Comic for January 21, 2021: The Value of Brutus

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Jonesy
Templar Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

Comic for January 21, 2021: The Value of Brutus

#1 Post by Jonesy »

I can't believe that in all my years of being here, this is my first time posting a comic page thread. Apologies in advance if I got the format wrong. Though it looks like Tom forgot to update the date on the comic name.

Anyway, I have a bad feeling about what's coming for Brutus. Interesting as it is to hear Clovis' thoughts on him, that last line doesn't bode well...

Tetrahedron
Merchant

Re: Comic for January 21, 2021: The Value of Brutus

#2 Post by Tetrahedron »

Well, to be honest, Brutus must be almost mentally disabled... Clovis didn't even say, he would not kill him. Just not this way... This should give you some serious thoughts...

Well, and fire-nerd here: Burning a corpse this fast would create a steam explosion heavy enough to kill anybody in the room.
Hence, if I just calculate in my head to boil 50 kg of water in 10 sec...
2500 kJ/kg * 50 kg / 10 s = 12500 kJ/s
That's 12,5 MW

TheMouse
Templar GrandMaster

#3 Post by TheMouse »

Oh, I do not like where this is going. Himbo wolf is in danger!
_____
Submission is not weakness.
It takes a far stronger will to submit with grace and dignity than to pretend to be strong.
Unknown wrote:Live your life in such a way that the Westboro Baptist Church will picket your funeral.

Eclipse
Templar Master

#4 Post by Eclipse »

Well, that's about as sentimental as you're going to get with Clovis. He sees Brutus as nothing more than his favorite toy. And even then he sees that as too much. Brutus better watch himself, that last line makes it sound like he might be next. That is the kind of thing a villain says before they stab them in the back.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#5 Post by Bellhead »

Oh.. crap... Not good.

After everything we went through in the last comic thread, this.. He doesn't deserve this.

If you kill him, Clovis, I hope you die a death worse than fire.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

MaverickMopete
Citizen

#6 Post by MaverickMopete »

Bellhead wrote:If you kill him, Clovis, I hope you die a death worse than fire.
Or are forced to be be a pole dancer in female form for the rest of your life.

I have a feeling that Clovis is actually telling the truth here. Brutus is one of (if not the only) follower that's stupid yet blindly loyal. The kind that always does what Clovis says without question or hesitation.

That's too valuable an asset for a crime lord to throw away unless he really screws up.

Hayate
The Hidden User

#7 Post by Hayate »

Well that’s a big oh dear...
~Hayate~
--Moderator/Global Moderator
--

--Forum Rules--
--Moderators --
--Administrators
--

Cosmacelf
Apprentice

#8 Post by Cosmacelf »

MaverickMopete wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:31 pm

I have a feeling that Clovis is actually telling the truth here. Brutus is one of (if not the only) follower that's stupid yet blindly loyal. The kind that always does what Clovis says without question or hesitation.

That's too valuable an asset for a crime lord to throw away unless he really screws up.
I agree. Regardless of Clovis' unfortunate choice of words about killing Brutus, I think that embrace is genuine. Clovis really does like, dare I say love, Brutus. Isn't it about time that TwoKinds has a same gender pairing? Platonic or otherwise, I think they care for each other.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#9 Post by Bellhead »

Cosmacelf wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:06 am

I agree. Regardless of Clovis' unfortunate choice of words about killing Brutus, I think that embrace is genuine. Clovis really does like, dare I say love, Brutus. Isn't it about time that TwoKinds has a same gender pairing? Platonic or otherwise, I think they care for each other.
Regardless of his loyalty or usefulness, those words.. "Brutus…You’ve always been my most loyal friend. A weakness I’ve allowed myself to tolerate." His intentions are pretty darn clear, as is his stance on the matter. He sees his connection to Brutus as a weakness; his care would only get him into trouble. Case in point, he entered the Estate in person, no less, for the purpose of releasing him. He did that because he has true feelings for him, and pretty strong ones at that. That's not the question here. That last line, "allowed myself to tolerate", is pretty indicative of a followup line to the effect of "I cannot allow this weakness to continue" or some such, promptly followed by.. removing the weakness.

His understanding, much like other characters in other series, is "I'm better off getting rid of these feelings so they can't hold me back" and the typical villain way to do this is simply to kill them; to know for absolute certainty what their fate was. 'If you KNOW they're dead, there is nothing left to worry about.' It's the complete opposite of the hero approach, 'this bond will give me strength', which Clovis is DEFINITELY not going for.

He's aware of how much Brutus means to him. I'd go so far as to say he's afraid of it, realizing with this event just how far he would push himself, just to save one person, and without any real logical reason why. The greedy, power-hungry vengeful paranoid prince would have no other option than to get rid of him, and gods I hate it. I can see why Tom had to take an extra day for the dialog here, and I kinda hate him for doing so well with it. It's clear Clovis is speaking from the heart here, even with his clearly derogatory choice of words, which makes what he's actually saying that much more infuriating. It takes true writing talent to make a character that unlikable.

