Comic for July 14, 2019: Brutus

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Ddraig
Templar Master

Re: Comic for July 14, 2019: Brutus

#16 Post by Ddraig »

tony1695 wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:04 pm
MaverickMopete wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:01 pm Why would Maddie be upset that he's not wearing pants?

I thought Bastilin Nudity was leaving their ankles uncovered.

...Though I guess that probably applies in this situation as well.
No, no, you've got it around the wrong way. Basitins are so prudish that uncovered ankles is considered as bad as pantlessness.
Also, Maddie is still only 17, which means hormones. She just got an eyeful, up close and personal, of hot naked wolf.
This conversation does remind me of a relevant throwback (although I thought I remembered a semi-flipped version with Keith thinking of Nat; or maybe it was an interaction with Alaric?)
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything, but it's wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it always finds that darkness has gotten there first, and is waiting for it."

TheMouse
Templar GrandMaster

#17 Post by TheMouse »

Oh my stars, he's just adorable! And clearly voiced by Patrick Warburton.
_____
Submission is not weakness.
It takes a far stronger will to submit with grace and dignity than to pretend to be strong.
Unknown wrote:Live your life in such a way that the Westboro Baptist Church will picket your funeral.

Eclipse
Templar Master

#18 Post by Eclipse »

BadJoke wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:52 pm He seems to be exactly as I predicted. Through we'll have to had "dumb" to it: yes Brutus you just spilled out the very secret stuff Clovis told you to keep secret! (Even if he was pretending playing dumb, reveling that would make no sense and just put him in hot waters with his boss.)
He's either dumb or tricking them. I'm starting to think the latter. They seem to have captured him way too easily considering how close he is to Clovis and he's way too talkative. I have a feeling this is a trick of some sorts.
BadJoke wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:52 pm Through he may be in danger already: if Natani hears he's in league with Clovis, it's possible he'll be tempted to interrogate poor Brutus himself, or even kill him once that's done.
I think it's too late for that. He already knows Clovis is involved in this, and I have a feeling he knows Brutus already (although he may be shocked to find out that Brutus was the one that got captured), if he's that close to Clovis I have a feeling he was still working for him while the assassin twins were still working for Clovis. I bet Natani is chomping at the bit to find out what he knows about Clovis' involvement in this mess. This could get veeerrry ugly.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#19 Post by Technic[Bot] »

So are all future characters gonna end up being incredibly ripped and/or handsome? I meant when i loaded today comic i thought i had used a wrong url or something.
BadJoke wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:52 pm He seems to be exactly as I predicted. Through we'll have to had "dumb" to it: yes Brutus you just spilled out the very secret stuff Clovis told you to keep secret! (Even if he was pretending playing dumb, reveling that would make no sense and just put him in hot waters with his boss.)

Through he may be in danger already: if Natani hears he's in league with Clovis, it's possible he'll be tempted to interrogate poor Brutus himself, or even kill him once that's done.
I think Clovis operates on a need to know basis. So Brutus might be cooperating since he is well aware he knows really little about the operation and that they might already know everything he does know. Also I imagine he is aware he is not on Templar hands, and thus not in immediate mortal danger, as he is still alive and not strapped to some mind controlling device or something hence his nonchalance.
Or he might be tricking them, after all why would Clovis send his right hand-man and favorite wolf to the middle of a battle field when something can, and did, go terribly wrong. After all if the comic did not operate on anime logic Brutus would be a red splatter on the ground at the moment. Perhaps Clovis did wanted to get rid of him.
Also i do hope he is not just Plain stupid, with that name it would be a wasted opportunity if he does not end betraying Clovis or if he does it by accident. A much less interesting scenario, at least for me.
Finally I doubt that Nat or Zen will kill him, as long as he cooperates, they might be assassins, and not very good ones at that. But they do not seem to enjoy wanton slaughter or just killing for the sake of it, nor they seem to be cruel or sadistic. Their problem is with Clovis, GoodBoi Brutus has not done anything to them and killing him would be undeserving.
Panther wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:26 pm Seeing Reni's eyes in the last panel , it's very possible
But Carver and now Brutus ; why Clovis is surrounded by cute guys ? Would be gay ? :oops: :oops:
As some people pointed out it is unlikely he is gay. But it would be an interesting idea for his character arc: The psychopathic misogynist was also a closet gay.
Anyhow if i remember correctly when they captured our GooBoi Brutus he was wearing his fake templar garb. Did he just took it off for no reason, or did someone else took his clothes off?
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

steelabjur
Council Member

#20 Post by steelabjur »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:35 am So are all future characters gonna end up being incredibly ripped and/or handsome? I meant when i loaded today comic i thought i had used a wrong url or something.

Through he may be in danger already: if Natani hears he's in league with Clovis, it's possible he'll be tempted to interrogate poor Brutus himself, or even kill him once that's done.
I think Clovis operates on a need to know basis. So Brutus might be cooperating since he is well aware he knows really little about the operation and that they might already know everything he does know. Also I imagine he is aware he is not on Templar hands, and thus not in immediate mortal danger, as he is still alive and not strapped to some mind controlling device or something hence his nonchalance.
Or he might be tricking them, after all why would Clovis send his right hand-man and favorite wolf to the middle of a battle field when something can, and did, go terribly wrong. After all if the comic did not operate on anime logic Brutus would be a red splatter on the ground at the moment. Perhaps Clovis did wanted to get rid of him.
Also i do hope he is not just Plain stupid, with that name it would be a wasted opportunity if he does not end betraying Clovis or if he does it by accident. A much less interesting scenario, at least for me.
Finally I doubt that Nat or Zen will kill him, as long as he cooperates, they might be assassins, and not very good ones at that. But they do not seem to enjoy wanton slaughter or just killing for the sake of it, nor they seem to be cruel or sadistic. Their problem is with Clovis, GoodBoi Brutus has not done anything to them and killing him would be undeserving.
Panther wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:26 pm Seeing Reni's eyes in the last panel , it's very possible
But Carver and now Brutus ; why Clovis is surrounded by cute guys ? Would be gay ? :oops: :oops:
As some people pointed out it is unlikely he is gay. But it would be an interesting idea for his character arc: The psychopathic misogynist was also a closet gay.
Anyhow if i remember correctly when they captured our GooBoi Brutus he was wearing his fake templar garb. Did he just took it off for no reason, or did someone else took his clothes off?
Probably stripped him to check for weapons, especially when they found out Clovis is involved.

I'm also reminded of the Springtime Fever sketch with Clovis and Brutus.

Rafe
Council Member

#21 Post by Rafe »

NEXT SCENE, A HALL IN THE MANOR

RENI, MADELYN, AND KAREN ENTER. ROSELYN IS THERE ALREADY EXPECTING THEM.

KAREN
Miss Rose! We were attacked by a giant stone lizard thing and, and..!

ROSELYN
Yes, I'm aware of what happened. You appear to be not badly hurt. We'll discuss it later.
Reni, you look concerned.

RENI
Yes! Our Wolf prisoner is conscious. I'll need to get him some food and... some pants.

ROSELYN
Alright. If you're going back down, I'll have some food waiting there. As far as the pants, if I remember his approximate size, [she reaches over to a conjuring table] these should do.

RENI
Actually Maddie had a better look at him...

ROSELYN
Well, if you don't mind Madelyn, let me check your memory.

MADELYN
What? NO!

ROSELYN
Oh, my! Well, it looks like these pants will have to be significantly let out in... certain areas.
Thank you for your attention to detail Madelyn. You've saved him from a great deal of... crowding.

MADELYN {Buries her face in her hands]
AAUUGHH!

BadJoke
Templar GrandMaster

#22 Post by BadJoke »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:35 am So are all future characters gonna end up being incredibly ripped and/or handsome? I meant when i loaded today comic i thought i had used a wrong url or something.
Well, he is a bodyguard. Being ripped is expected to apply for the job.
Criminals are less dangerous than virtuous people: they kill less.

