The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Re: Comic for June 13, 2020: Working Together

#16 Post by Bellhead »

tony1695 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:37 am
Bellhead wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:49 am Tom once said, in response to a similar question, the keidran languages (high keidran for nobility and such, and low keidran for everyone else) are made primarily of growl and grunt-type noises. How that would actually sound, I have no idea, but that's what I remember.
How old is that comment? Good chance that's been retconned (or quietly forgotten) if it was near the start of the comic.
It's pretty old, from a stream. Don't remember when, but it was a few years ago. And there was that time early on, when Flora tried to teach Trace keidran. Ch'rall and marlch'ren, if my spelling is right.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#17 Post by aitaituo »

Bellhead wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:49 am Tom once said, in response to a similar question, the keidran languages (high keidran for nobility and such, and low keidran for everyone else) are made primarily of growl and grunt-type noises. How that would actually sound, I have no idea, but that's what I remember.
How old is that comment? Good chance that's been retconned (or quietly forgotten) if it was near the start of the comic.
It is pretty old, but there is still the Keidran words that Flora taught Trace and they don't resemble English at all.

Titanium Dragon
Traveler

#18 Post by Titanium Dragon »

The impression I got from "detritus" was that it was Rose referring to the guests in the room as "detritus". Very menacing and dehumanizing.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#19 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Bellhead wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:45 am
It's pretty old, from a stream. Don't remember when, but it was a few years ago. And there was that time early on, when Flora tried to teach Trace keidran. Ch'rall and marlch'ren, if my spelling is right.
I think not long ago Tom appeared on the comic chat room and answered some lore questions for quite a while and it mentioned the language thing againn. Mr FoMo kindly archived the conversation : List of Lore*

Personally I imagine Keidran sounds like German but with a healthy dose of french, the highes keidran would be more french and the low keidran more german. Basitin might sound like any native language from Hawaii, maybe or maybe even asian, like Korean. And human is probably sounds like English. Again that is just my head canon

*Turns out that was almost two years ago, I have been here over 2 years nowhow time flies! and no there is no reference to Keidran language in there. Seems like my memory is playing tricks on me....
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Tyr
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#20 Post by Tyr »

steelabjur wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:25 pm
Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:41 pm *Also can someone explain the A!B notation? I have seen it using when referring to old Trace on shipping and even Fire emblem but i do not really understand it.
From what I understand, it's just a quick way of referring to a specific version of a character, Evil!Trace, Male!Clovis, or Fem!Mike, for example.
Because I'm an insufferable know-it-all, I must elaborate. it was originally a way to distinguish which department you wanted to send an electronic message to back in the very earliest days of computers being linked in networks at universities, e.g. if you want to send a message to Tom in the Art department, you'd put Art!Tom as the recipient of your message. to reach Tyr in Theater, you'd send the message to Theater!Tyr, et cetera.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#21 Post by Warrl »

In the very-early days of the internet, before automated routing got figured out, any given machine only knew about routers and servers it was connected to. So if you wanted to send a message to someone that used a different server, you had to give the complete route from your server to theirs - in what was called a "bang path" because it would have ! between server names.

Ddraig
Templar Master

#22 Post by Ddraig »

Titanium Dragon wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:12 pm The impression I got from "detritus" was that it was Rose referring to the guests in the room as "detritus". Very menacing and dehumanizing.
My impression was the other way around - that something was referring to Rose as "detritus". i.e. the remains of old Old Trace's life that he'd kept around despite being long past when they should have, well, passed under normal circumstances. Whatever the dark and foreboding presence in the manor is, it seems to have similar objectives to evil Trace, so I assume it wouldn't be referring to the (mostly human and friends of Trace, new and old) guests
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything, but it's wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it always finds that darkness has gotten there first, and is waiting for it."

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#23 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Tyr wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:13 pm
steelabjur wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:25 pm
Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:41 pm *Also can someone explain the A!B notation? I have seen it using when referring to old Trace on shipping and even Fire emblem but i do not really understand it.
From what I understand, it's just a quick way of referring to a specific version of a character, Evil!Trace, Male!Clovis, or Fem!Mike, for example.
Because I'm an insufferable know-it-all, I must elaborate. it was originally a way to distinguish which department you wanted to send an electronic message to back in the very earliest days of computers being linked in networks at universities, e.g. if you want to send a message to Tom in the Art department, you'd put Art!Tom as the recipient of your message. to reach Tyr in Theater, you'd send the message to Theater!Tyr, et cetera.
Please do not apology about that, thought try not to offer information unless requested. That is quite interesting and honestly it is something i should know. Thanks!
Warrl wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:35 am In the very-early days of the internet, before automated routing got figured out, any given machine only knew about routers and servers it was connected to. So if you wanted to send a message to someone that used a different server, you had to give the complete route from your server to theirs - in what was called a "bang path" because it would have ! between server names.
Thanks a lot for the name, I am not old enough to have used uucp but it is goo to now.

Ddraig wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:37 am
Titanium Dragon wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:12 pm The impression I got from "detritus" was that it was Rose referring to the guests in the room as "detritus". Very menacing and dehumanizing.
My impression was the other way around - that something was referring to Rose as "detritus". i.e. the remains of old Old Trace's life that he'd kept around despite being long past when they should have, well, passed under normal circumstances. Whatever the dark and foreboding presence in the manor is, it seems to have similar objectives to evil Trace, so I assume it wouldn't be referring to the (mostly human and friends of Trace, new and old) guests
That makes a surprising amount of sense, we know there seems to be more than one entity on the manor besides Rose. I imagine Trace needed a evil Siri to use in his necromancy experiments and Rose simply deals with the normal mansion stuff.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

SharkyNebula
Fav. Twokinds Character: Yeet

#24 Post by SharkyNebula »

This is my impression as well. Their resistance has caught her attention and she's calling them "scattered trash" in response.

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#25 Post by aitaituo »

Ddraig's idea was my first impression, but Titanium's idea was my second. We understand so little of the manor and of Rose that I think either is plausible. The evil voices might be a Rose if she is more like a magical program than a living being. Personally, I still think the voices of the mansion are the same entity as evil black smoke thing and Rose is just unusually old for a keidran.

Yastreb
Apprentice
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith

#26 Post by Yastreb »

aitaituo wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:11 am
Ddraig's idea was my first impression, but Titanium's idea was my second. We understand so little of the manor and of Rose that I think either is plausible. The evil voices might be a Rose if she is more like a magical program than a living being. Personally, I still think the voices of the mansion are the same entity as evil black smoke thing and Rose is just unusually old for a keidran.
The Evil Black Smoke Hallucination is inside Trace's head, it's one side of his own personality.

S'aaruuk
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: King Adelaide

#27 Post by S'aaruuk »

This may be completely from out of left field, but given how surprised Rose was at Raine's power, shattering that slave collar, when only her modesty was challenged/threatened. Could this room somehow be a test to see just how powerful she actually is if pushed hard/far enough?

If Natani and Red can't handle all the statues that get past Reni together, could it be that it will take the combined effort of Natani, Red and Raine to do so as well as break out of this room?

She's basically untrained and Rose said she'd teach her how to control her power, but could this be some kind of endevour to test the limits of Raine's powers?

Ddraig
Templar Master

#28 Post by Ddraig »

Yastreb wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:10 am
aitaituo wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:11 am
The Evil Black Smoke Hallucination is inside Trace's head, it's one side of his own personality.
There is an entity similar to the Evil Black Smoke Hallucination that lives in the Manor, but it is distinct and separate. I assume it was the Manor Entity that aitaituo meant, tho (s)he said Trace's internal resident.
S'aaruuk wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:46 pm This may be completely from out of left field, but given how surprised Rose was at Raine's power, shattering that slave collar, when only her modesty was challenged/threatened. Could this room somehow be a test to see just how powerful she actually is if pushed hard/far enough?

If Natani and Red can't handle all the statues that get past Reni together, could it be that it will take the combined effort of Natani, Red and Raine to do so as well as break out of this room?

She's basically untrained and Rose said she'd teach her how to control her power, but could this be some kind of endevour to test the limits of Raine's powers?
If the Beach Room events were happening on their own, I'd agree it's possible (tho unlikely), but Maren is also endangered elsewhere and Rose isn't responding to Trace in yet a third location in the Manor
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything, but it's wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it always finds that darkness has gotten there first, and is waiting for it."

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#29 Post by Bellhead »

S'aaruuk wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:46 pm This may be completely from out of left field, but given how surprised Rose was at Raine's power, shattering that slave collar, when only her modesty was challenged/threatened. Could this room somehow be a test to see just how powerful she actually is if pushed hard/far enough?

Possible, but very unlikely. Given the time when all this happened, it's safe to assume whatever is happening here is not at all related to Raine's training, but moreso Maren's disappearance.

That said, it may very well test her magical abilities and limits, though she knows absolutely no spells and has only enough skill to change forms under duress, a natural skill for her family, and only once at that. It's been a floating question for a while as to whether or not Raine's powers will become necessary for their escape, but the general consensus is "probably not".
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#30 Post by Warrl »

Bellhead wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:39 pmIt's been a floating question for a while as to whether or not Raine's powers will become necessary for their escape, but the general consensus is "probably not".
With the emphasis on "probably".

The catch, of course, is that there may be more than one way for them to get out of this alive, and even if Raine's power isn't necessary (i.e. there's at least one way where it doesn't feature) the way they actually use may rely on it.