TL;DR:
I read WAAY to much into things sometimes.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Cosmacelf
Apprentice

#10 Post by Cosmacelf »

Bellhead wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:27 am
Cosmacelf wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:06 am

Regardless of his loyalty or usefulness, those words.. "Brutus…You’ve always been my most loyal friend. A weakness I’ve allowed myself to tolerate." His intentions are pretty darn clear, as is his stance on the matter. He sees his connection to Brutus as a weakness; his care would only get him into trouble. Case in point, he entered the Estate in person, no less, for the purpose of releasing him. He did that because he has true feelings for him, and pretty strong ones at that. That's not the question here. That last line, "allowed myself to tolerate", is pretty indicative of a followup line to the effect of "I cannot allow this weakness to continue" or some such, promptly followed by.. removing the weakness.

His understanding, much like other characters in other series, is "I'm better off getting rid of these feelings so they can't hold me back" and the typical villain way to do this is simply to kill them; to know for absolute certainty what their fate was. 'If you KNOW they're dead, there is nothing left to worry about.' It's the complete opposite of the hero approach, 'this bond will give me strength', which Clovis is DEFINITELY not going for.

He's aware of how much Brutus means to him. I'd go so far as to say he's afraid of it, realizing with this event just how far he would push himself, just to save one person, and without any real logical reason why. The greedy, power-hungry vengeful paranoid prince would have no other option than to get rid of him, and gods I hate it. I can see why Tom had to take an extra day for the dialog here, and I kinda hate him for doing so well with it. It's clear Clovis is speaking from the heart here, even with his clearly derogatory choice of words, which makes what he's actually saying that much more infuriating. It takes true writing talent to make a character that unlikable.

TL;DR:
I read WAAY to much into things sometimes.
Yes, I think you do! I like my interpretation better since it tickles my romance bone. Or as Dolores Abernathy would say "Some people choose to see the ugliness in this world. The disarray. I choose to see the beauty."

Zaigan
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#11 Post by Zaigan »

Oh man, just imagine if Clovis's hatred of women was secretly like some sort of means of coping with unrequited feelings for Brutus. Not that anything is really wrong with it just being a passionate friendship, but if Brutus only likes girls and Clovis was at least bi but not wanting to make use of his female punishment body, he would be the one thing he could never have.

Secret gay feelings for a friend is fairly cliche, so even just deep friendship has about the same punch. (But I still wouldn't mind it. It's the most "humanizing" thing we've seen out of Clovis.)

It would be sad if Clovis hurts Brutus, because I do think he's the one thing beyond himself that he's capable of loving on any meaningful level. Hopefully he doesn't get Han Solo'd.

I think even the weird talk about not killing Brutus via fire is kind of a strange expression of love, like Clovis is a sociopath, so he considers a possibility where he would have to kill the only person he loves, but then he'd do it in a gentler method.

Man though, just check out that change in demeanor when Clovis realizes he's scared Brutus, and talks about him. It's like he's melted into his right hand wolf. Whether he decides he needs to excise this weakness at some point, it seems that feeling is genuine.

Good page, and caught me off guard.

Also, that tail wag from Brutus, he's already back to adoring Clovis, even after what he just saw. True love.

AlphonseVaher
Fav. Twokinds Character: Brutus

#12 Post by AlphonseVaher »

Brutus is the best boi. The most loyal of bois.

And the perfect plot device to remind us all that Clovis isn't just comic relief. He's the Bad Guy. Or -A- bad guy. (Bad girl, whatever)

We could all be overthinking this but my money is on Brutus being a reminder for readers that it may have been fun to imagine him in all of those compromising situations, however, he is still the sadistic fox-wolf that sold his parents into slavery and murders underlings for being a nuisance.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#13 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Damn it Brutus. Use your brain for once and Run! Before it is too late

I think it has been suggested, I do not remember where i read it, that one way from him to go is not six feet under but as sex slave in some far off land stuck in his female form for the rest of his life.
In any case we have Trace, probably Dark|Trace and detritus around. There are no shortages of ways from him to suffer a horrible end, maybe a necromancy experiment for the rest of his undeath? who knows?

Anyhow there are just a couple ways I imagine this will continue
  1. Mr Bell is right and Clovis kill Brutus in a somewhat gentle way
  • Mr Bell is still right but he manages to escape. Eventually he comes back and kills Clovis making his namesake proud
  • Clovis turns Brutus female, I will let you imagination fill the rest
  • We change our focus to some other character and we do not get to know if Clovis killed brutus until mid may
Cosmacelf wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:48 am -snip-
Yes, I think you do! I like my interpretation better since it tickles my romance bone. Or as Dolores Abernathy would say "Some people choose to see the ugliness in this world. The disarray. I choose to see the beauty."
Now that you mention it. If Clovis feeling, romantic or otherwise, that means he is not a psychopath. He is still a colossal piece of [censored] but we know he is at least "capable" of emotion. I think that makes him more interesting as it makes him a bit more human? For a lack of a better word
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

ibneko

#14 Post by ibneko »

I must say, I really love the wide range of facial expressions on this page.

Sky Shatter
Citizen

#15 Post by Sky Shatter »

Lot of doomsaying theories with what Clovis meant, but I'm pretty sure the thing being conveyed is he just doesn't have a clue how to interpret feelings of strong affection. He's trying to describe the symptoms in familiar terms to Brutus because the concept of love for someone else is something Clovis is averse to even registering.