Comic for April 19, 2020: The Old Guardians

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Warrl
Grand Templar

Re: Comic for April 19, 2020: Dragons and Stone

#16 Post by Warrl »

Ddraig wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:47 am The difficult part is assigning levels; we don't really have a good idea of rough power level (and IMO Raine kinda defies the DnD system, since she has the power of a high level wizard (sorcerer?) but no idea how to use it). IMO the fight doesn't look like it's winnable, since there's at least 6 of the things, unless Reni can handle several and Raine explodes at least one
Yeah, Raine doesn't quite fit in D&D - at least not any of the spell-casting classes. She has some similarity to a 4E psionic class. Is there an RPG with a spell-casting class that uses mana points *and* learned spells?

trantor
Apprentice

Re: Comic for April 19, 2020: The Old Guardians

#17 Post by trantor »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:10 pm Hmm, there's a thread here that you wouldn't see if you only look at the main comic page. First, as Bellhead notes, on his twitter Tom says these are "Trace's early attempts at making guardians, now under new orders". And second... well, there's a speech bubble mostly covering up something kiiiiinda interesting looking...

Under new orders, eh? Looks like someone was there to give the orders in person...
TheMouse wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:00 pmthere are a LOT of trained fighters in this group. I'd really like to see how well Keith and Natani's sparring has put them in sync.
I'm not sure how much of a difference it'd make in this case considering everyone is unarmed. Maddie's mental image from before notwithstanding, it's not like you could *actually* punch out a statue, in this case you'd probably need to hand out a bunch of sledgehammers or something. I think Reni is probably the only one in the group with a chance of fighting them, if she goes back into her dragon form. (Which is what I think is probably coming next.)
The only unarmed person, that would have at last a little chance is Adelaide. But they are 4-5 minimum, so this would be difficult nevertheless. The others have no chance. Raine and Reni are their only hope unless Rose come and show them an exit.

Rafe
Council Member

#18 Post by Rafe »

What I'm worried about is Rose. If she were able, you'd think she'd be there (on Trace's side, you'd hope). Something is holding here somewhere.

trantor
Apprentice

#19 Post by trantor »

Rafe wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:00 am What I'm worried about is Rose. If she were able, you'd think she'd be there (on Trace's side, you'd hope). Something is holding here somewhere.
I think she is fighting over the house control, since the Evil took over. I think she will help the others in small ways. If the Evil one shut a door, she maybe able to open a window for them for a short time.

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#20 Post by AmigaDragon »

trantor wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:41 am The only unarmed person, that would have at last a little chance is Adelaide. But they are 4-5 minimum, so this would be difficult nevertheless. The others have no chance. Raine and Reni are their only hope unless Rose come and show them an exit.
While we don't know how versatile every one is, we have 4 (maybe 5 counting Eric?) spellcasters in the room, one of which is (after a shapeshift to normal) also a bruiser. Mike, Evals and Karen could duck into the storage room and maybe toss "beach junk" out into the lizards' way. I doubt Keith would duck in there when there's a fight to be had. Nibbly could be another distraction like with Carver, if she weren't still afraid of Reni and didn't leave with Sythe and Maren (we don't know the latter yet).
Have Maddie and Lynn found more stony guardians? Are Zen and Kat safe in his room?
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#21 Post by aitaituo »

Warrl wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:19 am
Ddraig wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:47 am The difficult part is assigning levels; we don't really have a good idea of rough power level (and IMO Raine kinda defies the DnD system, since she has the power of a high level wizard (sorcerer?) but no idea how to use it). IMO the fight doesn't look like it's winnable, since there's at least 6 of the things, unless Reni can handle several and Raine explodes at least one
Yeah, Raine doesn't quite fit in D&D - at least not any of the spell-casting classes. She has some similarity to a 4E psionic class. Is there an RPG with a spell-casting class that uses mana points *and* learned spells?
The Elder Scrolls is kind of like that.

Kyrit
Templar

#22 Post by Kyrit »

Warrl wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:19 am
Actually, I'd say she's the rough equivalent of a wild magic sorcerer. Their entire purpose is untamed, unpredictable magic fluctuations. They do have learned spells that they can use and gain more as you progress, but at any moment that magic can fluctuate. For example, this is one of the level 1 features of a wild magic sorcerer;

"Starting when you choose this origin at 1st level, your spellcasting can unleash surges of untamed magic. Immediately after you cast a sorcerer spell of 1st level or higher, the DM can have you roll a d20. If you roll a 1, roll on the Wild Magic Surge table to create a random magical effect."

This "random" effect has a huge range of possibilities, both good and bad. Such as;
- For the next minute, you can see any invisible creature if you have line of sight to it. (Good)
- You cast Fireball as a 3rd-level spell centered on yourself. (Bad; depending on level, you might be killing yourself and your party)
- Roll a d10. Your height changes by a number of inches equal to the roll. If the roll is odd, you shrink. If the roll is even, you grow.

steelabjur
Council Member

#23 Post by steelabjur »

Depending on how vacant, for want of a better word, these Old Guardians are, throwing beach junk in their way might work to delay them. That shovel and maybe other things in that closet could probably be employed as makeshift weapons, and if all else fails they could crowd into that closet and shut the door to buy some time. I'm more worried about Zen/Kat, Maddie, and Lynn out in the manor by themselves and already injured. What other defenses are there in the manor and are being brought online?

PanClovek
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith

#24 Post by PanClovek »

The dragons remind me of teracotta warriors... Kewl

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#25 Post by AmigaDragon »

PanClovek wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:31 am The dragons remind me of teracotta warriors... Kewl
I see no dragons (Except for Reni when she changes back), just lizards.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen