The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Aevere
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

Comic for July 22, 2020: Trapped in the Middle

#1 Post by Aevere »

sketch - http://twokindscomic.com/images/20200722_sketch.png

Get that "Stuff gonna happen" vibe now. All the threads are being tied together.

TheMasterOfOats
Apprentice
Fav. Twokinds Character: Florence Ambrose

Re: Comic for July 22, 2020: Trapped in the Middle

#2 Post by TheMasterOfOats »

Good page. That panel of Evals in the middle looks a lot like Zen. But dang, “Maren” appears, even after Trace just heard “the body is prepared.”

I’m getting chills rn.

You’re welcome.
Mr. The master of Oats, master of Oats Canada and Canada Oats, in Oats, Canada.

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#3 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Heh, your post beat mine by 1 minute.

And oof, this comic is at least 3 different kinds of uh-oh...

First, one of the other voices shows up. This is a red-on-black one, as opposed to the blue-green Rose voice, so presumably a different entity, probably one of the two (?) from comic 1092. And that shadow figure behind Trace that appears like it might be the origin doesn't look like Rose. In fact, it looks like Trace... Cue our previous speculations about either dark!Trace finding a way out or him having left some sort of magical 'ai' or projection of himself in the mansion? Regardless, definitely Not Good.

Second, still fighting in the beach room, and not only that but Mike's line suggests that the rest of the group is separated from Reni. Last time we saw them Natani's dialogue seemed to suggest that they were hoping Reni could keep the guardians away and they were only going to fight anything that got past her, but now it seems that Reni is fighting some of the guardians on one side of the room and that Natani and Red are maybe holding off more of them on the other side of the room, which isn't very good either. (Also, where's Eric? Raine and Keith were with Red and Natani as of the last time we saw the beach room, but Eric hasn't been seen since comic 1087, before everything went sideways. Did he just leave the beach party at some point, or is he around somewhere?)

And, of course, more fog in the beach room, and like last time it heralds the arrival of bad news. We know Maren is in the rose garden, so whatever has shown up, it presumably isn't her. But what *is* it? And what is it trying to do? Presumably it's got something to do with the mansion's magical defenses and is related to everything else that's going on, but why would it want Karen? Unlike her sister, she's not important as far as we know. Whatever it's up to, though, I'm sure we can assume it's not good either. (Edit: Karen also looks to her *right*, which from where she's at would be off the end of the pool, so the 'Maren' voice is coming from somewhere down towards the beach? As in, very close to Mike and Evals? :o)

So yeah. How many different flavors of Nope can we pack into one comic? Find out next time, on Twokinds!

Rafe
Council Member

#4 Post by Rafe »

I originally thought that the image in the lower crystal on the last page was another image of Rose, but when you look at it, it's wearing a top of some kind. Maybe it's Maren, maybe Saria, maybe something in-between.

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#5 Post by tony1695 »

Rafe wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:24 am I originally thought that the image in the lower crystal on the last page was another image of Rose, but when you look at it, it's wearing a top of some kind. Maybe it's Maren, maybe Saria, maybe something in-between.

Is Maren actually present in the crystal, or is it just a scrying crystal of sorts? For all we know whatever process 'prepares' the body can do it through the tables. Might be the intended method, to make it harder for anyone to interfere.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

#6 Post by BadFoMo »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:37 am(Also, where's Eric? Raine and Keith were with Red and Natani as of the last time we saw the beach room, but Eric hasn't been seen since comic 1087, before everything went sideways. Did he just leave the beach party at some point, or is he around somewhere?)
Based on this page (which also doesn't show Keith or Natani [make of that what you will]), I'm going to say he left.
MuonNeutrino wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:37 amWe know Maren is in the rose garden, so whatever has shown up, it presumably isn't her. But what *is* it? And what is it trying to do? Presumably it's got something to do with the mansion's magical defenses and is related to everything else that's going on, but why would it want Karen? Unlike her sister, she's not important as far as we know. Whatever it's up to, though, I'm sure we can assume it's not good either.
I can think of two things

1. Maren is now like Rose. She's hooked up to the mansion; just say her name and there she is. I don't know is that's a bug or a feature.

2. Karen is a 'loose end' this is an automated system to 'take care' of that loose end.

Anyway, is it just me, or does it look like Trace_Dark's rib cage is exposed (It looks a little cool)?

P.S. Did this get updated before I got here?
Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

Canis Rufus
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#7 Post by Canis Rufus »

I'm actually more hopefull following this comic.

What we seem to have is rose tied into the mansion as a kind of Glados Mainframe. and some kind of imprint or AI of dark trace also in the system to oversee "The Plan".

If I had to guess I'd say Rose took care of the day to day running of the estate, and the Dark Trace AI was there to take over when things were right for, what seems to be soem sort of dark magic resurection ritual to put Saria's soul in Marin's body. But there are a few things that have happened that I don't think were in the plan.

1) Rose seems to have started to accept that Trace HAS changed and deserves a chance at redemption. http://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/1033/

2) A mysterious voice (The shadow trace maybe? Though it's not in red) was NOT happy when Trace lifted Rose's restrictions http://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/1054/

I'd assume this series of events was some automated thing set up to lock out Rose and have Shadow Trace take over once everything was ready. But now we have a more likely to be sympathetic Rose, with more control that she's supposed to have in the equation. If we end up in a Trace/Shadow Trace confontation of some sort, a Rose who can still acess the power of the estate, or some of it, and decides to side with our Trace could be a big factor tipping the balance.

As regards the whereabouts of the others... Marin seemed to be teleported so is probably actualy in that crystal, and spoke to Karin because...um... it's linked her in with the mansion's systems and because of Rose's restrictions being lifted, the Rose Garden is no longer isolated from the rest of the estate. Scythe... probalby left behind in his room. Eric, maybe went back to his room earlier? Are they also under attack, or perhaps just locked in in an estate lockdown to be dealt with later, as the pool room with the magic users, trained soildiers and dragon is probably the highest priority to "deal with".

... So anyway... a few wild speculative guesses that are probably wrong, but seem logical to me.

stlsf4003
Apprentice

#8 Post by stlsf4003 »

BadFoMo wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:12 am
MuonNeutrino wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:37 am(Also, where's Eric? Raine and Keith were with Red and Natani as of the last time we saw the beach room, but Eric hasn't been seen since comic 1087, before everything went sideways. Did he just leave the beach party at some point, or is he around somewhere?)
Based on this page (which also doesn't show Keith or Natani [make of that what you will]), I'm going to say he left.
MuonNeutrino wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:37 amWe know Maren is in the rose garden, so whatever has shown up, it presumably isn't her. But what *is* it? And what is it trying to do? Presumably it's got something to do with the mansion's magical defenses and is related to everything else that's going on, but why would it want Karen? Unlike her sister, she's not important as far as we know. Whatever it's up to, though, I'm sure we can assume it's not good either.
I can think of two things

1. Maren is now like Rose. She's hooked up to the mansion; just say her name and there she is. I don't know is that's a bug or a feature.

2. Karen is a 'loose end' this is an automated system to 'take care' of that loose end.

Anyway, is it just me, or does it look like Trace_Dark's rib cage is exposed (It looks a little cool)?

P.S. Did this get updated before I got here?
I just noticed that last bit, so it's a pretty good bet that whatever that thing was is more then likely not in one piece. :shock:

I'll tell ya what though, Tom's really pulling out all the stops on this chapter, no doubt about that!

Honestly, if you had told me way back in 2015 when i first discovered the series, that this was what it all was building up to? I Don't think i would of believe it.

All i can say now is that this train ain't got no brakes and we'er just along for the ride at this point!
Best hang on tight!
the lurking furry railroader

Aevere
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#9 Post by Aevere »

BadFoMo wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:12 am P.S. Did this get updated before I got here?
I don't think so. I downloaded the first version and can't see any differences when comparing against the live version.

Here it is if you want to check though - https://i.imgur.com/FT85lkE.png

Eclipse
Templar Master

#10 Post by Eclipse »

Jeez, just when you think this comic can't possibly get any darker, the next week proves you wrong. It's like Puella Magi Madoka Magica all over again.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#11 Post by Bellhead »

I'm just going to say it now, that thing behind panel 2 has to be some kind of representation of Trace. That hairdo is way too iconic to be one of the wolves that I thought they were in the previous chapter. And if that's the case...

I agree it has to be some kind of AI, or magic clone or something. Like Rose said, he was quite paranoid at the end there, and like I theorized before, I bet he was too paranoid to trust anyone but himself. Or at least a copy of himself.

And judging by the transcript, Rose said those words in red, lending credence to the idea that they're two entities. Or she could just be a split personality now... I mean, we have a clue what dark magic infection does to the mind of the caster when used, but what about if it brought you back from the dead?

Oh, I don't like this. It's gonna get worse still, I can feel it.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

PkmnTrainerLucas
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve

#12 Post by PkmnTrainerLucas »

There's a lot of things that got my attention on this page, and for some reason one of them is that sandal made for Keidran paws! 😅😂

MatyMaty
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: Sythe

#13 Post by MatyMaty »

Isn't the figure behind Trace whoever this individual is?

http://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/1099/

It seems to have the cape and the same hair. Red haired Trace?

Piece_of_Paper
Citizen

#14 Post by Piece_of_Paper »

Snerk!
Panel 5 ... BONK!! Great use of a flip-flop. :heart:
Can I borrow a piece of paper?
This would drive my professor nuts ..."It's A Sheet Of Paper!"
So I use that screen name else where.

Yastreb
Apprentice
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith

#15 Post by Yastreb »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:37 am Edit: Karen also looks to her *right*, which from where she's at would be off the end of the pool, so the 'Maren' voice is coming from somewhere down towards the beach? As in, very close to Mike and Evals? :o
No, the exact opposite. Karen is at the end of the pool that is towards the beach. Mike and Evals are directly below and in front of her. Karen turns back to see that Maren thing, meaning it is at or near the entrance.
PkmnTrainerLucas wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:33 am There's a lot of things that got my attention on this page, and for some reason one of them is that sandal made for Keidran paws! 😅😂
Thanks for pointing it out! :grin: I love little worldbuilding details like that, and it has often bothered me in anthro comics that there seems to be absolutely no shoes for the digitigrade.