Comic for October 4, 2020: Detritus

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

Re: Comic for October 4, 2020: Detritus

#16 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Considering the large amount I versions of Trace: original!Trace, dark! Trace, amnesiac!Trace, shadow! Trace. His name, Trace legacy makes a lot more sense now. Not only his memory is nothing but traces but there are Traces of his legacy basically everywhere.

I personally think Shadow Trace is a sort of back up both for Trace's original plan and of Traces memory and personality. Not as good as Necro/Ghost Rose. But good enough as a failsafe in case something goes awry
Neutral Smith wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:08 pm Trace (neutral because he has lost his memories thanks to Neutral), Detritus (evil)...

I wonder if there is also a good part of him. ('Crumb' would be a good name)
Wouldn't that be OG!Trace?
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Phaing
Master

#17 Post by Phaing »

Its getting a bit dark and confusing for me to follow this.

"Guardians have been activated to prevent interuptions" .... yeah, sure. We'll see how they do against Clovis.
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

Eclipse
Templar Master

#18 Post by Eclipse »

Also this probably answers the question about whether or not Rose is evil. It sounds like she isn't, she just can't do anything to stop Detritus and help Trace and co.

Cosmacelf
Apprentice

#19 Post by Cosmacelf »

Eclipse wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:13 pm Also this probably answers the question about whether or not Rose is evil. It sounds like she isn't, she just can't do anything to stop Detritus and help Trace and co.
I never doubted you Rose!

Warrl
Grand Templar

#20 Post by Warrl »

Technically, Rose did not "break free" from her restrictions. Trace released her from them.

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#21 Post by aitaituo »

Warrl wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:10 pm Technically, Rose did not "break free" from her restrictions. Trace released her from them.
I doubt Detritus cares much. It sounds like he's not going to listen to Trace at all.

Cosmacelf
Apprentice

#22 Post by Cosmacelf »

So, why didn’t Rose warn Trace about Detritus? Seems she knew about him. Maybe since Detritus was a kind of failsafe against Rose, maybe there were restrictions placed on her.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#23 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Cosmacelf wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:21 pm So, why didn’t Rose warn Trace about Detritus? Seems she knew about him. Maybe since Detritus was a kind of failsafe against Rose, maybe there were restrictions placed on her.
I think Roses original idea was for Trace to never find out about any of this. Not his necromancy experiments nor her being turned into a necromantic version of Alexa.
Besides I doubt she knew. It is not like Dark!Trace had any reason to inform her on fail-safes created to keep her in check.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Cosmacelf
Apprentice

#24 Post by Cosmacelf »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:35 pm
Cosmacelf wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:21 pm So, why didn’t Rose warn Trace about Detritus? Seems she knew about him. Maybe since Detritus was a kind of failsafe against Rose, maybe there were restrictions placed on her.
I think Roses original idea was for Trace to never find out about any of this. Not his necromancy experiments nor her being turned into a necromantic version of Alexa.
Besides I doubt she knew. It is not like Dark!Trace had any reason to inform her on fail-safes created to keep her in check.
True. Now that I think about it, Euchre even asked Rose to not tell Trace about all that stuff.

http://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/1021/

Eclipse
Templar Master

#25 Post by Eclipse »

It could be just that she didn't know until he awakened, as Technic[Bot] said there'd be no reason for Old!Trace to tell her about him. But remember there was something else that triggered all of this, and that's Maren interacting with the table in one of the rooms. That was when Detritus warped her away and awoke the guardians. So maybe she didn't know that Trace was using Maren for the ritual?

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#26 Post by tony1695 »

Eclipse wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:43 am
It could be just that she didn't know until he awakened, as Technic[Bot] said there'd be no reason for Old!Trace to tell her about him. But remember there was something else that triggered all of this, and that's Maren interacting with the table in one of the rooms. That was when Detritus warped her away and awoke the guardians. So maybe she didn't know that Trace was using Maren for the ritual?
Highly likely that's the case. Odds are that as much as Rose wanted to see her friend again, doing so at the cost of another's life (and hurting everyone tied to that person) would have been a line she did not want to cross. Trace had no reason to give her all the details, and keeping her restricted in what she could access would make it easier to keep things hidden from her. This probably ties into why she was saying "Detritus" earlier. She wasn't referring to the rest of the party, she was trying to retake control of the manor (or at least the golem defences) and was naming the one stopping her. Take control of the manor, take control of the ritual and hopefully abort the process before it becomes irreversible. Only taking control of the golems would leave her with a more... inelegant method of stopping the ritual.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#27 Post by aitaituo »

Can the ritual even work? Last time Detritus saw Trace, Saria was a ghost. My impression is that she passed on after the fake city incident with Ephemural.

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#28 Post by tony1695 »

aitaituo wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:00 pm Can the ritual even work? Last time Detritus saw Trace, Saria was a ghost. My impression is that she passed on after the fake city incident with Ephemural.
That depends entirely on just what the ritual involves. It could be similar to what Ghost!Laura was to Keith, an echo created from his memories and warped by his bigotry. If that's the case, then Detritus would serve as a back-up of Trace's memories of Saria, with Rose's input to try and keep it as authentic as possible.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

steelabjur
Council Member

#29 Post by steelabjur »

aitaituo wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:00 pm Can the ritual even work? Last time Detritus saw Trace, Saria was a ghost. My impression is that she passed on after the fake city incident with Ephemural.
Pretty sure the last time Detritus saw Trace was when Old!Trace left the manor. There's no evidence that Detritus has any knowledge of anything that happened in the time between Old!Trace setting it up as a failsafe against Rose breaking free until it woke up.

SpottedKitty
Templar GrandMaster

#30 Post by SpottedKitty »

steelabjur wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:19 am Pretty sure the last time Detritus saw Trace was when Old!Trace left the manor. There's no evidence that Detritus has any knowledge of anything that happened in the time between Old!Trace setting it up as a failsafe against Rose breaking free until it woke up.
For that matter, just how intelligent is Detritus? Is "he" a true, if partial, image of Old!Trace's original personality and memories, or more of a magic-driven sophisticated Eliza-type expert system? Remember he said "I don't understand these questions" — very much like a computer adventure game when you haven't quite typed in exactly the right words to get a response.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery