Comic for January 2, 2021: Cow and Roast Chicken

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

stlsf4003
Apprentice

Re: Comic for January 2, 2021: Cow and Roast Chicken

#31 Post by stlsf4003 »

Shadow lurker wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:53 pm
Eclipse wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:22 pm I think part of this is that not all of us have read TDM. I haven't, as I haven't had the money to spare to support Tom's Patreon. So for some of us, all we really know is the sketches and they've gone heavy on the Clovis x Brutus shipping. This is his first major role in the main comics.
Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't TDM been free on Tom's patreon for the good part of a year now?
Indeed it has.
the lurking furry railroader

Warrl
Grand Templar

#32 Post by Warrl »

Dadrobit wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:15 am Holy hot damn, did Tom actually kill off a character? Granted Roan is/was? a suuuuuper minor character, but my goodness has it been a while!
At least the third named character to die. I don't remember if Keith's parents were named. There were a few unnamed characters killed in the general vicinity of the tower battle on Basitin Island (where, also, two named Basitin generals died).

Elemental Templar
Merchant

#33 Post by Elemental Templar »

Eclipse wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:22 pm I think part of this is that not all of us have read TDM. I haven't, as I haven't had the money to spare to support Tom's Patreon. So for some of us, all we really know is the sketches and they've gone heavy on the Clovis x Brutus shipping. This is his first major role in the main comics.
Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't TDM been free on Tom's patreon for the good part of a year now?
Speaking as a Patron on the Twokinds Patreon, it has been free for a while but it was initially only available for those who donated $10 per month or more (at least I think it was since that is the tier I've been donating for the last few years)

Furthermore, in regards to the Clovis' actions here and from The Dragon Masquerade, he's the head of Crime Syndicate. Wiling and able to throw his wealth, influence, and if need be death threats to get what he wants, and adding magic into the equation (being a fantasy world) it only builds his ego even more.
But going by IRL organizations (Mafia, Cartels, Yakuza) there's a status-quo to be kept among the members of the "family" and the "made-men" alike:

Do what ever the boss tells you and you're set, defy him and/or think you know best and you end up dead

Not saying that it justifies his actions though, all I'm saying is he's the type of person who doesn't hesitate. Unless he knows for certain he's absolutely boned, like in TDM with his encounter with Nora.

But to his knowledge: The former grand Templar is a weakened & amnesiac dolt, all the other guests are seemingly trapped and/or incapacitated be the manors defenses, he's allied with the templar and they've been nothing but beneficial in providing him resources, he has some of his best men currently combing the mansion and killing any potential witnesses, and the formerly incarcerated wolves from the wolf-pens are bolstering his ranks.

I think him killing Roan in this chapter is more to show how he's thinks he's on the peak on his "mountain-of-pride" so to speak. Which will only make it all the more satisfying when he eventually falls, likely out of Brutus' loyalty waning as he see's his so-called "friend" devolve into a monster.

Side Note: I now want to a Yakuza Clovis Sketch suggestion for the art streams, let's make this happen!!
"There are Two kinds of people in this world:
Those who wait for change, and those who make changes themselves. Which one are you?" -Anonymous

Rafe
Council Member

#34 Post by Rafe »

Brutus killing his boss at some point certainly seems plausible, given the right circumstances.
It would have to be a situation where Brutus would be forced to admit that Clovis has, or is about to do, something that's obviously very wrong, or at least, something Brutus would probably rather die than see happen.

Brutus seems to be the outgoing and friendly type, and despite being a large wolf, he seems to be very non-threatening, even to the likes of Karen and Maddie, who seemed to get along fine with him while they were in the dungeon (despite Maddie's anxiety over his lack of pants). It may also have been that fear over hurting Maeve might have been a factor in his reluctance to continue fighting in the battle where he was captured. Maybe, like Zen, he also had a little sister that he thinks of, and that makes him especially kind to young females.

I can imagine a situation where Brutus sees Clovis ready to kill some character that is totally innocent, maybe one who's been kind to him, and (maybe without even trying to) stops Clovis, killing him in the process. As usual, we'll see eventually. (If I'm still alive by then, mention you saw it here first.)

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#35 Post by Bellhead »

Rafe wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:22 pm I can imagine a situation where Brutus sees Clovis ready to kill some character that is totally innocent, maybe one who's been kind to him, and (maybe without even trying to) stops Clovis, killing him in the process. As usual, we'll see eventually. (If I'm still alive by then, mention you saw it here first.)
*gasp* Maeve... Where is she? The tavern's apparently been taken over, and Adira's been taken to gods know where, and the people who've been kindest to her, i.e. Trace and Flora, are at the Estate, and she knows it.

Calling it now:
Clovis moves to kill Maeve, Brutus stops him, fight ensues, Brutus kills Clovis (hence his namesake).
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#36 Post by Dadrobit »

Warrl wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:59 pm
Dadrobit wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:15 am Holy hot damn, did Tom actually kill off a character? Granted Roan is/was? a suuuuuper minor character, but my goodness has it been a while!
At least the third named character to die. I don't remember if Keith's parents were named. There were a few unnamed characters killed in the general vicinity of the tower battle on Basitin Island (where, also, two named Basitin generals died).
Yeah, I was more focused on it having been a decade since the last actual witnessed character death. And Keith's parents are Cornelius and Cathleen. :mrgrin:

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#37 Post by Technic[Bot] »

aerion111 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:35 am Yeah, I don't feel this changes much about my view of Clovis. Other than emphasizing that he is willing to kill, but that was sorta implied already.
Roan disobeyed orders and then screwed up.
Until this page, I hadn't caught/remembered that Clovis didn't give a go-ahead on confronting the manor. Launching an early attack like they did could have potentially screwed up Clovis' own plans.
Best case, they'd have been demoted to grunt-work and have to climb the ladder from scratch by showing their loyalty and obedience and all that. You don't get to be a 'loose canon' in a criminal organization.

We've no evidence in either direction as to whether or not Clovis would have rescued Roan and Sam if they'd been caught on an actual mission. If they'd been sent in to get Brutus and then gotten turned into livestock, it's possible Clovis would indeed have grabbed them and had them turned back.
I mean, why not? He'd still do exactly what he did in the comic, storm in himself to 'do it right' and get Brutus (and Zen), and he might as well grab his other men. Clearly he has the ability to turn the cow back into a person, and he didn't say 'I'm not spending such an outrageous amount' as the reason he's not doing it. So it's probably easier and cheaper than training new guys.

But no, what Clovis executed wasn't a loyal follower that failed to overcome unknown and quite impressive magic through no fault of their own.
Roan doesn't follow orders, managed to get caught, and now Clovis discovers that there's not much loyalty or respect either?
People who're genuinely re-evaluating their view of Clovis either forgot who Clovis is, or need to watch more Mafia-based media. I wouldn't even raise an eyebrow at the head of some Yakuza deciding to execute someone like Roan.
Roan'd be nothing but a liability.
I agree i was seeing more in Clovis than what actually was there. More likely i was hoping thre was more to him. And agree that both Roan and Sam are kinda loose canons and are definetely not loyal and they probably needed to be punished in some way, but execution? Not entirely sure, if simply do he did not have to find someone elses to do Roan/Sam job. But for what we have seen none of Clovis men. Except for Brutus are loyal to him. They work for him either for the likely large compensation, because they have no choice or they get off to the same sadistic stuff Clovis does.
That does poses a problem, most of these organization require a minimun of loyalty at least on the higher ranks and some, like the Yakuza, like to pretend they have some weird honor code. Since Clovis, does not care for his men he s unable to procure personell that won't leave him or turn against him at the least provocation. Mercenaries are notorious for switching sides to whenever there is more money. Fortunately Clovis is a comic book villain and so does not need to deal with the real life logistic hurdles of dealing with a real life organization.
Elemental Templar wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:11 pm
Speaking as a Patron on the Twokinds Patreon, it has been free for a while but it was initially only available for those who donated $10 per month or more (at least I think it was since that is the tier I've been donating for the last few years)

Furthermore, in regards to the Clovis' actions here and from The Dragon Masquerade, he's the head of Crime Syndicate. Wiling and able to throw his wealth, influence, and if need be death threats to get what he wants, and adding magic into the equation (being a fantasy world) it only builds his ego even more.
But going by IRL organizations (Mafia, Cartels, Yakuza) there's a status-quo to be kept among the members of the "family" and the "made-men" alike:

Do what ever the boss tells you and you're set, defy him and/or think you know best and you end up dead

Not saying that it justifies his actions though, all I'm saying is he's the type of person who doesn't hesitate. Unless he knows for certain he's absolutely boned, like in TDM with his encounter with Nora.

