ERIC JUST KISS HER ALREADY

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Warrl
Grand Templar

Re: ERIC JUST KISS HER ALREADY

#16 Post by Warrl »

You know, in real life everyone has their own story and some other people wander into it, play a part for a while, and quietly wander out again to continue their own stories elsewhere. No need for a dramatic death. Or even a dramatic exit.

Maybe over the course of maybe five updates we see in the background:
1) Eric in a quiet conversation with Mike and Evals
2) Eric in a quiet conversation with Kat
3) Eric with his luggage packed heading out the door, accompanied by 0-3 of the aforementioned.

wynter
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora

#17 Post by wynter »

Eclipse wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:53 am
Technic[Bot] wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:02 am Personally the first time i saw Eric i was sure he was not gonna survive the Basitin Islands, neither Kat for that matter, considering the chapter ended with a huge explosions I thought it would be a good moment to "write out" characters that had little growth opportunity and/or were not liked enough and/or Tom simple stopped wanted to write. I was surprised he survided, as you point out he is not just some harmless pervert he is a terrible person, with charm but horrible at the end. I have no idea why Tom decided to keep him around or what plans he has for that character.
Yeah, it's really hard to see what he has planned for Eric now. He hasn't played much of a role since Team A landed in Edenmire and his slaves are all being freed, so what's next for him? I could see him getting killed off in this chapter if Tom doesn't have anywhere else to go with his character, maybe in the Basitin Islands arc him dying would raise the question of who could captain the Na'Rella, but now that they're back on the mainland and the Na'Rella is a pile of wood at the bottom of the Edenmire docks, that's no longer an issue. And the other characters associated with him can easily move on, Mike and Evals are free and heading off who knows where, Kat could fall in love with Zen instead of him, and the rest of Team A doesn't really need his services, so he can easily be written out of the story.
Yeah, I suppose he really hasn't done much lately. I wouldn't be surprised if he did get offed in some way. Maybe Kat's "loss" would prompt her to look to someone (namely Zen) for comfort, and something goes from there?
:flora: 'Ey! Mr'at's ra'shist! NOM!

Eclipse
Templar Master

#18 Post by Eclipse »

Warrl wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:01 am You know, in real life everyone has their own story and some other people wander into it, play a part for a while, and quietly wander out again to continue their own stories elsewhere. No need for a dramatic death. Or even a dramatic exit.

3) Eric with his luggage packed heading out the door, accompanied by 0-3 of the aforementioned.
Yeah, no, that's not happening. Even IRL, it would be rude for Eric to leave without saying goodbye to the rest of Team A. That's the very least that would have to happen if he's being written out like that.

wynter
Traveler

#19 Post by wynter »

Eclipse wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:30 am
Warrl wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:01 am You know, in real life everyone has their own story and some other people wander into it, play a part for a while, and quietly wander out again to continue their own stories elsewhere. No need for a dramatic death. Or even a dramatic exit.

Yeah, no, that's not happening. Even IRL, it would be rude for Eric to leave without saying goodbye to the rest of Team A. That's the very least that would have to happen if he's being written out like that.
Even he's not THAT much of an [censored]
But yeah, I have a feeling he's gonna go bubye soon

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#20 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:02 am Personally the first time i saw Eric i was sure he was not gonna survive the Basitin Islands, neither Kat for that matter, considering the chapter ended with a huge explosions I thought it would be a good moment to "write out" characters that had little growth opportunity and/or were not liked enough and/or Tom simple stopped wanted to write. I was surprised he survided, as you point out he is not just some harmless pervert he is a terrible person, with charm but horrible at the end. I have no idea why Tom decided to keep him around or what plans he has for that character.
Yeah, it's really hard to see what he has planned for Eric now. He hasn't played much of a role since Team A landed in Edenmire and his slaves are all being freed, so what's next for him? I could see him getting killed off in this chapter if Tom doesn't have anywhere else to go with his character, maybe in the Basitin Islands arc him dying would raise the question of who could captain the Na'Rella, but now that they're back on the mainland and the Na'Rella is a pile of wood at the bottom of the Edenmire docks, that's no longer an issue. And the other characters associated with him can easily move on, Mike and Evals are free and heading off who knows where, Kat could fall in love with Zen instead of him, and the rest of Team A doesn't really need his services, so he can easily be written out of the story.
Even if he had died back then there was a case to be made for Kat receiving the narela after his death. After all she is a free keidran, if I recall and acoording to Eric his sister.
And even if that were not the case. I doubt Trace and co would have bother with the legality of seizing Eric's ship in case of his demise.
wynter wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:32 pm
Eclipse wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:30 am

Even he's not THAT much of an [censored]
But yeah, I have a feeling he's gonna go bubye soon
Under normal circumstances I would expect Eric to return to his hometown with Kat. However there is a war going on and it has been implied his hometown was razed in a wolf attack. And with the sinking of his shop he is basically destitute at this point despite not knowing it. So I am pretty sure he will tag along the rest to LynKnoll. If he survives of course
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Warrl
Grand Templar

#21 Post by Warrl »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:01 amUnder normal circumstances I would expect Eric to return to his hometown with Kat. However there is a war going on and it has been implied his hometown was razed in a wolf attack. And with the sinking of his shop he is basically destitute at this point despite not knowing it. So I am pretty sure he will tag along the rest to LynKnoll. If he survives of course
1) You correctly note that Wreathwood is reported to have been razed. So Eric probably isn't going THERE at this time. (Note: the report of the razing is apparently the only time Wreathwood is named *in the comic*. According to the search engine. But the archive index names it, and Group A meets Eric in that chapter.)
2) Whether Kat would go with him is open to question. Not offering any answer to that question. Just pointing out that it isn't a sure thing.
3) Eric apparently still owns at least one ship. Unless it happens to have been destroyed, but we've seen no report to that effect. (Still possible, of course.) Him going to Lyn'knoll at this time wouldn't make a lot of sense while he still owns, or thinks he still owns, one or more slave-trading ships - whether he choose to continue in that profession, or to alter or dispose of those ships and do something else.

I think the next part of Eric's story is going to include quite a lot of soul-searching as he tries to reconcile what he had learned - and done - in the past, against what he's learned since leaving Basitin Island. But there is no specific person or place that is strictly necessary to that story, nor is he obviously necessary to the next part of anyone else's story. So he COULD depart, perhaps aboard one of his ships that conveniently shows up at Edinmire port. I'm guessing that Evals might go with him to get a ride part-way back home to the dog lands, and Kat might decide to stay with him since he's sort of family. (Or, either or both might not.) But Mike probably WON'T go with Evals - and therefore won't hitch a ride part way to the dog lands - because, as he once put it, his culture is human. It would make some limited sense for him to stay with Kat wherever she goes, but not really with Eric (without Kat); he can arrange a better situation at the Legacy estate or in Edinmire or aboard a (not-slaver) merchant ship, or go with the group to Lyn'knoll.

Eclipse
Templar Master

#22 Post by Eclipse »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:01 am
Even if he had died back then there was a case to be made for Kat receiving the narela after his death. After all she is a free keidran, if I recall and acoording to Eric his sister.
And even if that were not the case. I doubt Trace and co would have bother with the legality of seizing Eric's ship in case of his demise.
The legality of who owns the Na'Rella isn't the issue, it's a matter of who actually knows how to drive it and take care of it enough to get them back to the mainland in one piece. Also, Kat wasn't free the whole time, Eric just never used a control spell on her. If Eric were to have died he couldn't leave the Na'rella to any of his slaves because they're still property. They (unfortunately) would probably have to be given to Roderick.
Warrl wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:45 am 3) Eric apparently still owns at least one ship. Unless it happens to have been destroyed, but we've seen no report to that effect. (Still possible, of course.) Him going to Lyn'knoll at this time wouldn't make a lot of sense while he still owns, or thinks he still owns, one or more slave-trading ships - whether he choose to continue in that profession, or to alter or dispose of those ships and do something else.
I doubt he'd be very welcome there as is anyway, they probably don't look to kindly on slave owners.
Warrl wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:45 am I think the next part of Eric's story is going to include quite a lot of soul-searching as he tries to reconcile what he had learned - and done - in the past, against what he's learned since leaving Basitin Island. But there is no specific person or place that is strictly necessary to that story, nor is he obviously necessary to the next part of anyone else's story. So he COULD depart, perhaps aboard one of his ships that conveniently shows up at Edinmire port. I'm guessing that Evals might go with him to get a ride part-way back home to the dog lands, and Kat might decide to stay with him since he's sort of family. (Or, either or both might not.) But Mike probably WON'T go with Evals - and therefore won't hitch a ride part way to the dog lands - because, as he once put it, his culture is human. It would make some limited sense for him to stay with Kat wherever she goes, but not really with Eric (without Kat); he can arrange a better situation at the Legacy estate or in Edinmire or aboard a (not-slaver) merchant ship, or go with the group to Lyn'knoll.
Yeah, if there is any next part to Eric's story, this would be it. He's freeing Kat, Mike, and Evals but he's still done a lot of horrible things to his slaves, so the next part of his character arc would be reassessing his morals and figuring out where to go with his life from here. Come to think of it, the scenario where he takes Evals to the dog lands is still something necessary to Evals' story and he did already offer to take Evals there, so this might not be the end of Eric, but we'll probably still see much less of him. I think if that scenario does come to pass, Eric and Evals will be out of the story for a while, but then when or before they arrive at dog lands, they'll run into some kind of trouble. Evals' story is most certainly not going to end there, so I doubt Eric's will either.

wynter
Traveler

#23 Post by wynter »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:01 am I think the next part of Eric's story is going to include quite a lot of soul-searching as he tries to reconcile what he had learned - and done - in the past, against what he's learned since leaving Basitin Island. But there is no specific person or place that is strictly necessary to that story, nor is he obviously necessary to the next part of anyone else's story. So he COULD depart, perhaps aboard one of his ships that conveniently shows up at Edinmire port. I'm guessing that Evals might go with him to get a ride part-way back home to the dog lands, and Kat might decide to stay with him since he's sort of family. (Or, either or both might not.) But Mike probably WON'T go with Evals - and therefore won't hitch a ride part way to the dog lands - because, as he once put it, his culture is human. It would make some limited sense for him to stay with Kat wherever she goes, but not really with Eric (without Kat); he can arrange a better situation at the Legacy estate or in Edinmire or aboard a (not-slaver) merchant ship, or go with the group to Lyn'knoll.
I would like to see Eric realize what he's done, and turn away from it. Eric doesn't seem to be deliberately an [censored] (except on a few occasions), but just oblivious. Perhaps, once he sees LynKnoll or some other prompt to think about how he's treated these people, he'll get some insight and realize that they're not objects like he's thought them to be.

Of course, maybe he is just a charming deliberate [censored], in which case he can kindly Alt-F4 himself from the story.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#24 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Warrl wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:45 am
1) You correctly note that Wreathwood is reported to have been razed. So Eric probably isn't going THERE at this time. (Note: the report of the razing is apparently the only time Wreathwood is named *in the comic*. According to the search engine. But the archive index names it, and Group A meets Eric in that chapter.)
2) Whether Kat would go with him is open to question. Not offering any answer to that question. Just pointing out that it isn't a sure thing.
3) Eric apparently still owns at least one ship. Unless it happens to have been destroyed, but we've seen no report to that effect. (Still possible, of course.) Him going to Lyn'knoll at this time wouldn't make a lot of sense while he still owns, or thinks he still owns, one or more slave-trading ships - whether he choose to continue in that profession, or to alter or dispose of those ships and do something else.

I think the next part of Eric's story is going to include quite a lot of soul-searching as he tries to reconcile what he had learned - and done - in the past, against what he's learned since leaving Basitin Island. But there is no specific person or place that is strictly necessary to that story, nor is he obviously necessary to the next part of anyone else's story. So he COULD depart, perhaps aboard one of his ships that conveniently shows up at Edinmire port. I'm guessing that Evals might go with him to get a ride part-way back home to the dog lands, and Kat might decide to stay with him since he's sort of family. (Or, either or both might not.) But Mike probably WON'T go with Evals - and therefore won't hitch a ride part way to the dog lands - because, as he once put it, his culture is human. It would make some limited sense for him to stay with Kat wherever she goes, but not really with Eric (without Kat); he can arrange a better situation at the Legacy estate or in Edinmire or aboard a (not-slaver) merchant ship, or go with the group to Lyn'knoll.
I had not imagined Kat not following Eric. But makes sense, despite Eric considering him family Kat might not, or no enough o warrant living with him, and might decide to accompany the others. Simply because she has a budding relationship with Nat and in perhaps Zen.
Eric will eventually discover he lost most, if not all of his riches and even if for some reason one or more of his ships is still around, how is he supposed to get them back? If for some reason he is unable to procure on of his ships he might accompany Evals, not necessary for him but simply to hitch a ride on the same ship.
Eclipse wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:52 am
The legality of who owns the Na'Rella isn't the issue, it's a matter of who actually knows how to drive it and take care of it enough to get them back to the mainland in one piece. Also, Kat wasn't free the whole time, Eric just never used a control spell on her. If Eric were to have died he couldn't leave the Na'rella to any of his slaves because they're still property. They (unfortunately) would probably have to be given to Roderick.
Again considering the Na-rella crew is only Mike and Evals I am pretty sure that thing is automatic. Even if it is not I am sure our favorite slave duo would be able to command the thing and if not the basitins would probably spare a captain for their new General, or Maddie would turn out to be a sailor too.
Eclipse wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:52 am Yeah, if there is any next part to Eric's story, this would be it. He's freeing Kat, Mike, and Evals but he's still done a lot of horrible things to his slaves, so the next part of his character arc would be reassessing his morals and figuring out where to go with his life from here. Come to think of it, the scenario where he takes Evals to the dog lands is still something necessary to Evals' story and he did already offer to take Evals there, so this might not be the end of Eric, but we'll probably still see much less of him. I think if that scenario does come to pass, Eric and Evals will be out of the story for a while, but then when or before they arrive at dog lands, they'll run into some kind of trouble. Evals' story is most certainly not going to end there, so I doubt Eric's will either.
I am under the impression that Eric, nor Evals for that matter, will be able to part ways so easily with the group. Not because they do not want to but because they won't be able too. If whatever is going on currently at the manor does not completely razes Edinmire from the face of Mekkan I am sure they will have to leave the area as fast as possible and won't have the chance to actually separate. Might be a templar incursion, a wolf attack or simply leaving before the town lynches Trace but i doubt they will have much respite after whatever is happening in the mansion finally runs its course.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

wynter
Traveler

#25 Post by wynter »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:44 am I am under the impression that Eric, nor Evals for that matter, will be able to part ways so easily with the group. Not because they do not want to but because they won't be able too. If whatever is going on currently at the manor does not completely razes Edinmire from the face of Mekkan I am sure they will have to leave the area as fast as possible and won't have the chance to actually separate. Might be a templar incursion, a wolf attack or simply leaving before the town lynches Trace but i doubt they will have much respite after whatever is happening in the mansion finally runs its course.
I think, whether they like it or not, they're stuck with the group. Maybe someday they'll take off, but not anytime in the near future, IMO. We've gotten to know them fairly well as readers, and I don't think that's gonna be for nothing.

That and maybe Mike gets perma-girled, who knows-? Haha

Spazoid
New Citizen

#26 Post by Spazoid »

I think it'll take a lot for Eric to make a move on Kat....or accept a move from her, since he sees her as a sister. To be fair, they DID grow up together, and Kat -- while bred as and intended to be sold as a sex slave (per the character sheet) -- seems to have never BEEN with anyone sexually...so by the same token, Eric has never been able to see her as a sexual creature.

Kat may want Eric physically -- it's clear that she did (not so sure about now) -- but so long as Eric keeps seeing her as his sister, she'd have better luck getting into a three-way with Trace and Flora.

It may take something like Eric getting hurt, Kat caring for him, and some open and honest talking before it happens...she needs to tell him what she wanted (and not be cryptic about it), and he needs to accept that she has those desires....and that he might allow himself to return them.
"Boldly going forward, 'cause I can't find reverse!"

Shar
Citizen

#27 Post by Shar »

The real problem i think is that Eric is too dense to know how Kat sees him. I would like kat to very bluntly tell him how she feels. no round about way no metaphor. I would like to see Eric and Kat together and have since the beginning. My disappointment is that it was never followed up when it was so obvious that Eric had no idea what Kat was saying.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#28 Post by Warrl »

I think Eric is a sleaze and Kath deserves better.

However, so far it looks like she wants him, not "better". Although she's expressed some interest in Nat as a possible substitute, so maybe she's getting over Eric.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#29 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Warrl wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:14 pm I think Eric is a sleaze and Kath deserves better.

However, so far it looks like she wants him, not "better". Although she's expressed some interest in Nat as a possible substitute, so maybe she's getting over Eric.
Nah Eric is not a sleaze, he is not just a pervert he is worse. Yet again as you mention Kat likes him like that, no idea what she sees in him. I think we never got any good reason why Kat is so head over heels over him in canon or otherwise. Maybe severe Stockholm syndrome or something?

In any case I do believe that Kat accepted Eric simply sees her as a sister, nothing more nothing less. And is trying to reach out to someone else to mend her little heart. I thing it is hinted she will end up with Zen, which still is definitely better than Eric.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide