Comic for February 7, 2021: Poisonous Friendship

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

MatyMaty
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: Sythe

Re: Comic for February 7, 2021: Poisonous Friendship

#61 Post by MatyMaty »

I almost hope that leaving Brutu's body "unspoiled" leads to Detritus finding it and somehow bringing him back even if it is just in a zombie like state, just to see Clovi's reaction to seeing that :P

Him
The Secret Forum Mod
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#62 Post by Him »

I, for one, welcome the change in pace. This was certainly more personal than incinerating the other wolf and is refreshing in its own way.

Cpt. H.L. Rodney
New Citizen

#63 Post by Cpt. H.L. Rodney »

Damn you, Tom...

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#64 Post by tony1695 »

I suspect Tom was more than happy that people kept using the sketch requests for more Brutus. It let him establish his character, when there wouldn't have been any space for it in the comic. It let us get attached to him. Which let him hurt us more.

I also suspect that it changed a few things about how Brutus was killed. I don't doubt that Brutus was always gonna die. I just think that it's likely that originally his death was not gonna be anywhere near as gentle.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

stlsf4003
Apprentice

#65 Post by stlsf4003 »

tony1695 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:35 am I suspect Tom was more than happy that people kept using the sketch requests for more Brutus. It let him establish his character, when there wouldn't have been any space for it in the comic. It let us get attached to him. Which let him hurt us more.

I also suspect that it changed a few things about how Brutus was killed. I don't doubt that Brutus was always gonna die. I just think that it's likely that originally his death was not gonna be anywhere near as gentle.
I so I guess what your saying is that Tom played us like a damn fiddle! XD
the lurking furry railroader

jacobc62
Grand Templar

#66 Post by jacobc62 »

stlsf4003 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:46 am I so I guess what your saying is that Tom played us like a damn fiddle! XD
Less Tom and more "Everyone who fell in love with Brutus from the sketches"
"That poor, sexy [censored]...." -Evals Vaughan, October 2016

stlsf4003
Apprentice

#67 Post by stlsf4003 »

jacobc62 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:05 am
stlsf4003 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:46 am I so I guess what your saying is that Tom played us like a damn fiddle! XD
Less Tom and more "Everyone who fell in love with Brutus from the sketches"
Fare enough. Tom certainly ran with it though! Pity It had to end this way though. But when you work with (or are close to) Clovis, you're living life on the razors edge.
the lurking furry railroader

Zaigan
New Citizen

#68 Post by Zaigan »

MatyMaty wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:25 am I almost hope that leaving Brutu's body "unspoiled" leads to Detritus finding it and somehow bringing him back even if it is just in a zombie like state, just to see Clovi's reaction to seeing that :P
You know, that would be oddly poetic. Maybe re-Animated Brutus could death blow Clovis. In the end, he was destroyed by the friendship he rebuked. Plus, guess it would pay off that name.

MaverickMopete
Citizen

#69 Post by MaverickMopete »

This is exactly like the scene in Toy Story 3 where Lotso refused to push the button to save the other toys from being incinerated. They had to add that to make absolutely sure everyone saw him as an utterly irredeemable jerklord so that we would cheer when he ultimately got his comeuppance.

Same thing here with Clovis.

multilis
Citizen

#70 Post by multilis »

I am in the "not certain Brutus is gone" club, we are in world with healing magic, and a house where someone was in a fashion brought back from the dead. If Brutus survives he is prime candidate to later stab Clovis and kill him. It would also be poetic justice that Clovis got rid of loyal Brutus to get rid of a weakness but instead created the fatal weakness by turning the guy who knew him best into an enemy.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#71 Post by Bellhead »

multilis wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:26 pm It would also be poetic justice that Clovis got rid of loyal Brutus to get rid of a weakness but instead created the fatal weakness by turning the guy who knew him best into an enemy.
While I understand it from a story standpoint, I just don't see it happening. Even right up to the end, Brutus was happy to see him, and seemed to have no reservations about trusting him. If he was brought back, he'd make his own excuses about how his caring boss would come back for him eventually. And keep in mind, Brutus is dumb. Like, REALLY dumb.

Even if he did realize Clovis killed him, he wouldn't be able to do much, even with help, aside from maybe ruining his image if he decided to share his history with him, but even that is unlikely, given that he is a prisoner of war right now.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Rimefeather Mage

#72 Post by Rimefeather Mage »

I have been happily lurking for years now but this comic is making me come out of lurker mode because I freaking saw it coming and I'm still mad about it and I just felt the need to vocalize how mad I am about being right! :x

multilis
Citizen

#73 Post by multilis »

"While I understand it from a story standpoint, I just don't see it happening. Even right up to the end, Brutus was happy to see him, and seemed to have no reservations about trusting him. If he was brought back, he'd make his own excuses about how his caring boss would come back for him eventually. And keep in mind, Brutus is dumb. Like, REALLY dumb."

Brutus just saw Boss kill other minion (and thus at first frightenedly said good to see you boss). Then to die poisoned and perhaps hear boss sadly say goodbye (rather than Boss trying to take you along or cure you)... I think even Brutus can figure things out if he survives. Brutus being loyal minion would know more about Boss including hiding places, friends, habits than anyone else, so is a weakness to a guy who lives in secrets.

If Brutus survives this, he is not just a prisoner of war anymore but the survivor of a mystery that tried to kill/silence him, he is key intel source and if he understands Clovis just tried to kill him an "enemy of our enemy".

SangheiliSpecOp
Traveler

#74 Post by SangheiliSpecOp »

multilis wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:26 pm I am in the "not certain Brutus is gone" club, we are in world with healing magic, and a house where someone was in a fashion brought back from the dead. If Brutus survives he is prime candidate to later stab Clovis and kill him. It would also be poetic justice that Clovis got rid of loyal Brutus to get rid of a weakness but instead created the fatal weakness by turning the guy who knew him best into an enemy.
This would be so amazing but also so sad to see. Could you imagine Brutus trying to take out Clovis?

SangheiliSpecOp
Traveler

#75 Post by SangheiliSpecOp »

Rimefeather Mage wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:25 pm I have been happily lurking for years now but this comic is making me come out of lurker mode because I freaking saw it coming and I'm still mad about it and I just felt the need to vocalize how mad I am about being right! :x
I hear you, I have had an account on here for a decade now and read the posts on every single comic page, but only recently have I felt the need to come on and comment some more. We are getting some good stuff.