Comic for November 11th, 2020: A Way Out

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: When in doubt, Nibbly!

Comic for November 11th, 2020: A Way Out

#1 Post by CrRAR »

Well this seems to be escalating quickly. Good eye there Raine, ah yes, shooting stars are supposed to move. Astute abilities of observation. Go Reni, gogogo. :reni:

Twitter Image:
(click for large)
:natani:╯ ︵┻━┻
Fight the power!

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

Re: Comic for November 11th, 2020: A Way Out

#2 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Hmmmm... this could get tricky. That's a possible way out, but how are they supposed to get to it? The manor is blocking Natani from teleporting and I don't think we've seen a fly or hover type spell, and absent that sort of thing Reni is the only one who can get up there. So even if the first panel of the next comic is an exterior shot of the mansion showing Reni blasting her way out a big hole in the roof, how is everyone *else* going to get out?

Reni doesn't have her saddlebags, and there'd likely be too many people for her to lift that way even if she had them. If she's stuck carrying people out one or two at a time in her claws, there's eight people in the Oasis room needing transport - Natani, Keith, Red, Raine, Mike, Evals, Karen, and Maddie. And a lot of the golems seem to have been focusing on Reni - if she's busy ferrying people, can Natani really hold off *all* of them (especially if he's already feeling the effects of mana burn) long enough for Reni to get everyone out? This whole 'tenuous possibility of escape but not everyone can get out at the same time' thing seems like a very ominous setup, narratively speaking. Of course, this whole chapter is just chock full of narratively ominous things in general, so that's par for the course I guess!

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#3 Post by aitaituo »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:54 am Hmmmm... this could get tricky. That's a possible way out, but how are they supposed to get to it? The manor is blocking Natani from teleporting and I don't think we've seen a fly or hover type spell, and absent that sort of thing Reni is the only one who can get up there. So even if the first panel of the next comic is an exterior shot of the mansion showing Reni blasting her way out a big hole in the roof, how is everyone *else* going to get out?

Reni doesn't have her saddlebags, and there'd likely be too many people for her to lift that way even if she had them. If she's stuck carrying people out one or two at a time in her claws, there's eight people in the Oasis room needing transport - Natani, Keith, Red, Raine, Mike, Evals, Karen, and Maddie. And a lot of the golems seem to have been focusing on Reni - if she's busy ferrying people, can Natani really hold off *all* of them (especially if he's already feeling the effects of mana burn) long enough for Reni to get everyone out? This whole 'tenuous possibility of escape but not everyone can get out at the same time' thing seems like a very ominous setup, narratively speaking. Of course, this whole chapter is just chock full of narratively ominous things in general, so that's par for the course I guess!
Don't forget that if Red is left with a Keith or a keidran, he'll eat them. If Maddie is left with Karen, she'll die of embarrassment. If Mike is left with Keith, he'll be turned into a girl. I'm not good enough at these sorts of things to figure it out, but I think it'll be more than four trips across the river!

Rafe
Council Member

#4 Post by Rafe »

One would hope that the hole could be broken through larger, but who knows? Reni may be able to reach it, but not to get through, even after transforming herself into something smaller.
There is one among them who might make it through to get help: Mrs. Nibbly!

She was, after all, willing to risk her life fighting Carter, and along with Zen, saved Group B's collective lives.
But the crucial question is, would she be able to do it if it involved being taken up to the opening by a dragon?

I only hope that if she makes it out, she doesn't find what's left of Sythe in the hallway upstairs.
(Then again, if she does, I can see some horrible vengenge taken on a certain wolf by a very underestimated squirrel.)

SpottedKitty
Templar GrandMaster

#5 Post by SpottedKitty »

aitaituo wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:01 am Don't forget that if Red is left with a Keith or a keidran, he'll eat them. If Maddie is left with Karen, she'll die of embarrassment. If Mike is left with Keith, he'll be turned into a girl. I'm not good enough at these sorts of things to figure it out, but I think it'll be more than four trips across the river!
I hope you realise there's no way this can work — we don't have a chicken any more. :twisted:

(Did we ever find out what the other wolf got turned into?)
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#6 Post by Bellhead »

No, I don't think we did.

