Comic for November 7, 2020: Closing In

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

Comic for November 7, 2020: Closing In

#1 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Hm. Not going so well in the beach room, it seems? Be careful about that mana burn, Natani.... I wonder what Raine is seeing?

(Also for some reason it won't work directly linking to the comic image? Had to temporarily upload it to imgur instead....)

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

Re: Comic for November 7, 2020: Closing In

#2 Post by tony1695 »

Someone who knows more about architecture than me needs to explain just how Raine's epiphany can get them out.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

Cpt. H.L. Rodney
New Citizen

#3 Post by Cpt. H.L. Rodney »

Come on damn it, I was hoping Trace would stop all this and turn the estate's defenses back against the real bad guys, get Rose back in control. God I hope what had been teased and built up (and this building my hopes up) in the last chapter isn't gonna be thrown out the window... not the wedding, not the estate... not their character development... so much that can still be done before they have to leave... it's all too perfect to throw away... I've been waiting too long for Trace and Flora's engagement and wedding for them to not only be ruined, but their wedding plan ruined too. Not when they're in a perfect safe zone, it can't be ruined now ;n;

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#4 Post by Bellhead »

tony1695 wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:06 am Someone who knows more about architecture than me needs to explain just how Raine's epiphany can get them out.
Simply put, it's a load-bearing wall. It must support not only itself, but every floor (or in this case, more wall and the roof) above it. She likely did the math subconsciously, and figured that there was a spot somewhere, I'd guess by the entry door, where the wall would be the most thin. Or possibly the floor.

In short, you don't remove a load-bearing wall, even if you can.

Also, Natani's first experience with Mana Burn. That must hurt something fierce. And is Reni okay? She looks BEAT. Have these things been regenerating this whole time?
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#5 Post by Technic[Bot] »

I just realized Raine has yellow eyes. They suit her!
Bellhead wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:28 am
tony1695 wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:06 am Someone who knows more about architecture than me needs to explain just how Raine's epiphany can get them out.
Simply put, it's a load-bearing wall. It must support not only itself, but every floor (or in this case, more wall and the roof) above it. She likely did the math subconsciously, and figured that there was a spot somewhere, I'd guess by the entry door, where the wall would be the most thin. Or possibly the floor.

Also, Natani's first experience with Mana Burn. That must hurt something fierce. And is Reni okay? She looks BEAT. Have these things been regenerating this whole time?
Well maybe she considered than the ceiling might be thin enough to punch through with two mages and a dragon. Floor might be also a good choice specially if they are not on the ground floor
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#6 Post by aitaituo »

You know, in hindsight, it's really stupid that they haven't been trying to break through where the door was where they know it connects to the normal architecture manor instead of the side of a giant room.

Combak
Citizen

#7 Post by Combak »

Considering the floor hasn’t broken yet, and the word ceiling has come up a few times, I’m pretty sure they’re going up and out.

Cpt. H.L. Rodney
New Citizen

#8 Post by Cpt. H.L. Rodney »

I vote door personally. It's the obvious route and they didn't try it once. Better and quicker, since Reni is tuckered out, and the estate is actively blocking teleportation magic. Best idea for the door is for all of them to hit it at once, rather than fend off the guardians. God if they did that they'd've been out of there much sooner! Reni! Redhead! Natani! Raine! The *door!* Blow it! No more fooling around with the guardians

jacobc62
Grand Templar

#9 Post by jacobc62 »

The thing is that they HAVE been hitting where the door used to be. Therefore, with the door done, there's no need for the wall to be thinned out, thus making it as solid as the other three. Red could also be correct about the walls regenerating after being damaged, albeit not noticeably.
"That poor, sexy [censored]...." -Evals Vaughan, October 2016

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#10 Post by tony1695 »

jacobc62 wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:49 am The thing is that they HAVE been hitting where the door used to be. Therefore, with the door done, there's no need for the wall to be thinned out, thus making it as solid as the other three. Red could also be correct about the walls regenerating after being damaged, albeit not noticeably.
We don't actually know what happened to the door. All we do know is that they can't perceive it. Doesn't mean it's been removed, could just be some powerful magic disguising it from all senses.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

Cpt. H.L. Rodney
New Citizen

#11 Post by Cpt. H.L. Rodney »

jacobc62 wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:49 am The thing is that they HAVE been hitting where the door used to be. Therefore, with the door done, there's no need for the wall to be thinned out, thus making it as solid as the other three. Red could also be correct about the walls regenerating after being damaged, albeit not noticeably.
No they haven't. The door is up by the pool, they're on the ground next to it on the beach, hitting a random segment of wall hoping it breaks and leads to a hallway (which is elevated above them from the beach they're standing on)

TheMasterOfOats
Apprentice
Fav. Twokinds Character: Florence Ambrose

#12 Post by TheMasterOfOats »

Oh man was this page worth the wait. Super interesting, what with Natani’s apparent reaction to magic. I wonder if it’s some conditioning aspect. Only some people are recruited to the Templar because of their magic abilities, perhaps the same goes for keidran? Some just have higher capacity than others? Or maybe the reason is tied to Keidran not being able to channel mana in the first place.

And I think Raine has the exact same idea as I did: blow the frigging roof off the building. Renovations? Either way, I like it.

You’re welcome.
Mr. The master of Oats, master of Oats Canada and Canada Oats, in Oats, Canada.

Eclipse
Templar Master

#13 Post by Eclipse »

It sounds like she might be thinking of blasting the ceiling. This would make some narrative sense as it could bring them right into the conflict between Trace and Detritus.

Also, Tom is really trolling with that first panel. Almost makes you think that Stoney was killed by Detritus' attack from the last page but then you realize it's just one of the stone lizards in the Oasis Room. Guess Stoney's fate is up in the air for a few weeks (hopefully he'll at least survive long enough to interact with Maddie and Karen again, it'd be interesting to see how they react to Stoney being an ally).

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#14 Post by Technic[Bot] »

TheMasterOfOats wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:23 am Oh man was this page worth the wait. Super interesting, what with Natani’s apparent reaction to magic. I wonder if it’s some conditioning aspect. Only some people are recruited to the Templar because of their magic abilities, perhaps the same goes for keidran? Some just have higher capacity than others? Or maybe the reason is tied to Keidran not being able to channel mana in the first place.

And I think Raine has the exact same idea as I did: blow the frigging roof off the building. Renovations? Either way, I like it.
For what little lore Tom feeds us outside of the comic is a Keidran thing. If they use too much magic too fast they get "mana burn" humans can't get it as they would run out of magic before that. but i like the idea that magic abilities are not uniformly distributed.
Now if you indulge me in some basic themodymics:
I like the concept of mana burn I assume that converting pure mana to any magic is not a 100% efficient process. We know Mekkan physics works very different from real one, But bear with me. In the real work no process is 100% efficient either, some energy is turned into something usefull, the rest is wasted in the form of heat, deformations and noise. I imagine the idea is similar, thus making mana burn a real burn. You are releasing magic so fast that you are basically cooking and grinding yourself, I imagine it also creates lots of static electricity on top so you also get zapped. And that is without considering that the whole casting process is likely to require effort and concentration, even without any losses it would be physically tiring after a while. When you put it like that mana burn seems like could incapacitate any mage.
Eclipse wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:34 pm It sounds like she might be thinking of blasting the ceiling. This would make some narrative sense as it could bring them right into the conflict between Trace and Detritus.

Also, Tom is really trolling with that first panel. Almost makes you think that Stoney was killed by Detritus' attack from the last page but then you realize it's just one of the stone lizards in the Oasis Room. Guess Stoney's fate is up in the air for a few weeks (hopefully he'll at least survive long enough to interact with Maddie and Karen again, it'd be interesting to see how they react to Stoney being an ally).
Stoney is basically a dog. She was just defending his master property before. I am pretty sure that once Trace appropriately introduces Karen and Maddie to him he will act like a lapdog around these kids. Granted they will probably still gonna be scared of him but you can't have everything in this life.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Eclipse
Templar Master

#15 Post by Eclipse »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:42 pm
Eclipse wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:34 pm It sounds like she might be thinking of blasting the ceiling. This would make some narrative sense as it could bring them right into the conflict between Trace and Detritus.

Stoney is basically a dog. She was just defending his master property before. I am pretty sure that once Trace appropriately introduces Karen and Maddie to him he will act like a lapdog around these kids. Granted they will probably still gonna be scared of him but you can't have everything in this life.
Probably, but just because we have an idea of what they'll do doesn't mean it won't be interesting to see it actually play out. I mean it's going to be funny to see them go "You're friends with THAT thing that attacked us?". Doubly so when you consider they're both watching the rest of the group hold out against an entire army of them in the Oasis Room.