--

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

Re: Comic forApril 25, 2020: Dragon Defense

#4 Post by Neutral Smith »

Hayate wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:08 am Nudity is lewdity, Reni

Tsk tsk
No time for modesty, shake that hula butt.
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

Lordadmiral Drake
Master

#5 Post by Lordadmiral Drake »

Neutral Smith wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:10 am
Hayate wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:08 am Nudity is lewdity, Reni

Tsk tsk
No time for modesty, shake that hula butt.
That sketch really had the timing nailed down

Also, those walking rocks are gonna have a hard time now ^^
Furcode: FCXcsp2a A C- D H+ M- P- R++ T++ W Z- Sm# RLE a cln d+ e h* i+ j+ p- sm+

I'm a Deviant now

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#6 Post by Bellhead »

Modesty my behind. Have you SEEN Nora? Believe me, nobody here's gonna care.

To be honest, I'd almost bet she'd be more comfortable as a nude dragon than a bikini clad human. It is her natural form, after all.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

HSishi
Citizen

#7 Post by HSishi »

Unless it's protecting armor, clothes are more a problem than being useful in fights. In fact, missing clothes may even distract the opponent.

JayJayForce
Citizen

#8 Post by JayJayForce »

Bellhead wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:00 am Modesty my behind. Have you SEEN Nora? Believe me, nobody here's gonna care.

To be honest, I'd almost bet she'd be more comfortable as a nude dragon than a bikini clad human. It is her natural form, after all.
I'm not so sure about that. A Human's natural form is being naked, arguably in basic light skins, but most people nowadays won't be comfortable being seen like that in public. Culture has an enormous impact on how a person acts.

Remember, Reni may be a dragon biologically, but culturally she's Human. She's been raised by Humans and been around them her whole life. Her values are going to be much the same as a Humans from that world.

steelabjur
Council Member

#9 Post by steelabjur »

Considering their condition (see the previous comic for a close up), the fact that one Guardian only lost an arm to that dragon tail slam and will probably be scrambling back to its feet in the next comic suggests these guys are no joke.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#10 Post by Bellhead »

JayJayForce wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:16 am
Bellhead wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:00 am Modesty my behind. Have you SEEN Nora? Believe me, nobody here's gonna care.

I'm not so sure about that. A Human's natural form is being naked, arguably in basic light skins, but most people nowadays won't be comfortable being seen like that in public. Culture has an enormous impact on how a person acts.

Remember, Reni may be a dragon biologically, but culturally she's Human. She's been raised by Humans and been around them her whole life. Her values are going to be much the same as a Humans from that world.
Be that as it may, I think it's a little more complicated. As a dragon, she doesn't have the... features that make nudity such an issue for humans. Also keep in mind Nora's reasoning for not shifting to human very often, and that she was wearing a bikini to begin with.

Wear next to nothing and balance on your hind legs, or be nude in a form where it makes little difference, among accepting people, while protecting them. Even including cultural influence, I know which I'd rather.

BTW, I said 'natural form' in reference to being a four legged dragon, not unclothed.
steelabjur wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:59 pm Considering their condition (see the previous comic for a close up), the fact that one Guardian only lost an arm to that dragon tail slam and will probably be scrambling back to its feet in the next comic suggests these guys are no joke.
Oh, definitely. Evil Trace didn't mess around.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

JayJayForce
Citizen

#11 Post by JayJayForce »

Bellhead wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:07 pm

Be that as it may, I think it's a little more complicated. As a dragon, she doesn't have the... features that make nudity such an issue for humans. Also keep in mind Nora's reasoning for not shifting to human very often, and that she was wearing a bikini to begin with.

Wear next to nothing and balance on your hind legs, or be nude in a form where it makes little difference, among accepting people, while protecting them. Even including cultural influence, I know which I'd rather.
True true. She doesn't have the features that make it an issue (in most Human cultures at least, there are exceptions) in her Dragon form. Protecting her friends is also far more important to her. Like she said, she doesn't like fighting like that, but she will absolutely do so if she has to. I'm sure the vast majority of people would as well. I know I would. Yeah, I remember that Nora doesn't like shifting into Human form because of that whole quad to biped thing, though admittedly I only just remembered that with you reminding me. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Reni is much more use to that transition since she has far more reason to shift into Human form and adapt to that feeling. Especially if she started young. Mind can get use to a lot of things given time and exposure. As for wearing a bikini? Not quite the same thing as being nude. I'm sure plenty of women would be perfectly fine wearing a bikini but freak out if caught just in their underwear let alone nude.

Now this is more speculation on my part regarding Reni, but I think she could well place more emphasis on clothing than most Humans would. She has grown up among Humans, specifically Human nobility as what many would call a "beast". At least in most fiction I'm familiar with Dragons are often looked on as more "primal" or as a "force of nature" rather than as an equal civilized being. Now one of the traits many Humans associate with being civilized is clothing. If something wears clothing its a person, if not its an animal. This focus on clothing goes doubly for nobility (of which she is a part of) since they often use clothing as a measure of social status. And of course on Mekkan you also have the Keidran, who are enslaved and seen as "lesser" while also culturally not wearing clothing as much further reinforcing that bias.

So I could see her placing a big emphasis on clothing as a way to establish herself as "civilized" among often fairly racist and xenophobic Humans. A way to prove that she is an equal and overcome ingrained bias whereas a Human wouldn't have to since they will still be seen as Human irregardless of what they wear. Minorities often have to go the extra step to prove themselves, especially in a racist society like Mekkans.

Of course, that's just speculation and deduction. I could be completely wrong on that front.

Scow2
Citizen

#12 Post by Scow2 »

Bellhead wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:07 pm

Be that as it may, I think it's a little more complicated. As a dragon, she doesn't have the... features that make nudity such an issue for humans.
Yes she does. Even if they're not drawn due to the style (same reason female Kiedran "features" aren't drawn), and humans aren't looking for/at them, she is very aware that they are there.

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#13 Post by aitaituo »

In one of the Nora sketches, Trace says shapeshifting doesn't reduce her weight. That stone guardian knocked Reni back. OTOH, canonically cat!Nora didn't have any problem walking on a roof.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14 Post by Bellhead »

Scow2 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:26 pm
Bellhead wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:07 pm features.
Yes she does. Even if they're not drawn due to the style (same reason female Kiedran "features" aren't drawn), and humans aren't looking for/at them, she is very aware that they are there.
Not saying they aren't. But a dragon's bosom doesn't hang like the other species, and they have a tail for modesty unlike humans. What I meant by that was, they're not in the open like others are.

steelabjur
Council Member

#15 Post by steelabjur »

aitaituo wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:37 pm In one of the Nora sketches, Trace says shapeshifting doesn't reduce her weight. That stone guardian knocked Reni back. OTOH, canonically cat!Nora didn't have any problem walking on a roof.
If you're talking about the same sketch I'm thinking of (where Nora switches to human form after Trace complains about the weight of her head laying on him) I don't think he was saying she weighed the same, just that she was still "heavy".