Comic for November 23th, 2019: Reni Returns

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Message
Author
vevans0009
New Citizen
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:47 pm

Re: Comic for November 23th, 2019: Reni Returns

#16 Post by vevans0009 »

AmigaDragon wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:21 pm "23th"?


Oh, and while not truly human (just a small percentage), Reni has the darkest human skin we've seen yet in 2K. Right?
As in the first black character? Then yes she is.

User avatar
JayJayForce
Citizen
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:33 pm
Location: That place with those people and these things

Re: Comic for November 23th, 2019: Reni Returns

#17 Post by JayJayForce »

AmigaDragon wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:21 pm Reni: "I'm not a mammal, so I could never tell if I got them right."

But you were raised almost exclusively among humans, you should be able to gauge size by them,and all the others you've seen since. That excuse falls flat, just stick with the "top heavy" reason.
That's not just cultural, but biological as well. The Human brain is specifically wired to recognize certain body features as "correct" and others as "wrong". There's also an entire part of the brain dedicated solely to recognizing Human faces and if it doesn't work right, you simply can't tell people apart by just looking at them. It's likely Dragons are the same way, just wired for different features so I can absolutely see Reni struggling to get all the details right. Things like exact size, shape and feel etc. Especially since she'd likely need to request a model for that.

Think of it this way, you could spend your entire life around dogs and get really good at telling them apart and knowing if they're looking unhealthy, but you won't be able to tell what dogs find attractive in other dogs.
vevans0009 wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:57 pmAs in the first black character? Then yes she is.
I would say she's more Indian or Micronesian, something along those lines. Skin tone is pretty light for an African and the hair and eyes are completely wrong. Maybe Coloured, but again the hair feels a bit too straight for that.

User avatar
Foxx Trotter
Council Member
Posts: 553
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:12 am
Location: Here, there and everywhere.

Re: Comic for November 23rd, 2019: Reni Returns

#18 Post by Foxx Trotter »

23th?

Um...yeah. NOT! :P



Anyway, Reni be so kyoot in human form. :D
Videre videnda.

User avatar
James Polymer
New Citizen
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:43 pm
Contact:

Re: Comic for November 23th, 2019: Reni Returns

#19 Post by James Polymer »

AmigaDragon wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:21 pm Reni: "I'm not a mammal, so I could never tell if I got them right."

But you were raised almost exclusively among humans, you should be able to gauge size by them,and all the others you've seen since. That excuse falls flat, just stick with the "top heavy" reason.
Aggressively bobs his eyebrows with an excrement-eating grin plastered over his face

My first time posting in a long while and the first page I check serves up an (unintentional?) Dad joke. Hoooo boy, is it good to be back. :wink:

Seriously, though, if Nora's problems with bipedal forms boiled down to her domicile's front porch, and she never once thought to make renovations...I suppose even ancient transcendent beings have "derp" days once in a while.
"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

"The mark of a truly wise man is that he acknowledges when he doesn't know @%$#." - Me

User avatar
Eclipse
Master
Posts: 210
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:13 pm

Re: Comic for November 23th, 2019: Reni Returns

#20 Post by Eclipse »

If she's having trouble getting the right size, I'm sure Eric wouldn't mind helping with that at all.

I wouldn't mind helping her with that myself.

User avatar
IHeartMaeve
Master
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:05 am
Location: Little-Finger Edge of the Mitten's Wrist
Favorite Character: Maeve, obviously.

Re: Comic for November 23th, 2019: Reni Returns

#21 Post by IHeartMaeve »

Eclipse wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:07 am If she's having trouble getting the right size, I'm sure Eric wouldn't mind helping with that at all.

I wouldn't mind helping her with that myself.
Uh... Well, this just got awkward.

Also, did anyone see the accompanying pic on the Twitter feed? Because, if you ask me, Human Form Reni looks adorable when she's that embarrased, especially in sketch mode.

...And, for some reason, I'm feeling incredibly hopeful that someone will invent a way to facilitate actual two-way jumps to fictional worlds. More so than average, anyway. Wonder why that is. ;)
Maeve is so cute, they're thinking of renaming the ability known as Cute Charm, so it becomes "Maeve Charm."

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:02 pm

Re: Comic for November 23th, 2019: Reni Returns

#22 Post by aitaituo »

Eclipse wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:22 am Eric's got that look again. inb4 paintings
I missed that!

User avatar
Technic[Bot]
Templar GrandMaster
Posts: 691
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:48 pm
Location: México
Contact:

Re: Comic for November 23th, 2019: Reni Returns

#23 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Well I really like her design. Yet putting lore, or lack thereof, and other excuses. I do wonder why Tom settle on this design and moreover why he decided to bring so much attention into it. After all he made a whole comic page about it when he could have addressed in a simple line or not at all. Anyhow at the end of the it kinda makes sense Reni is kinda shy and I imagine she would not want to bring more attention than she normally gets in her dragon form.

And regarding her excuse: Despite being raised almost exclusively by humans and even if she had a whole entourage of human maids to attend to her all day i pretty much doubt they were naked or that she spend much time "admiring" the feminine form . And that kind of "sculpting" for a lack of a better word, does require some "experience" to get right.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:02 pm

Re: Comic for November 23th, 2019: Reni Returns

#24 Post by aitaituo »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:32 am Well I really like her design. Yet putting lore, or lack thereof, and other excuses. I do wonder why Tom settle on this design and moreover why he decided to bring so much attention into it. After all he made a whole comic page about it when he could have addressed in a simple line or not at all. Anyhow at the end of the it kinda makes sense Reni is kinda shy and I imagine she would not want to bring more attention than she normally gets in her dragon form.
Having radically changed my personal appearance/attire a couple times in my life, I can say it would not be believable if everyone accepted Reni's human form as no more notable than the clothes Kat made for Natani.

User avatar
AmigaDragon
Templar GrandMaster
Posts: 926
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:20 pm
Location: Far Northern Minnesota
Contact:

Re: Comic for November 23th, 2019: Reni Returns

#25 Post by AmigaDragon »

Matra wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:00 pm Reni has officially taken over as second prettiest girl in TK for me, if you count Willow.
Where is Willow in TK?
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

User avatar
Diabolicon
Citizen
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 2:42 pm

Re: Comic for November 23th, 2019: Reni Returns

#26 Post by Diabolicon »

Ack! Reni's cuteness! Blarhg! *ded*

Shockwave07
Apprentice
Posts: 109
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:46 am

Re: Comic for November 23th, 2019: Reni Returns

#27 Post by Shockwave07 »

AmigaDragon wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:30 am
Matra wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:00 pm Reni has officially taken over as second prettiest girl in TK for me, if you count Willow.
Where is Willow in TK?
Willow is a bonus art character, one that was planned for the comic, but as of now unlikely to be used.

Cute Willow Wisp with a Lioness(?) form.

vevans0009
New Citizen
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:47 pm

Re: Comic for November 23th, 2019: Reni Returns

#28 Post by vevans0009 »

JayJayForce wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:51 pm
AmigaDragon wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:21 pm Reni: "I'm not a mammal, so I could never tell if I got them right."



I would say she's more Indian or Micronesian, something along those lines. Skin tone is pretty light for an African and the hair and eyes are completely wrong. Maybe Coloured, but again the hair feels a bit too straight for that.
Oh there ARE africans/african americans that are different shades of skin color and colored eyes, BELIEVE ME. Especially in anime.

User avatar
JayJayForce
Citizen
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:33 pm
Location: That place with those people and these things

Re: Comic for November 23th, 2019: Reni Returns

#29 Post by JayJayForce »

vevans0009 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:35 pm
JayJayForce wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:51 pm I would say she's more Indian or Micronesian, something along those lines. Skin tone is pretty light for an African and the hair and eyes are completely wrong. Maybe Coloured, but again the hair feels a bit too straight for that.
Oh there ARE africans/african americans that are different shades of skin color and colored eyes, BELIEVE ME. Especially in anime.
As someone born and raised in Africa, I do agree that there are definite variations in skin colour etc, but Reni as she's shown is definitely on the lighter end of all of that. Though the Gold eyes just aren't possible, the hair isn't happening without special treatment or non-African blood and the face doesn't look very African either. Like I said, she just looks far more Indian or something like that than pure African to me. Dark but with definitive European or Asian heritage.

Anime etc isn't very good at depicting African features most of the time tbh. They tend to just look more like a dark skinned European/Asian than someone actually from Africa. More African-American I can see due to the often large amount of European blood in them, but that's still distinct from someone with only African heritage.

(In my country, there's a major distinction between "Black" or "African" and mixed race "Coloureds" with both having distinct cultures and identities separate from each other. Barack Obama for instance wouldn't be considered "Black" in my country. So at least for me what many consider as "Black" doesn't match up to my own understanding and usage of the term)

User avatar
AndreRhineDavis
Templar Master
Posts: 402
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:20 am
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Comic for November 23th, 2019: Reni Returns

#30 Post by AndreRhineDavis »

JayJayForce wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:23 pm
vevans0009 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:35 pm
JayJayForce wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:51 pm I would say she's more Indian or Micronesian, something along those lines. Skin tone is pretty light for an African and the hair and eyes are completely wrong. Maybe Coloured, but again the hair feels a bit too straight for that.
Oh there ARE africans/african americans that are different shades of skin color and colored eyes, BELIEVE ME. Especially in anime.
As someone born and raised in Africa, I do agree that there are definite variations in skin colour etc, but Reni as she's shown is definitely on the lighter end of all of that. Though the Gold eyes just aren't possible, the hair isn't happening without special treatment or non-African blood and the face doesn't look very African either. Like I said, she just looks far more Indian or something like that than pure African to me. Dark but with definitive European or Asian heritage.

Anime etc isn't very good at depicting African features most of the time tbh. They tend to just look more like a dark skinned European/Asian than someone actually from Africa. More African-American I can see due to the often large amount of European blood in them, but that's still distinct from someone with only African heritage.

(In my country, there's a major distinction between "Black" or "African" and mixed race "Coloureds" with both having distinct cultures and identities separate from each other. Barack Obama for instance wouldn't be considered "Black" in my country. So at least for me what many consider as "Black" doesn't match up to my own understanding and usage of the term)
This really is a topic I know very little about, but Reni looks to me to be depicted no differently to how an average African American girl would be depicted. I'd say a large number of African Americans have around this shade of skin colour. At the end of the day though, this is Mekkan, not Earth, so there's no reason to categorise people by our ethnic standards. I mean, people like Trace and Karen have light blue and light green hair, so we can hardly expect Earth genetics and Earth-based ethnicities to apply here :P. But yeah, I don't recall seeing any dark-skinned humans on Mekkan so far.

Post Reply