Comic for January 25, 2020: Old Plans Reawakened

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: When in doubt, Nibbly!

Re: Comic for January 25, 2020: Old Plans Reawakened

#31 Post by CrRAR »

Ddraig wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:17 pm
CrRAR wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:59 amRose as we’ve seen her so far is very much her own genuine personality as far as we know... she feels affection for Raine and carries on like she is intact (though she did that one time ask if the her she was being addresed as is ‘me’,foreshadowing potentially existing among other(s)). Maybe she has knowledge of them, she seems to be compartmentalized to herself though enough to be “whole”, but is able to “feel” around the estate like they can.
C) left her personality untouched (my current theory). In so doing, I don't see him making multiple copies of Rose - or, at least, I don't see him keeping previous copies - but I do see him attempting to recreate Saria with black magic and have what's in the Manor be his work-in-progress that was left behind when he lost his memories.
Yeah! I don’t think from what we know now of “the thing” that it is Rose or copies of her. Describing it as “thing” in itself indicates a monsterous creation beyond humanity or traditional sense of an organism. Some form of sentience though from some source or another.

I think Rose will emerge as a counter-force against whatever we’re being introduced to. Rose self-proclaims her existence there is to serve the memory of Saria. She has guided the the group it seems away from the estate’s worst with mindful warning. She credits Saria as “the reason I’m here”. Somewhat discounting Trace’s part in the whole mess. So I think if it comes to allegiance it will be against any affront Trace’s machinations are hoping to achieve. She’s not going to like Trace’s freaky body-snatcher plot one bit, it’s disrespectful. What alarms me about that is that being a part of the estate is that there may be consequences for her to intervene too directly.

She may be bound to only providing passive assistance from direct harm, not to thwart the estate’s intended scheme. Hence why she may not have considered preventing the stonebro saga sooner.

Like a lawyer, she may not be able to stop Trace’s freaky rule of law, but she can attempt to provide a compassionate outcome for those tangled in it. Let’s just hope things don’t get so sideways she’s forced to get so bold to take a shot at the forces presiding. I don’t think they’ll like that.
:natani:╯ ︵┻━┻
Fight the power!

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#32 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Well that explains a lot of things.
Mainly what was Trace. Grand Wizard Templar and prime keidran génocidaire* Doing in the rear end of the world. AKA Red's and Maren's village. I mean so far the best explanation was:
Dark Trace wrote: Damn those necromancy experiments. Can't make them work for the life of me. Might as well take a vacation, maybe visit my old pal Red. Alsop didn't his friend Maren looked a lot like Saria? *nod* *nod* *wink* *wink* 1313
Or more generally him just doing standard evil stuff like killing random wolves.
But getting some "host" for his necromancy? That dude is messed up...
At least this confirms, mostly, that Rose is not the thing in the room. Well maybe her body "is" in the room. But I imagine it is a different experiment. And I also suppose she has no idea what are those things. After all she may be the castle administrator but I doutb that Trace informed her of any of his "actual" research.
Regarding that I was hoping he was no longer trying to bring back Saria. You know after going back to the far recesses of Hell to find a way to resurrect her he finds out that nope, not possible, even using all the necromancy and dark magic he could find. That would break him more than any black forces could. His currents attempt at war and Keidran cleaning more his destructive impulses taking hold. If he cannot bring back Saria at least he could wipe out every Keidran on his planet, even if he destroys everything else along the way.
Also that reminds me of a quote from a videogame. (Fable II)
Back then he only tried to bring his family back, now...
Give a beggar money and he will buy food untill full. Then he will realize food is not the only thing for sale.
Interesting quote, bland game.
I mean if he found out a way to bring back Saria, or something. What else he, a clearly disturbed, power hungry and messed up individual. might do with that power...
Now that you mention it Trace seems like an archetypical fire emblem antagonist...
{En cualquier caso a nuestros heroes se les enchahuistlearon las milpas muy cabron}
Anyhow our heroes are now into some deep [explicit] now. The thing in the room is gonna do, lord knows what to Maren. There is Brutus and Brows in the basement and Clovis and Co are about to break in. Not to mention that if Trace goes into his secret lab again he will probably revert to Dark Trace again...
So exciting! For us that is...

*Really getting that dictionary moneys worth
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Warrl
Grand Templar

#33 Post by Warrl »

SpottedKitty wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:18 am I'm trying to remember... thinking back a few pages to Maren and Sythe coming into the Oasis Room, did we ever settle whether Maren's comment of "he never invited me here before" was about the estate or just the Oasis? I think it must be the estate itself she's never seen before, since she didn't know about the tables. And the creepy thing behind the rose seal definitely can't have seen her before. The thot plickens... :shock:
Considering that her tavern was on the other side of the human lands, she's probably never been to this area before.

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#34 Post by aitaituo »

steelabjur wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:57 pm Is it just me, or are there bubbles behind the cracked red glass?
I see it. The bubble effect seems to be rising up from between panels five and six. I think this is supposed to be an artifact of the...thing's vision. The crack in panel four also extends into the table in panel three.

I think this thing is Trace's black smoke thing. My first read was it was two voices talking to each other, but looking again I think it could be one voice talking to itself. The "we" at the end could refer to the smoke thing and evil Trace.

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#35 Post by AmigaDragon »

aitaituo wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:42 am I think this thing is Trace's black smoke thing. My first read was it was two voices talking to each other, but looking again I think it could be one voice talking to itself. The "we" at the end could refer to the smoke thing and evil Trace.
No, the smoke thing is old (evil) Trace's subconscious peeking out to new Trace (which nobody else has seen, only him), which for now he has more or less suppressed. While these voices might possibly be based on his old personality, they are existing separate from him and smoke thing.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

steelabjur
Council Member

#36 Post by steelabjur »

AmigaDragon wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:37 am
aitaituo wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:42 am I think this thing is Trace's black smoke thing. My first read was it was two voices talking to each other, but looking again I think it could be one voice talking to itself. The "we" at the end could refer to the smoke thing and evil Trace.
No, the smoke thing is old (evil) Trace's subconscious peeking out to new Trace (which nobody else has seen, only him), which for now he has more or less suppressed. While these voices might possibly be based on his old personality, they are existing separate from him and smoke thing.
Evil Black Smoke Hallucination also spoke in White Text, this is speaking in Red Text, suggesting a different speaker. Last time we saw EBSH comment was during Lifting the Veil, objecting to Trace unshackling Rose from Evil!Trace's restrictions on her.

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster

#37 Post by CrRAR »

steelabjur wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:18 am
Evil Black Smoke Hallucination also spoke in White Text, this is speaking in Red Text, suggesting a different speaker. Last time we saw EBSH comment was during Lifting the Veil, objecting to Trace unshackling Rose from Evil!Trace's restrictions on her.
One thing of interest to me (top post, 2nd part) back during Flawed Recollection was the seeming divide up the middle of the creature in the flashback panel. Back then the difference was so stark I had mistaken the grout line as a panel frame, and 'lo and behold if you compare the two sides they look to be separate halves not of the same form...

(the hair appears different, the shoulder-lines are different, like... wut?)

Now, considering Maddie admittedly couldn't remember what she saw and this newest comic development, I'm thinking the shadowy glimpse there may have been a live-cut to the actual hallway. Further, with the revelation of the voices talking to one another this seems all the more significant, that it's not an individual, but maybe two from Trace's past fused... or existing symbiotically to some extent? One may be weaker than the other, if the voices are divided by the talkative one and the one that identifies Maren, only speaking to say, "It's... her!" "Maren." there may be a host-type relationship afoot. Unless it is truly hive-mindesque. I feel as though there is a more active actor (Magebro, dat you?) and a more latent... one perhaps? Freaky-deaky.

Just a bit more speculation to stoke the fires of suspense.
Fight the power!

Talancir
New Citizen

#38 Post by Talancir »

I'm going to make a long call bet here. Maren is eventually saved by using a transmutation bracelet to turn her into a Keidran. If her body was a component needed to bring Saria back to life, then sullying her appearance by changing its form might break / block the spell. Especially if Trace is no longer allowed to use his innate magic anymore.
Non nobis, Domine. Non nobis sed nomini tuo de gloriam.

AndreRhineDavis
Templar Master

#39 Post by AndreRhineDavis »

I feel like Sythe is gonna go running out being like "Trace Trace we need your help! Maren and I were together in a room and she touched a table and she vanished!" "What were you and Maren doing in a room together?" "Ummm never mind that now, just help find her!!!"
Sort of like how Natani ran out looking for Trace to help Keith when he was consumed by the Heart's Desire spell. "Trace Trace, I know this is a weird situation but I don't have time to explain it, we need your help because the [censored] has fit the fan".

I'm just really curious how Rose is going to react to all this...

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster

#40 Post by CrRAR »

AndreRhineDavis wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:11 pm I feel like Sythe is gonna go running out being like "Trace Trace we need your help! Maren and I were together in a room and she touched a table and she vanished!" "What were you and Maren doing in a room together?" "Ummm never mind that now, just help find her!!!"
Sythe (thinking he's clever): "Table! I... *gulp* want Maren back." >:3

*Indiana Jones theme starts briefly then record-screeches out*

House: "Tsch~ foolish, sod."

*immediately gets transported to dungeon with the other Wolves*

*surveys the scene, Brutus' gnawing at the cage bars while Roan looks on confounded as ever*

*Sythe, stands up, dusts off... and rolls up sleeves he doesn't have*

"Alright you sorry saps, we may only have being trapped here in common but wolves fight victoriously shoulder to shoulder for common cause! *squints eyes menacingly*

...lets kick some [censored]."

*awoooooo*
Fight the power!

Rafe
Council Member

#41 Post by Rafe »

AndreRhineDavis wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:11 pm I feel like Sythe is gonna go running out being like "Trace Trace we need your help! Maren and I were together in a room and she touched a table and she vanished!" "What were you and Maren doing in a room together?"...
You left out, "...and why aren't you wearing any pants?"

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#42 Post by Bellhead »

Rafe wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:39 pm
AndreRhineDavis wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:11 pm I feel like Sythe is gonna go running out being like "Trace Trace we need your help! Maren and I were together in a room and she touched a table and she vanished!" "What were you and Maren doing in a room together?"...
And.. "And what is THAT?"
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster

#43 Post by CrRAR »

Bellhead wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:33 am
Rafe wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:39 pm
And.. "And what is THAT?"
*Flora nudges in*

”Whisper whisper whisper~”

:shock:
Fight the power!

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#44 Post by tony1695 »

So, Maren was always intended to act as a replacement body for Saria. That's not what has me thinking. What has me thinking is just what state the new 'Saria' is in.

Did Evil!Trace find a way to take a soul from the afterlife, which would make Maren into a sort-of phylactery? Given how Saria seems to be happy that Trace has a new girl in his life, I can't imagine that she'd be happy with the situation and would want a way to reverse the process.

Or it could be something akin to Ghost Laura. An echo formed from memories. Given this is Evil!Trace, odds are this echo would also share his animosity towards non-humans, which makes the fact that Maren is currently in the same room as a naked wolf a bad start to this all. This would also be the one that would be harder to reverse, given that this 'Saria' would likely fight against it. And there's also the huge energy drain this process incurs. Either 'Saria' would be confined to the estate and be stuck leeching energy from... prisoners or slaves, really, Evil!Trace after all, or Maren's body would deteriorate and break down in a matter of weeks at best.

We're also not taking Rose into account. Trace removed her restrictions. Odds are she's now aware of this plan, and may be able to intervene. Even if that intervention is little more than teleporting into the room and pulling Maren's hand off the table before the spell can override her soul/brain.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

multilis
Citizen

#45 Post by multilis »

Not sure we really know what is going on... eg old Evil Trace might not have been entirely Trace anymore, but may been pawn who was getting increasingly controlled by some older more evil entity... chapter 6 flora became possessed, evil Trace may have been possessed and told lies about bringing back his dead wife to keep him from resisting being possessed, and the final goal may be something much different and more evil than dead wife Saria and the look like Saria part was just to string Trace along to use his power to make it happen.