Comic for March 28, 2020: Stone Lick

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Message
Author
User avatar
Templar Inner Circle
Posts: 3140
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:17 pm
Location: The high country of the mind.
Favorite Character: Keith and Natani

Re: Comic for March 28, 2020: Stone Lick

#31 Post by Bellhead »

Panther wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:15 am
Ddraig wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:08 pm
Tom, however, does know the statue's gender (he's the artist, after all) and used "he".
What if Tom does it intentionally because he enjoys to see the members debate about such question ? :Lynn:
Wouldn't put out past him. He's got a sense of humor for that sort of thing.
Gearhead in the digital world, who will probably grow up to be a very grumpy old man.

Traveler
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:59 am

Re: Comic for March 28, 2020: Stone Lick

#32 Post by Cpt. H.L. Rodney »

Moving along from Stonie's gender debate -

I love Stonie now! x3 Who's a good guardian! And in battle I can see Trace being like
"And Stonie?"
"WARK?"
"Smash."
[smiles] "WARK! GRAAAAAAGH!!!!"

Time to breathe a sigh of relief for now, at least they're in less immediate danger than before, and with a new bodyguard! ^^ Would be a good idea for Trace to follow up his last order with one to protect Flora and the others ;P Now... how to get out? The door is sealed still, looking behind Trace (damn this house!), so... side passage? Maybe not an exit, but still, something interesting in there...

User avatar
Templar Inner Circle
Posts: 3140
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:17 pm
Location: The high country of the mind.
Favorite Character: Keith and Natani

Re: Comic for March 28, 2020: Stone Lick

#33 Post by Bellhead »

Cpt. H.L. Rodney wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:47 am
Time to breathe a sigh of relief for now.
I disagree. Don't forget, Maren got teleported to parts unknown for the purpose of becoming Saria, and we know nothing of her status.
Gearhead in the digital world, who will probably grow up to be a very grumpy old man.

Traveler
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:59 am

Re: Comic for March 28, 2020: Stone Lick

#34 Post by Cpt. H.L. Rodney »

Bellhead wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:49 am
Cpt. H.L. Rodney wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:47 am
Time to breathe a sigh of relief for now.
I disagree. Don't forget, Maren got teleported to parts unknown for the purpose of becoming Saria, and we know nothing of her status.
I'm referring to the mains here ^^; And again, for now >>; :trace: :flora:

User avatar
Templar Master
Posts: 424
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:06 pm

Re: Comic for March 28, 2020: Stone Lick

#35 Post by Ddraig »

Panther wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:15 am
Ddraig wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:08 pm
Tom, however, does know the statue's gender (he's the artist, after all) and used "he".
What if Tom does it intentionally because he enjoys to see the members debate about such question ? :Lynn:
Doubtful. Tom providing a definitive answer rather ends any debate instead of encouraging it. If Tom had instead avoided the use of any third person pronouns for the Guardian, it would allow and encourage debate on this subject, but that isn't the case. Aside from which, there isn't much that can be argued about whether an animated statue is considered male or female in language terms because without clarification from on high it boils down to "I use 'he' for the statue" or "I use 'she' for the statue" and the only supporting argument you can really put down is "the statue kinda looks a little feminine/masculine even though it doesn't have human racial dimorphism". Even using artistic-license traits given isn't a sure bet because you can't assume they mean the same thing - the statue is based on a reptilian species, not a mammalian one so the traits associated with sexual dimorphism won't line up human expectations.

I don't even know what said traits would be, just that they are different.
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything, but it's wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it always finds that darkness has gotten there first, and is waiting for it."

User avatar
Merchant
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:55 pm
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Comic for March 28, 2020: Stone Lick

#36 Post by Panther »

Ddraig wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:08 pm
Doubtful. Tom providing a definitive answer rather ends any debate instead of encouraging it. If Tom had instead avoided the use of any third person pronouns for the Guardian, it would allow and encourage debate on this subject, but that isn't the case. Aside from which, there isn't much that can be argued about whether an animated statue is considered male or female in language terms because without clarification from on high it boils down to "I use 'he' for the statue" or "I use 'she' for the statue" and the only supporting argument you can really put down is "the statue kinda looks a little feminine/masculine even though it doesn't have human racial dimorphism". Even using artistic-license traits given isn't a sure bet because you can't assume they mean the same thing - the statue is based on a reptilian species, not a mammalian one so the traits associated with sexual dimorphism won't line up human expectations.

