Comic for December 28, 2019: Why not?

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

amenon
Grand Templar

Re: Comic for December 28, 2019: Why not?

#16 Post by amenon »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:22 pm She starts off with the usual expected objections, about them being a wolf and a human. But then, when Sythe rebuts that with a reference to Trace and Flora, her attitude changes. There's a beat, a moment of thought, before she violently rejects the idea. What was she thinking about, in that moment? Where did her mind go? I think it's clear from her comments that she didn't just think about Trace and Flora being together physically, but of their actual relationship.
Agreed, and I'd add that I think the reason Maren has been so off her game in this whole situation is precisely because they've been seeing Trace and Flora frolicking at the party and that's kind of... reminded Maren that it's possible to be like that with someone. And moreover one of the young idiots in love is Trace, who was her counterpart earlier in a probably quite different relationship -- and so if it's possible for Trace, then, might it not be possible for her as well?

I think that's why Sythe's line lands so hard for her in that third panel. He isn't just making a point, he's more or less saying what she's been thinking. (After already reading her on the last page with his hook up line!)

MuonNeutrino wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:22 pm And then, Sythe's response. Not only does he pay her a surprisingly ungrudging compliment (and I think her comment does suggest that it was something she was genuinely worried about), but he also explicitly disclaims the idea of a relationship. And suddenly, she's uncertain again. Suddenly, there's an excuse, a way to put an emotional barrier between her and the idea that scares her so much. A way she can say to herself that she's not *really* getting close to anyone, not *really* opening herself up to the prospect of being hurt again, that she can act on what she feels while still being 'safe'. (Now where have we seen something similar to that before?) And it's only *then* that she goes for it. That she can get past her conflict.
This part, while certainly plausible, I feel inclined to disagree with. I don't think it's Sythe's de-escalation that gets her, I think it's just the few beats of time. When she turns back to him, with the 'Why would you even want a relationship' line, I think she's already pretty ready to go for it, she just needs to trust that she understands where he's coming from. And I suspect she assumes, I suspect correctly, that Sythe is more interested than he could or would admit in his backing-off mode.

Consequently, in contrast to you...

MuonNeutrino wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:22 pm I wouldn't expect their outward attitudes towards each other to change. Even if they do end up in a more committed situation eventually, I wouldn't expect them to admit it or to stop teasing and snarking at each other. But I do think there's more potential here than either of them is comfortable admitting yet.
... I would expect a real increase in intimacy that might come as a surprise for one or both of them, but will come a new mutual understanding. Might not be immediate public fact, but a situation where they both know the score and have a care for each other's feelings.

Oh, and a glorious cuddling scene. But I think (hope!) that's a gimme, unless and until something explodes :P
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]:

greywolf
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Sythe

#17 Post by greywolf »

That's it, legacy estate is sure to explode now. Way to many good times had without disaster. Please let them at least get some cuddle time before the party ending invasion.

TheMouse
Templar GrandMaster

#18 Post by TheMouse »

Ha ha, that's my girl!
_____
Submission is not weakness.
It takes a far stronger will to submit with grace and dignity than to pretend to be strong.
Unknown wrote:Live your life in such a way that the Westboro Baptist Church will picket your funeral.

IHeartMaeve
Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve, obviously.

#19 Post by IHeartMaeve »

I don't ship it...

I don't ship it...

I don't ship it...

I SHIP IT!

(Sorry, couldn't help myself after seeing that meme one too many times.)
Maeve is so cute, they're thinking of renaming the Pokémon Ability known as Cute Charm, so it becomes "Maeve Charm."

Phaing
Master

#20 Post by Phaing »

Well I'll be damned.... :shock:

Maren is much braver than I gave her credit for.
Not the physical sort, we knew she had that. This is the other kind.

Neither of these chars were very high on my list of fav.s so far, but I may have to rethink that... if the yelling and arguing afterwards (or even during) can be held down to a dull roar.

And now you have me wondering what :natani: and :keith: are up to right about now. 8)
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

Loveknowsbest
Citizen

#21 Post by Loveknowsbest »

Makes me think...will zen and Kat be next? Will the mansion come under fire before any of the ships go forward? Stay tune next time on Twokinds.... but really who will be next? As for these two.. I like it I find it interesting to see where it goes. It has potential to be my 2nd favorite ship if done right we will see. Maren looks to be softening up to Keidran or at least to Sythe. Sythe is apparently moving on. So that good. This page was pretty good.

