Comic for December 31, 2020: Dungeon Wolves

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Rafe
Council Member

Comic for December 31, 2020: Dungeon Wolves

#1 Post by Rafe »

Well, some more insight into Clovis' relationship to his wolf minions.
Kind of what you'd expect. They don't really trust or respect him, they're probably just there for whatever swag they can get.

And it was never really expressed that Clovis was so consumed by "that weird vendetta against those two assasins". Maybe it was the humiliating spell he received as a result that has him so consumed with revenge. He's otherwise more of a rational, calculating villian.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Re: Comic for December 31, 2020: Dungeon Wolves

#2 Post by Bellhead »

"Tell me how you really feel." In practice for generations, and still works to this day.

So apparently Clovis either shared absolutely NO time with anyone other than Brutus, which I could absolutely see, or he steeled himself away due to the curse and blamed Nat and Zen for his gender-swapped state. I suppose it's also possible he was intentionally hiding his feelings and actively shunning any emotion he viewed as "feminine", such as showing compassion for underlings in need, or holding a conversation that wasn't related to thieving, plotting or scheming.

I'd definitely wager that his demeanor over the last.. several years now? has been very secretive. Especially with what Natani said here, it seems that he was rather.. spirited, in his actions back then. If the people under him haven't been near him that long, there's a chance he has a side that he's not letting them see, and not letting himself show. If that's the case, he'd probably let that side show at least a little, with his current male appearance, but that's still a long shot. More than likely, "Prince Of Greed" will be the best way to describe him, now and always, and he was just quieter about his "hobbies" than before the events of TDM. I highly doubt that would have changed the Greed portion of him, but it would definitely thicken the layers of sexism and cynicism, and add in a layer of paranoia and vengeance. I don't see how it couldn't, given his character.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Hayate
The Hidden User

#3 Post by Hayate »

Welp, I bet I can guess who doesn’t get their cell unlocked now xD
~Hayate~
--Moderator/Global Moderator
--

--Forum Rules--
--Moderators --
--Administrators
--

SangheiliSpecOp
Traveler

#4 Post by SangheiliSpecOp »

Hayate wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:24 am Welp, I bet I can guess who doesn’t get their cell unlocked now xD
Or worse...

Eclipse
Templar Master

#5 Post by Eclipse »

Bellhead wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:16 am "Tell me how you really feel." In practice for generations, and still works to this day.

So apparently Clovis either shared absolutely NO time with anyone other than Brutus, which I could absolutely see, or he steeled himself away due to the curse and blamed Nat and Zen for his gender-swapped state. I suppose it's also possible he was intentionally hiding his feelings and actively shunning any emotion he viewed as "feminine", such as showing compassion for underlings in need, or holding a conversation that wasn't related to thieving, plotting or scheming.

I'd definitely wager that his demeanor over the last.. several years now? has been very secretive. Especially with what Natani said here, it seems that he was rather.. spirited, in his actions back then. If the people under him haven't been near him that long, there's a chance he has a side that he's not letting them see, and not letting himself show. If that's the case, he'd probably let that side show at least a little, with his current male appearance, but that's still a long shot. More than likely, "Prince Of Greed" will be the best way to describe him, now and always, and he was just quieter about his "hobbies" than before the events of TDM. I highly doubt that would have changed the Greed portion of him, but it would definitely thicken the layers of sexism and cynicism, and add in a layer of paranoia and vengeance. I don't see how it couldn't, given his character.
This actually makes a lot of sense. He probably does associate his care for his men with his femininity and tries to avoid confrontation to hide it, society typically conditions men to associate emotions with women even in our world and wants us all to be stoic hardasses. He's probably putting up a front in what little time he does spend around his men to make them think he's still the same greedy, manipulative [censored] he's always been, and it doesn't seem to be working.

I actually think despite his vendetta, he might end up becoming friends with Natani eventually. The two of them have actually gone through something somewhat similar and Natani could probably convince him to accept his feminine side. Natani's starting to realize that being feminine doesn't prevent him from being strong, Clovis could similarly eventually realize that being feminine doesn't prevent him from being a manipulative [censored] (in fact he could actually become even more so if he learns how to flaunt his assets).

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#6 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Bellhead wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:16 am "Tell me how you really feel." In practice for generations, and still works to this day.

I think that this page purpose is to show that Clovis really does not care for anyone but himself, Brutus, that most likely is a by product of his curse and vengeance. Which is a very sad existence when you think about it. I do hope this is not the case as I mentioned some time before evil for evil sake villains can be fun in the short time but are one note and cartoonish at best or boring in the long run. However if Tom needed a character to die during this chapter a un-edeemable villain like Clovis fits the bill. In fact If turns out Clovis is an evil sociopath simply because Tom needed and antagonist for chapter 20 i would prefer he does not keep him around after that since is not a particularly interesting character type...

Or I could have missed the point entirely and maybe this strip is meant to showcase that despite Clovis being an [censored] for most of the time he does care about his men, at least some of them, in his own weird way. And now that he is tripping higher than the sun on his new magical amulet back to his original form, he is more comfortable helping them. If Tom intent is to have him around for more time and give him a proper character besides: "Prince of Greed" (wonder who would be the king?) we could see him having a change of heart. Like maybe seeing his men getting slaughtered by a combination of the Manor defenses, group A/B, shadow!trace Detritus and Dark Trace makes him realize he cares for them more than he is willing to admit,specially the goodest boy Brutus . That there is something else in the world besides himself that he cares for and for the first time of his life tries doing something that does not benefit him directly, defending his men.
Hayate wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:24 am Welp, I bet I can guess who doesn’t get their cell unlocked now xD
I hope Roan survives, I kinda like the guy.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Eclipse
Templar Master

#7 Post by Eclipse »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:37 pm

I think that this page purpose is to show that Clovis really does not care for anyone but himself, Brutus, that most likely is a by product of his curse and vengeance. Which is a very sad existence when you think about it. I do hope this is not the case as I mentioned some time before evil for evil sake villains can be fun in the short time but are one note and cartoonish at best or boring in the long run. However if Tom needed a character to die during this chapter a un-edeemable villain like Clovis fits the bill. In fact If turns out Clovis is an evil sociopath simply because Tom needed and antagonist for chapter 20 i would prefer he does not keep him around after that since is not a particularly interesting character type...

Or I could have missed the point entirely and maybe this strip is meant to showcase that despite Clovis being an [censored] for most of the time he does care about his men, at least some of them, in his own weird way. And now that he is tripping higher than the sun on his new magical amulet back to his original form, he is more comfortable helping them. If Tom intent is to have him around for more time and give him a proper character besides: "Prince of Greed" (wonder who would be the king?) we could see him having a change of heart. Like maybe seeing his men getting slaughtered by a combination of the Manor defenses, group A/B, shadow!trace Detritus and Dark Trace makes him realize he cares for them more than he is willing to admit,specially the goodest boy Brutus . That there is something else in the world besides himself that he cares for and for the first time of his life tries doing something that does not benefit him directly, defending his men.
I think it's more the latter and Clovis' comment is more playful teasing than a serious threat of consequences. For most of the page, Brutus and Roan were arguing about whether or not Clovis would show up to save them and Roan was convinced he wouldn't. Clovis' very appearance in the last panel settles the argument and proves Roan wrong. I don't think Clovis is going to punish Roan for saying that. Not severely anyway to the point where he would let Roan die or rot in the cell.

steelabjur
Council Member

#8 Post by steelabjur »

Exactly my thought. He's going to spring Brutus and start to leave with him, causing Roan to ask "What about me?" To which Clovis is going to respond with something like, "Oh, this 'pompous prick' wouldn't want to risk his 'powdered [censored]' for you, I came all the way here to collect my 'favorite tool'. Come along, tool!... I mean you, Brutus."

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#9 Post by Bellhead »

steelabjur wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:32 am
Exactly my thought. He's going to spring Brutus and start to leave with him, causing Roan to ask "What about me?" To which Clovis is going to respond with something like, "Oh, this 'pompous prick' wouldn't want to risk his 'powdered [censored]' for you, I came all the way here to collect my 'favorite tool'. Come along, tool!... I mean you, Brutus."
Sad part is, that would definitely be in his character to do that. Though, in that same vein, he might decide to free him so he couldn't reveal any secrets or the like to any of his enemies at the estate.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#10 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Bellhead wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:48 am
steelabjur wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:32 am
Sad part is, that would definitely be in his character to do that. Though, in that same vein, he might decide to free him so he couldn't reveal any secrets or the like to any of his enemies at the estate.
Well if he really has no use for him and he just wants to get rid of loose ends it may be simpler to leave him to die in the aftermath of the mansion. Or kill Roan himself just to be sure.

Or you know he may just taunt Roan to leave him rotting there, then come back open the cell and kill him as he leaves, just for the fun of it...

Poor Roan we knew him for so little...

You know whatever he does to him is gonna be a clear indicator of his real personality and whether he cares for anyone else than Brutus at all.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Rafe
Council Member

#11 Post by Rafe »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:21 am ...Well if he really has no use for him and he just wants to get rid of loose ends it may be simpler to leave him to die in the aftermath of the mansion. Or kill Roan himself just to be sure.

Or you know he may just taunt Roan to leave him rotting there, then come back open the cell and kill him as he leaves, just for the fun of it...

Poor Roan we knew him for so little...

You know whatever he does to him is gonna be a clear indicator of his real personality and whether he cares for anyone else than Brutus at all
I see a scene with Clovis and Brutus returned to Clovis' headquarters:

BRUTUS:
Gee Boss, maybe it's because I was so hungry, but that food was great. I don't think I've ever known chicken to taste so good.

CLOVIS:
Hah, funny you should mention knowing this chicken...