I don't even know what said traits would be, just that they are different.
Surely because these "eyebrows" seems more to the ones of a female than of a male
Man is a wolf for man ........ Don't insult the wolves :natani:

Grand Templar
Posts: 1331
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:19 pm

Re: Comic for March 28, 2020: Stone Lick

#37 Post by Warrl »

My guess: the animated stone statue has no gender or sex. So there's nothing wrong with "he".

User avatar
Weaver of Tales
Posts: 5602
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:49 am
Location: POOTISPOOTISPOOTISPOOTIS

Re: Comic for March 28, 2020: Stone Lick

#38 Post by tony1695 »

Warrl wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:43 pm
My guess: the animated stone statue has no gender or sex. So there's nothing wrong with "he".
You think that's gonna stop someone from using their Patreon sketch suggestion to ask for a "Good Morning Lizard Golem" picture?

Oh no, I should not have said that. I should not have said that...
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

Traveler
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:59 am
Favorite Character: Reni

Re: Comic for March 28, 2020: Stone Lick

#39 Post by Emp_Dragon »

tony1695 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:06 am
Warrl wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:43 pm
My guess: the animated stone statue has no gender or sex. So there's nothing wrong with "he".
You think that's gonna stop someone from using their Patreon sketch suggestion to ask for a "Good Morning Lizard Golem" picture?

Oh no, I should not have said that. I should not have said that...
As if the people asking for it hasn't asked already XD

User avatar
Merchant
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:55 pm
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Comic for March 28, 2020: Stone Lick

#40 Post by Panther »

tony1695 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:06 am
You think that's gonna stop someone from using their Patreon sketch suggestion to ask for a "Good Morning Lizard Golem" picture?

Oh no, I should not have said that. I should not have said that...
Kat has already kissed the guardian , because the cursed mistletoe :nora:
Man is a wolf for man ........ Don't insult the wolves :natani:

User avatar
Templar GrandMaster
Posts: 678
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:08 pm

Re: Comic for March 28, 2020: Stone Lick

#41 Post by SpottedKitty »

Bellhead wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:31 am
Emp_Dragon wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:40 am
Bellhead wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:06 am
Get your mind out of the gutter. You're blocking my skylight. :mrgrin:
This, this I'm gonna steal for other situations! :squirrel:
Feel free. I stole it myself, from these very halls.
What I actually said was "you're standing in front of my periscope" — I've used it in various forums over the years. I think it must have been in one of the perv box threads. :twisted: :roll: :wink:

Now I wonder, what's happened to Rose? Can she still remote-instance herself all over the estate, or is she being distracted right now?
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

User avatar
Templar Inner Circle
Posts: 3140
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:17 pm
Location: The high country of the mind.
Favorite Character: Keith and Natani

Re: Comic for March 28, 2020: Stone Lick

#42 Post by Bellhead »

SpottedKitty wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:56 pm
Bellhead wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:31 am
Emp_Dragon wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:40 am
Bellhead wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:06 am
Get your mind out of the gutter. You're blocking my skylight. :mrgrin:
This, this I'm gonna steal for other situations! :squirrel:
Feel free. I stole it myself, from these very halls.
What I actually said was "you're standing in front of my periscope" — I've used it in various forums over the years. I think it must have been in one of the perv box threads. :twisted: :roll: :wink:
If that's the case, it wasn't you. I distinctly remember "skylight". Heck, it might have even been in the Furry board, and gods know when the last time THAT was active...

More on topic:
SpottedKitty wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:56 pm
Now I wonder, what's happened to Rose? Can she still remote-instance herself all over the estate, or is she being distracted right now?
When all this was being discussed when Maren was taken, several of us wondered what might be happening to her. Suggestions ranged from 'that's her real body in that back room' to 'she's fighting this alongside them', and almost everywhere in between.

Personally, I think Evil Trace knew where Rose's loyalties lied, and added some sort of magical caveat to the Maren tigger wherein Rose is "locked out" of estate functions so she would not interfere. That said, with Trace removing her restrictions, all bets are off.

She might be completely unhinged with all that's happening right now, for all we know. Or she could have her hands full with tracking everyone at once. We just don't know enough about her situation, or the estate itself for that matter, to make any kind of assumption at this point.
Gearhead in the digital world, who will probably grow up to be a very grumpy old man.

User avatar
Council Member
Posts: 576
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:48 pm
Location: México
Contact:

Re: Comic for March 28, 2020: Stone Lick

#43 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Excuse my ignorance but Didn't "wark was" the Chocobo call?

I imagine Trace had quite a "quaint" side before all of this. At least before his wife died. I imagine he created the golem before he went mad and made it act like a dog when not in guard duty either because he thought it was funny or at Saria's requests. After he widowed he repurposed the golem to protect his necromancy experiments. Because I cannot imagine the crazy dark genocidal Trace making the golem act like that on purpose.
Yet I think some of that "quaint" streak became Dark Trace apparent penchant for dramaticism. I mean he had red-blood moon appear on his holographic magic beach room when the ritual, spell or whatever started. I cannot imagine any other function for that other than make all "look cool". A bit childish if you ask me bu after all Trace is not that old either. Early twenties after all.

Regarding the Golem's gender or lack thereof. There is actually a real life analogy: Robots
What is a robot gender. Obviously None as a robot is not even organic. Alas if you look for commercial robots most of the companies selling them go great lengths to give them some sort of identity and that includes a gender. For example we have Pepper the robot the site itself refers to it with male pronouns and it is supposedly designed to look androgynous but most people I have talked to consider it look feminine specially considering the voice synthesizer sounds female.
This does not only apply to somewhat anthropomorphic robots. Toyota's Human supprt robot does not really have human form but it does have a face. It also lacks features that could make it look gendered at all, even his voice is neutral. Yet most people who work with it eventually name their robot and assign a gender.
Finally there are robots like Lisa from University of Koblenz Landau . Pictured with a bunch of hamsters. This time the robot did not even had a face but the designers made the conscious effort to give her a female identity: Lisa and female voice.
What I am trying to say is: I really like robots and i will talk about them every time i get the chance. And more to the point: people seems to be uncomfortable when they cannot assign a gender/sex to something that displays life-like behavior. Even Alexa and Siri are gendered despite not even having a body. It do not think this is a conscious issue most people understand these are machines and the do not have gender for the same reason their car doesn't but people are still assigning a gendered identity to these robots and services and at the end of the day I think most people do not like an things that are not gendered specially if said thing has some sort of identity. And if none is provided by the creator people will assign something to what they see even if there is nothing there at all. Also i have to point out that robots that do not interact with human much does not seem face this issue like the industrial robots from Kuka
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook

Grand Templar
Posts: 1331
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:19 pm

Re: Comic for March 28, 2020: Stone Lick

#44 Post by Warrl »

I cannot imagine the crazy dark genocidal Trace making the golem act like that on purpose.
"And now for the tincture of tenderness, but I must use only a touch. For without a touch of tenderness, it might destroy me!" -- Professor Montgomery Weirdo

User avatar
Traveler
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:23 pm
Location: Msaechubaets
Favorite Character: Adira

Re: Comic for March 28, 2020: Stone Lick

#45 Post by JonahAndTheWolf »

To quote a friend of mine, "the stone guardian is cute, and it's in this comic. There's no way the fans aren't gonna run away with it."

I can definitely see Trace's instruction "not to hurt anyone unless [he says] so" coming back to bite him in the tush -- my gut instinct, given the way Twokinds generally is, is to assume that they're gonna end up in a position where Trace can't speak, although I could also see it going terribly wrong if something about the magic of the palace results in him losing control again...I guess it depends on how literally the golem takes instructions, but in any case, things are certainly going to turn out interesting.

On the topic of magic doing bad things, I hope the baby doesn't end up getting hurt -- correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Flora's been simultaneously pregnant and in a potentially dangerous situation since the center of the plot. I doubt anything like that's gonna happen, given that Tom seems to be setting up for some reveal or other about the baby, but I've been wrong in the past.

In any case, I'm waiting with bated breath for the next page!
Grumpily succumbing to the moral imperative of tentacle-delivered pleasure like a good utilitarian :evil:

Post Reply