But to his knowledge: The former grand Templar is a weakened & amnesiac dolt, all the other guests are seemingly trapped and/or incapacitated be the manors defenses, he's allied with the templar and they've been nothing but beneficial in providing him resources, he has some of his best men currently combing the mansion and killing any potential witnesses, and the formerly incarcerated wolves from the wolf-pens are bolstering his ranks.

I think him killing Roan in this chapter is more to show how he's thinks he's on the peak on his "mountain-of-pride" so to speak. Which will only make it all the more satisfying when he eventually falls, likely out of Brutus' loyalty waning as he see's his so-called "friend" devolve into a monster.

Side Note: I now want to a Yakuza Clovis Sketch suggestion for the art streams, let's make this happen!!
I agree right now Clovis is power tripping on his new toy so he will maul and kill anyone in his way for [censored] ans giggles. Basically he is unhinged by know which will make his eventual downfall much more interesting.
Bellhead wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:28 am
Rafe wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:22 pm I can imagine a situation where Brutus sees Clovis ready to kill some character that is totally innocent, maybe one who's been kind to him, and (maybe without even trying to) stops Clovis, killing him in the process. As usual, we'll see eventually. (If I'm still alive by then, mention you saw it here first.)
*gasp* Maeve... Where is she? The tavern's apparently been taken over, and Adira's been taken to gods know where, and the people who've been kindest to her, i.e. Trace and Flora, are at the Estate, and she knows it.

Calling it now:
Clovis moves to kill Maeve, Brutus stops him, fight ensues, Brutus kills Clovis (hence his namesake).
Bonus points if Brutus has a friend named Cassius. I like the roman theme Clovis gang is taking. By the way does anyone know why Tom named Clovis that way? I think it is a character from a book but seems completely unrelated to this {expletive}
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

jacobc62
Grand Templar

#38 Post by jacobc62 »

They were - Cathleen (mother) and Cornelius (father) Keiser. And the dead-named-character list is (from what I can recall) currently at 10ish, 8.5 at lowest........

Prior to the comic's beginning:
Saria Legacy
Cornelius Keiser
Cathleen Keiser
Rose(?)

During the comic's events proper:
Laura of the Coastal Fox Tribe
Roan of the [insert Wolf tribe here] Tribe (as of this page)
Tom (the delivery guy) Twice, apparently?
General Albion Alabaster
General Alaric

There was also the Arms general (the super buff guy who fought Natani and Flora while Keith was fighting Alaric on the bridge), but I don't think he had an actual name..... If he did, I wasn't able to find it. Considering he was named as the "Arms General" though, I'm personally still counting it.
"That poor, sexy [censored]...." -Evals Vaughan, October 2016

Yastreb
Apprentice
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith

#39 Post by Yastreb »

Basically four named characters have died in the comic. Laura (thrice), Nicolai Alaric, Albion Alabaster and now Roan.

Saria and Keith's parents died in the backstory, so they don't count. Rose's character is still alive, even though her case is otherwise ambiguous. Tom was a joke, I don't think we can count him as a real character. "Arms general" is a job title, not a name.

stlsf4003
Apprentice

#40 Post by stlsf4003 »

Yastreb wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:44 pm
Basically four named characters have died in the comic. Laura (thrice), Nicolai Alaric, Albion Alabaster and now Roan.

Saria and Keith's parents died in the backstory, so they don't count. Rose's character is still alive, even though her case is otherwise ambiguous. Tom was a joke, I don't think we can count him as a real character. "Arms general" is a job title, not a name.
Technically speaking Rose has been dead since before the comic started. She just hasn't been able to move on due to her body being anchored to the estate. Pull the "plug" and she's free to cross over.
the lurking furry railroader

Elemental Templar
Merchant

#41 Post by Elemental Templar »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:08 am
Bellhead wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:28 am

Calling it now:
Bonus points if Brutus has a friend named Cassius. I like the roman theme Clovis gang is taking. By the way does anyone know why Tom named Clovis that way? I think it is a character from a book but seems completely unrelated to this {expletive}
I doubt that Maeve will find her way to Estate on her own, unless Tom's got some Insanely Convoluted Idea in the back of his mind. But Brutus killing Clovis would be all the more fitting after this scene; furthermore, I think Clovis is loosely based on Clovis I and Julius Caesar (as indicated by the Greek Nomenclature of his subordinates) With the Notable difference being that he cares only for himself and his greed as opposed to faith and glory.
"There are Two kinds of people in this world:
Those who wait for change, and those who make changes themselves. Which one are you?" -Anonymous

jacobc62
Grand Templar

#42 Post by jacobc62 »

Yastreb wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:44 pmBasically four named characters have died in the comic. Laura (thrice), Nicolai Alaric, Albion Alabaster and now Roan.

I'm still counting Saria's and Keith's Parents' deaths as part of the "named character deaths during the comic" list as we did see the events of how they were killed during the comic (albeit in flashbacks), even though the deaths chronologically took place prior to Trace's awakening at the start of the story. One of Tom's deaths might've been played off as a joke (Meaningless Battle), but seeing as he was a named character that was killed during the comic (giving warning about the wolf attack), I still count him as well.

I will admit that having the Arms General on the list is a bit of a stretch......

..... I still feel like we're missing someone though.
"That poor, sexy [censored]...." -Evals Vaughan, October 2016

Yastreb
Apprentice
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith

#43 Post by Yastreb »

stlsf4003 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:34 pm
Yastreb wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:44 pm

Technically speaking Rose has been dead since before the comic started. She just hasn't been able to move on due to her body being anchored to the estate. Pull the "plug" and she's free to cross over.
I mean she has still been able to interact with others and appear as a character. She is "alive" as far as the story is concerned, and we haven't had to deal with her becoming an ex-character.

Eclipse
Templar Master

#44 Post by Eclipse »

Elemental Templar wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:11 pm

Huh, I didn't know Tom made some of the side comics free, I thought they were meant to be Patreon exclusive.

So I read TDM, and I really don't see the same sense of brutality there either. He subtly threatened Zen and Natani if they didn't go through with the mission, but we never saw anything that explicitly demonstrated any form of cruelty until this page.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#45 Post by Bellhead »

Eclipse wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:01 am So I read TDM, and I really don't see the same sense of brutality there either. He subtly threatened Zen and Natani if they didn't go through with the mission, but we never saw anything that explicitly demonstrated any form of cruelty until this page.
Explicitly, no. But I'd also say that it's not needed, given that Nat and Zen were both in the guild under him. I just skimmed my copy of it, and the most we see of him is his entrance with the briefing, fighting in Nat's head for control, and his fear and anger at Nora. The first is purely control-based; he's calm because he knows he is in complete control and neither of them have any way to stop him. He was quite willing to remind them of that, too. As for the fight with Nat, it was quite clear that he didn't want to lose control, in any way, shape or form, and was willing to show his true nature to achieve that end. These two show us his willingness to resort to violent/oppressive means when his interests are threatened.

But what caught my eye moreso, especially with this most recent page, was the third state we saw him in, where Nora had him nearly paralyzed with fear and hatred, and a desire for revenge that he had no way of taking until now. So just imagine what he went through for (presumably) several years of self-imposed near-isolation due to his transformation, all the while blaming Nat, Zen and Nora for his state. He made no effort to accept himself, likely due to his entrenched beliefs on women from before the incident, and instead let his hatred build over all that time.

Now combine that pent-up hatred, his prior aggression, his lack of self-control when his interests are threatened, and the lifting of the curse that kept him in check all that time.. and you just might get yourself a megalomaniac that kills anyone who happens to tick him off at the time. Brutality follows suit pretty darn quick at that point.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.