Apprentice

Re: Comic for August 29, 2020: Knock Knock

#31 Post by stlsf4003 »

Eclipse wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:37 pm
tony1695 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:31 am
Eclipse wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:50 am
tony1695 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:50 am
Eclipse wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:23 am
I was just thinking that he probably doesn't want to give Clovis free reign with that amulet, an unchained Clovis with that much power is very dangerous for Brahn, as well as pretty much everyone else. He has to have put some kind of limitation on it to keep Clovis in line.
It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if it turns out the amulet can be used as a slave collar with just the right word from Brahn. For that reason I hope Clovis gets out of this mess intact. A nice big helping of justice for all of his kin he's sold into slavery and worse.
Oh yeah, that would do it, and that definitely seems like something the Templar would do. If that is the case, Trace and his friends might try to free him either because they take pity on his situation or they simply don't want him under Brahn's control.
Taking control of Clovis would give the Templar control of all his assets and resources. That alone would be sufficient reason to get him out from under Brahn's control. And hey, if doing so aligns him with Trace and Friends, even if it's in a 'enemy of my enemy' manner, maybe it'd give the character a chance to develop and become at least a little sympathetic. Maybe.
Maybe, but Trace and co. wouldn't think about it in that way. They'd probably do so more because they're disgusted by the idea of slavery and using Clovis as a glorified attack dog moreso than what he could offer them as an ally, that would be an ancillary benefit. Maybe Clovis would initially see it as an "enemy of my enemy" situation, but I doubt Trace and co. would.
Not to mention the fact that Clovis still has a bone to pick with Zen and Natani. So it's a really good bet that they wouldn't take to kindly to him being around.

That's assuming that Nat doesn't beat him to within an inch of his life first!
the lurking furry railroader

Eclipse
Templar Master

#32 Post by Eclipse »

stlsf4003 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:14 am
Eclipse wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:37 pm
tony1695 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:31 am Taking control of Clovis would give the Templar control of all his assets and resources. That alone would be sufficient reason to get him out from under Brahn's control. And hey, if doing so aligns him with Trace and Friends, even if it's in a 'enemy of my enemy' manner, maybe it'd give the character a chance to develop and become at least a little sympathetic. Maybe.
Maybe, but Trace and co. wouldn't think about it in that way. They'd probably do so more because they're disgusted by the idea of slavery and using Clovis as a glorified attack dog moreso than what he could offer them as an ally, that would be an ancillary benefit. Maybe Clovis would initially see it as an "enemy of my enemy" situation, but I doubt Trace and co. would.
Not to mention the fact that Clovis still has a bone to pick with Zen and Natani. So it's a really good bet that they wouldn't take to kindly to him being around.

That's assuming that Nat doesn't beat him to within an inch of his life first!
I don't think you're quite understanding. Trace and co. might see it as a fate they wouldn't wish on their own worst enemy (which in Natani and Zen's case, might be quite literal) and would free him just for that reason. Although I suspect Natani and Zen would be quite opposed to the idea of allying with Clovis, or at least initially. Natani might be a little more sympathetic once she finds out about Clovis' gender problems (seeing as she suffers from similar issues), after she's finished laughing at the karmic justice of his situation that is.

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#33 Post by AmigaDragon »

Clovis is fully aware that Grand Templar Trace is here, presumably (by his title) the most powerful templar. Even if Brahn knows anything of his amnesia, there's no knowing how much he has forgotten or subsequently remembered.

While Brahn may have slipped some kind of insurance into the amulet, and Clovis may turn on him, the Prince of Greed won't be helping our crew except temporarily out of some selfish motive, something he thinks he can gain out of it. He wants revenge on Zen, Natani and Nora for their various parts (more or less) in losing the mask, getting cursed and losing his mental link to them. Though he may not know yet who besides Trace, another human , some keidran and some basitin are here (definitely not group B, having come in the "back door"). Attacking the manor has its own presumed rewards, both magical and mundane, as the home of the most powerful templar. Prestige from doing so is another reward.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#34 Post by Technic[Bot] »

I do believe that if the character is to remain part of the story he will need some sort of growth wether he joins Trace or not
At the end of the day the "evil for evil sake " villain can be fun at times but quickly becomes boring in the long run.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#35 Post by aitaituo »

AmigaDragon wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:01 am Clovis is fully aware that Grand Templar Trace is here, presumably (by his title) the most powerful templar. Even if Brahn knows anything of his amnesia, there's no knowing how much he has forgotten or subsequently remembered.

While Brahn may have slipped some kind of insurance into the amulet, and Clovis may turn on him, the Prince of Greed won't be helping our crew except temporarily out of some selfish motive, something he thinks he can gain out of it. He wants revenge on Zen, Natani and Nora for their various parts (more or less) in losing the mask, getting cursed and losing his mental link to them. Though he may not know yet who besides Trace, another human , some keidran and some basitin are here (definitely not group B, having come in the "back door"). Attacking the manor has its own presumed rewards, both magical and mundane, as the home of the most powerful templar. Prestige from doing so is another reward.
Brahn is duplicitous enough that I expect he had some sort of scheme to screw over Clovis. It might not be a sabotaged amulet, but he may well expect Trace and Clovis to neutralize each other.

Eclipse
Templar Master

#36 Post by Eclipse »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:22 am I do believe that if the character is to remain part of the story he will need some sort of growth wether he joins Trace or not
At the end of the day the "evil for evil sake " villain can be fun at times but quickly becomes boring in the long run.
Agreed. Those types of villains tend to be very shallow and boring. Clovis is probably going to have some sort of character development in the story.

Zaigan
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#37 Post by Zaigan »

It's so amazing to see Clovis making his grand appearance in the comic after all these years. I mean, sure we saw him a little when he got his brooch (which yeah, I suspect is what's letting him be a dude again. Suppressing Dragon curses must be a a huge challenge.) So many plotlines are really coming to a head!

Rafe
Council Member

#38 Post by Rafe »

One thing people always seem to forget about Clovis, and count at least a little toward his "good" side, is that Clovis undeniably saved Natani's life.
It was Clovis who gave Natani and Zen their linked minds, and also all the complications that go with them. So if not for Clovis, all we would have is Zen and the memory of his dead sibling.

They didn't like the deal that went along with saving Natani's life, but I really doubt they'd refuse it if they could go back and have the chance to not go through with it this time.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#39 Post by Bellhead »

Rafe wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:36 am One thing people always seem to forget about Clovis, and count at least a little toward his "good" side, is that Clovis undeniably saved Natani's life.
It was Clovis who gave Natani and Zen their linked minds, and also all the complications that go with them. So if not for Clovis, all we would have is Zen and the memory of his dead sibling.

They didn't like the deal that went along with saving Natani's life, but I really doubt they'd refuse it if they could go back and have the chance to not go through with it this time.
While technically true, Clovis did that purely out of greed, knowing that those two would do anything to pay him back. To him, saving Natani was a business deal, nothing more, nothing less.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

MaverickMopete
Citizen

#40 Post by MaverickMopete »

*Clovis walks in, and gets struck by magic. Nothing happens.*

Clovis: Ha! Nice try, jacka**! Next time, bring your A-Game!

(Yes, I've watched a lot of Dragonball Z Abridged.)