Comic for June 27, 2020: The Painting Pt. 2

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Sky Shatter
Citizen

Re: Comic for June 27, 2020: The Painting Pt. 2

#46 Post by Sky Shatter »

I think way too much meaning is being placed on Rose calling him "Master" again. It's not a stretch to assume she harbors bitterness over what Trace seems to have done to her, so despite their improved relationship, she still has the motivation to work in some subtext. Rather than anything sinister, her calling him "Master" is basically just her saying "yeah, now you get it."

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#47 Post by AmigaDragon »

Since he told her to call him Trace instead of Master, she might still use "Master" or "Sir" in public, "Trace" only in private, the same as using her serious matron voice over her normal drawl.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Cosmacelf
Apprentice

#48 Post by Cosmacelf »

Sky Shatter wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:07 pm I think way too much meaning is being placed on Rose calling him "Master" again. It's not a stretch to assume she harbors bitterness over what Trace seems to have done to her, so despite their improved relationship, she still has the motivation to work in some subtext. Rather than anything sinister, her calling him "Master" is basically just her saying "yeah, now you get it."
I am really hoping this is the interpretation!

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#49 Post by Technic[Bot] »

You know.
I expect next comic we will switch to Raine and the others again and we won't hear about Rose for at least another 2 weeks.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#50 Post by Bellhead »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:52 pm You know.
I expect next comic we will switch to Raine and the others again and we won't hear about Rose for at least another 2 weeks.
Sad but true. We haven't seen them in a while. Then again, every single page is a bit of a cliffhanger, so who knows?
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

#51 Post by BadFoMo »

Bellhead wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:41 pm
Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:52 pmYou know.
Sad but true. We haven't seen them in a while. Then again, every single page is a bit of a cliffhanger, so who knows?
Yeah, I can see that happening too.

Also, I have a (most likely incorrect due to it being too much of a 180 for what’s been setup) theory for what else the date could mean.

We know that Rose might be able to do that Flawless Transformation that Euchre can do too. Maybe she also has the longer lifespan too and the date is just how long she was officially employed there.

Why she’s still there; maybe she’s like Mike and has been away from other Keidran for so long that she’s like a Human in a Keidran’s body.

Also, if I were Trace, I would be terrified to turn around now. Anyone else feel the same way?

Anyway, here’s the transcript in case Iliar didn’t do it.
I also tried something different here where if multiple Speech Bubbles were used, the text doesn’t have blanks lines between them.

Code: Select all

**Trace:** Hang on. Something's not right.

**Flora:** What's the matter, Trace?

**Trace:** Look at the dust.
**Trace:** Everything in this room hasn't been touched in years.
**Trace:** But it almost looks like someone set this painting down recently.

**Flora:** Huh? You're right. It was probably on a wall somewhere before, like the others.

**Flora:** It must have been Rose who moved it.
**Flora:** But... why would she take a painting of herself off a wall and hide it in here?
**Flora:** Unless...

**Flora: _A-AH!_**

**Trace: _Flora?!_**
**Trace:** Flora, what is it?! What's wrong?

**Flora:** Trace... look at the painting.

**Trace:** What? It's just a painting. I don't see..
GASP

ROSELYN
SENESCHAL OF THE LEGACY ESTATE
454 - 480

**Trace:** Rose...?

**Rose:** Yes... master?

_Page transcript provided by BadFoMo_
Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#52 Post by Technic[Bot] »

BadFoMo wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:23 pm -snipped quotes-

Yeah, I can see that happening too.

Also, I have a (most likely incorrect due to it being too much of a 180 for what’s been setup) theory for what else the date could mean.

We know that Rose might be able to do that Flawless Transformation that Euchre can do too. Maybe she also has the longer lifespan too and the date is just how long she was officially employed there.

Why she’s still there; maybe she’s like Mike and has been away from other Keidran for so long that she’s like a Human in a Keidran’s body.

Anyway, here’s the transcript in case Iliar didn’t do it.
I also tried something different here where if multiple Speech Bubbles were used, the text doesn’t have blanks lines between them.

Code: Select all

-Snipped Trasncript-
That would be the biggest red-herring Tom could pull at the moment. But it could make sense, specially if he decides to go all cliffhanger and switch back to team B. After all most palaces and castles do have paintings of every lord and or important person that served there and their dates of "employment".
Also we really do not know how aging seems to work when transformed. Tom has insisted that Raine, and by extension euchre, age at the same rate regardless of form. Yet if you are able to "perfectly transform" into something else and basically at no cost. What stops you to tweaking your physiology to age significantly slower, or for that matter, to simply rejuvenate yourself every couple of years?
Also in some sketches it has being implied that while Raine's and Euchre transformation is perfect Rose's is perfect only "on the outside".
BadFoMo wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:23 pm Also, if I were Trace, I would be terrified to turn around now. Anyone else feel the same way?
I do. In fact I am slightly glad the comic did not updated this week since then i do not have to find out what kind of monster Rose ends up being.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#53 Post by MuonNeutrino »

BadFoMo wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:23 pm Also, I have a (most likely incorrect due to it being too much of a 180 for what’s been setup) theory for what else the date could mean.

It's a neat idea, but unfortunately the start date doesn't make sense in that interpretation. It lists a span of 454-480, which is 26 years, and there's no way Rose (or any keidran) was Seneschal there for 26 years. It'd be impossible for a keidran in general, and we know that Rose in particular didn't even meet Saria until she was 9 or 10 (given her age being listed as 9 'in flashbacks' on her character sheet), which would have been 18-19 years ago, in 463-464ish. So I don't see any other way to interpret it other than birth and death dates. (Or the first date would have to be a birth date and the second an 'end of employment' date, which would be a rather strange way to make the plaque.)

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#54 Post by Bellhead »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:27 pm Also we really do not know how aging seems to work when transformed. Tom has insisted that Raine, and by extension euchre, age at the same rate regardless of form. Yet if you are able to "perfectly transform" into something else and basically at no cost. What stops you to tweaking your physiology to age significantly slower, or for that matter, to simply rejuvenate yourself every couple of years?
Might be remembering this wrong, but I remember differently. From what I recall, they age at the rate of whatever form they're in, starting at the relative age they're at at time of transformation, but while they age at the rate of their current form, their time spent (as a human aging 1 year, for instance) would all come back at once.

The way I understood it, if one of them spend the first 30 years of their life as a human without shifting, they'd be a 30-year-old human. If they were to shift back, they'd die of old age almost immediately. And if they didn't, then the next shift they did would yield a VERY old human.

Do I remember that right? This topic has been retconned over the years...
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Cosmacelf
Apprentice

#55 Post by Cosmacelf »

Bellhead wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:35 pm
Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:27 pm Also we really do not know how aging seems to work when transformed. Tom has insisted that Raine, and by extension euchre, age at the same rate regardless of form. Yet if you are able to "perfectly transform" into something else and basically at no cost. What stops you to tweaking your physiology to age significantly slower, or for that matter, to simply rejuvenate yourself every couple of years?
Might be remembering this wrong, but I remember differently. From what I recall, they age at the rate of whatever form they're in, starting at the relative age they're at at time of transformation, but while they age at the rate of their current form, their time spent (as a human aging 1 year, for instance) would all come back at once.

The way I understood it, if one of them spend the first 30 years of their life as a human without shifting, they'd be a 30-year-old human. If they were to shift back, they'd die of old age almost immediately. And if they didn't, then the next shift they did would yield a VERY old human.

That would explain Euchre's unusually old age.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#56 Post by Bellhead »

Cosmacelf wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:11 pm
Bellhead wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:35 pm

That would explain Euchre's unusually old age.
.. Actually, he really IS unusually old. Euchre has extended his life through "unnatural means", as stated by Tom a few years back. We still don't know how.

Josh.C
Citizen

#57 Post by Josh.C »

I'm getting real Silent Hill the room vibes from these couple of chapters and this panel is really screaming that now.

Kyrit
Templar

#58 Post by Kyrit »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:13 pm
BadFoMo wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:23 pm Also, I have a (most likely incorrect due to it being too much of a 180 for what’s been setup) theory for what else the date could mean.

It's a neat idea, but unfortunately the start date doesn't make sense in that interpretation. It lists a span of 454-480, which is 26 years, and there's no way Rose (or any keidran) was Seneschal there for 26 years. It'd be impossible for a keidran in general, and we know that Rose in particular didn't even meet Saria until she was 9 or 10 (given her age being listed as 9 'in flashbacks' on her character sheet), which would have been 18-19 years ago, in 463-464ish. So I don't see any other way to interpret it other than birth and death dates. (Or the first date would have to be a birth date and the second an 'end of employment' date, which would be a rather strange way to make the plaque.)
Haven't popped in for a long time since I just don't have time for long posts these days, but decided to add in; Trace is only 24, so yeah. He definitely didn't employ her at -2 years old

Josh.C
Citizen

#59 Post by Josh.C »

Kyrit wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:50 pm
MuonNeutrino wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:13 pm

Haven't popped in for a long time since I just don't have time for long posts these days, but decided to add in; Trace is only 24, so yeah. He definitely didn't employ her at -2 years old
Another possibility to consider is that it might be that certain Keidran species age differently then others. Perhaps white wolves have a longer life span then other Keidran.

With the spell perfect change being inherited through blood, the pregnancy of Flora and this weird mystery of just how old is Rose. It makes me wonder if Raine's bloodline might have had some connection to that species that the masks might have had a hand in them going extinct.

oldfox1406
Fav. Twokinds Character: Trace

#60 Post by oldfox1406 »

Bellhead wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:17 am
.. Actually, he really IS unusually old. Euchre has extended his life through "unnatural means", as stated by Tom a few years back. We still don't know how.
Maybe Trace cut his proverbial necromancy teeth with Euchre. :)

Anyone else notice the red glow of Rose's eyes and the additional red glowing eyes behind her??