Comic for October 10, 2020: Body Snatcher

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Twilight
Traveler

Re: Comic for October 10, 2020: Body Snatcher

#16 Post by Twilight »

Something else to think about -- Rose. Saria was her best friend, if Trace stops Detrius from completing the ritual, Rose (now without her restrictions) might complete it just to bring her friend back.

steelabjur
Council Member

#17 Post by steelabjur »

Taven wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:42 pm You know, all this talk of Detritus reminds me of something..from another game actually..Streetfighter 5, And Evil Ryu Kage...moreso, a quote from Akuma/Gouki. "You are nothing but a soulless silhouette." Detritus isn't exactly Dark Trace..at least I don't think so. Like Evil Ryu Kage in SF 5, Detritus is likely a physical manifestation of the darkness within Trace...his wants and desires of that time in his life..or at least a singular desire. Being rid of him won't be the end won't be the end of Trace's arc...although for some reason I do believe at the moment of Detritus' destruction there will be a sort of feed-back that will awaken more of Trace's memories, probably kick-starting his desire to clean up his mess.
According to Word of Tom from the stream, Detritus is a mimic-like creature indowned with the memory and personality of Old!Trace (hence the liquidity tentacle-ness of it). As you can imagine, given Old!Trace's racism, being an inhuman monster has driven it quite insane (even by Old!Trace standards). It was created as an experiment to bring Saria back, had things went well it would have been the option Old!Trace went with, but was considered a failure by Old!Trace due to being unstable, which led to them going with the turn-Maren-into-Saria plot and Old!Trace putting Detritus into suspended animation.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#18 Post by Bellhead »

Twilight wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:55 pm Something else to think about -- Rose. Saria was her best friend, if Trace stops Detritus from completing the ritual, Rose (now without her restrictions) might complete it just to bring her friend back.
I remember this being brought up early on in this arc, about whether Rose as she is would still support resurrecting Saria, or if she would prefer to let her rest in peace. Personally, I'm of the mindset that she, at least initially, didn't want her friend to be brought back to someone with such harsh prejudices and racism, a desire which would overpower her own desire to see her again. That said, I also think she, much like Current Trace, has accepted death as something that happened, and once done should stay done. Trace now, seems more like the type to prevent it as long as possible, but also to accept it should it happen. He experienced it with Saria (though before he lost his memory), and saw it happen with Laura. And if someone with as messed up a history as Trace could figure it out, I'm sure Rose, who has retained her sanity through all of this crap, could accept Saria's death properly, even though she herself cannot have that luxury.

Bottom line, while Rose would certainly be lonely there, and would miss Saria greatly, I doubt she would go that far. She's far too sane for that.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#19 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Bellhead wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:17 am
Twilight wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:55 pm Something else to think about -- Rose. Saria was her best friend, if Trace stops Detritus from completing the ritual, Rose (now without her restrictions) might complete it just to bring her friend back.
I remember this being brought up early on in this arc, about whether Rose as she is would still support resurrecting Saria, or if she would prefer to let her rest in peace. Personally, I'm of the mindset that she, at least initially, didn't want her friend to be brought back to someone with such harsh prejudices and racism, a desire which would overpower her own desire to see her again. That said, I also think she, much like Current Trace, has accepted death as something that happened, and once done should stay done. Trace now, seems more like the type to prevent it as long as possible, but also to accept it should it happen. He experienced it with Saria (though before he lost his memory), and saw it happen with Laura. And if someone with as messed up a history as Trace could figure it out, I'm sure Rose, who has retained her sanity through all of this crap, could accept Saria's death properly, even though she herself cannot have that luxury.

Bottom line, while Rose would certainly be lonely there, and would miss Saria greatly, I doubt she would go that far. She's far too sane for that.
I think we had an sketch not long ago were Rose sat old and sick but hopeful that she would finally see her friend again "Saria I will see you soon" or something she said.
However Trace had other plans.
My point is Rose doesn't really needs to complete the ritual to see Saria again she just has to be put out of her misery get disconnected from the state and die. Something she was about to before Trace went bat[censored?] Insane.
Besides I doubt she would condone or accept killing the rest of the party, including some of her only family, stealing Marens body and in general evil necromancy experiments on innocents. Not that Trace ever asked her or cares for that matter. There is a reason Detroit was set as fail safe for rose.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

steelabjur
Council Member

#20 Post by steelabjur »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:38 am

I think we had an sketch not long ago were Rose sat old and sick but hopeful that she would finally see her friend again "Saria I will see you soon" or something she said.
My point is Rose doesn't really needs to complete the ritual to see Saria again she just has to be put out of her misery get disconnected from the state and die. Something she was about to before Trace went bat[censored?] Insane.
Besides I doubt she would condone or accept killing the rest of the party, including some of her only family, stealing Marens body and in general evil necromancy experiments on innocents. Not that Trace ever asked her or cares for that matter. There is a reason Detroit was set as fail safe for rose.
Remember, Rose has issues with trusting people generally, and family especially due to her past. Saria was literally the only person she really trusted. She wasn't a slave, and I doubt Trace would have stopped her if she snuck off either (if he wasn't so wrapped up with his experiments to notice she's missing), so she stayed until old age with him on her own volition.

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: When in doubt, Nibbly!

#21 Post by CrRAR »

TheMasterOfOats wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:07 pm Oh man this is a good page. Interesting, we now know why Trace woke up in a forest, the masks wiped his memory on the way to take Maren. Huh.
One important thing to note concerning the timeline that just popped into my head, when Detritus says “but then... you disappeared” Trace supposedly had gone insane trying to bring her back, “failed”, AND THEN emerged to conduct a coup of the Templar order to deal with his anger with Keidran more directly... so unless those events happened more simultaneously than in succession, Trace disappeared to attempt thorough genocide (directly and by means of the towers) rather than try fixing his Saria problem after the events Detritus describes.

Also something that is interesting in devastating that Wolf village that’s where Trace first encountered Laura, sparing her, because she “reminded him of her(Saria)”. Not that Trace probably would have ever considered Laura as a Saria host... but... maybe? Hate to ruin such an otherwise tender moment, I’m sure it was just out of the goodness of his heart~

Trace: “I know you love Keidran so much... I brought you back as one! Aren’t I thoughtful!?” :twisted:

Or maybe... he could have used an imperfect transformation spell on her like with Mary... to make a transformed human Fox host body. :shock:

In some wacko timeline Laura may have yet lived on! ...as Saria. >:
:natani:╯ ︵┻━┻
Fight the power!

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#22 Post by tony1695 »

CrRAR wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:26 amOne important thing to note concerning the timeline that just popped into my head, when Detritus says “but then... you disappeared” Trace supposedly had gone insane trying to bring her back, “failed”, AND THEN emerged to conduct a coup of the Templar order to deal with his anger with Keidran more directly... so unless those events happened more simultaneously than in succession, Trace disappeared to attempt thorough genocide (directly and by means of the towers) rather than try fixing his Saria problem after the events Detritus describes.
I'm not one hundred percent on the timeline, but there was definitely a several-year gap between Saria's passing and the start of the comic. Enough time for Rose to finally succumb to old age, and Trace to find a perfect candidate as a host for Saria's "soul". Plenty of time to decide that the Templar are hindering his progress in finding a way to bring her back, take over, change the structure of the organisation with other power-hungry individuals supporting him so that he can (likely) siphon resources for research purposes, gain enough political pull to have laws written up or changed (He was the one who made it illegal to buy slaves with the intention of emancipating them)...

Going by the character page stating that Trace and Saria were only married for a year before her passing, and taking into account Rose being physically dead for two years, a three to four year period seems about right. I personally lean towards the latter. It could be longer, though.

And the way Detritus is talking, it likely means that Trace decided on Maren as the perfect host body, declared his intention to collect her, and only then disappeared. Detritus has only been unsupervised for however long the comic's timeframe is.

CrRAR wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:26 am In some wacko timeline Laura may have yet lived on! ...as Saria. >:
Well that's a horrifying idea for a sketch stream suggestion:
The transformation starts unravelling, and Saria is freaking out at suddenly 'growing' fox ears and a tail, Trace losing his mind at his perfect wife suddenly not being so perfect...
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: When in doubt, Nibbly!

#23 Post by CrRAR »

tony1695 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:27 am
CrRAR wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:26 am In some wacko timeline Laura may have yet lived on! ...as Saria. >:
The transformation starts unravelling, and Saria is freaking out at suddenly 'growing' fox ears and a tail, Trace losing his mind at his perfect wife suddenly not being so perfect...
Cut straight out of a campy 80's were-Keidran horror-comedy.

Saria (other room): "Trace! I'm a... fox?"
Trace: "...yeah, yeah, you sure aaare, dear!"
*cue laugh track*

"No... no REALLY!" *pops head out the side of bathroom door, ears and snout in full glory*
*panic zoom to Trace face of sudden realization*
steelabjur wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:57 am
Technic[Bot] wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:38 am
Twilight wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:55 pmBottom line, while Rose would certainly be lonely there, and would miss Saria greatly, I doubt she would go that far. She's far too sane for that.
I think we had an sketch not long ago where Rose sat old and sick but hopeful that she would finally see her friend again "Saria I will see you soon" or something she said.
Besides I doubt she would condone or accept killing the rest of the party, including some of her only family, stealing Marens body and in general evil necromancy experiments on innocents. Not that Trace ever asked her or cares for that matter. There is a reason Detritus was set as fail safe for rose.
Remember, Rose has issues with trusting people generally, and family especially due to her past. Saria was literally the only person she really trusted. She wasn't a slave, and I doubt Trace would have stopped her if she snuck off either (if he wasn't so wrapped up with his experiments to notice she's missing), so she stayed until old age with him on her own volition.
Yup, Rose (for whatever plot she's become a part of) has said the reason she and her painting is there is "because of her"(Saria), possibly this language is to draw emphasis that she serves in Saria's memory and seeks solace in being 'used' as long as she is in a state of perpetually mourning/celebrating Saria's life and kindnesses, like a living memorial in a state of unrelenting revolt against the real head-of-household, and not in alignment with Trace's which supported bringing Saria back. It's pretty clear Rose despises old Trace and his intentions, but maybe pities new Trace, at least in her conversations with him, it feels as though magical manipulation has made her more cordial and complicit because she still immediately on unrestricting pondered bringing about Trace's demise (indicating obvious deep-seated hatred), but hinted at in a roundabout way, maybe as to circumvent some deeper restrictions or maybe just an earlier hint at her not-totally-corporeal nature. Rose ultimately may have just existed to be a clever ruse to keep the estate matters unmysterious, and provided a friendly face up until Maren touched a table? Which in and of itself is nefarious enough to warrant such disgust.

Reni's understanding of all this is also of interest to me, she could appropriately be completely unaware, what she has to say will be interesting once she can take a break from smashing lizurbs.

I think that's the only thing that's changed with the unrestricting for Rose, is saving a wayward Maddie/Karen, more time to plot, and an earlier awakening of Detritus than would have naturally happened. Though, no stopping the actual ritual. So it will be interesting her abilities or role related to that.
:natani:╯ ︵┻━┻
Fight the power!

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#24 Post by Technic[Bot] »

CrRAR wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:06 pm
tony1695 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:27 am
Cut straight out of a campy 80's were-Keidran horror-comedy.

Saria (other room): "Trace! I'm a... fox?"
Trace: "...yeah, yeah, you sure aaare, dear!"
*cue laugh track*

"No... no REALLY!" *pops head out the side of bathroom door, ears and snout in full glory*
*panic zoom to Trace face of sudden realization*
-snip-

Yup, Rose (for whatever plot she's become a part of) has said the reason she and her painting is there is "because of her"(Saria), possibly this language is to draw emphasis that she serves in Saria's memory and seeks solace in being 'used' as long as she is in a state of perpetually mourning/celebrating Saria's life and kindnesses, like a living memorial in a state of unrelenting revolt against the real head-of-household, and not in alignment with Trace's which supported bringing Saria back. It's pretty clear Rose despises old Trace and his intentions, but maybe pities new Trace, at least in her conversations with him, it feels as though magical manipulation has made her more cordial and complicit because she still immediately on unrestricting pondered bringing about Trace's demise (indicating obvious deep-seated hatred), but hinted at in a roundabout way, maybe as to circumvent some deeper restrictions or maybe just an earlier hint at her not-totally-corporeal nature. Rose ultimately may have just existed to be a clever ruse to keep the estate matters unmysterious, and provided a friendly face up until Maren touched a table? Which in and of itself is nefarious enough to warrant such disgust.

Reni's understanding of all this is also of interest to me, she could appropriately be completely unaware, what she has to say will be interesting once she can take a break from smashing lizurbs.

I think that's the only thing that's changed with the unrestricting for Rose, is saving a wayward Maddie/Karen, more time to plot, and an earlier awakening of Detritus than would have naturally happened. Though, no stopping the actual ritual. So it will be interesting her abilities or role related to that.
I think the reason Trace turned Rise into a whatever abomination she is now I because he didn't want the last thing that reminded him of Saria to die too.
Sure he hated her , as she was a wolf, but it was also her wife beloved friend, he couldn't just let her go. Besides he needed tests subjects.
In regards of Rose I think she stayed as a way to honor Saria and perhaps she thought she could help Trace find some solace before she died. In any case I imagine she would have escaped had she known what Trace had in store for her .
Finally I agree I doubt Rose ever had enough administrive privileges to stop the ritual. But I think she will try to do something
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Cpt. H.L. Rodney
New Citizen

#25 Post by Cpt. H.L. Rodney »

... Detritus... your creator just gave you an order. :x

I hope to God that Rose can still talk even now, and that she knows a way to stop him that can help Trace, and get her back in control of the estate. That way she can turn the guardians on Clovis and his goons before it's too late.