What's Flora's Problem?

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Rafe
Council Member

What's Flora's Problem?

#1 Post by Rafe »

Is it just me, or does Flora seem to have gotten very self-centered all of a sudden?
At least since the Oasis Room scene started, Flora is more concerned about being around an "awkward situation" than she is concerned about the painful situation that Mike and Evals are dealing with. You'd think she might have some sympathy for them at least, having come from a similar situation herself, but all she seems to care about is not having to deal with them.

I suppose she might be suppressing some of her own past - things she never wants to think about again. It just seems as if she'd react with something a little more generous than "Get me away from these guys".

Ddraig
Templar Master

Re: What's Flora's Problem?

#2 Post by Ddraig »

Rafe wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:43 pm [snip]

Is it just me, or does Flora seem to have gotten very self-centered all of a sudden?
At least since the Oasis Room scene started, Flora is more concerned about being around an "awkward situation" than she is concerned about the painful situation that Mike and Evals are dealing with. You'd think she might have some sympathy for them at least, having come from a similar situation herself, but all she seems to care about is not having to deal with them.

I suppose she might be suppressing some of her own past - things she never wants to think about again. It just seems as if she'd react with something a little more generous than "Get me away from these guys".
I think it's more that she feels it isn't her place to intrude e.g. when you're out with a friend and their S.O., and the two start arguing over something you weren't there for. It's a personal discussion that you don't know enough to help with and you're caught in the middle.
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything, but it's wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it always finds that darkness has gotten there first, and is waiting for it."

Hayate
The Hidden User

#3 Post by Hayate »

It’s pretty normal that when you are caught in an awkward situation like that to want to be literally anywhere else. Feeling relieved that someone else showed up because it gives you an “out” is pretty normal too. I don’t think she’s being self centered, she’s just caught in an awkward situation she didn’t sign up for.
~Hayate~
--Moderator/Global Moderator
--

--Forum Rules--
--Moderators --
--Administrators
--

greywolf
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Sythe

#4 Post by greywolf »

I think the discussion between the boys is just uncomfortable for her and she doesn't feel that she has much to add. It may also be too close to home as she may have been in such a situation. Possibly she may be afraid that she would say the wrong thing and bring more tension to a already tough situation. However, I can also see how such behavior may come off as self-centered if read in a certain way

Rafe
Council Member

#5 Post by Rafe »

Everyone is making good points here, and I can understand Flora not getting involved, or not feeling like she needs to offer some opinion.

I guess it just seems to me that trying to run off from Mike and Evals while they're both in such obvious pain from this situation isn't something a friend would do. There might be good reasons not to say or do anything or get involved in any arguing, but it seems that just being around to let them know you're see what's happening and you care about them is most important thing you could do.

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#6 Post by Dadrobit »

Are they friends? Aquatinted and on friendly terms I can see, but I don't see those three as really close friends tbh. Not close enough to give unsolicited interpersonal life advice to anyways.

I mean, look at how she addressed them when she accidentally scared them in the pool.

http://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/1041/

"Oh, it's just you two." And then she immediately asked about someone else.

In general these three just aren't seen interacting with each other nearly at all. Only memorable moments I can even recall besides the mutiny incident are the one where Evals disregarded Fora's pregnancy claims about Trace, and the time where she tried to force the two to fight the Basitins. I think Evals doesn't even bother using her real name at all instead calling her Stripes. Evals is largely indifferent towards anyone not named Mike and Flora seems to reciprocate that.

Yastreb
Apprentice
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith

#7 Post by Yastreb »

Dadrobit wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:43 am Are they friends? Aquatinted and on friendly terms I can see, but I don't see those three as really close friends tbh. Not close enough to give unsolicited interpersonal life advice to anyways.

I mean, look at how she addressed them when she accidentally scared them in the pool.

http://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/1041/

"Oh, it's just you two." And then she immediately asked about someone else.

In general these three just aren't seen interacting with each other nearly at all. Only memorable moments I can even recall besides the mutiny incident are the one where Evals disregarded Fora's pregnancy claims about Trace, and the time where she tried to force the two to fight the Basitins. I think Evals doesn't even bother using her real name at all instead calling her Stripes. Evals is largely indifferent towards anyone not named Mike and Flora seems to reciprocate that.
Every time Evals calls Flora "Stripes" I half-expect him to get clawed. Usually she seems to be easily offended but Evals calling her Stripes is not a problem for some reason.

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#8 Post by tony1695 »

Yastreb wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:45 pm Every time Evals calls Flora "Stripes" I half-expect him to get clawed. Usually she seems to be easily offended but Evals calling her Stripes is not a problem for some reason.
Probably because it's not an insulting or degrading nickname. It just refers to the one thing she has that no-one else in the group has. As far as nicknames go, it's a very benign one.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

AndreRhineDavis
Templar Master

#9 Post by AndreRhineDavis »

Ddraig wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:02 pm I think it's more that she feels it isn't her place to intrude e.g. when you're out with a friend and their S.O., and the two start arguing over something you weren't there for. It's a personal discussion that you don't know enough to help with and you're caught in the middle.
Dadrobit wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:43 am Are they friends? Aquatinted and on friendly terms I can see, but I don't see those three as really close friends tbh. Not close enough to give unsolicited interpersonal life advice to anyways.
Yeah, pretty much. It's been like a month or two (or three?) in comic time since they met, and sure they've had a few friendly interactions, but I'd hardly call them *friends*. I feel like in all the time on Eric's ship, Mike and Evals just stuck to themselves and Trace and Flora just stuck to themselves and it's not like they had big communal meals where everyone all chatted and got along and got to know each other. To Flora, Evals and Mike are just "Eric's slaves" and to them, Flora is just "Trace's tiger".

So yeah. Imagine that there's someone that you sort of know of, but you don't really know that well. Like maybe a co-worker or someone from your church or something that you know of and have had a few friendly interactions with but you really barely know them or interact with them at all. And now imagine that you happen to be in a room with them, and them and their partner start having a really personal discussion/argument about their relationship. You'd probably feel embarrassed, as if you were intruding on a private moment between these two that they probably don't want to show the world. There's not much that you could really say, I mean, you barely know these people and their situation. And it's the sort of problem that has to be resolved by *them*, that they both have to work out how they feel and what they want. You just feel like this awkward third wheel.
I don't think Flora is being self-centered, it's more just that Evals and Mike need to work out how they feel and what they want to do, it's a private matter between them, and Flora being stuck there in the middle of their personal heartfelt conversation is just really awkward for her.

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#10 Post by AmigaDragon »

AndreRhineDavis wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:02 amI feel like in all the time on Eric's ship, Mike and Evals just stuck to themselves and Trace and Flora just stuck to themselves and it's not like they had big communal meals where everyone all chatted and got along and got to know each other. To Flora, Evals and Mike are just "Eric's slaves" and to them, Flora is just "Trace's tiger".
Until the last couple days, Mike and Evals were the sole crew of Eric's ship, so they wouldn't have much time to socialize with the rest, even with some kind of labor-saving magic involved in its operation (like the hot water).
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#11 Post by aitaituo »

tony1695 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:25 am
Yastreb wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:45 pm Every time Evals calls Flora "Stripes" I half-expect him to get clawed. Usually she seems to be easily offended but Evals calling her Stripes is not a problem for some reason.
Probably because it's not an insulting or degrading nickname. It just refers to the one thing she has that no-one else in the group has. As far as nicknames go, it's a very benign one.
OK, whitebeard. Also, I'm going to start calling the receptionist at work goldcurls and see if I get fired for sexual harassment. Will report back (to the unemployment department).

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#12 Post by tony1695 »

aitaituo wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:25 pm OK, whitebeard. Also, I'm going to start calling the receptionist at work goldcurls and see if I get fired for sexual harassment. Will report back (to the unemployment department).
Well that seems like a needlessly caustic reaction.
And I'll admit, my logic isn't airtight. But Evals gave her a nickname, Flora has no objection to the nickname, that's all that really matters. Whether or not the same would work with a different group of individuals has no bearing on this specific situation.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD