Comic for may 26. 2020; Hidden Bound Stash

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

steelabjur
Council Member

Re: Comic for may 26. 2020; Hidden Bound Stash

#16 Post by steelabjur »

PkmnTrainerLucas wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:14 pm I wonder why the building is trying to keep them there. Perhaps the ritual needs some sacrifices?
Probably wants to keep them out of the way. It wants to convert Maren, so giving a dragon, and a bunch of people of various combat ability, three of which who are magically active ( :raine: , :natani: , :redhair: ), free rein to run around and try to stop it doesn't make sense. Better to keep them locked up with the rock murder lizards until the job is done or they no longer pose a threat to the plan (thanks to the aforementioned rock murder lizards).

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#17 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Bellhead wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:40 am -snip-

"I stashed as many as I could in here." Nice. Kinda gotta wonder, though.. Does he have enough room left in there for what's supposed to be in there? Could get painful otherwise. Also, props to Natani for having the gaul to call Keith "my basitin". Good for him. Also, Angry Mage is a good look for him.

Now before I forget... There was some lore discussed during the stream. Natani is skilled, but not academically, and only knows basic teleportation, hearts desire, elemental stuff and a couple others. Very practical. Also, those magic bindings can only hold so much mass, and though Nat knows what they do, he doesn't know how they work.
Have we ever got confirmation that those bindings are really magical?
In comic/canon i mean, i know there is a one-off comic page joke. I have always been under the impression that that was simply a joke that was a little too well received hence its widespread presence in sketches an other non-canon material, but that in reality they are normal cloth.
Regardless magical or not. Nat should probably get another one to use as a bag if simply out of comfort and convinience.
steelabjur wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:18 am
PkmnTrainerLucas wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:14 pm I wonder why the building is trying to keep them there. Perhaps the ritual needs some sacrifices?
Probably wants to keep them out of the way. It wants to convert Maren, so giving a dragon, and a bunch of people of various combat ability, three of which who are magically active ( :raine: , :natani: , :redhair: ), free rein to run around and try to stop it doesn't make sense. Better to keep them locked up with the rock murder lizards until the job is done or they no longer pose a threat to the plan (thanks to the aforementioned rock murder lizards).
I think the default protocol for the manor is something like:

Code: Select all

if dark_ritual_is_on then:
	kill_all_non_authorized_personell()

And non authorized personell default to everyone but trace by default.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#18 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:40 am Have we ever got confirmation that those bindings are really magical?
In comic/canon i mean, i know there is a one-off comic page joke. I have always been under the impression that that was simply a joke that was a little too well received hence its widespread presence in sketches an other non-canon material, but that in reality they are normal cloth.
As far as I know it hasn't been outright stated, but comic 987 IMO strongly suggests that they are canon. It's not made explicit, but Natani's statement of "Yeah, turns out the table even spits out magic crystals if you ask it nicely. So the girls are back in the bindings again for now." at least strongly implies that there's *something* going on with the bindings that requires mana crystals, otherwise it wouldn't make sense to word things that way. And the only thing we've seen so far that would fit that is what that side comic said.

Also, Tom was talking about Nat's use of magic in the stream chat during this page, and while it's again not an in-comic proof he was talking about the bandages' displacement spell as if it were a canon thing. Between comic 987, that, and the fact that IMO Keith's point in the original side comic about how the bindings work almost unbelievably well on such a busty frame is a really good one, at least in my opinion it makes more sense to assume that they're canon than not to.

Regarding the manor, it might be automated, but then again it might not be depending on how much significance you attribute to the obscured shadowy figure in the background of comic 1103. There might be something more ... directly malevolent behind it.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#19 Post by Warrl »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:40 am Have we ever got confirmation that those bindings are really magical?
In comic/canon i mean, i know there is a one-off comic page joke.
This one, I believe you mean.

I think it's well-received because, while having a little twist at the end that makes it funny, the basic concept makes sense and fits with the available evidence.

(Well, aside from Nat not noticing that detail and a different one of its possibly-unfortunate consequences - has he not ever washed one while wearing the other?)
I have always been under the impression that that was simply a joke that was a little too well received hence its widespread presence in sketches an other non-canon material, but that in reality they are normal cloth.
Now, that, imho, does NOT make sense. Natani's too large in the chest for that to really work.

edit: also, as noted above, that idea lacks the connection between the binding and mana crystals.
Regardless magical or not. Nat should probably get another one to use as a bag if simply out of comfort and convenience.
According to the joke page Nat has another one. Which is a good idea, because he knows full well that shtuff happens and the shtuff you're not prepared for is more likely than the shtuff you are. And considering that he and Zen believe the Assassins' Guild would kill them both if they learned his secret, he has good reason to be prepared...

Using that other one as a bag would expose it to danger more often, but (at least in theory) there could be a third... although if he's going to use one as a bag, the suggestion in the last panel is even more appropriate.

That said, with the two items the way they are, I see some possibilities that confirm my place in the perv box.

trantor
Apprentice

#20 Post by trantor »

If she got loads of full loaded crystals from the house I really fear how much magical power is stored in the house.
I am happy that we will see some nice action here with Reni and Natani, but I think the gamechanger will be Raine :raine: 8)

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#21 Post by Bellhead »

I'm not sure how much Raine could really DO here. We've never seen her in combat of any kind, and although we've seen her magic spike, the most we've seen is extreme teleportation. So, to be fair, she MIGHT be able to teleport them out, or she might port them into the middle of the ocean. Not likely.

On another note, I asked Tom about the possibility of movable/shared storage through Nat's bindings, and his response was that it was theoretically possible, but not canonically. So we can eliminate that possibility.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

whiskerz
Traveler

#22 Post by whiskerz »

I would so love that last panel with natani going badass as a widescreen high res wallpaper version :grin:
There is no silver bullet.

Yastreb
Apprentice
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith

#23 Post by Yastreb »

Reference sheets are canon, I think. The one for Natani confirms that his wraps work like in the joke page. The joke page could still be non-canon, so we don't know if he really has two bindings that are connected.

https://www.deviantart.com/twokinds/art ... -792169381

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#24 Post by AmigaDragon »

Bellhead wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:01 am I'm not sure how much Raine could really DO here. We've never seen her in combat of any kind, and although we've seen her magic spike, the most we've seen is extreme teleportation. So, to be fair, she MIGHT be able to teleport them out, or she might port them into the middle of the ocean. Not likely.
You could say we've seen her magic spike twice, shoving Carver's teleport way out to sea, and the first time when she overcame the magic suppressor enough to teleport the group a short distance. However, for combat, we haven't seen anything of what she might be able to do, magically or physically.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Warrl
Grand Templar

#25 Post by Warrl »

About Raine's possible combat prowess: The master of a martial art knows more or less what another master of a martial art is going to do - but has much less of a clue what a complete novice is going to do.

ReBob
Council Member

#26 Post by ReBob »

Really hope Natani gets some action here, gets to demonstrate some magic power and prowess. Hasn't really gotten much opportunity for that kinda stuff in awhile, and it'd be a shame if Reni is the only one to get in on the fun.
Image Image
Image Image
I make banners. Want one?
Rest in Peace, Satoru Iwata.

steelabjur
Council Member

#27 Post by steelabjur »

AmigaDragon wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 2:09 am
Bellhead wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:01 am I'm not sure how much Raine could really DO here. We've never seen her in combat of any kind, and although we've seen her magic spike, the most we've seen is extreme teleportation. So, to be fair, she MIGHT be able to teleport them out, or she might port them into the middle of the ocean. Not likely.
You could say we've seen her magic spike twice, shoving Carver's teleport way out to sea, and the first time when she overcame the magic suppressor enough to teleport the group a short distance. However, for combat, we haven't seen anything of what she might be able to do, magically or physically.
Three times actually, those times, and the time she overcame a control collar made by old!Trace so much it broke, and blew Red clean out of the room and through a door as a side effect, while Rose was ordering her about in such a way that would have led Raine exposing herself in front of Red. It impressed Rose.

JordanTH

#28 Post by JordanTH »

So we're all just going to ignore Natani referring to Keith as "my Basitin"? :flora:

SpottedKitty
Templar GrandMaster

#29 Post by SpottedKitty »

JordanTH wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:22 pm So we're all just going to ignore Natani referring to Keith as "my Basitin"? :flora:
If Keith noticed and remembers what Natani said, his grin is going to require surgical extraction. :keith: :heart: :natani: 8)
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#30 Post by Bellhead »

SpottedKitty wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:12 pm
JordanTH wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:22 pm So we're all just going to ignore Natani referring to Keith as "my Basitin"? :flora:
If Keith noticed and remembers what Natani said, his grin is going to require surgical extraction. :keith: :heart: :natani: 8)
Which Natani will be happy to perform, in the form of a *blep* to the noggin. :roll: :)
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.