Moderator: Moderators

steelabjur
Council Member

Re: Comic for November 23th, 2019: Reni Returns

#31 Post by steelabjur »

AndreRhineDavis wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:41 pm
JayJayForce wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:23 pm
vevans0009 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:35 pm
JayJayForce wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:51 pm I would say she's more Indian or Micronesian, something along those lines. Skin tone is pretty light for an African and the hair and eyes are completely wrong. Maybe Coloured, but again the hair feels a bit too straight for that.
Oh there ARE africans/african americans that are different shades of skin color and colored eyes, BELIEVE ME. Especially in anime.
As someone born and raised in Africa, I do agree that there are definite variations in skin colour etc, but Reni as she's shown is definitely on the lighter end of all of that. Though the Gold eyes just aren't possible, the hair isn't happening without special treatment or non-African blood and the face doesn't look very African either. Like I said, she just looks far more Indian or something like that than pure African to me. Dark but with definitive European or Asian heritage.

Anime etc isn't very good at depicting African features most of the time tbh. They tend to just look more like a dark skinned European/Asian than someone actually from Africa. More African-American I can see due to the often large amount of European blood in them, but that's still distinct from someone with only African heritage.

(In my country, there's a major distinction between "Black" or "African" and mixed race "Coloureds" with both having distinct cultures and identities separate from each other. Barack Obama for instance wouldn't be considered "Black" in my country. So at least for me what many consider as "Black" doesn't match up to my own understanding and usage of the term)
This really is a topic I know very little about, but Reni looks to me to be depicted no differently to how an average African American girl would be depicted. I'd say a large number of African Americans have around this shade of skin colour. At the end of the day though, this is Mekkan, not Earth, so there's no reason to categorize people by our ethnic standards. I mean, people like Trace and Karen have light blue and light green hair, so we can hardly expect Earth genetics and Earth-based ethnicities to apply here :P. But yeah, I don't recall seeing any dark-skinned humans on Mekkan so far.
Yeah, you're not going to find many people with yellow eyes in the real world, period, and this complexion is well within the range of African Americans.

Wonder if they invited Kei to this shindig, getting his views on his "Ace's" new form would be amusing, especially after he overheard her thinking he was cute.

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#32 Post by aitaituo »

AndreRhineDavis wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:41 pm
JayJayForce wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:23 pm As someone born and raised in Africa, I do agree that there are definite variations in skin colour etc, but Reni as she's shown is definitely on the lighter end of all of that. Though the Gold eyes just aren't possible, the hair isn't happening without special treatment or non-African blood and the face doesn't look very African either. Like I said, she just looks far more Indian or something like that than pure African to me. Dark but with definitive European or Asian heritage.

Anime etc isn't very good at depicting African features most of the time tbh. They tend to just look more like a dark skinned European/Asian than someone actually from Africa. More African-American I can see due to the often large amount of European blood in them, but that's still distinct from someone with only African heritage.

(In my country, there's a major distinction between "Black" or "African" and mixed race "Coloureds" with both having distinct cultures and identities separate from each other. Barack Obama for instance wouldn't be considered "Black" in my country. So at least for me what many consider as "Black" doesn't match up to my own understanding and usage of the term)
This really is a topic I know very little about, but Reni looks to me to be depicted no differently to how an average African American girl would be depicted. I'd say a large number of African Americans have around this shade of skin colour. At the end of the day though, this is Mekkan, not Earth, so there's no reason to categorise people by our ethnic standards. I mean, people like Trace and Karen have light blue and light green hair, so we can hardly expect Earth genetics and Earth-based ethnicities to apply here :P. But yeah, I don't recall seeing any dark-skinned humans on Mekkan so far.
She has straight hair and a small nose, whereas the two most distinctive facial features of Niger-Congo peoples are nappy hair and broad noses. African-Americans, and similar groups in Latin America, tend to have a lot of mixed ancestry and are pretty distinctive from Niger-Congo peoples from Africa. Really, most ethnic groups in the Americas are distinctive from the ethnic groups of their Old World ancestors. Mekkan's not earth, but also Reni isn't any kind of human. Most likely, she chose darker skin because her real skin scales are black. Her hair is probably straight because then it doesn't get in the way of her horns. And if her process in designing that form is anything like my experience making characters in Fallout style games, then her nose is small because it's hard making the rest of the facial features balance around a big nose. You think it's looking good and then you rotate it and suddenly you've got a beak/potato/radish on your face!

(In my country, they traditionally used the "one drop" rule. If you had any known Niger-Congo ancestors you were considered black and often legally classified as such. Some people still believe in it.)

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#33 Post by AmigaDragon »

And on another topic, Seeing her previous reactions, I'm wondering if Nibbly sees a DRAGON!! just arrived or just another human.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Kyrit
Templar

#34 Post by Kyrit »

On the previous page Nibs was seen going to find a place to run off to, so she probably sensed Reni coming and went to hide if I had to guess.

Meanwhile I'm left guessing "Where's Maddie?" We last saw her getting surprised at the sights beyond the door. Did she decide to leave without saying anything to Karen? We've seen plenty of people arrive since Karen and Maddie got there (first Trace, then Natani and Keith, and now Raine and Redd. And apparently Eric at SOME point). Honestly it feels strange that with how they got there before so many people not a single person has acknowledged them, at least as they passed by to join any of the others, but maybe Maren's just leaving that bit out. Either way, we've got a Basitin that's now gone MIA.

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#35 Post by AmigaDragon »

I think Maddie ran off to her room or the garden to hide from all the naked. Whether she says anything to Lynn or not, Keith at least wasn't there yet to be seen partaking in such lewd behavior.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#36 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Just to throw my two cents in:
Personally considering her body type, face hair and of course ignoring the eyes. I could see her being Latin American even from my country. Her skin has a slightly different hue though but yeah still possible.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

vevans0009
New Citizen

#37 Post by vevans0009 »

AmigaDragon wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:19 pm And on another topic, Seeing her previous reactions, I'm wondering if Nibbly sees a DRAGON!! just arrived or just another human.
Think Nibs could tell its Reni still by just looking at the horns and eyes. x3 She is smarter than the average squirrel.

SpottedKitty
Templar GrandMaster

#38 Post by SpottedKitty »

I just realised why Reni's "still a work in progress" comment sounded so familiar. Natani said exactly the same thing when he showed Keith his experimental "not-a-girl" illusion way back on the boat (I think not long after they left the Basitin Islands). :wink:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

IHeartMaeve
Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve, obviously.

#39 Post by IHeartMaeve »

vevans0009 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:21 pm
AmigaDragon wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:19 pm And on another topic, Seeing her previous reactions, I'm wondering if Nibbly sees a DRAGON!! just arrived or just another human.
Think Nibs could tell its Reni still by just looking at the horns and eyes. x3 She is smarter than the average squirrel.
Wow. The "Yogi Bear" references are strong with this one.

Just figured I'd point that out, just for the heck of it.
Maeve is so cute, they're thinking of renaming the Pokémon Ability known as Cute Charm, so it becomes "Maeve Charm."

Bojack727
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: King Adelaide

#40 Post by Bojack727 »

JayJayForce wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:23 pm
vevans0009 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:35 pm
JayJayForce wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:51 pm I would say she's more Indian or Micronesian, something along those lines. Skin tone is pretty light for an African and the hair and eyes are completely wrong. Maybe Coloured, but again the hair feels a bit too straight for that.
Oh there ARE africans/african americans that are different shades of skin color and colored eyes, BELIEVE ME. Especially in anime.
As someone born and raised in Africa, I do agree that there are definite variations in skin colour etc, but Reni as she's shown is definitely on the lighter end of all of that. Though the Gold eyes just aren't possible, the hair isn't happening without special treatment or non-African blood and the face doesn't look very African either. Like I said, she just looks far more Indian or something like that than pure African to me. Dark but with definitive European or Asian heritage.

To be honest, if not for her dark skin tone, I'd say she looks downright Polynesian!

Emp_Dragon
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Reni

#41 Post by Emp_Dragon »

Regardless, her 'work in progress' is already breath takingly perfect as is.

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

#42 Post by Neutral Smith »

Emp_Dragon wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:12 am Regardless, her 'work in progress' is already breath takingly perfect as is.
Depends on your age. If you are 14 she can be good (although a bit underdeveloped), if you are 38...

She really looks like a young teenager (somewhere between 13 and 15), just like she is as a dragon. Too old to be a child, too young to be an adult.
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

Emp_Dragon
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Reni

#43 Post by Emp_Dragon »

Neutral Smith wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:30 pm
Emp_Dragon wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:12 am Regardless, her 'work in progress' is already breath takingly perfect as is.
Depends on your age. If you are 14 she can be good (although a bit underdeveloped), if you are 38...

She really looks like a young teenager (somewhere between 13 and 15), just like she is as a dragon. Too old to be a child, too young to be an adult.
And admiration of beauty doesn't have to be sexual either :)

Thorulf

#44 Post by Thorulf »

Now Tom can add a "AAA" example to his bust size chart. :)

steelabjur
Council Member

#45 Post by steelabjur »

Thorulf wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:49 am Now Tom can add a "AAA" example to his bust size chart. :)
Keep an eye on the sketch of the day, he already did a chart with Mike (male), Laura (ghost), Reni (Not even a mammal), and Flora. ;)