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#22 Post by AmigaDragon »

Phaing wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:21 am And now you have me wondering what :natani: and :keith: are up to right about now. 8)
I'll say lounging on the beach, I don't see either as the type to frolic in the water. Perhaps Reni and/or Karen asking how her brother is doing (and more questions about Nat's bindings).
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Eclipse
Templar Master

#23 Post by Eclipse »

AmigaDragon wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:06 pm
Eclipse wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:55 pm Looks like she wants to take up his offer, but she needs some liquid courage first.
Taking "liquid courage" on purpose in order to do something is just an excuse to let you do it, it's still an unimpaired conscious decision at this point.
I never said it wasn't. The fact that she wanted to go to his room pretty much implies that.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#24 Post by Bellhead »

Eclipse wrote:
AmigaDragon wrote:
Eclipse wrote: Looks like she wants to take up his offer, but she needs some liquid courage first.
Taking "liquid courage" on purpose in order to do something is just an excuse to let you do it, it's still an unimpaired conscious decision at this point.
I never said it wasn't. The fact that she wanted to go to his room pretty much implies that.
Makes a lot of sense for her at this point. She knows she'll stop herself before going all the way, with her nerves the way they are. But she also knows she wants to, and to some extent, trusts him. I highly doubt sex with a keidran was something on her mind before a minute ago, and whether she wants to be comfortable with it or not, there's not really any other way for her to get past that without several hours, or days, to think it over, by which time she'd surely come up with a plethora of reasons to say no.

So just like Natani and Keith in the bath on the ship, she knows it's now or never, and she doesn't want to miss it because she's too nervous.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Cosmacelf
Apprentice

#25 Post by Cosmacelf »

“Aren’t humans disgusting to you” probably harkens back to whatever happened to her when she was young, maybe she had a crush on a Keidren and was rebuffed with those words...

amenon
Grand Templar

#26 Post by amenon »

Another thought: Impending sex might be delayed for a grooming session, perhaps accompanied by some talk of the past. Coz the magic table can probably find a grooming kit, too!
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]:

Thecommander236

#27 Post by Thecommander236 »

Aaaaaahhhh, cute!
Art by my very good friend Arieann Pentagon.

Full Image

Cosmacelf
Apprentice

#28 Post by Cosmacelf »

amenon wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:21 pm Another thought: Impending sex might be delayed for a grooming session, perhaps accompanied by some talk of the past. Coz the magic table can probably find a grooming kit, too!
Yes indeed.

AndreRhineDavis
Templar Master

#29 Post by AndreRhineDavis »

Cosmacelf wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:00 pm “Aren’t humans disgusting to you” probably harkens back to whatever happened to her when she was young, maybe she had a crush on a Keidren and was rebuffed with those words...
I interpreted as "aren't humans disgusting to you?" as that one of (probably several) ways she suppressed her feelings for Sythe was "he wouldn't be interested in me anyway, he probably isn't attracted to humans at all". But I really like your interpretation too!

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#30 Post by MuonNeutrino »

amenon wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:21 pm This part, while certainly plausible, I feel inclined to disagree with. I don't think it's Sythe's de-escalation that gets her, I think it's just the few beats of time. When she turns back to him, with the 'Why would you even want a relationship' line, I think she's already pretty ready to go for it, she just needs to trust that she understands where he's coming from. And I suspect she assumes, I suspect correctly, that Sythe is more interested than he could or would admit in his backing-off mode.

Consequently, in contrast to you...
... I would expect a real increase in intimacy that might come as a surprise for one or both of them, but will come a new mutual understanding. Might not be immediate public fact, but a situation where they both know the score and have a care for each other's feelings.
I've been mulling over the strip and your post some more, and on further thought I'm not sure we actually disagree that much. I still think that she originally thought he was suggesting a relationship, and that that explains the vehemence of her reaction. But then, as you note, after a beat she asks him what he was thinking. I still think his de-escalation was needed, that she definitely wouldn't have gone for it otherwise, but you're right that she obviously reconsidered during that time, that she decided she had to ask. I'm not sure she was *already* ready to go for it when she asked that, but she was still *wanting* it. Wishing it were possible. That line feels like a 'what if?' to me.

Trace and Flora... they're together. Seriously. Is that... is he suggesting... could I... could we...? I... can I... let myself...? I... no. I can't. I can't do that. I can't risk that again, I just can't!
But... What if? I... I can't... but I want to. What if I'm wrong? What if he... what if I... I have to know.

I'm not sure that question was for *confirmation*, exactly, of where he's coming from, that she *already* thought he was thinking that way, but that she was *hoping* he was. I do think that she was more ready to go for it than she wanted to admit, but that like you said she needed to be sure he thought the same way - I'm just not sure she was *expecting* it so much as *hoping* for it.

I do think that both of them are more invested than they want to admit, and I do agree that they probably suspect it, they just don't want to admit it to themselves. I think at some level she probably does realize that the 'not a relationship' thing *is* somewhat of an excuse (on both their parts), she just isn't admitting it to herself because that would require facing her fears and she's not ready to do that yet.

As for the second part, I probably stated myself too strongly. I was mostly thinking of how Keith and Natani still tease and poke at each other, and going for the same idea here that even if they enter into a more comitted relationship they'll still probably continue to be teasing and snarky, just because that's who they are and how they relate to each other. But that doesn't necessarily preclude them *also* being warmer and more caring towards each other, with the teasing and snark being more affectionate than antagonistic, again similar to Keith and Natani in a way. I don't think it'll be quick, though, this is a thing they'll both have to feel their way into.