Comic for January 2, 2021: Cow and Roast Chicken

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

Re: Comic for January 2, 2021: Cow and Roast Chicken

#46 Post by aitaituo »

Been a while, but didn't TDM strongly imply Clovis was a serial sex offender before Nora punished him? IIRC, that was the main reason for the gender swap treatment. Cruel and ironic.

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#47 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Bellhead wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:49 am
Eclipse wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:01 am So I read TDM, and I really don't see the same sense of brutality there either. He subtly threatened Zen and Natani if they didn't go through with the mission, but we never saw anything that explicitly demonstrated any form of cruelty until this page.
Explicitly, no. But I'd also say that it's not needed, given that Nat and Zen were both in the guild under him. I just skimmed my copy of it, and the most we see of him is his entrance with the briefing, fighting in Nat's head for control, and his fear and anger at Nora.
The most notable bit, I think, is on page 23, when he's in his office musing over his plans right before he starts fighting with Natani for control. It's there that he outright says to himself that he wasn't just going to threaten to have Natani thrown to his men to be gang-raped if they failed, but fully intends to do it anyway even after they succeed. Unless, of course, he decides to just take Nat as a sex slave instead. It's not quite as flashy as personally BBQing a disobedient minion, but I'd argue that this not only qualifies as 'cruel', but actually is more cruel in a way than what he did to Roan. With Roan, at least there's the excuse of disobedience in the code of criminal organizations to try to justify the cruelty. With his intentions towards Natani, there's no excuse at all - it's pure unjustified self-centered spiteful cruelty, with no justification other than that he simply hates women. Roan was an underling who'd bungled a mission through disobedience. Natani and Zen were underlings who were currently succeeding in an important mission to steal an incredibly valuable item for him and who had not yet (at the time he was talking) disobeyed him or given him the reasons to hate them that he later had. He simply decided that he wanted to see them suffer on a whim. Any value they might have had as people or to his guild was meaningless next to his desire for personal pleasure and need to inflict pain.

It's not as blatant as what he did to Roan, of course. It was a briefly stated aside that was quickly passed over as the plot rushed on, rather than a big 'wham' moment that everyone gets to dwell on until the next page comes out, and it of course also didn't end up actually happening. But it's at least as big of a window into the sort of horrible cruel person he is, IMO.

stlsf4003
Apprentice

#48 Post by stlsf4003 »

Eclipse wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:01 am So I read TDM, and I really don't see the same sense of brutality there either. He subtly threatened Zen and Natani if they didn't go through with the mission, but we never saw anything that explicitly demonstrated any form of cruelty until this page.
Explicitly, no. But I'd also say that it's not needed, given that Nat and Zen were both in the guild under him. I just skimmed my copy of it, and the most we see of him is his entrance with the briefing, fighting in Nat's head for control, and his fear and anger at Nora. The first is purely control-based; he's calm because he knows he is in complete control and neither of them have any way to stop him. He was quite willing to remind them of that, too. As for the fight with Nat, it was quite clear that he didn't want to lose control, in any way, shape or form, and was willing to show his true nature to achieve that end. These two show us his willingness to resort to violent/oppressive means when his interests are threatened.

But what caught my eye moreso, especially with this most recent page, was the third state we saw him in, where Nora had him nearly paralyzed with fear and hatred, and a desire for revenge that he had no way of taking until now. So just imagine what he went through for (presumably) several years of self-imposed near-isolation due to his transformation, all the while blaming Nat, Zen and Nora for his state. He made no effort to accept himself, likely due to his entrenched beliefs on women from before the incident, and instead let his hatred build over all that time.

Now combine that pent-up hatred, his prior aggression, his lack of self-control when his interests are threatened, and the lifting of the curse that kept him in check all that time.. and you just might get yourself a megalomaniac that kills anyone who happens to tick him off at the time. Brutality follows suit pretty darn quick at that point.
So basically we're dealing with a guy who's been holding back a good few years worth of anger and rage and now has a magically charged amulet in his possession?

Yep....the gloves are coming off now.
the lurking furry railroader

detrius
Citizen

#49 Post by detrius »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:33 am
Explicitly, no. But I'd also say that it's not needed, given that Nat and Zen were both in the guild under him. I just skimmed my copy of it, and the most we see of him is his entrance with the briefing, fighting in Nat's head for control, and his fear and anger at Nora.
The most notable bit, I think, is on page 23, when he's in his office musing over his plans right before he starts fighting with Natani for control. It's there that he outright says to himself that he wasn't just going to threaten to have Natani thrown to his men to be gang-raped if they failed, but fully intends to do it anyway even after they succeed. Unless, of course, he decides to just take Nat as a sex slave instead. It's not quite as flashy as personally BBQing a disobedient minion, but I'd argue that this not only qualifies as 'cruel', but actually is more cruel in a way than what he did to Roan. With Roan, at least there's the excuse of disobedience in the code of criminal organizations to try to justify the cruelty. With his intentions towards Natani, there's no excuse at all - it's pure unjustified self-centered spiteful cruelty, with no justification other than that he simply hates women. Roan was an underling who'd bungled a mission through disobedience. Natani and Zen were underlings who were currently succeeding in an important mission to steal an incredibly valuable item for him and who had not yet (at the time he was talking) disobeyed him or given him the reasons to hate them that he later had. He simply decided that he wanted to see them suffer on a whim. Any value they might have had as people or to his guild was meaningless next to his desire for personal pleasure and need to inflict pain.

It's not as blatant as what he did to Roan, of course. It was a briefly stated aside that was quickly passed over as the plot rushed on, rather than a big 'wham' moment that everyone gets to dwell on until the next page comes out, and it of course also didn't end up actually happening. But it's at least as big of a window into the sort of horrible cruel person he is, IMO.
I suppose Roan was lucky to get the Ozzel treatment.

Chicken Man
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: The pizza

#50 Post by Chicken Man »

Well if I know anything about being a chicken, and I don't, being some silly character invented for this forum:

It's better to have clucked and died than never to have lived at all... as a chicken...

I'll let myself out.
:|
I'll cross the road and cluck with you.