I guess you all were right about the ceiling being the weak point, but there is still the question of how anyone but Reni would reach it. Good eye, Raine.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#7 Post by tony1695 »

So, the escape route is accessible to only a single member of the party, or so it seems. Hard to imagine how they can really turn this to their advantage, unless the plan is to use chunks of the ceiling to flatten the golems. And while we don't know how thick the ceiling is, I doubt any pieces Reni can dislodge will really be capable of incapacitating the golems for any useful duration.
Rafe wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:50 am There is one among them who might make it through to get help: Mrs. Nibbly!
Is Nibbly still in the room? I wouldn't be surprised if she tailed Sythe when he left with Maren earlier. Just an excuse to get away from the dragon...
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#8 Post by Technic[Bot] »

So they now have a way out. But no way to reach it. She might need several trips to cross everyone over.
Maybe we are about to see some heroic sacrifice?
SpottedKitty wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:35 am
(Did we ever find out what the other wolf got turned into?)
Well considering brutus was about to eat one of them who is to say he did not get to the other before the spell broke
tony1695 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:38 am So, the escape route is accessible to only a single member of the party, or so it seems. Hard to imagine how they can really turn this to their advantage, unless the plan is to use chunks of the ceiling to flatten the golems. And while we don't know how thick the ceiling is, I doubt any pieces Reni can dislodge will really be capable of incapacitating the golems for any useful duration.
Rafe wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:50 am There is one among them who might make it through to get help: Mrs. Nibbly!
Is Nibbly still in the room? I wouldn't be surprised if she tailed Sythe when he left with Maren earlier. Just an excuse to get away from the dragon...
I imagine she left earlier. She has been hinted to be more than a squirrel for a while now. So if it turns out she is indeed some eldritch abomination it would be a good moment for her to swoop in and "save" them.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Yastreb
Apprentice
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith

#9 Post by Yastreb »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:54 am Hmmmm... this could get tricky. That's a possible way out, but how are they supposed to get to it? The manor is blocking Natani from teleporting and I don't think we've seen a fly or hover type spell, and absent that sort of thing Reni is the only one who can get up there. So even if the first panel of the next comic is an exterior shot of the mansion showing Reni blasting her way out a big hole in the roof, how is everyone *else* going to get out?

Actually, Trace made Flora levitate on the page 187. Too bad Natani is getting mana burned, Raine will probably have to try to fly them out. Let's hope she doesn't accidentally launch them to escape velocity. :grin:

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#10 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Yastreb wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:12 pm

Actually, Trace made Flora levitate on the page 187. Too bad Natani is getting mana burned, Raine will probably have to try to fly them out. Let's hope she doesn't accidentally launch them to escape velocity. :grin:
Oh that makes sense, Reni punches a hole in the Roof and Raine teleports everyone to safety. And it is quite a simple and effective plan to be honest
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#11 Post by Bellhead »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:19 am Oh that makes sense, Reni punches a hole in the Roof and Raine teleports everyone to safety. And it is quite a simple and effective plan to be honest
Except Raine has literally no magical training whatsoever. There's a chance Reni could do it from up there, given that she's a dragon, but I doubt if she has that kind of skill at this point in her life. Natani probably could, if he set a waypoint somewhere, but there is a lot of people down there, and he's getting pretty burnt out. Red might know how, but he's about as capable as a stick of dynamite.

There's also the chance that Reni could somehow stop what's happening from the outside.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#12 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Bellhead wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:03 pm
Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:19 am Oh that makes sense, Reni punches a hole in the Roof and Raine teleports everyone to safety. And it is quite a simple and effective plan to be honest
Except Raine has literally no magical training whatsoever. There's a chance Reni could do it from up there, given that she's a dragon, but I doubt if she has that kind of skill at this point in her life. Natani probably could, if he set a waypoint somewhere, but there is a lot of people down there, and he's getting pretty burnt out. Red might know how, but he's about as capable as a stick of dynamite.

There's also the chance that Reni could somehow stop what's happening from the outside.
She has teleport them before so there is precedent. She also teleported Carter to the other half of the work when she really put her shoulder into it. I am confident that such a distance with line of sight and some concentration she can pull it off. Even if not all of them she can pick a few and let Reni carry the rest. Of course that depend if she manages to trust herself for more than 20 seconds straight.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#13 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:19 pm
Bellhead wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:03 pm

She has teleport them before so there is precedent. She also teleported Carter to the other half of the work when she really put her shoulder into it. I am confident that such a distance with line of sight and some concentration she can pull it off. Even if not all of them she can pick a few and let Reni carry the rest. Of course that depend if she manages to trust herself for more than 20 seconds straight.
Keep in mind that teleportation is being blocked - Natani already tried that. (Which also presumably means that Natani - the properly paranoid assassin - *did* set up a waypoint somewhere, like he did on the island. Seems in character for him.) Nobody is teleporting anywhere, so the question is more whether someone can hover or fly them up in some way. I didn't remember the instance of Trace holding flora up with telekinesis way back on page 187, though I don't think we've seen if it's possible to levitate *yourself* with telekinesis. Either way, no teleportation though.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#14 Post by Warrl »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:34 pmthough I don't think we've seen if it's possible to levitate *yourself* with telekinesis.
Does the name Saraphina ring any bells?