something stupid to save a 'friend' and it hurts him. No. He needed to end it. He needed to see Brutus die. He had to make sure that weakness was removed for good.

Clovis isn't a 'badly written cartoon villain'. He's a victim of a world that is broken.
For all his money, and all his power, the one thing Clovis can never afford is a true friend.
(;_;) is someone chopping onions around?
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

MaverickMopete
Citizen

#109 Post by MaverickMopete »

Rasol wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:06 am Clovis doesn't HAVE friends. He has associates,
Replace "associates" with "minions" and I think you nailed it.

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#110 Post by aitaituo »

Rasol wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:06 am Its been a couple days, and I've done some thinking. Here's a thought for those of you still looking for 'answers' about why Clovis did this.

[DEEP SPECULATION AHEAD]

What is the risk in merely cutting Brutus loose?

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#111 Post by Bellhead »

aitaituo wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:20 am
Rasol wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:06 am [DEEP SPECULATION AHEAD]

snip
What is the risk in merely cutting Brutus loose?
Brutus is the only real "friend" Clovis ever had, to our knowledge. These last two pages show just how much he cared about him. Being the only person Clovis truly cares for, Brutus is a MAJOR tactical weakness, as he can be used as leverage very easily. Case in point, Clovis showed up in the Estate in person to save him. Had Clovis merely kicked him out of the organization to live in peace, he would still be "Brutus the (former) right-hand of the Prince Of Greed", no matter how far Clovis sent him. Regardless of whether or not he could tell Clovis' enemies about his operations, his enemies would not know that, and would go after him for that information. And if they went after Brutus, Clovis' feelings would force him to get him back, even if it meant risking his own hide.

Personally, though, I think his reasoning for opting for death over disowning was more emotional rather than logical, as I explained in a prior post. Simply put, I believe he felt that he had no choice but to kill him, because of how close he had become and how much he cared. His bond itself was what had to be destroyed, and since that couldn't be done, Brutus had to die.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Rasol
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith

#112 Post by Rasol »

Also, want to point out, that IF this is true, Clovis is a foil to old Trace.

Old Trace sought power to use as a sword, or a hammer. To break this broken world. Tear it down, and build something better on the rubble.

Clovis seeks power to shield himself from the broken world.

Current Trace seeks power to shield others. (Typical of most protagonists)

Spazoid
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora

#113 Post by Spazoid »

Sorry, all you hopefuls, but to paraphrase Monty Python -- "'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This worf is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e
rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain, and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-WOLF!! "

In more real terms, he was a security risk, as he had seen Clovis within the estate.

Clovis' actions were prudent in his long run planning....but it looks like it DID pain him to do it.
"Boldly going forward, 'cause I can't find reverse!"

whiskeyfur
Citizen

#114 Post by whiskeyfur »

In some situations, kinda hate it when I'm right and this is one such situation.

Truth be told... and I'm sure there's going to be a few here who might disagree, but I don't see a way to bring Brutus back without cheapening his sacrifice for the story.

Clovis made a choice and now he's damned to walk it, and that partly makes for a good villain. The guy we love to hate and see put down in the end.

BTW.. I looked for my old post and didn't see it in the other thread.. was it deleted and why? too spoilery? (even if it was all guesses?)

Hayate
The Hidden User

#115 Post by Hayate »

whiskeyfur wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:32 am BTW.. I looked for my old post and didn't see it in the other thread.. was it deleted and why? too spoilery? (even if it was all guesses?)
I have no record that any of your recent posts have been removed. In the event a post is removed, you will be informed, usually with a warning. I took a quick look at your posts and found this; viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20764&p=921889#p921889 Maybe you just missed it?
~Hayate~
--Moderator/Global Moderator
--

--Forum Rules--
--Moderators --
--Administrators
--

whiskeyfur
Citizen

#116 Post by whiskeyfur »

Hayate wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:23 am I have no record that any of your recent posts have been removed. In the event a post is removed, you will be informed, usually with a warning. I took a quick look at your posts and found this; viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20764&p=921889#p921889 Maybe you just missed it?
Yep, found it. Weird. Pretty sure I went through it post by post searching (with ctrl-f) looking for my username and it didn't show up then. No idea what happened.

stlsf4003
Apprentice

#117 Post by stlsf4003 »

Final thoughts along with speculation ahead.

With Brutus dead, there's really not much point keeping Clovis around at this point. The one person who could of really given us a good look at what made him tick is now pushing up daisies.

As such, I feel this chapter will be his first and last big roll in the comic with him ending up dead or worse by chapters end. (which I'm all for after all)

But if by some twist of fate I'm wrong about this, then I'll gladly admit it.

Though so far i'm 2/0 in the prediction department.
the lurking furry railroader

Spazoid
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora

#118 Post by Spazoid »

stlsf4003 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:37 pm Final thoughts along with speculation ahead.

With Brutus dead, there's really not much point keeping Clovis around at this point. The one person who could of really given us a good look at what made him tick is now pushing up daisies.

As such, I feel this chapter will be his first and last big roll in the comic with him ending up dead or worse by chapters end. (which I'm all for after all)

I dunno about that....a bit of time was spent setting Clovis up as the big baddie....it would make no sense to write him out of the story now.

More likely, his killing Brutus is Clovis' crossing of the Rubicon...if he can so easily kill a loyal friend/supporter like that, all bets are now off.
"Boldly going forward, 'cause I can't find reverse!"

stlsf4003
Apprentice

#119 Post by stlsf4003 »

Spazoid wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:56 pm
stlsf4003 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:37 pm Final thoughts along with speculation ahead.

I dunno about that....a bit of time was spent setting Clovis up as the big baddie....it would make no sense to write him out of the story now.

More likely, his killing Brutus is Clovis' crossing of the Rubicon...if he can so easily kill a loyal friend/supporter like that, all bets are now off.
Like I said. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

I'm just saying that will be Clovis' only chance to tie up all loose ends. With Brutus dead all he'd have to do now would be to bump off Zen and Natani and he'd be free to get back to some form of normalcy. Just without his number two wolf by his side.

So if he manages to slip out of the manor without completing those last two objectives, the most he would be able to do would to send bounty hunters after them rather then risk going after them himself, thus putting him out of the spotlight for who knows how long.

No I think this is his end game. He either walks out of that manor with Zen's head on a silver palter and Natani in chains or he gets what's coming to him in the most violent and brutal way possible.
the lurking furry railroader

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#120 Post by Technic[Bot] »

We have a amnesiac necromancer with his failed diy Alexa/siri experiment conducting some eldritch ritual.

There are no shortage of terrible horrible way for Clovis to end just in the manor. Pretty sure he will at least kick the bucket at best or end up bound to the state at worse. I will be a bit disappointed if he just walks away.

I do agree with Brutus dead there is no more character development for him he already decided he is gonna stay evil no matter the cost. So there is little point, narratively speaking, to keep him alive.

That being said if he manages to leave it would be ironic if his third in command cassius finds out he killed his friend brutus and get clovis men to revolt and kill him.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide