Comic for April 12, 2020: Dragons and Stone

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

Comic for April 12, 2020: Dragons and Stone

#1 Post by BadFoMo »

Wait, back up a minute, memory of Old Trace; you made a few yourself? …Are they still around?

Anyway, is it just me, or are Old and New Trace’s hair different shades of blue?
Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

ibneko

Re: Comic for April 12, 2020: Dragons and Stone

#2 Post by ibneko »

Heh, love the stone sweatdrop from Stoney.

Panther
Merchant

#3 Post by Panther »

That's it : when created the guardian , Nora has (unconsciously or not) putted her "love" to Trace in it with some of her mind :nora:
Man is a wolf for man ........ Don't insult the wolves :natani:

Cosmacelf
Apprentice

#4 Post by Cosmacelf »

Yeah, they are different shades of blue. Not an accident I reckon.

So when old Trace was asking for a guardian to protect “her”, was he talking about Saria? Or Rose? Presumably Saria, or else Nora would have thought it strange, and old Trace was still sane. So he repurposed the guardian to guard his maniacal secret lab?

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#5 Post by Bellhead »

Yes, different hair color. Possibly due to the passage of time, like Natani's fur color, for instance.

I find it interesting that Nora had that sort of feeling toward Trace. I mean, it's been hinted at since forever, but still. She acted like he was some sort of plaything, even as he openly treated her like his personal magic fountain. Old Trace was a real jerk.

Loving the design of Stoneward. Cute actions, clear personality traits.. Also stone sweat drops are the cutest evil thing I think I've ever seen. Nora's friggin' awesome.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Rafe
Council Member

#6 Post by Rafe »

It strikes me as a little strange that Nora uses the phrase "...this counts as my gift for the birthday...", not "your birthday" or "her birthday". I wonder if there was going to be some other birthday, as in Saria was (or was thought to be) pregnant. "The birthday" sure makes i sound like there is some special birth coming.

Also, by the look of things in this scene - Nora reclining, semi-covered, the dim lighting... it's obvious that Trace is in Nora's bedchamber.

steelabjur
Council Member

#7 Post by steelabjur »

BadFoMo wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:01 pmWait, back up a minute, memory of Old Trace; you made a few yourself? …Are they still around?

Anyway, is it just me, or are Old and New Trace’s hair different shades of blue?
My guess it they probably turned out like the "dragon" he unwittingly made to protect Flora from the Magus Brothers when they attacked, but probably on a smaller scale.

Yep, the flashback hair is a sort of sky blue, modern hair is a turquoise.

Also, Guardian finally has a name, Stoneward, aka "Stoney"!

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#8 Post by tony1695 »

Rafe wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:41 pm It strikes me as a little strange that Nora uses the phrase "...this counts as my gift for the birthday...", not "your birthday" or "her birthday". I wonder if there was going to be some other birthday, as in Saria was (or was thought to be) pregnant. "The birthday" sure makes i sound like there is some special birth coming.
We don't quite know yet if magic is capable of being used as a pregnancy test, or an ultrasound, but it's certainly not impossible. If so, it certainly helps explain why Trace went so far off the deep end when he lost Saria. Not just his wife, but his unborn child? And here he is, facing the possibility of losing it all again.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

Ecthudan
Citizen

#9 Post by Ecthudan »

I've got a bad feeling about all this. Trace is going to be getting all his memories back, isn't he?

You know what I really want to happen? I want Trace to get back all his memories, but due to the many experiences he's had with Flora and the others, it won't matter, so that Trace will be able to destroy his evil self once and for all.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#10 Post by Bellhead »

Ecthudan wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:08 pm I've got a bad feeling about all this. Trace is going to be getting all his memories back, isn't he?

You know what I really want to happen? I want Trace to get back all his memories, but due to the many experiences he's had with Flora and the others, it won't matter, so that Trace will be able to destroy his evil self once and for all.
That's my running theory. But having lost an unborn child among with his first wife would cause quite a bit of strong emotions... Significantly moreso than just losing his wife.

This could get bad.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Ecthudan
Citizen

#11 Post by Ecthudan »

Bellhead wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:16 pm
Ecthudan wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:08 pm I've got a bad feeling about all this. Trace is going to be getting all his memories back, isn't he?

That's my running theory. But having lost an unborn child among with his first wife would cause quite a bit of strong emotions... Significantly moreso than just losing his wife.

This could get bad.
Yeah, it definitely won't be easy. Trace will be really torn between the grief of losing Saria and his current love for Flora. Wait, was Saria pregnant when she died? Or what do you mean by "having lost an unborn child"?

Rafe
Council Member

#12 Post by Rafe »

tony1695 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:01 pm We don't quite know yet if magic is capable of being used as a pregnancy test, or an ultrasound, but it's certainly not impossible....
In case you didn't know (or forgot), there are ways of knowing if a woman is pregnant or not that don't involve modern tests or magic.

Eclipse
Templar Master

#13 Post by Eclipse »

Anyone else find it amusing how Trace is disciplining him in the last panel? Like he's literally about to kill or seriously injure people and Trace just gives him a stern talking to.

"Stoney, no! Stop knocking that guy's teeth out! Stoney... don't you dare break his spine!"

Kyrit
Templar

#14 Post by Kyrit »

Cosmacelf wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:23 pm Yeah, they are different shades of blue. Not an accident I reckon.

So when old Trace was asking for a guardian to protect “her”, was he talking about Saria? Or Rose? Presumably Saria, or else Nora would have thought it strange, and old Trace was still sane. So he repurposed the guardian to guard his maniacal secret lab?
I don't think he repurposed it at all. As I see it, Nora means the literal "birthday" of Saria being brought back via Maren's body. Thus why she doesn't say "your" birthday or "her" birthday, even though Trace put emphasis on it being a gift for "her". Trace wanted the stone lizard to protect her; first the room where likely at least some part of her body rests while he was gathering the necessary parts and then physically her after she's "back". Thus the lizard attacking the girls for getting too close to the forbidden room.

I suppose maybe those thinking it's for a child's protection could be right, but I read this as being after Saria's death.

JonahAndTheWolf
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: Adira

#15 Post by JonahAndTheWolf »

Think I might start a Stoneward fanclub. Y'all in? :P

All kidding aside, way I see it, there are three possibilities for "the birthday". From most likely to least likely, they are:

1. The term/codename used by Trace's inner circle to refer to the plan to bring Saria back to life
2. A similar codename used to refer to a potential Saria pregnancy, possibly to avoid people targeting the child of the Grand Templar
3. Tom briefly forgetting how to grammar.

Honestly, I'd guess that 1 is almost certainly it -- the only reason I'm even hesitating is because this flashback implies that Nora was not only complicit in whatever dark magics Trace was planning, but happily so, and that feels sort of...I dunno, out of character for her? At least to me. I could see her going along with almost anything because it's Trace, but I imagine she'd have some qualms when it comes to doing something this bad, or at least would be apprehensive enough not to half-joke about it like she seems to be doing here.

Plus, Tom loves his dramatic irony, so he might go with 2 just for those sweet, sweet parallels.

In any case, every successive page has only been fueling my theories that we're gonna see a Trace breakdown within this chapter. It's been too long, and with his pregnant fiancee on the front lines, there's plenty that could happen :wink: I am interested to see how this new memory thing plays into it all -- as far as I can recall, this is the most peacefully he's ever had a memory come back, so maybe whatever the masks did to him is wearing off? So the boundary between current Trace and past Trace might become dangerously thin...God, I wish the whole chapter was out now!
Grumpily succumbing to the moral imperative of tentacle-delivered pleasure like a good utilitarian :evil: