Comic For May 13, 2020: Memories Best Left Buried

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Elemental Templar
Merchant

Comic For May 13, 2020: Memories Best Left Buried

#1 Post by Elemental Templar »

This is how you know you've got a keeper, when she knows just how to keep you from losing himself in your bleakest moments

Link to Sketch
"There are Two kinds of people in this world:
Those who wait for change, and those who make changes themselves. Which one are you?" -Anonymous

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

Re: Comic For May 13, 2020: Memories Best Left Buried

#2 Post by tony1695 »

Well, given how many of us expected Trace to go nuclear, this is a much more pleasant outcome.

I do wonder why Tom felt we needed a closeup of that four corner post bed's curtain, though...
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#3 Post by Bellhead »

That literally could not have gone better, in any possible way. Trace remembered the single worst moment of his old life, and didn't flip hardly at all.

To answer your question, Tony, take a look at the other panel featuring that curtain, and the window. With the intensity of the emotions he just recovered, he was likely staving off a complete meltdown. It's not unrealistic to think of him emitting a crazy amount of raw power in his blind rage. Enough to crack a window, blow curtains around... You name it. But then, he calmed down, and so did the environment. Good way to show he was still in control without having to guess by dialogue.

Also, props to Flora for staying by his side and not hesitating for even a moment. Those two have grown into such a close couple...

EDIT:
That outburst blew the sheet off the painting in the background. Wonder what it is.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

#4 Post by BadFoMo »

Bellhead wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:56 pmEDIT:
That outburst blew the sheet off the painting in the background. Wonder what it is.
I'm thinking that it's one of Saria's paintings of Rose.
Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

Tesla Foxtrot
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Her

#5 Post by Tesla Foxtrot »

I bet thats a painting of rose judging by where the white is. Maybe unfinished?

Now we know why Trace went on a murder rampage. I dont condole his actions. even if its just fantasy. But thats one of the better reasons to have ?

Also. Hurray!! It didnt turn in to chapter 11 all over again!
The communist part is a inside-joke with friends. :kathrin:

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#6 Post by Insomniac »

Ooooooooooof...Hardcore oof..."I think even he would rather not be here." That line just CUTS...
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

JonahAndTheWolf
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: Adira

#7 Post by JonahAndTheWolf »

Wow, surprise Wednesday page. Hope Tom's hands are doing alright.

In any case, I'm still predicting a Trace meltdown later in the chapter (possibly at the end as a cliffhanger), when something happens to harm Flora and/or put her in danger. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he didn't snap here, but that does leave the payoff to the setup that is this revelation somewhat lacking...plus, with all the pages recently reinforcing how much Trace and Flora actually care about each other, one can't help but wonder if it's just there to twist the knife in even further when something bad does happen.

I'm not sure if it's an obvious prediction or anything, but it honestly seems to me like all of the arrows are pointing towards it. I'm totally open to the possibility that I'm wrong, though.
Grumpily succumbing to the moral imperative of tentacle-delivered pleasure like a good utilitarian :evil:

MonsterHogan
Fav. Twokinds Character: Nora

#8 Post by MonsterHogan »

tony1695 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:44 pm Well, given how many of us expected Trace to go nuclear, this is a much more pleasant outcome.

I do wonder why Tom felt we needed a closeup of that four corner post bed's curtain, though...
My best guess is that Tom was trying to show the room calming down with Trace. A couple panels earlier everything was flapping and cracking and going nuts. So I think he included it to show that Trace was under control.
(Z->)90° - (E-N²W)90°t=1

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#9 Post by Bellhead »

JonahAndTheWolf wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:46 pm snip
Not that far-fetched, actually. Though it did happen to Keith, back during the wolf attack... Of course, almost everything about that situation was different.

Having Flora end up injured or threatened in some way would be right in line for character development and story, but it's also exactly what happened on the island, so I'm not sure he'll do that route.

Honestly, I'm expecting an Evil-Trace-Maren-Saria curve ball as a resolution, and I honestly can't even begin to guess where it might lead.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#10 Post by Warrl »

tony1695 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:44 pm I do wonder why Tom felt we needed a closeup of that four corner post bed's curtain, though...
To show that the curtain is hanging down, rather than being blown around like it was in the earlier wide-angle shot.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#11 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Personally....
I do not think that is New Trace anymore....
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

stlsf4003
Apprentice

#12 Post by stlsf4003 »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:32 am Personally....
What makes you say that?
the lurking furry railroader

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#13 Post by Bellhead »

stlsf4003 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:47 am
What makes you say that?
Yeah, between the curtain stopping and his dialog with Flora, it seems like Old Trace has taken "the back seat", as it were. What do you see, Technic?

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#14 Post by Technic[Bot] »

What makes you say that?
So far only the dramatic closeup and the lack of pupils in a panel. I know it is not much and it is likely to not be the case. But it would make some sort of sense. After all Old Trace was a methodical villain. He enjoyed the occasional massacre or two but most of the times he stick to his plan. So maybe pretending to be good and nice0guy Trace might play into his schemes better than just killing Flora right now.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Ecthudan
Citizen

#15 Post by Ecthudan »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 3:07 am
What makes you say that?
So far only the dramatic closeup and the lack of pupils in a panel. I know it is not much and it is likely to not be the case. But it would make some sort of sense. After all Old Trace was a methodical villain. He enjoyed the occasional massacre or two but most of the times he stick to his plan. So maybe pretending to be good and nice0guy Trace might play into his schemes better than just killing Flora right now.
I don't know. His last line just doesn't seem like something Old Trace would say. After all, it does make sense that even his old self wouldn't want to remember something so painful.