Comic for July 14, 2019: Brutus

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

steelabjur
Council Member

Re: Comic for July 14, 2019: Brutus

#31 Post by steelabjur »

SpottedKitty wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:00 am Something I just realised about Brutus. He's said he's "just the boss's bodyguard" and acts as if he's just dumb muscle. But back during the attack on Edinmire, he was tossing fireballs about just like Clovis (and he had a mana crystal necklace). Is Brutus more than just dumb muscle, or was Clovis handling the artillery for all three wolves?
Possibly, we don't see don't actually see him cast a spell. Then again, not to put down Natani, but she's a self-taught magic user and doesn't have any real education. It's possible Clovis taught Brutus a few spells specifically to do the job (like the teleport the other minion used). I could see Clovis, in his line of business and how the world is, needing his bodyguard to know a bit of magic to do his job properly.

Yastreb
Apprentice
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith

#32 Post by Yastreb »

I think there are two possible reasons why Clovis would send his right-hand wolf on a mission like this.

1. Brutus is expendable. I don't think this is the case since Clovis clearly is attached to Brutus.
2. He thinks sending Brutus increases chances of success. If so, Brutus likely isn't as dim as he seems.

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#33 Post by Dadrobit »

Yastreb wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:43 pm I think there are two possible reasons why Clovis would send his right-hand wolf on a mission like this.

1. Brutus is expendable. I don't think this is the case since Clovis clearly is attached to Brutus.
2. He thinks sending Brutus increases chances of success. If so, Brutus likely isn't as dim as he seems.
Option 3. Clovis doesn't realize just how attracted to Brutus he's become and simply wants him by his side on at least a subconscious level. :mrgrin:

BadJoke
Templar GrandMaster

#34 Post by BadJoke »

Yastreb wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:43 pm I think there are two possible reasons why Clovis would send his right-hand wolf on a mission like this.

Also dim doesn't mean ineffectual or armless. I don't remember seeing a Keidran as buffed as this one until now, he clearly could break a neck or two in no time. As added muscle, protector and in case executor, Clovis (being a squishy mage himself) would definitely have a use for such guy.
Unlike some may think being good natured and sympathetic doesn't undermine someone's ability to commit acts of brutality or evilness (check Affably Evil). This Brutus guy here seems to operate on a "do what you're paid for and don't think much of the rest" basis here. Basically a "nothing personal, only business/duty" mindset. And that's far from benign. After all, not so long ago, he participated to the bombing of a city, targeting civilians and helping a guy who tried to burn alive a little girl. And nothing seems to indicate he felt any remorse about it.
In a way him being "simple" is an advantage for Clovis. A guy who can be pleasant with someone and behead said person moments later just because you told him so makes for a good right-hand.

I wonder if Tom is going to gave us a reversal, with Clovis betraying Brutus, just to have a Brutus saying "Et tu, Clovis?"
Criminals are less dangerous than virtuous people: they kill less.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#35 Post by Warrl »

Nah, there'll just be a question about what happened at the hot dog stand.

"Et two, Clovis."

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#36 Post by Technic[Bot] »

BadJoke wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:43 am Well, he is a bodyguard. Being ripped is expected to apply for the job.
Well for what I gather from the couple of bodyguards and other security personnel I am acquaintanced with. You need to be big and tall. Being ripped is not necessary. besides Brutus looks more like an underwear model than a bodyguard
Dadrobit wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:58 pm

Option 3. Clovis doesn't realize just how attracted to Brutus he's become and simply wants him by his side on at least a subconscious level. :mrgrin:
Option 4. Clovis is uncomfortably aware of his attraction towards Brutus and brought to the siege of edinmire hoping he could get rid of him.

Thought I personally think is a bit of everything: He believes Brutus is an asset in The operation and likes to have him around.

Yet we might be reading too much into it. Maybe Brutus is... well a simple Brute. A plain and ripped good boi not a tragic character meant to bretray his boss for the sake of the repu... Err the world.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

yaytime
Apprentice

#37 Post by yaytime »

XD every one seems to like the attraction idea, but what if EL Clovis was just good m8's with Brusts when they where younger? some one who was nice to him, this leaving a comforting feeling when he is around and something Clovis think would make him look soft and thus try's to hide (not the ruthless noble he wants to look like)

EDIT

could also just be Clovis manipulation of Bruts too.
The one true ship :mike: :heart: :evals:

DragnMastralex
Apprentice

#38 Post by DragnMastralex »

I thought Bastians only cared about covering the ankles? am I missing something about pants here? why is Matty caring about his pants when the ankles are the only thing that they consider to be naked if not covered?

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#39 Post by aitaituo »

DragnMastralex wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:34 pm I thought Bastians only cared about covering the ankles? am I missing something about pants here? why is Matty caring about his pants when the ankles are the only thing that they consider to be naked if not covered?
I think that was mostly Alaric taking advantage of loopholes in the law. The ankles are considered the most erotic part of the body, but the groin is still erotic. Basitins who are not as openly perverted as Alaric are still going to be rather distracted or offended by other parts of the body. Consider Keith's many reactions to nude keidran women, the focus was not on their ankles.

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#40 Post by Dadrobit »

aitaituo wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:08 pm
DragnMastralex wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:34 pm I thought Bastians only cared about covering the ankles? am I missing something about pants here? why is Matty caring about his pants when the ankles are the only thing that they consider to be naked if not covered?
I think that was mostly Alaric taking advantage of loopholes in the law. The ankles are considered the most erotic part of the body, but the groin is still erotic. Basitins who are not as openly perverted as Alaric are still going to be rather distracted or offended by other parts of the body. Consider Keith's many reactions to nude keidran women, the focus was not on their ankles.
Yeah, pretty much this. The actual genitals are so taboo that they are literally unmentionables. Tom spoke many moons ago on the topic of Basitin sexuality, and it boiled down to essentially they are devoid of a general sex drive in their day to day lives. However, it is very easy for stimuli to activate it. I could imagine how the concept of genitalia could become so intolerable that it is simply just not even discussed even when the topic is about their social norms regarding sexuality. Apologies for no direct Tom quote, writing from mobile at the moment.

steelabjur
Council Member

#41 Post by steelabjur »

To touch a bit more on what Dadrobit mentioned, in addition to being very conservative, Bastian society is also segregated by sex. Mad Maddie is young and probably has had little experience with being around the opposite sex, let alone a member of the opposite sex naked.

Kyrit
Templar

#42 Post by Kyrit »

It could just be that the angle wasn't good for drawing it or Tom hadn't thought about adding it to his design at the time, but the first time we saw Brutus he wasn't wearing a necklace. By the time Reni brought him out to show everyone the necklace was visible. Someone mentioned before that it could be a slave collar, and I think they're probably right. If they want a captured Keidran to willingly talk about the attack it'd make sense that they'd put a slave collar on him while he was still unconscious. Turns out they won't learn much from him since he already admitted Clovis keeps him mostly out of the loop, but it would definitely explain why he was so forthcoming with information, including something he'd specifically been told to keep secret.

Yastreb
Apprentice
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith

#43 Post by Yastreb »

In page 364 Keith says: "The feet, ankles, the base of the tail and between the legs are what we consider nudity here."

Maddie has seen uncovered Keidran ankles several times after she joined the Team A, but this may indeed be the very first time she has seen male genitals.

Diabolicon
Citizen

#44 Post by Diabolicon »

Well, since no one seemed to realize this. It appears that Keidran males are more *ahem* visibly endowed *ahem* than Bastian males.

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#45 Post by AmigaDragon »

Naked keidran males are more visibly endowed than clothed basitin males. Beyond that specific, we can't say (though Tom could... if he cared to).
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen