Comic for December 28, 2019: Why not?

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Rafe
Council Member

Re: Comic for December 28, 2019: Why not?

#31 Post by Rafe »

Sythe and Maren as a couple isn't something you could really see in the story line, but there's nothing far-fetched about it. They know each other well enough to have some mutual respect. Two mature, characters, on the worldly, even cynical side, who are unattached, and probably a little lonely (not that they would admit to it) seem like they're willing to at least try to get some comfort from each other. This is something different from the other relationships here. We have Trace and Flora, who just seem to have been made for each other, who went from being friends to lovers almost before they realized it was happening. And the very different story of Keith and Natani, who start as enemies, then by sheer accident found that they could trust each other with all their dark, painful secrets and loneliness - to the point where now they can't imagine living without each other. And we also have Zen and Kat, not together but sort of both as loose ends for now.

But as some of us have been pointing out, this all seems to be setting us up for some kind of serious shift in the story where outside forces (like Brahn and Clovis) are going to shake things up sooner rather than later. My fear is that it'll take five years to get back to our favorite relationships.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#32 Post by Bellhead »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:31 pm
I've been mulling over the strip and your post some more, and on further thought I'm not sure we actually disagree that much. I still think that she originally thought he was suggesting a relationship, and that that explains the vehemence of her reaction. But then, as you note, after a beat she asks him what he was thinking. I still think his de-escalation was needed, that she definitely wouldn't have gone for it otherwise, but you're right that she obviously reconsidered during that time, that she decided she had to ask. I'm not sure she was *already* ready to go for it when she asked that, but she was still *wanting* it. Wishing it were possible. That line feels like a 'what if?' to me.
That was kinda my interpretation. She went though denial of feelings, to denial of the request, then realization, then pause to reflect, and hasty, abrupt refusal followed by reconsideration and (probably) hesitant acceptance. Quite a lot of emotional turmoil for such a short amount of time.

And I'd wager that her decision to reconsider his proposition had a lot to do with how short that was. I'd bet if Sythe made his request for, say, a day or two away, she'd not have accepted at all, and would have shied away. That, or changed her mind later. Heck, she still might. I doubt it now, though, since she just went through all those feelings. She might not go for sex, but she'll definitely hang out with him outside the group, at least this once. It's just a matter of how fast she'll let herself go, at this point.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Talancir
New Citizen

#33 Post by Talancir »

but could Maren fall pregnant by Sythe?
Non nobis, Domine. Non nobis sed nomini tuo de gloriam.

Shockwave07
Apprentice

#34 Post by Shockwave07 »

Talancir wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:58 am but could Maren fall pregnant by Sythe?
I could imagine Maren's reaction being the same as her panel 4 reaction!

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#35 Post by AmigaDragon »

Talancir wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:58 am but could Maren fall pregnant by Sythe?
A few months ago, no she couldn't but since Ephemural's rules-change, yes she could.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#36 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Us readers still don't know for *sure* whether hybrids are generally possible now. It can be taken either way - that it was just an exception for Trace and Flora's child specifically, or that it was a removal of the ban for everyone. I personally think the latter is more likely, but nothing in the comic definitively proves it one way or the other. But I suppose we might get evidence soon!

As far as the *characters* go, however, none of them know what's going on. Trace and Flora have no explanation for how it's possible, Evals at least thinks the child isn't Trace's, and more relevantly Sythe assumes that Trace must be able to shapeshift, while I'm not sure Maren even knows about it. For now, at least, neither of them have any particular reason to think there'd be any risk, which could indeed have... interesting results.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#37 Post by Bellhead »

MuonNeutrino wrote: For now, at least, neither of them have any particular reason to think there'd be any risk, which could indeed have... interesting results.
Interesting, or disheartening. If Maren suddenly found herself pregnant, having only been with Sythe in the past 8 months, she might not take the news too well. Best case, she turns into a recluse when she finds out. Could end up far worse, though...

That is, of course, unless she comes COMPLETELY to terms with her true feelings on this taboo relationship, while trusting that Trace and Flora were faithful and honest with each other, and while she's in company she trusts with her life, all by the time she even STARTS showing a baby belly. And even then, she'd be pretty shaken.

It would be rough, to say the least.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#38 Post by AmigaDragon »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:19 pm Us readers still don't know for *sure* whether hybrids are generally possible now. It can be taken either way - that it was just an exception for Trace and Flora's child specifically, or that it was a removal of the ban for everyone. I personally think the latter is more likely, but nothing in the comic definitively proves it one way or the other. But I suppose we might get evidence soon!
Ephemural mentions a race, that means more than one individual.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#39 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Bellhead wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:20 pmInteresting, or disheartening. If Maren suddenly found herself pregnant, having only been with Sythe in the past 8 months, she might not take the news too well. Best case, she turns into a recluse when she finds out. Could end up far worse, though...
Yeah, I definitely did *not* mean interesting in a good sense there. It would be very rough, especially if Maren hasn't yet come to terms with her fear of intimacy and commitment yet. Not to say that Sythe wouldn't freak out too, but she'd get the worst of it I think. For Flora and Trace, while they of course didn't expect it at all, they were still in a committed romantic relationship and had already more or less admitted how much they meant to each other, and neither of them had those prejudice and fear issues to get over at that point. For Maren and Sythe it'd be much, much rougher, particularly if they're still in the stage of treating it as a casual thing rather than having admitted how they really feel.
AmigaDragon wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:17 pmEphemural mentions a race, that means more than one individual.
I agree, actually, that line does make much more sense if they're talking about removing the ban for everyone. Another bit of evidence pointing in that direction is that they said "From this point forth...", which likewise wouldn't really make sense if it was intended as a one-time exception. Those two are some of the reasons I think that it probably *is* possible for everyone now. However, neither of them is *proof* - they're both inference. Reasonable inference, I think, but still not proof.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#40 Post by Warrl »

I predict that - regardless of whether Maren ends up pregnant or not - she will deny that human-keidran hybrids are possible until she has actually seen one.

Which may involve insisting that she could not possibly be pregnant when it's obvious to everyone else that she is in fact pregnant.

Or... may not.

I have no opinion at this time on whether she'll be pregnant. After all, in neither species does a single mating result in pregnancy even half the time.

JohnTheWysard
Apprentice

#41 Post by JohnTheWysard »

I love the little unconscious (?) gesture in the first panel on the bottom... with Maren's hand moving toward her bra strap...

Shockwave07
Apprentice

#42 Post by Shockwave07 »

Well she did mention if the room had drink summoning available... Only ways I can see that she continues to, at least somewhat logically, deny the possibility of Sythe impregnating her is if she blacks out from drinking or has another fling very very soon...

Edit: And forgot to add if Sythe gets her pregnant in the first place.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#43 Post by Warrl »

Shockwave07 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:06 pm Well she did mention if the room had drink summoning available... Only ways I can see that she continues to, at least somewhat logically, deny the possibility of Sythe impregnating her is if she blacks out from drinking or has another fling very very soon...

Edit: And forgot to add if Sythe gets her pregnant in the first place.
It has been common knowledge for quite a while that humans and keidran are not interfertile. The rules have changed, but very recently - no crossbreed births yet.

Maren and company have been in human lands, and avoiding town. I don't know if there has been a rash of inexplicable pregnancies, but even if there has, Maren has not been in a position to observe them. But, let's ignore the lack of observation and consider the likely reaction to such pregnancies:
* humans in general look down on keidran, so human women typically would be reluctant to admit having sex with them
* since it's well-know that keidran can't get humans pregnant, human women who claimed to be pregnant by keidran - or to be pregnant while not having had sex with any humans - would not be believed
* keidran who are slaves would be reluctant to make claims that would cause their owners to punish them - whether that is "that human is the father of my child" or "I'm the father of that human's child"
* pregnant keidran women who claimed to have not had sex with other keidran would not be believed

In short, there is no good reason - yet - for people in general to believe that human-keidran crossbreeds are possible. Only a subset of the females who are pregnant with such crossbreeds, and a probably-smaller subset of the contributing males, have such reason, and I doubt they are sufficiently numerous or sufficiently respected to sway more than a few others.

Therefore, I have no doubt that Maren is confident Sythe couldn't possibly get her pregnant.

Although I have no clue whether that will happen (unless she says something like "after all, there's no chance you'll get me pregnant" - then the odds approach 100% that he will).

Bojack727
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: King Adelaide

#44 Post by Bojack727 »

Wow... I honestly wasn't expecting things to go as well as they appear to be unfolding.

This and the previous comic are a real testament to just how much Tom has grown as an artist: the little 'tells' (ie, movements) from Sythe's ears throughout the conversation and all the different expressions from Maren as she transitions from shockto uncertainty and finally to reluctant(?) acceptance.

Also, now that I think back on everything that's happened, these two really are the embodiment of the ultimate slow-burn 'romance' (for lack of a better word), considering all of the subtext and sexual tension we've seen (plus the stuff from the bonus comics).

Also, I'm happy to say that now that my financial situation has improved, I've returned to being a Patreon Supporter this month!

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#45 Post by AmigaDragon »

Warrl wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:28 am In short, there is no good reason - yet - for people in general to believe that human-keidran crossbreeds are possible. Only a subset of the females who are pregnant with such crossbreeds, and a probably-smaller subset of the contributing males, have such reason, and I doubt they are sufficiently numerous or sufficiently respected to sway more than a few others.

Therefore, I have no doubt that Maren is confident Sythe couldn't possibly get her pregnant.
In the (at least) several days they traveled after waking from Zen's poison, I'm sure Raine filled Maren and Karen in on at least a portion of her story, so Maren would know it's at least possible, though it was a special case (Euchre being human at the time). She won't believe it's possible under her own situation until Flora's baby comes. Even then she might think it's a special case with Trace until she finds other mixed couple pregnancies.