Comic for February 8th, 2020: Informal Proposal

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Rafe
Council Member

Re: Comic for February 8th, 2020: Informal Proposal

#16 Post by Rafe »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:23 am ...Sadly I doubt they will have time for a kiss let alone for Trace to figure out how you actually propose to the love of your life. With Clovis and co about to storm the castle, Brutus and Brows spacing from the prison and whatever eldritch abomination Trace kept in his lab trying to eat Maren the place is about to blow to sky high. That is even Drak Trace comes out to play.
Maybe a year from now, for them that is so 5 10 20 45 ? years for us. He will propose again:
"Remember a year ago? I did no know how back then, and I really did not had time to ask in that occasion but *kneels down and pops lore friendly engagement ring* will you marry me?"
From time to time people theorize that Tom might be thinking of making the tone more serious by killing off a major character. Obviously, some tragedy like that seems to be getting teed up for us with recent events. One thing occured to me that, while I wouldn't bet on it happening, just might be the that serious shocking thing - in a repeat of Trace's past life, Flora is killed.

Is it likely? We really don't know. As I said, I wouldn't bet on it, but it might. And if not, some things almost as tragic involving Flora and their child could happen in this volatile situation that everyone in the cast is almost ignoring at the moment.

Tiennos
Citizen

#17 Post by Tiennos »

Don't worry Trace, it's fine. Who cares about tradition and protocol? Let's get these two married already!

And I'm sure Princess Reni has the authority to officiate the wedding right there. Or close enough.
I'm adorable !

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#18 Post by Dadrobit »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:23 am
Elemental Templar wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:44 pm
***Side Note: Anyone else think that Kat's gonna go crazy-excited at the idea of making wedding dresses?***
*Also yes Kat will be terribly excited to make everyone wedding dresses and suit. Until she realizes how much [expletive] work they take to make
I dunno, there's likely going to be a serious reaction but it may not be entirely positive. Recall that Trace and Flora is a representation and reminder of the thing she desired so dearly, and is for the foreseeable future the thing she will never have. A mutually loving and intimate relationship with Eric.

It may be another reaction akin to the scenario where she went above and beyond with Natani's vest by hardening her resolve with spite. However the more direct assault to her fantasy that this is may as well just end up purely hurting her.

Elemental Templar
Merchant

#19 Post by Elemental Templar »

Dadrobit wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:36 pm
***Side Note: Anyone else think that Kat's gonna go crazy-excited at the idea of making wedding dresses?***
*Also yes Kat will be terribly excited to make everyone wedding dresses and suit. Until she realizes how much [expletive] work they take to make
I dunno, there's likely going to be a serious reaction but it may not be entirely positive. Recall that Trace and Flora is a representation and reminder of the thing she desired so dearly, and is for the foreseeable future the thing she will never have. A mutually loving and intimate relationship with Eric.

It may be another reaction akin to the scenario where she went above and beyond with Natani's vest by hardening her resolve with spite. However the more direct assault to her fantasy that this is may as well just end up purely hurting her.
Oh... :shock:
I Actually forgot about her crush on Eric, and now that you bring it up I'm hoping that if we do get an actual ceremony for Trace and Flora; Kat won't try to pull an Envious-Of-Your-Happiness act of revenge.
"There are Two kinds of people in this world:
Those who wait for change, and those who make changes themselves. Which one are you?" -Anonymous

JohnTheWysard
Apprentice

#20 Post by JohnTheWysard »

Flora may want to quote Dorothy Parker (if I'm remembering aright). A publisher suggested she write a piece on some subject, and she turned down the idea, saying "While I may reject your proposals, be assured that I will continue to welcome your advances!"

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora, Nora, Kat.

#21 Post by Hulk10 »

Aww so cute. :heart: :flora:
Hulk is strongest one there is -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

Rafe
Council Member

#22 Post by Rafe »

JohnTheWysard wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:49 am Flora may want to quote Dorothy Parker (if I'm remembering aright). A publisher suggested she write a piece on some subject, and she turned down the idea, saying "While I may reject your proposals, be assured that I will continue to welcome your advances!"
Dorothy Parker had a cynical outlook on love. She also wrote:

“By the time you swear you're his,
Shivering and sighing.
And he vows his passion is,
Infinite, undying.
Lady make note of this --
One of you is lying.”

Warrl
Grand Templar

#23 Post by Warrl »

And she did a stint as a literary critic. "This is not a book to be put aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force."

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#24 Post by AmigaDragon »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:23 am Now that you mention it didn't Trace proposed by accident way back when she gave Flora the necklace? And Flora reciprocated with the Flower a couple months later. I mean the fact he made it by accident should be enough reason for him to try it again but technically aren't they engaged already?
He declared her his mate to the basitins (in their own language), so it wasn't all accident before this.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Bellhead1
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#25 Post by Bellhead1 »

Definitely. There's no way it's been an accident this long. The necklace was an accident, but the flower, the declaration and now the proposal, were all intentional.

PS: I am actually Bellhead. Went to change my email, now I can't get my account reactivated... :(

Hayate
The Hidden User

#26 Post by Hayate »

Bellhead1 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:44 pmPS: I am actually Bellhead. Went to change my email, now I can't get my account reactivated... :(
Sounds like we will have to sort that out later
~Hayate~
--Moderator/Global Moderator
--

--Forum Rules--
--Moderators --
--Administrators
--

steelabjur
Council Member

#27 Post by steelabjur »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:00 pm This is interesting and Flora face is cute as always.
I like this because in most of the amnesiac protagonist stories around the guy can't remember a day before the "incident",whatever made him amnesiac, but still speaks 4 languages, knows three different martial arts and can knows how to operate heavy machinery and fly helicopters. Here Trace has no idea how to propose, which make a helll of a lot sense.
Also I did not expected Flora to be the type of girl is really into these type of fairly standardized rituals: Proposing, marriage, big weddings with friends and family etc. I imagined the kind of girl you propose on the morning and you are signed the paperwork by night.
In any case this is a good excuse to see the how Keidran propose, we have not a clear picture of how that works in Mekkan, we just assume humans is the same, and I really look forward to see how Tom reinvents such an old ritual like asking someone to marry you.
Flora was raised among humans for a good portion of her life, so her expecting Trace to propose in a more "traditional" manner does make a degree of sense.
Moreover, (I can't believe I'm just now realizing this) I think in in the few interactions humans and keidran have had over the centuries that don't involve war and/or enslavement; some of their customs in regards to marriage and courtship have blended. As seen with Laura, she kept a locket with both a lock of Keith's fur, and a subtle seed-crystal; the same type that humans use to propose, and Keith asked permission from her family to court her, which seems more like something you'd do more a typical town, rather than a tribal village. Furthermore, the crystallizing of subtle seeds, is probably derivative from the keidran tradition of gifting subtle-flowers to lovers. Probably as a way of better symbolizing the permanence of the bond.

And even if keidran do have a more tribalistic culture, they do seem to have wedding ceremonies in ways we think of in regards to western civilization. As evident by Laura's Life-Flashing-Before-My-Eyes moment, and from Flora's imagination way back from chapter 2 (albeit this was a very long time ago and could either have retconned by Tom, or could've been a frame-of-reference thing due to her human upbringing)

But either way, It seem that the plot bullet that is amnesia has ricocheted back into the story; and I'm thankful for a moment of brightness just before Things Start To Go South; but am still looking forward to the inevitable ceremony though

What I meant was I did not consider Flora the type of girl that "likes" that kind of stuff. The kind that dreams walking down the aisle in a white wedding dress to marry her dashing prince charming. Given her upbringing and her relationship with Trace I imagined to be the more practical type of person. The kind of person who lives with his significant other for 5 years before marrying and only does it because it would mean lower taxes. The kind of person who values feeling over ceremony.
Alas she did mentioned once she dreamed of living on the Trace state when she was a child and got all giddy when Trace called her "Mrs Legacy" And, at the end she was a bit dissapointed that Trace did not propose properly. So maybe she hoped for a white wedding, with all her friends and his dashing prince. She just never thought it would actually happen.

And you are right there seems to be a significant overlap in the way races get married, specially that obsession with the unaptly named sublteseed. After all I doubt Trace and Flore are the first mixed couple ever and sure they wont be the last. I am not entirely sure this was intended by Tom or just a happy accident but it is a neat detail i hope does not get rolled over in the future.

Now that you mention it didn't Trace proposed by accident way back when she gave Flora the necklace? And Flora reciprocated with the Flower a couple months later. I mean the fact he made it by accident should be enough reason for him to try it again but technically aren't they engaged already?
One of Flora's biggest hang ups is feeling rejected for being an Outsider/ being "Other'd" due to her race by Humans. Being treated as a "normal girl" and accepted as such by her Human lover is a big thing for her. She might be informal about many things, but where her relationship is concerned, I feel she'd want a very Human proposal and wedding. In some ways her story is like Cinderella, from the girl nobody wanted, to now marrying her "Prince Charming" (complete with title and castle!)

Stunner
Fav. Twokinds Character: Nora

#28 Post by Stunner »

As someone who asked their now-spouse to marry them in an unorthodox way, I feel that last panel. :mrgreen:

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#29 Post by Dadrobit »

Stunner wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:51 am As someone who asked their now-spouse to marry them in an unorthodox way, I feel that last panel. :mrgreen:
Yeah, had an unorthodox marriage just last weekend with my brother funnily enough.

His now wife was having her baby shower and my brother arranged for the whole family on both sides to be there so that he could propose in front of everyone, and then get married right then and there without nearly anyone aware beforehand. She wanted her wedding to be a surprise and he pulled it off. Took maybe a half hour to go from opening diaper gifts to cutting the cake, they just had to wait for the officiator he put on standby to arrive. :mrgrin:

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#30 Post by Bellhead »

I'd like to point out Keith's reaction to this. Arms folded, smiling. It was as if he knew, by the way they were standing there, that he was going to propose. He almost looks proud to see them take that step.

Would be nice to see Natani's reaction to all this, what with the interspecies factor and whatnot. Too bad he doesn't know much human. :roll:
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.