Comic for August 22, 2020: Karen Clues In

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Tiennos
Citizen

Re: Comic for August 22, 2020: Karen Clues In

#16 Post by Tiennos »

This makes me wonder if there even is a term in the Basitin language for "hook up." Maybe there is... in a law book detailing what kind of punishment that deserves!

Either that or you'd have to ask the "wild" basitins (eastern? western? can't remember right now).
I'm adorable !

Yastreb
Apprentice
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith

#17 Post by Yastreb »

It's the westerns (who live in the east side of the island).
Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:53 pm On a side note.
Mike has mentioned several times he feels more human than Keidran having lived among humans all his life. But he seems pretty casual about nudity. something I do not he could have learnt as a slave. Specially not as a non-sex slave to humans. I know that is just played for kicks and giggles but I think it would be a bit more in character if he kept his short whereas Evals decided to go with nothing.
I hadn't even thought of this before. Maybe it was peer pressure in this case, since he was with Evals and Flora.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#18 Post by Bellhead »

Now that you mention it, it does seem pids, for his character. Not by that much, but still. He likely grew up with "clothes are for working" and never really wore them sleeping, or when water was involved.

I mean, it makes some sense, I guess. Could also be him following Evals. Who knows.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#19 Post by Warrl »

Yastreb wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:36 pm It's the westerns (who live in the east side of the island).
... neither side likes to talk about how that happened ...
Yastreb wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:36 pm I hadn't even thought of this before. Maybe it was peer pressure in this case, since he was with Evals and Flora.
And Katherin.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#20 Post by Bellhead »

Warrl wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:07 am
Yastreb wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:36 pm It's the westerns (who live in the east side of the island).
... neither side likes to talk about how that happened ...
Oh, this one I remember. Legend tells of a great battle in each capital... Yeah, that sounded SO much better in my head.

In short, each side was trying to capture the others capital, and left their own insufficiently defended. So they basically swapped territory rather than conquering one another.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#21 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Bellhead wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:24 am Now that you mention it, it does seem pids, for his character. Not by that much, but still. He likely grew up with "clothes are for working" and never really wore them sleeping, or when water was involved.

I mean, it makes some sense, I guess. Could also be him following Evals. Who knows.
Or maybe i have it backwards. Evals was born in with Keidran and his disposition for clothes was likely formed there. Mike on the other hand was born as slave* and maybe his previous owners did not allow him do use clothes:
"Why would a filthy Keidran need clothes for, Especially an slave? Unnecessary costs!"
Hence he never developed a human sense of modesty or an aversion to nudity.

Eric on the other hand seems ambivalent about clothes on Kiedran. If he does not care that Kat, who he considers his little sistes, goes streaking around. Why would he care about Mike and Co? He probably provided simply provided clothes for their job. After all they were sailors and some basic protection of the elements is required for that. Besides do you imagine how hard would it be to get salt out of their fur?
Bellhead wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:14 am -snip-
Oh, this one I remember. Legend tells of a great battle in each capital... Yeah, that sounded SO much better in my head.

In short, each side was trying to capture the others capital, and left their own insufficiently defended. So they basically swapped territory rather than conquering one another.
I have always considered that to be an accidental comment on the sisyphean nature of Basitin/Basitin war. It never stops and it is basically pointless.

*That is extremely sad to write, despite Mike not existing. Curious!
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#22 Post by aitaituo »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:49 am
*That is extremely sad to write, despite Mike not existing. Curious!
What could be sadder?

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#23 Post by Bellhead »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:49 am I have always considered that to be an accidental comment on the sisyphean nature of Basitin/Basitin war. It never stops and it is basically pointless.
Never stops, but I wouldn't call it pointless. The way it was explained to me, the Basitin race generally enjoys fighting, to the point where if one side gets an advantage, they'll back off and let the other recuperate. Add in that of one side is attacked, both will call a ceasefire and fight them off as one. Hence why that templar was worried about it way back when.

Yastreb
Apprentice

#24 Post by Yastreb »

Yastreb wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:36 pm I hadn't even thought of this before. Maybe it was peer pressure in this case, since he was with Evals and Flora.
And Katherin.
I meant in the oasis room. They took they clothes off between 1041 and 1042. At that moment Flora was naked and Evals getting there so perhaps Mike didn't want to be the odd one out.

steelabjur
Council Member

#25 Post by steelabjur »

Yastreb wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:37 pm
And Katherin.
I meant in the oasis room. They took they clothes off between 1041 and 1042. At that moment Flora was naked and Evals getting there so perhaps Mike didn't want to be the odd one out.
Might also be that the human culture of Mekkan aren't as puritan about nudity as modern Human culture on earth. I mean, swimming nude was pretty common all over the world even on Earth.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#26 Post by Technic[Bot] »

steelabjur wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:12 am
Yastreb wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:37 pm
And Katherin.

Might also be that the human culture of Mekkan aren't as puritan about nudity as modern Human culture on earth. I mean, swimming nude was pretty common all over the world even on Earth.
Well up to the middle 1950 a two piece swimsuit was the raciest thing your could wear in public and even that was considered exposing too much. Before that you used one piece swimsuit that covered everything when going to the beach. So yeah they are less modest than comparable real humans.
If I remember correctly they are on year 480 something. Back then here on earth Rome had just fallen and I think going swimming to the beach was not even considered leisure then
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#27 Post by aitaituo »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:26 am
steelabjur wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:12 amMight also be that the human culture of Mekkan aren't as puritan about nudity as modern Human culture on earth. I mean, swimming nude was pretty common all over the world even on Earth.
Well up to the middle 1950 a two piece swimsuit was the raciest thing your could wear in public and even that was considered exposing too much. Before that you used one piece swimsuit that covered everything when going to the beach. So yeah they are less modest than comparable real humans.
If I remember correctly they are on year 480 something. Back then here on earth Rome had just fallen and I think going swimming to the beach was not even considered leisure then
Ancient people swam for leisure, they just didn't have a widespread culture of leisure for normal people. Most people had to work all the time in the cities or were farmers who couldn't afford to travel much, so recreational swimming was more often at a local pond or river. Festivals were a lot bigger deal as a result. I've heard the Romans had about 100 public holidays\festivals a year, but only one day off in a week and no days off for many. When they did swim, it was either in the nude or the underwear of the time and there are surviving pictures of both styles. The idea of a bathing suit is a product of the prudishness of the Victorian era (or so). People wanted to swim but remain chaste and modest, so they invented clothes that had the nasty habit of making it a lot easier to drown. One wonders what Basitins wear to the beach.

Also, 480 AD was roughly the 4,000th year of human civilization, starting from the first proper cities. The first villages with hundreds of inhabitants were something like 12,000 years ago. Magic really does wonder for you're development rate.

steelabjur
Council Member

#28 Post by steelabjur »

aitaituo wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:56 am
Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:26 am
steelabjur wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:12 amMight also be that the human culture of Mekkan aren't as puritan about nudity as modern Human culture on earth. I mean, swimming nude was pretty common all over the world even on Earth.
Ancient people swam for leisure, they just didn't have a widespread culture of leisure for normal people. Most people had to work all the time in the cities or were farmers who couldn't afford to travel much, so recreational swimming was more often at a local pond or river. Festivals were a lot bigger deal as a result. I've heard the Romans had about 100 public holidays\festivals a year, but only one day off in a week and no days off for many. When they did swim, it was either in the nude or the underwear of the time and there are surviving pictures of both styles. The idea of a bathing suit is a product of the prudishness of the Victorian era (or so). People wanted to swim but remain chaste and modest, so they invented clothes that had the nasty habit of making it a lot easier to drown. One wonders what Basitins wear to the beach.

Also, 480 AD was roughly the 4,000th year of human civilization, starting from the first proper cities. The first villages with hundreds of inhabitants were something like 12,000 years ago. Magic really does wonder for you're development rate.
Not to mention athletic events (like The Olympics) were all done traditionally in the nude (and all male, but we're talking about a male character here).

Yastreb
Apprentice

#29 Post by Yastreb »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:26 am Well up to the middle 1950 a two piece swimsuit was the raciest thing your could wear in public and even that was considered exposing too much. Before that you used one piece swimsuit that covered everything when going to the beach. So yeah they are less modest than comparable real humans.
That is wrong in so many ways.

In pre-Meiji Japan for example nudity was not a taboo and people of both genders used the same communal bathhouses. In the early Middle Ages in Europe culture was similar in this respect and it was normal to sleep and bath naked in the presence of others. In Sparta public nudity for both men and women was nothing out of usual. I could go on.

We don't know much about history of Mekkan, such as what event was their year 1 or year 0. The our world year of 480 CE was also the year 1024, 1233, 1430, 1646, 2813 or 5230 depending on which culture you ask. Making assumptions about society based on a complitely arbitrary number is absolutely ridiculous.

Recreational swimming has been a thing likely since the prehistoric times.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#30 Post by Bellhead »

Yastreb wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:25 pm
Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:26 am Well up to the middle 1950 a two piece swimsuit was the raciest thing your could wear in public and even that was considered exposing too much. Before that you used one piece swimsuit that covered everything when going to the beach. So yeah they are less modest than comparable real humans.
That is wrong in so many ways.

In pre-Meiji Japan for example nudity was not a taboo and people of both genders used the same communal bathhouses. In the early Middle Ages in Europe culture was similar in this respect and it was normal to sleep and bath naked in the presence of others. In Sparta public nudity for both men and women was nothing out of usual. I could go on.

We don't know much about history of Mekkan, such as what event was their year 1 or year 0. The our world year of 480 CE was also the year 1024, 1233, 1430, 1646, 2813 or 5230 depending on which culture you ask. Making assumptions about society based on a complitely arbitrary number is absolutely ridiculous.

Recreational swimming has been a thing likely since the prehistoric times.
I'll mention Alaric, specifically Here. Even for a species as prudish as the Basitin, it is still acceptable for multiple people to bathe together in public bath houses. I would think nudity in those circumstances would only be unacceptable in any society that either is irrationally prudish, is not advanced enough for private running water, or both.