Comic for August 17, 2019: Fitting Form

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

AndreRhineDavis
Templar Master

Re: Comic for August 17, 2019: Fitting Form

#16 Post by AndreRhineDavis »

Yastreb wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:18 am Also Reni doesn't speak Keidran. When she looks into Brutus's mind, "All I hear are sounds."
I thought the whole idea was that she couldn't read Brutus' mind *while he was unconscious*. She can see and hear what he perceived, but she can't understand the sounds in and of themselves.
But once he wakes up, if she tries to read his mind, the memories will be augmented with his conscious understanding of them, and she can perceive his thoughts and conscious understanding.
Just like when Natani speaks to Reni, even though she can't understand their Keidran words, she can understand their thoughts and intentions that accompany them.

Rafe
Council Member

#17 Post by Rafe »

As I understand it, Reni communicates telepathically by reading thoughts that are in someone's mind, as they are thinking them. In other words, she can only understand what someone is thinking in real time, while they are actually thinking it, and the images and meanings of what they are trying to say are still in their present thoughts. Once they stop thinking about whatever it was, Reni can't understand it. She can, however, access memories,but only hears the words. the thoughts are gone. If the words are some she understands, (only Human, as far as we know) then she can decode them. Otherwise, she's lost.

If she can get Brutus to think about a memory while she is with him, then she should be able to understand it - assuming Brutus understands it himself.

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#18 Post by AmigaDragon »

Reni wrote:I don't like the idea of spying...
I'm wondering, was this said to Kei, or privately to herself? The transcript doesn't make it any clearer than the comic does.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Eclipse
Templar Master

#19 Post by Eclipse »

AmigaDragon wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:50 pm
I'm wondering, was this said to Kei, or privately to herself? The transcript doesn't make it any clearer than the comic does.
I doubt she said it to Kei. The speech bubble is different and she wouldn't want to admit that to him since she has a crush on him and wouldn't want to upset him. That's probably what she's thinking in the present as she's remembering that conversation.

AndreRhineDavis
Templar Master

#20 Post by AndreRhineDavis »

Eclipse wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:25 pm
AmigaDragon wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:50 pm
I doubt she said it to Kei. The speech bubble is different and she wouldn't want to admit that to him since she has a crush on him and wouldn't want to upset him. That's probably what she's thinking in the present as she's remembering that conversation.
Rectangular speech bubble = Narration
(http://2ks.wogcodex.com/txt/bmFy)
So in this case, Reni is reflecting on the memory, and the stuff in the rectangular speech bubble is "narration" relative to that memory. Not occurring within it, but rather happening now as she reflects on it.