Comic for July 27, 2019: Flawed Recollection

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Rafe
Council Member

Re: Comic for July 27, 2019: Flawed Recollection

#31 Post by Rafe »

Getting away from comic-universe speculation and looking at Maddie's condition from a purely medical standpoint, she could have some serious - and we're talking possibly deadly - injuries going on here, despite the fact that she's conscious and walking around.
She's got a whole list of symptoms that show she's had a TBI, a Traumatic Brain Injury. Some information:

"Traumatic brain injury usually results from a heavy blow, bump or concussive force to the head or body..."

Like this one:

Other symptoms to watch for:
  • - Loss of consciousness (lasting for just a few seconds or up to a few minutes). [Yes]
    - A state of disorientation or confusion [Yes]
    - Memory problems [Yes]
    - Feeling depressed or anxious [Definitely, and very unusual for her]
    - Blood or clear fluids draining from the ears or nose [Yes]
Whatever Reni has in mind, I hope it includes getting Maddie some serious attention soon, or she could end up in a coma, or dead, at almost any time.

stlsf4003
Apprentice

#32 Post by stlsf4003 »

Rafe wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:11 am Getting away from comic-universe speculation and looking at Maddie's condition from a purely medical standpoint, she could have some serious - and we're talking possibly deadly - injuries going on here, despite the fact that she's conscious and walking around.
She's got a whole list of symptoms that show she's had a TBI, a Traumatic Brain Injury. Some information:

"Traumatic brain injury usually results from a heavy blow, bump or concussive force to the head or body..."

Like this one:

Other symptoms to watch for:
  • - Loss of consciousness (lasting for just a few seconds or up to a few minutes). [Yes]
    - A state of disorientation or confusion [Yes]
    - Memory problems [Yes]
    - Feeling depressed or anxious [Definitely, and very unusual for her]
    - Blood or clear fluids draining from the ears or nose [Yes]
Whatever Reni has in mind, I hope it includes getting Maddie some serious attention soon, or she could end up in a coma, or dead, at almost any time.
Everything seems to line up with a TBI but i'm iffy on the memory issue angle.

As every one else has speculated. It might that whatever Maddie briefly saw behind that door put a mental block on her mind that if tampered with, could very easy deep fry her brain.

One way or another, she's screwed.
the lurking furry railroader

Rafe
Council Member

#33 Post by Rafe »

Back to the comic universe:
Insomniac wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:12 am Being quite familiar with plot points like this, my supposition goeth thusly: Whatever Maddie saw, it's enchanted in such a way that it blocks memory of it, similar to how the hallway is enchanted so people can't find it in the first place, and trying to remember is what caused the nosebleed. Reni is concerned for Maddie, and wants to look in her memories to see if she's subject to that enchantment and/or knows that, as a dragon, she can overpower it and see what Maddie saw. Boom.
It seems as if something like this is what is going on. As amenon and Schrodinger also pointed out, this kind of thing happens in Sci-Fi/Fantasy. I'm reminded of Dr. Van Gelder's painfully supressed memories here:

And that a Draconic mind-meld, while potentially dangerous, might get through whatever is inside Maddie's head causing nosebleeds and who knows what else.