JDEzekude
Traveler

Brutus' Fate(?)

#23 Post by JDEzekude »

To be honest, I'm more worried about Brutus dying by the hand of Clovis rather than Natani. It's clear that Brutus was meant to be captured as bait. And, considering how low Clovis can stoop, I can just see them doing him in like an expendable pawn.

For this reason, I was hoping that Brutus had very little to do with Clovis and was only being controlled by the Templar as a whole...
JDEzekude

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

Re: Brutus' Fate(?)

#24 Post by AmigaDragon »

JDEzekude wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:53 amTo be honest, I'm more worried about Brutus dying by the hand of Clovis rather than Natani. It's clear that Brutus was meant to be captured as bait. And, considering how low Clovis can stoop, I can just see them doing him in like an expendable pawn.

For this reason, I was hoping that Brutus had very little to do with Clovis and was only being controlled by the Templar as a whole...
Nobody was meant to be captured, they were only meant to be exposed as fakes. I think Clovis was the only one that knew this part, while his wolves thought the main purpose was a distraction to empty the wolf pens and fracture human/feline relations.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#25 Post by Dadrobit »

What're the odds that this is all an elaborate plan by Tom to use Brutus in Clovis's eventual downfall/doom and get an "Et tu Brute?" gag? :mrgrin:
TheMouse wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:35 pm Oh my stars, he's just adorable! And clearly voiced by Patrick Warburton.
Yeah, I can get behind this.

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#26 Post by AmigaDragon »

AndreRhineDavis wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:30 amI mean sure, she's a Basitin, but I also expect Basitin discipline and training to be better than this, so that Maddie can be a successful covert agent without something as mundane as nudity distracting her or causing her to fail her mission. I'll cut her some slack and say she's just not in *serious* military mode right now :). I'd hope that in an actual war, the Basitin army would have enough discipline to not break ranks just because someone took their pants off :P
Nudity isn't so mundane for basitins. Maddie may have never (or seldom) seen any naked male, it is taboo in their culture. The few keidrans on the island would be very strongly encouraged to follow basitin modesty rules in order to stay on the island. Everyone else would be far more likely to have seen at least the occasional keidran wandering around naked on the mainland. Military discipline or no, she's understandably distracted when he stands up in the cell (panel 3).
Technic[Bot] wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:35 amAs some people pointed out it is unlikely he is gay. But it would be an interesting idea for his character arc: The psychopathic misogynist was also a closet gay.
I agree that Clovis was not gay to begin with but the years living under Nora's spell might make him a closet gay if he gets it dispeled. :nora: Brutus' slip of the tongue might be hinting at that even if he doesn't realize the attraction.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

detrius
Citizen

#27 Post by detrius »

TheMouse wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:35 pm Oh my stars, he's just adorable! And clearly voiced by Patrick Warburton.
Dat moment when you realize that Kronk ("The Emperor's New Groove") and Brock Samson ("The Venture Bros.") have the same voice actor.

cGlenn

#28 Post by cGlenn »

That a wolf in need of pants unsettles a dragon, ...

Vintage
Certified Fool
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#29 Post by Vintage »

Insomniac wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:38 pm
Rafe wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:33 pm It could be that Maddie's being so distracted (and Clovis' comment about liking to have him around) are implying that Brutus is, to Maddie and Clovis anyway, a stunningly attractive wolf.
Not just to them, RAWRF! No rush on finding him pants, Reni, he seems quite comfortable without them :3
Damnit I have to agree XD Brutus is pretty hot :P
Image Image
*pssst* Want'a see what happens when I attempt art? (Avatar made by WoofSenpai & NowandLater)

SpottedKitty
Templar GrandMaster

#30 Post by SpottedKitty »

Something I just realised about Brutus. He's said he's "just the boss's bodyguard" and acts as if he's just dumb muscle. But back during the attack on Edinmire, he was tossing fireballs about just like Clovis (and he had a mana crystal necklace). Is Brutus more than just dumb muscle, or was Clovis handling the artillery for all three wolves?
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery