Comic for may 16. 2020; A Second Chance

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

Re: Comic for may 16. 2020; A Second Chance

#16 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Flora does seem to have a claming effect on Trace.
Which means that if for whatever reason she is not there. Well hope the rest of them are fast runners.
And it does not necessarily mean death Flora. For example they go to Lab Necromancy lab and she ends loked up outside. Now without her emotional support there is nothing preventing Trace to fully regress.
Bellhead wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 2:42 am
JonahAndTheWolf wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 1:37 am Gotta love Trace just loading up Chekhov's Gun in the last panel. Tom's thumb's on the hammer and it's pointed right at Flora's head -- now it's a question of "when" and "how", not "if", it goes off.

...that sentence made sense, right? xD
'Bout as much sense as a flashing LED strobe warning sign on a road with no street lights. Enough to get the point across, while simultaneously making somebody tilt their head sideways. :P I kid, of course. Great analogy, but I think I'd add "pulling" in there. Works fine either way.

And yeah, somebody's heading for a serious beatdown, just a matter of who, where and when Trace will catch up to them.
I think this scene also points out Trace slowly getting into his old ways. He had the same attitude towards Saria and that did not ended well. On the other hand, since Trace is the most dangerous and unstable thing in the manor at the moment his love for Flora and his new child might be all he has to protect them against, well himself.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Eclipse
Templar Master

#17 Post by Eclipse »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 6:49 pm Flora does seem to have a claming effect on Trace.
Which means that if for whatever reason she is not there. Well hope the rest of them are fast runners.
And it does not necessarily mean death Flora. For example they go to Lab Necromancy lab and she ends loked up outside. Now without her emotional support there is nothing preventing Trace to fully regress.
I don't think anyone seriously expects Flora to die anytime soon. At the very least she would be brought back to life in some way (although probably not with necromancy like Old Trace planned for Saria). I think it's more likely she gets seriously hurt by someone and that causes Trace to snap.

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#18 Post by aitaituo »

Eclipse wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:29 pm
Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 6:49 pm Flora does seem to have a claming effect on Trace.
I don't think anyone seriously expects Flora to die anytime soon. At the very least she would be brought back to life in some way (although probably not with necromancy like Old Trace planned for Saria). I think it's more likely she gets seriously hurt by someone and that causes Trace to snap.
Keith and Natani already showed Trace one romantic, in a Rome and Juliet kind of way, to bring someone back from the dead. Suicidal sorta necromancy is still a moral step up from evil!Trace's plan!

FiliasNox
Fav. Twokinds Character: Madelyn

#19 Post by FiliasNox »

Please, please Trace don't challenge Fate! it's a sore loser.

Xian
Traveler

#20 Post by Xian »

I just want to point that Saria 2.0 is messing with a wolf now... If say, naked Sythe were to appear carrying unconscious bikini Maren/Saria... well, things would turn ugly...

Eclipse
Templar Master

#21 Post by Eclipse »

aitaituo wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 1:19 am
Eclipse wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:29 pm I don't think anyone seriously expects Flora to die anytime soon. At the very least she would be brought back to life in some way (although probably not with necromancy like Old Trace planned for Saria). I think it's more likely she gets seriously hurt by someone and that causes Trace to snap.
Keith and Natani already showed Trace one romantic, in a Rome and Juliet kind of way, to bring someone back from the dead. Suicidal sorta necromancy is still a moral step up from evil!Trace's plan!
Right, forgot about that one too. But considering that method would result in Trace's death, I don't think they'd go about doing that either.

Really though, I don't think either of them dying before the end of the comic is likely. Seriously hurt, yes, but not outright dying.

Cpt. H.L. Rodney
New Citizen

#22 Post by Cpt. H.L. Rodney »

Tesla Foxtrot wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 10:16 am Image

*"Over the Rainbow" by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole starts to play* ;u; ... Beautiful... This page made me so happy ^w^ :trace: :heart: :flora:

God I hope we get a scene of Trace and Flora bonding with their unborn baby sometime, too. Little one needs to at least be able to recognize daddy's voice when he or she is born

Either way it is so good to see Trace's daddy instincts finally showing through, and it's a welcome sight indeed. Heartwarming ;w; Not sure if he's finally *gaining* them, or is *regaining* them really.

On a side note, I'm wondering now whether Trace *knew* his and Saria's baby was a girl, or if that's what they *wanted*

Rafe
Council Member

#23 Post by Rafe »

Eclipse wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:35 pm
Eclipse wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 10:29 pm I don't think anyone seriously expects Flora to die anytime soon. At the very least she would be brought back to life in some way (although probably not with necromancy like Old Trace planned for Saria). I think it's more likely she gets seriously hurt by someone and that causes Trace to snap.
Right, forgot about that one too. But considering that method would result in Trace's death, I don't think they'd go about doing that either.

Really though, I don't think either of them dying before the end of the comic is likely. Seriously hurt, yes, but not outright dying.
The one character I could see ending his own life to save the others, and also to save himself from his own guilty conscience, is Euchre.
My guess is that he's never been able to forgive himself for leaving Rose to die, and wouldn't hesitate to sacrifice himself for the right reason, especially given that he and Rose might not be around too much longer.
Plus we might get to see some kind of spiritual transformational demise, along the lines of Obi-Wan Kenobi or Gandalf.

Eclipse
Templar Master

#24 Post by Eclipse »

Rafe wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:06 am
Eclipse wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:35 pm

The one character I could see ending his own life to save the others, and also to save himself from his own guilty conscience, is Euchre.
My guess is that he's never been able to forgive himself for leaving Rose to die, and wouldn't hesitate to sacrifice himself for the right reason, especially given that he and Rose might not be around too much longer.
Plus we might get to see some kind of spiritual transformational demise, along the lines of Obi-Wan Kenobi or Gandalf.
Yeah, I could see that. Euchre's really past the point of forgiveness, not from Rose, Mary, Raine, or himself. Sacrificing himself is the only way he could even come close to making up for what he's done.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#25 Post by Bellhead »

Eclipse wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:25 pm Yeah, I could see that. Euchre's really past the point of forgiveness, not from Rose, Mary, Raine, or himself. Sacrificing himself is the only way he could even come close to making up for what he's done.
True, but would he actually do it? I could see him getting what's coming to him, but he's way too much of a shadow character for him to actually show up when needed.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#26 Post by tony1695 »

Bellhead wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:39 pm
Eclipse wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:25 pm Yeah, I could see that. Euchre's really past the point of forgiveness, not from Rose, Mary, Raine, or himself. Sacrificing himself is the only way he could even come close to making up for what he's done.
True, but would he actually do it? I could see him getting what's coming to him, but he's way too much of a shadow character for him to actually show up when needed.
If he does do anything, he's gonna do it from far enough away where he's at no real risk of immediate harm. Of course, then the possibility arises that whatever he does to intervene severely injures/kills him. He ain't no spring chicken, after all.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#27 Post by Technic[Bot] »

tony1695 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:18 pm
If he does do anything, he's gonna do it from far enough away where he's at no real risk of immediate harm. Of course, then the possibility arises that whatever he does to intervene severely injures/kills him. He ain't no spring chicken, after all.
Honestly I do not think Euchre is such a bad person.
Do not get me wrong he is not "good" in any standard metric. When presented with a very difficult situation, outing himself or killing his cousin. He took the worst possible decision possible. And he has had to pay for it ever since. Also it has been implied he wanted to conquer the world or something like that.
However other than that he has not done much more wrong ever since. He did not look after his daughter but I am sure Raine's mom never informed him about her. And I am sure he did not knew until Trace blackmailed, according to Raine, him into over-throwing down Mary lest he would kill his child and former lover. From that point on he has maintained to the sidelines, just occasionally helping. I it also implied, in the sketches so the canonical is debatable, that he allowed Raine and her mom to scape to Lyn'knoll after Trace's coup.
Also I do not think he will die soon. The guy knows way more than he lets go and i find he owes everyone, specially us the audience, a fat lore dump before he kicks the bucket.

If anyone is not gonna make it out alive of the comic I imagine it being Trace. Firstly because he is the single character with the most atonement to do. Sure he is, currently, not the man he once was, but he still commit a lot of atrocities before, as he is slowly realizing and I do not think there may be too many ways for him to redeem himself other than some heroic sacrifice for everyone he now holds dear.
It would also be a nice character arc, from trying to sacrificing everyone for his own gains: Resurrecting Saria and revenge. To sacrificing himself for everyone sake.
Secondly, i think it is implied in his name, at the end of the day all we may have of his legacy are traces*: His family, his friends but nothing from himself

*Yes this is the worst joke i have ever written, i will see myself out.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Rafe
Council Member

#28 Post by Rafe »

tony1695 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:18 pm
It could be that he's already done something, given up some large part of himself, or some valuable amount of power. Achieving as much as he has, considering he was starting as "less than human", is amazing. He obviously started out as ambitious and egocentric, but as Eclipse very nicely pointed out, he's "...really past the point of forgiveness...". In his convesation with Rose (here: http://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/1020/), despite how little they said, the level of pain between them was obvious. And just as obvious was Euchre's acceptance of Rose's feelings. I'm sure he thinks far worse of himself than she does. I get the feeling that the ambition is gone, and whatever egoism he had has been replaced by self-loathing. Maybe he's only keeping himself alive because he has some plan to help the others. And my guess is the last thing he'd want is for them to know he had anything to do with it.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#29 Post by Bellhead »

Rafe wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:40 pm It could be that he's already done something, given up some large part of himself, or some valuable amount of power. Achieving as much as he has, considering he was starting as "less than human", is amazing. He obviously started out as ambitious and egocentric, but as Eclipse very nicely pointed out, he's "...really past the point of forgiveness...". In his convesation with Rose (here: http://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/1020/), despite how little they said, the level of pain between them was obvious. And just as obvious was Euchre's acceptance of Rose's feelings. I'm sure he thinks far worse of himself than she does. I get the feeling that the ambition is gone, and whatever egoism he had has been replaced by self-loathing. Maybe he's only keeping himself alive because he has some plan to help the others. And my guess is the last thing he'd want is for them to know he had anything to do with it.
Now THAT seems like the Euchre we've all come to know; a creature of the shadows evolved from ego and greed to a group-oriented person too afraid to show up and too caring to do nothing. Makes a lot of sense, now that I think about it.

... how did I never look at him like that?
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#30 Post by aitaituo »

Bellhead wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:21 am
Rafe wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:40 pm It could be that he's already done something, given up some large part of himself, or some valuable amount of power. Achieving as much as he has, considering he was starting as "less than human", is amazing. He obviously started out as ambitious and egocentric, but as Eclipse very nicely pointed out, he's "...really past the point of forgiveness...". In his convesation with Rose (here: http://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/1020/), despite how little they said, the level of pain between them was obvious. And just as obvious was Euchre's acceptance of Rose's feelings. I'm sure he thinks far worse of himself than she does. I get the feeling that the ambition is gone, and whatever egoism he had has been replaced by self-loathing. Maybe he's only keeping himself alive because he has some plan to help the others. And my guess is the last thing he'd want is for them to know he had anything to do with it.
Now THAT seems like the Euchre we've all come to know; a creature of the shadows evolved from ego and greed to a group-oriented person too afraid to show up and too caring to do nothing. Makes a lot of sense, now that I think about it.

... how did I never look at him like that?
I think it was the whole siding with a genocidal maniac out to exterminate his species, abandoning his wife to slavery, letting his daughter be raised like a prisoner, but somehow finding the time to be a like a kind uncle to a random stranger things. I don't think anyone is entirely beyond some level of redemption no matter how bad they have been, but there are many people who will never choose to try. I still think Euchre is one of them. When he met with Rose, he was more concerned with keeping Trace off the third floor than, say, his own daughter's emotional well being. He knows Rose is a much, much more decent person than him with no reason to hate Raine, but the only thing he does is mention that Raine is his daughter. Just hoping Rose will read between the lines and take care of her kin? Maybe. Maybe he's just trying to keep Rose from immediately saying "F--- off!" before he can tell her about his scheme with Trace.