Comic for September 12, 2020: Entering and Breaking

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Re: Comic for September 12, 2020: Entering and Breaking

#31 Post by Bellhead »

steelabjur wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:29 pm Ya'll are having such a serious conversation, meanwhile I'm over here chuckling at the one twin questioning if Clovis would be going to all this trouble himself if it wasn't Brutus captured. It'll be interesting to see how Clovis reacts to pantless Brutus (given all the non-canon sketches of the pair). :P
It's been long theorized that a lot of the subtle character traits were flushed out through the sketches, and even character development at some points. As such, I believe that Clovis' relationship with Brutus, though.. a lot different than the sketches.. is more than just Boss and Underling at this point. Be it because of Nora or what, but he cares for him. Probably more than he thinks he should.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#32 Post by Technic[Bot] »

steelabjur wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:29 pm Ya'll are having such a serious conversation, meanwhile I'm over here chuckling at the one twin questioning if Clovis would be going to all this trouble himself if it wasn't Brutus captured. It'll be interesting to see how Clovis reacts to pantless Brutus (given all the non-canon sketches of the pair). :P
Well regarding less serious stuff. Clovis does look positively fluffy on the previous to last panel. It almost makes me want to give him a hug. I say almost as I would probably get stabbed if i tried...
Bellhead wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:31 am -snip-
It's been long theorized that a lot of the subtle character traits were flushed out through the sketches, and even character development at some points. As such, I believe that Clovis' relationship with Brutus, though.. a lot different than the sketches.. is more than just Boss and Underling at this point. Be it because of Nora or what, but he cares for him. Probably more than he thinks he should.
I do agree with you. Clovis cares more about Brutus than he even realizes, perhaps not as much as the sketches suggest but Romulus, or was it Remus? has a point he seems to be very intent in recovering him. I think their relationship between those two is gonna be the way Clovis gets some character growth or at least some resolution. He either realizes he cares for him, even without the curse affecting him, and by proxy he realizes he does not want his men get butchered by the state/Trace. Or Brutus realizes that Clovis, despite actually caring for him, would sacrifice him to save himself and thus, feeling betrayed, Brutus ends killing Clovis.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#33 Post by AmigaDragon »

The only way Brutus would ever kill Clovis would be accidentally. As for any other violence, I think he was only throwing fireballs because The Boss ordered it, he otherwise seems like too pleasant a fellow to do that kind of thing normally..
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

steelabjur
Council Member

#34 Post by steelabjur »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:55 am
Well regarding less serious stuff. Clovis does look positively fluffy on the previous to last panel. It almost makes me want to give him a hug. I say almost as I would probably get stabbed if i tried...
Bellhead wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:31 am -snip-
I do agree with you. Clovis cares more about Brutus than he even realizes, perhaps not as much as the sketches suggest but Romulus, or was it Remus? has a point he seems to be very intent in recovering him. I think their relationship between those two is gonna be the way Clovis gets some character growth or at least some resolution. He either realizes he cares for him, even without the curse affecting him, and by proxy he realizes he does not want his men get butchered by the state/Trace. Or Brutus realizes that Clovis, despite actually caring for him, would sacrifice him to save himself and thus, feeling betrayed, Brutus ends killing Clovis.
I feel that given his character, had it been anyone but Brutus, simply eliminating the person as a potential link to his organization would be something Clovis considered. That he (as someone who deals in blackmarket magic) is obviously rocking into the place with multiple magical geegaws at the ready really stands out to me. He didn't just come ready, he came ready for bear and probably armed with stuff from his own personal stock.

I agree with AmigaDragon on that last bit, Brutus might be himbo dumb, but he is loyal to a fault and views Clovis in the most positive light. I can't see him turning on Clovis unless Clovis made an attempt on his life first and failed, and even then only if Clovis made it clear that killing Brutus was his intention.

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#35 Post by tony1695 »

There's another party that hasn't been taken into account: Landen and Sealeen, and possibly their Adrakist friend as well. The two are in a position to see Clovis's team enter, and could be an unplanned variable. Landen has shown physical abilities that would give Basitins trouble when sufficiently motivated, and Sealeen is a skilled alchemist and mage. And Sarahfina... she's part-dragon, and none of Clovis's guys seemed to be wearing much in the way of actual armour... Assuming she gets free of whatever incarceration she got put in for attacking Keith.

Unless the manor's defenses get enough juice to poultrify them.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

steelabjur
Council Member

#36 Post by steelabjur »

tony1695 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:04 pm There's another party that hasn't been taken into account: Landen and Sealeen, and possibly their Adrakist friend as well. The two are in a position to see Clovis's team enter, and could be an unplanned variable. Landen has shown physical abilities that would give Basitins trouble when sufficiently motivated, and Sealeen is a skilled alchemist and mage. And Sarahfina... she's part-dragon, and none of Clovis's guys seemed to be wearing much in the way of actual armour... Assuming she gets free of whatever incarceration she got put in for attacking Keith.

Unless the manor's defenses get enough juice to poultrify them.
I could see Landen and Sealeen ambushing Remus (he probably isn't expecting an attack to come from outside the manor), while his twin runs into trouble with Lynn (and probably Kat) upstairs looking for "Zenny". I doubt we'll see Sarahfina though, she didn't part ways with Landen and Sealeen on the best of terms (maybe in the future though). We'll probably see Sealeen and Lynn reunite afterward and the pair of mercs officially added to the troop of weirdos Trace has collected under his banner.

If you think about it, Clovis is being rather foolhardily confident in his attack, bringing only two guys in with him. I mean sure, he expects to free Brutus (and maybe the other guy), but charging into Masks know what going down inside this manor with such scanty backup? I thinking being able to look like a guy again has gone to his head.

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#37 Post by AmigaDragon »

steelabjur wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:10 pmI could see Landen and Sealeen ambushing Remus (he probably isn't expecting an attack to come from outside the manor), while his twin runs into trouble with Lynn (and probably Kat) upstairs looking for "Zenny". I doubt we'll see Sarahfina though, she didn't part ways with Landen and Sealeen on the best of terms (maybe in the future though). We'll probably see Sealeen and Lynn reunite afterward and the pair of mercs officially added to the troop of weirdos Trace has collected under his banner.
Clovis didn't break the entry defenses, he blocked them (for his party of 3), so if they decided to follow him in, they would also fall victim to transformation/teleport since they weren't specifically invited in by Trace or part of his entering group (implied group permission, and the same applies for the 'back door').
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

harlequingnoll

#38 Post by harlequingnoll »

personally i'm surprised the prisoner's "im his right hand man" speech was copied/verified by Clovis. I was totally going with the "telling someone not so bright they're important so they dont cause problems"

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#39 Post by aitaituo »

AmigaDragon wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:09 pm
steelabjur wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:10 pmI could see Landen and Sealeen ambushing Remus (he probably isn't expecting an attack to come from outside the manor), while his twin runs into trouble with Lynn (and probably Kat) upstairs looking for "Zenny". I doubt we'll see Sarahfina though, she didn't part ways with Landen and Sealeen on the best of terms (maybe in the future though). We'll probably see Sealeen and Lynn reunite afterward and the pair of mercs officially added to the troop of weirdos Trace has collected under his banner.
Clovis didn't break the entry defenses, he blocked them (for his party of 3), so if they decided to follow him in, they would also fall victim to transformation/teleport since they weren't specifically invited in by Trace or part of his entering group (implied group permission, and the same applies for the 'back door').
I think that's speculative. We don't know enough about Nora's defenses or Clovis' amulet. It's possible the system is down.