Moderator: Moderators

Tetrahedron
Merchant

Comic for November 30, 2020: Simulation Ended

#1 Post by Tetrahedron »

Waggy waggy Raine.

Get used to it, red.
You like, what you see, admit it.

And Red, why don't you have a single hair on your body?

SpottedKitty
Templar GrandMaster

Re: Comic for November 30, 2020: Simulation Ended

#2 Post by SpottedKitty »

Heh — had to laugh at Mike and Evals doing a toon-style peeking out from behind the pillar.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#3 Post by tony1695 »

I do wonder, if there's no magic being directed to the beach room anymore (punching through the sun/moon seems to be what disrupted it), does that mean the rest of the manor's defence systems are getting more juice? This might be enough to compensate for Detritus trying to go through with the ritual. Certainly not enough to get through Clovis's amulet, but probably (hopefully) enough to fry Remus and Romulus.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

SpottedKitty
Templar GrandMaster

#4 Post by SpottedKitty »

tony1695 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:30 pm Certainly not enough to get through Clovis's amulet, but probably (hopefully) enough to fry Remus and Romulus.
Or at least consign them to a... fowl fate? :twisted:

Sorry, (im)moral imperative, had to be done!
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#5 Post by aitaituo »

How did Karen know they were illusions?

Tetrahedron
Merchant

#6 Post by Tetrahedron »

aitaituo wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:29 pm How did Karen know they were illusions?
Wait, you are right...

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#7 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Tetrahedron wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:35 pm
aitaituo wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:29 pm How did Karen know they were illusions?
Wait, you are right...
She knows because she almost got killed by one earlier (and she calls it an illusion a couple pages later, so she definitely realized what had happened). She didn't necessarily know that the guardians *specifically* were illusions, but she didn't say that - she just said 'the room was using illusions against us', which is definitely true and matches what she had seen and experienced earlier.

Elemental Templar
Merchant

#8 Post by Elemental Templar »

Am I the only one who thought it would've been funnier if Tom named this page "Simulation Terminated"?

A la Monsters Inc.
"There are Two kinds of people in this world:
Those who wait for change, and those who make changes themselves. Which one are you?" -Anonymous

TheMasterOfOats
Apprentice
Fav. Twokinds Character: Florence Ambrose

#9 Post by TheMasterOfOats »

May I be the first to say,

What the frick? I was so hyped for the room caving in or some final battle yet to come but it was all over... so fast... it was a good page though.

Looking at the hole Red made, however. It seemed as if he had been taking a lot of cracks at breaking it, but the hole in the wall seemed scarcely bigger than him (height wise). So that would assume (if I’m right and he has been working on it) that whatever he was doing wasn’t great, judging by the fact that Natani’s omega-cheek-clapper of a spell (technically) was several orders of magnitude more powerful than his (on the illusion wall), and he is therefore a seriously weak-sauce Templar. It would explain why it did little to nothing against Carvers bubble wand (I’m only ever calling it that from now on). One could argue that the bubble wand was just too powerful, but Zen/Raines magic suppressor was just good enough to break through. So.... yeah ima go to bed now.

You’re welcome.
Mr. The master of Oats, master of Oats Canada and Canada Oats, in Oats, Canada.

steelabjur
Council Member

#10 Post by steelabjur »

TheMasterOfOats wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:29 am May I be the first to say,

What the frick? I was so hyped for the room caving in or some final battle yet to come but it was all over... so fast... it was a good page though.

Looking at the hole Red made, however. It seemed as if he had been taking a lot of cracks at breaking it, but the hole in the wall seemed scarcely bigger than him (height wise). So that would assume (if I’m right and he has been working on it) that whatever he was doing wasn’t great, judging by the fact that Natani’s omega-cheek-clapper of a spell (technically) was several orders of magnitude more powerful than his (on the illusion wall), and he is therefore a seriously weak-sauce Templar. It would explain why it did little to nothing against Carvers bubble wand (I’m only ever calling it that from now on). One could argue that the bubble wand was just too powerful, but Zen/Raines magic suppressor was just good enough to break through. So.... yeah ima go to bed now.
Maybe you should, because you're talking nonsense. Combined, as they were hitting the same spot, they blew a man-sized hole in the wall and a sizable hole in the door beyond (and who knows how much damage beyond that we can't see), they weren't attacking different wall areas. Also Red was never a Templar, he washed out during training. Due to his incomplete training (and general lack of aptitude to improve), his magical ability is limited to "blowing stuff up" (he made a pretty big hole in the wall of an inn previously, during the arc where they had pizza with Sythe).

Also, called it on the walls being cloaked in illusion and hiding how much damage was being caused.

TheMasterOfOats
Apprentice
Fav. Twokinds Character: Florence Ambrose

#11 Post by TheMasterOfOats »

steelabjur wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:10 pm

Maybe you should, because you're talking nonsense. Combined, as they were hitting the same spot, they blew a man-sized hole in the wall and a sizable hole in the door beyond (and who knows how much damage beyond that we can't see), they weren't attacking different wall areas. Also Red was never a Templar, he washed out during training. Due to his incomplete training (and general lack of aptitude to improve), his magical ability is limited to "blowing stuff up" (he made a pretty big hole in the wall of an inn previously, during the arc where they had pizza with Sythe).
That wall isn’t more than 6 inches thick judging by things around it. That’s a liberal estimate in my opinion. It’s probably made of concrete or the twokinds equivalent, judging by no cracks and the fact it seems smooth. It’s also a consistent colour, so probably no paint. Concrete pavers in real life can break if they’re dropped too hard, or even if small things are dropped on them (trust me it’s happened to me). That’s by a 2 inch paver. The wall was also under a lot of compressive stress, if not from the roof but just the sheer weight of the wall above it (about 3-4x the material). The sum of stress would reduce (if only slightly) the required stress to get through the wall. A small tank round could do a considerable number on the wall, but this is magic we’re talking about. Putting a hole in the wall in the hotel thing way back was a small explosion, easily clearing away the Sheetrock and wood in the wall. Part of that being effective is that the wall there had air behind it and allowed it to bend. The wall in the manor should be tough enough to disperse an explosion over the area of the wall and walked out with minor scorching. A shot like the one Nagano gave the wall was more concentrated judging by the debris spray from the lizards.

All I’m saying is that I don’t think Red did all that much damage, because the attack he was using wasn’t suitable. A concentrated blast like Natani’s is probably more penetrative and is more likely to do that degree of damage. Just putting it out there, Red’s a wuss.

You’re welcome.
Mr. The master of Oats, master of Oats Canada and Canada Oats, in Oats, Canada.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#12 Post by Technic[Bot] »

I do believe the scene was a bit anti-climatic but it kinda makes sense. That room was likely build for leisure it was not a dungeon nor a defensive structure like a tower so it makes sense it did not had that many ways to eliminate intruders not much reinforcement. And had to make do with what it has illusions.

That being said if I were making and evil lair and added a holographic room for entretaining my guests i would make sure it could take a beating, parties sometimes get wild you know. And a way to easily and effectively dispose of any unwanted occupants

And yes Red flunked out of Templar academy so I wouldn't consider him the top mage in the group. However since the room had no other support structures, the roof was held mainly by a truss, the bottom of the walls were probably very thick to support the whole room.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Rafe
Council Member

#13 Post by Rafe »

I find it a little strange that everyone commenting here seems to have completely concentrated on the Oasis Room here, while there are potentially very tragic things going on at this same moment. This mght be a semi-humourous distraction going on, but I get this feeling that the other shoe is going to drop soon, and something bad (maybe very bad) is going to be revealed.

What happened to Sythe wasn't a simulation. What if in the next scene we find Mrs. Nibbly next to Sythe's lifeless body? Who else might be killed because they just happen to get in the way of Clovis and his friends? At least at the moment, other than Zen, it doesn't look like they'd think twice about killing anyone else. They might avoid Trace and Flora because they could cause more trouble, but say, Kat? They'd kill her in an instant.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#14 Post by Technic[Bot] »

I do believe we are likely to shift perspectives for the next pages. maybe go back to the greenhouse, or find out if Scythe will make it. Or finally find out where Kat/zen/Eric are.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Esn
New Citizen

#15 Post by Esn »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:53 pmOr finally find out where Kat/zen/Eric are.
Not to mention Lynn, who hasn't been seen AT ALL since the evening they arrived at the mansion. It's probably worth noting that Lynn seems to be a better spy than Maddie (he evaded notice on Eric's ship longer than Maddie did, and only finally appeared by choice).

There are also a few characters watching the events from outside the mansion. Maeve, very likely Euchre, and also Sealeen and Landen: https://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/978/