Comic for January 25, 2020: Old Plans Reawakened

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

AndreRhineDavis
Templar Master

Re: Comic for January 25, 2020: Old Plans Reawakened

#46 Post by AndreRhineDavis »

Rafe wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:39 pm
AndreRhineDavis wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:11 pm I feel like Sythe is gonna go running out being like "Trace Trace we need your help! Maren and I were together in a room and she touched a table and she vanished!" "What were you and Maren doing in a room together?"...
You left out, "...and why aren't you wearing any pants?"
Since when has Sythe worn pants in general though xP
multilis wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:06 am Not sure we really know what is going on... eg old Evil Trace might not have been entirely Trace anymore, but may been pawn who was getting increasingly controlled by some older more evil entity... chapter 6 flora became possessed, evil Trace may have been possessed and told lies about bringing back his dead wife to keep him from resisting being possessed, and the final goal may be something much different and more evil than dead wife Saria and the look like Saria part was just to string Trace along to use his power to make it happen.
Now *that's* an interesting idea...

Rafe
Council Member

#47 Post by Rafe »

I can't help but see how the plot is starting to resemble the 1983 film The Man with Two Brains (directed by Carl Reiner starring Steve Martin).

Basically, Steve Martin plays neurosurgeon Dr. Michael Hfuhruhurr, who, while visiting a mad scientist type colleague Dr. Alfred Necessiter, finds he can communicate with one of Dr. Necessiter's disembodied brains, named Anne Uumellmahaye (voiced by Sissy Spacek). They fall in love, and Dr. Hfuhruhurr goes on a deperate search for a body for Anne.

Anyway, brilliant movie. maybe some of you have seen it - and my favorite Steve Martin film second only to Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#48 Post by Bellhead »

tony1695 wrote:snip
That gave me a worrying thought. Trace openly said "I remove your restrictions". does that ONLY apply to Rose? Or anything in earshot? Could it have affected this tentacle darkness thing as well?

The painting of Saria shown in that panel looks a lot like the one from when they first arrived, so now I'm thinking that whatever this thing is, it's loose in the Estate and no longer confined. And knowing who Trace used to be, I don't know if Rose would be able to stop it, or if it's stronger than her.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

steelabjur
Council Member

#49 Post by steelabjur »

Bellhead wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:06 am
That gave me a worrying thought. Trace openly said "I remove your restrictions". does that ONLY apply to Rose? Or anything in earshot? Could it have affected this tentacle darkness thing as well?

The painting of Saria shown in that panel looks a lot like the one from when they first arrived, so now I'm thinking that whatever this thing is, it's loose in the Estate and no longer confined. And knowing who Trace used to be, I don't know if Rose would be able to stop it, or if it's stronger than her.
I feel the Rose we've seen is part of The Thing In The Room and doesn't know it, sort of like a program running on a computer system, and Trace just gave her Admin access. I think the reason this could be something important later is, like a virus with Admin access on your computer, she can now really wreck stuff on the system if she needs to, maybe even take over completely.

multilis wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:06 am Not sure we really know what is going on... eg old Evil Trace might not have been entirely Trace anymore, but may been pawn who was getting increasingly controlled by some older more evil entity... chapter 6 flora became possessed, evil Trace may have been possessed and told lies about bringing back his dead wife to keep him from resisting being possessed, and the final goal may be something much different and more evil than dead wife Saria and the look like Saria part was just to string Trace along to use his power to make it happen.
I don't think he was possessed like Flora per se, but I think his grief at Saria's death and the corruption caused from tinkering with black magic trying to bring her back left him in a diminished mental capacity that was then taken advantage of by the Mask that spoke to Neutral after it was defeated by Trace who used him as a pawn. I also suspect the Mask in question also manipulated him while being close at hand, possessing another for convenience (the Master Mage of the Master Templars specifically, who's even depicted wearing a Mask-like mask on the Characters page and has a rather redundant title and position in a mage-focused group like the Templars with the Grand Templar in place if you think about it). I highly suspect that EBSH might actually be that Mask trying to influence the new Trace because his removal has slowed his plans and Trace has destroyed a couple of Towers by that point, and they are critical to the Mask's plans.

Why would a Mask do this indirectly rather than possess it's target directly? Safety. Think about what happened to Neutral when it possessed Flora. It got broke and wouldn't be able to pull itself together until it would be far too late to do anything to save it's chosen people (which is why Neutral made crossbreeding possible, to save what it could of the Keidran bloodline), so we're talking a considerable amount of time before it is strong enough to meddle directly again. They're not invincible gods and can be sent packing back to their own plane, for awhile at least (and this is probably why they give dragons a wide berth too, a Dragon like Nora might not be able to kill a Mask, but could certainly ship it back home to lick it's wounds for a very long time).

As for what The Thing In The Room plans to do with Maren, my guess is treat her like an old hard drive, reformat then replace with Saria.exe (programmed by Evil!Trace using the finest madness-tinged and corrupted memories of her he had at the time). The physical differences between Maren and Saria are minor enough that they wouldn't be a problem to change for a person who is able to give a human a permanent extra set of keidran ears because they were annoying him (:karen:).

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: When in doubt, Nibbly!

#50 Post by CrRAR »

AndreRhineDavis wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:49 am
We know the masks intervened to erase Trace's memories, though we don't quite know if that was in conjunction, individually, or a unianimous decision. We've heard that they are constantly at play against each other sometimes in alliance manipulating worldly forces to express their will, doing both "good" and "bad".

I wonder if it's less of a case of the masks having control but rather Trace becoming a bit too big for his britches. Something they were losing control of. "He shouldn't be able to call the shots, he's just a mere mortal."

Maybe it's case of our boy Icarus flying a bit too close to the sun.

:twisted:
steelabjur wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:40 pm It got broke and wouldn't be able to pull itself together until it would be far too late to do anything to save it's chosen people (which is why Neutral made crossbreeding possible, to save what it could of the Keidran bloodline)
Excellent point(s)! Also I wanted to emphasize that the extremeness of Trace's plan to eradicate all Keidran is still very much in motion by that mask's assessment.

Like... the implication that making hybrids possible is that they are all still going to perish. Maybe now even moreso that the estate has been awakened. (;_;)

Now back to our heroes! :flora: :trace: :keith: :natani: :Maddie: :kathrin:
Rafe wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:01 am *The Man With Two Brains recommendation*
I'll have to check this out. lol
:natani:╯ ︵┻━┻
Fight the power!

steelabjur
Council Member

#51 Post by steelabjur »

CrRAR wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:51 pm
We know the masks intervened to erase Trace's memories, though we don't quite know if that was in conjunction, individually, or a unianimous decision. We've heard that they are constantly at play against each other sometimes in alliance manipulating worldly forces to express their will, doing both "good" and "bad".

I wonder if it's less of a case of the masks having control but rather Trace becoming a bit too big for his britches. Something they were losing control of. "He shouldn't be able to call the shots, he's just a mere mortal."

The two Masks we've seen in the comic (the one linked in my previous post that you quoted) specify that Neutral/Ephemural has dominion over the Keidran race ("You've fallen apart. Just like your little race.") while the other (I'll call him "Elf Ears" since we don't have a name for it) has dominion over humans ("It was a bold move, altering the mind of my warrior." "Until only my race shall rule this earth."). The conflict between the Masks seem to be the the fuel for the conflict between the races.
We know that Neutral was responsible for erasing Trace's memory so that he and Flora could get close. Neutral was intending that they would get close, then Neutral would break them apart, all to taint Flora's opinion against humans (and Trace specifically) when she went on to marry Sythe and create an alliance between Wolf and Tiger clans, ultimately so the Clans would act together against the Templar threat. She never expected that they would fall in love and resist her attempt to break them apart so... violently.
steelabjur wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:40 pm It got broke and wouldn't be able to pull itself together until it would be far too late to do anything to save it's chosen people (which is why Neutral made crossbreeding possible, to save what it could of the Keidran bloodline)
Excellent point(s)! Also I wanted to emphasize that the extremeness of Trace's plan to eradicate all Keidran is still very much in motion by that mask's assessment.

Like... the implication that making hybrids possible is that they are all still going to perish. Maybe now even moreso that the estate has been awakened. (;_;)

Now back to our heroes! :flora: :trace: :keith: :natani: :Maddie: :kathrin:
Elf Ears called out Neutral's cleverness in setting it up so that Trace and Flora could meet and fall in love as opposed to just killing him because "You knew if you killed him, more would just take his place."

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#52 Post by Technic[Bot] »

tony1695 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:20 am So, Maren was always intended to act as a replacement body for Saria. That's not what has me thinking. What has me thinking is just what state the new 'Saria' is in.

Did Evil!Trace find a way to take a soul from the afterlife, which would make Maren into a sort-of phylactery? Given how Saria seems to be happy that Trace has a new girl in his life, I can't imagine that she'd be happy with the situation and would want a way to reverse the process.

Or it could be something akin to Ghost Laura. An echo formed from memories. Given this is Evil!Trace, odds are this echo would also share his animosity towards non-humans, which makes the fact that Maren is currently in the same room as a naked wolf a bad start to this all. This would also be the one that would be harder to reverse, given that this 'Saria' would likely fight against it. And there's also the huge energy drain this process incurs. Either 'Saria' would be confined to the estate and be stuck leeching energy from... prisoners or slaves, really, Evil!Trace after all, or Maren's body would deteriorate and break down in a matter of weeks at best.

We're also not taking Rose into account. Trace removed her restrictions. Odds are she's now aware of this plan, and may be able to intervene. Even if that intervention is little more than teleporting into the room and pulling Maren's hand off the table before the spell can override her soul/brain.
I do not think Trace plan was to simply gonna put Saria soul into Maren body. I mean if he could simply summon Saria soul from the afterlife i think he would have resurrected her long ago. And as you point out Saria would probably would not like the idea either. Of cour we would miss a potentially good scene where Saria, in Maren's body confronts Traces for all he has done and what he has become, not just a shadow of the man she had loved but turned into a monster alright.
At the end i do think he is just trying to make a copy of his deceased wife, not the ideal but the best he can.
steelabjur wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:40 pm
Bellhead wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:06 am

I feel the Rose we've seen is part of The Thing In The Room and doesn't know it, sort of like a program running on a computer system, and Trace just gave her Admin access. I think the reason this could be something important later is, like a virus with Admin access on your computer, she can now really wreck stuff on the system if she needs to, maybe even take over completely.

I don't think he was possessed like Flora per se, but I think his grief at Saria's death and the corruption caused from tinkering with black magic trying to bring her back left him in a diminished mental capacity that was then taken advantage of by the Mask that spoke to Neutral after it was defeated by Trace who used him as a pawn. I also suspect the Mask in question also manipulated him while being close at hand, possessing another for convenience (the Master Mage of the Master Templars specifically, who's even depicted wearing a Mask-like mask on the Characters page and has a rather redundant title and position in a mage-focused group like the Templars with the Grand Templar in place if you think about it). I highly suspect that EBSH might actually be that Mask trying to influence the new Trace because his removal has slowed his plans and Trace has destroyed a couple of Towers by that point, and they are critical to the Mask's plans.

Why would a Mask do this indirectly rather than possess it's target directly? Safety. Think about what happened to Neutral when it possessed Flora. It got broke and wouldn't be able to pull itself together until it would be far too late to do anything to save it's chosen people (which is why Neutral made crossbreeding possible, to save what it could of the Keidran bloodline), so we're talking a considerable amount of time before it is strong enough to meddle directly again. They're not invincible gods and can be sent packing back to their own plane, for awhile at least (and this is probably why they give dragons a wide berth too, a Dragon like Nora might not be able to kill a Mask, but could certainly ship it back home to lick it's wounds for a very long time).

As for what The Thing In The Room plans to do with Maren, my guess is treat her like an old hard drive, reformat then replace with Saria.exe (programmed by Evil!Trace using the finest madness-tinged and corrupted memories of her he had at the time). The physical differences between Maren and Saria are minor enough that they wouldn't be a problem to change for a person who is able to give a human a permanent extra set of keidran ears because they were annoying him (:karen:).
Honestly i do not really like the idea of Trace being controlled by external forces. It removes agency from him. Right now he is/was? a grief stricken and broken man unable to bear his wife death but strong and delusional enough to believe he can bring her back or at least wipe out all who, in his mind, killed his wife. He has a sympathetic streak. Like the most recent joker, he is a crazy psycho but you can't help to feel just a bit sorry for him.
If he is simply controlled by something else he turns him into the standard fire emblem mad antagonist. Evil to the bone but only because he is possessed by some otherworldly evil, who by the way lacks any reason to be evil. He is not evil himself he was made evil by something else.
Also if he is not controlled he can actually atone for his many sins, or at least try. If he is just a pawn, we he really has nothing to atone for.

Yet i like the Mask as vilains (?) They do not care for the people on their world, for the same reason we do not care about our pieces in a chess match or our cards in poker. For them they are not real people, they are toys, at best. That makes him very dangeours, what is to say they do not decide to kill all and start the game anew? And gives them a slight lovecraftian vibe without being too much to scare people who are not into that sort of thing.
Which I think makes an interesting comparison with, well us readers, we know the characters does not exits but Tom has, somehow, made us care. We are on the opposite perspective of the mask.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: When in doubt, Nibbly!

#53 Post by CrRAR »

steelabjur wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:31 pm

The two Masks we've seen in the comic (the one linked in my previous post that you quoted) specify that Neutral/Ephemural has dominion over the Keidran race ("You've fallen apart. Just like your little race.") while the other (I'll call him "Elf Ears" since we don't have a name for it) has dominion over humans ("It was a bold move, altering the mind of my warrior." "Until only my race shall rule this earth."). The conflict between the Masks seem to be the the fuel for the conflict between the races.
We know that Neutral was responsible for erasing Trace's memory so that he and Flora could get close. Neutral was intending that they would get close, then Neutral would break them apart, all to taint Flora's opinion against humans (and Trace specifically) when she went on to marry Sythe and create an alliance between Wolf and Tiger clans, ultimately so the Clans would act together against the Templar threat. She never expected that they would fall in love and resist her attempt to break them apart so... violently.
OK, yes yes yes, I forgot a bit about "Elf Ears" I did remember him commending the brilliance to Neutral, I had forgotten the tone. Excellent assessments. It really is a grandiose game of chess for supremacy. Trace being not killed... but sidelined then buys time... time for the extra race to emerge. Elf ears is then doing well keeping the Keidran divided, and overseeing their fall. With Brahn having divided the Wolves x Tigers there is even less of a chance of a successful resistance. Though the Tigers are formidable on their own. Hmm. So we have Clovis... on a bit of a personal heist/rescue mission having obtained the amulet after a job well done (who may soon experience buyers remorse upon discovering what lurks). We have our heroes who really represent the beginning of a new race, being mixed and the first among them the mother of a hybrid... and Raine... Raine is an important aspect of all this.

What interests me now then, is the current estate arc could well change the course of things as there's lots of variables concerning folks that seem to be splinter agents. Clovis did a favor for "Elf Ears" by helping Brahn, Our group are doing a favor for Neutral making hybrids... Whatever this is that Trace worked on in his crazy-time at the estate (other than I suppose the tower plans) I think has the chance to backfire on Elf Ears, it may just be something that could alter events significantly enough for the Masks to need to readjust. Anything Trace did discover would have acted to serve his own aims; he was happy to be peaceful before with Saria and his insanity was caused by his last ditch effort to resume being peaceful with Saria - THEN he became an agent of "Elf Ears".

At any rate, the voices don't seem to have much issue with how long the plan has taken to come together. Come what may, if nothing else, just maybe more chaos. :twisted:
:natani:╯ ︵┻━┻
Fight the power!

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#54 Post by aitaituo »

The masks are officially called Chaos, Neutral, and Order. "Elf ears" is generally thought to be Chaos, since presumably Order is the one who's the patron of the basitins.

AndreRhineDavis
Templar Master

#55 Post by AndreRhineDavis »

aitaituo wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:10 am The masks are officially called Chaos, Neutral, and Order. "Elf ears" is generally thought to be Chaos, since presumably Order is the one who's the patron of the basitins.
Just want to add that I seem to remember Tom saying that the masks are not like definitively associated with the races; like it's not like each mask is necessarily associated with one of the races who they're trying to "make win". The masks are playing a very complicated game, and during the course of this game they may side with a particular race or particular faction, but having that race/faction win is not their end goal in itself, it is only something that will help them achieve their end goal, whatever that may be. I imagine the end goals are what their names say: total order, total chaos, and total balance/neutrality. The point is that Neutral is not like "the patron mask of the Keidran". Right now they are siding with the Keidran and want the Keidran to survive, but if events were different they might decide to oppose the Keidran and favour and help a different race instead. Same with the other masks.

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#56 Post by aitaituo »

AndreRhineDavis wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:24 pm
aitaituo wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:10 am The masks are officially called Chaos, Neutral, and Order. "Elf ears" is generally thought to be Chaos, since presumably Order is the one who's the patron of the basitins.
Just want to add that I seem to remember Tom saying that the masks are not like definitively associated with the races; like it's not like each mask is necessarily associated with one of the races who they're trying to "make win". The masks are playing a very complicated game, and during the course of this game they may side with a particular race or particular faction, but having that race/faction win is not their end goal in itself, it is only something that will help them achieve their end goal, whatever that may be. I imagine the end goals are what their names say: total order, total chaos, and total balance/neutrality. The point is that Neutral is not like "the patron mask of the Keidran". Right now they are siding with the Keidran and want the Keidran to survive, but if events were different they might decide to oppose the Keidran and favour and help a different race instead. Same with the other masks.
Yeah, I struggled with the right word to describe their relationship to their races. At one point Tom said that they are stuck with their respective races, though, that the associated mask would die if every member of their race died, which explains why Ephemural was resorting to having some keidran blood survive through hybrids. That's a pretty old post, so it may well be different now.

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora, Nora, Kat.

#57 Post by Hulk10 »

I don't like this development....... I worry about Trace and Flora's relationship........ Drama like this is unpleasant........... :(

There is always another unpleasant plot twist around the corner isn't there?
Hulk is strongest one there is -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

AndreRhineDavis
Templar Master

#58 Post by AndreRhineDavis »

aitaituo wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:18 pm
AndreRhineDavis wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:24 pm
Yeah, I struggled with the right word to describe their relationship to their races. At one point Tom said that they are stuck with their respective races, though, that the associated mask would die if every member of their race died, which explains why Ephemural was resorting to having some keidran blood survive through hybrids. That's a pretty old post, so it may well be different now.
Huh, that's different to what I remember. Maybe I'm misremembering, or maybe Tom has changed his mind.
After doing some research, all I could find was this:
Tom wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:42 pm The masks/demigods are in a feud, and are using their races as the game pieces. They want to see which of their races is the best. Their names (evil, neutral, and good) don't really mean anything, it's just names given to them by the mortals. Each race calls the masks different names in their language.

Anyway, Neutral controls the keidran. And right now, she's losing, which is why the Black Mask is so much bigger then her at the moment. Their existance is dependant of their race.
As you said, this is quite old, from 2005. And Tom mentions the masks as being named Good, Neutral, and Evil, rather than Order, Neutral, and Chaos.
I honestly can't remember where I heard the information I said. Maybe it was from a livestream, or from some comment somewhere, or from a trustworthy forum member who themselves had heard Tom say it on a stream or something. Either way, I guess you should take what I say here about the Masks with a grain of salt, until other people can corroborate it. :)

Chicken Man
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: The pizza

#59 Post by Chicken Man »

Saria is the diddly devil in disguise! Omen child! She diddly didn't mean to ding dong doodly die! She possessed the Trace with dark mysterious magic to revive her so she can be zombie queen! Then Maren! Possess Maren so she can be the vampire queen!
I'll cross the road and cluck with you.

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora, Nora, Kat.

#60 Post by Hulk10 »

Seems like I'm the only one who is worried about Trace and Flora's relationship. I'm also worried about Maren too.
Hulk is strongest one there is -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.