Comic for June 15, 2019: Different Lizard

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

detrius
Citizen

Re: Comic for June 15, 2019: Different Lizard

#16 Post by detrius »

Shockwave07 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:21 pm Huh... Literal dungeons and dragons...
If Reni was a D&D black dragon, now would be the time for increased panic.

phpBB [video]

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#17 Post by Schrodinger »

The dragons in the Twokinds universe have been distinctly separate from their tabletop counterparts, much to the benefit of the cast.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#18 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Schrodinger wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:10 am The dragons in the Twokinds universe have been distinctly separate from their tabletop counterparts, much to the benefit of the cast.
Honestly I find these more "benign" representation of dragons to be way more interesting. There is only so many ways you can tell the story of Saint George and the Dragon until you get bored of it. Besides the devil lizard bent on eating maidens for the fun of it is not a quite interesting archetype to begin with.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Ddraig
Templar Master

#19 Post by Ddraig »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:05 pm
Schrodinger wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:10 am The dragons in the Twokinds universe have been distinctly separate from their tabletop counterparts, much to the benefit of the cast.
Honestly I find these more "benign" representation of dragons to be way more interesting. There is only so many ways you can tell the story of Saint George and the Dragon until you get bored of it. Besides the devil lizard bent on eating maidens for the fun of it is not a quite interesting archetype to begin with.
Honestly, I agree with you - and not for the obvious reason (well, not mainly). A character whose without motivation except being evil is about as interesting as a door made of nailed-together roughshod planks. If it breathes, it acts in its own interest, which means it has actual motivations. They might not make sense to the main character, but they should have them, and 'I love being evil' doesn't count.
Anything and anyone that isn't usually benign would get hunted down by the dominant species of the world (almost always humans, sometimes split between elves/humans/dwarves, rarely something weird). Even things with a reputation as being dangerous don't do anything in most interactions. You also don't hear about those interactions from people except once immediately after they happen, but they happen. Wolves are/were the scariest inhabitants of the forest IRL, and look at Man's Best Friend. That didn't happen by attrition.
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything, but it's wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it always finds that darkness has gotten there first, and is waiting for it."

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#20 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Ddraig wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:31 am Honestly, I agree with you - and not for the obvious reason (well, not mainly). A character whose without motivation except being evil is about as interesting as a door made of nailed-together roughshod planks. If it breathes, it acts in its own interest, which means it has actual motivations. They might not make sense to the main character, but they should have them, and 'I love being evil' doesn't count.
Anything and anyone that isn't usually benign would get hunted down by the dominant species of the world (almost always humans, sometimes split between elves/humans/dwarves, rarely something weird). Even things with a reputation as being dangerous don't do anything in most interactions. You also don't hear about those interactions from people except once immediately after they happen, but they happen. Wolves are/were the scariest inhabitants of the forest IRL, and look at Man's Best Friend. That didn't happen by attrition.
Now that you mention most wolf species in the world are somewhat endangered, in some parts it went extinct for a while. Just recently people began to see them more than pest/monsters.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#21 Post by AmigaDragon »

Rafe wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:53 pm I just had a thought -
I wonder if the collar the wolf is wearing is a Templar slave collar, more or less the same model as the one Raine is wearing. Perhaps he's not a willing participant in the Clovis/Templar's plans.
The slave collars dull the mind when in use.The wolves were flinging magic around, I don't think this would be possible under the collars.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Rafe
Council Member

#22 Post by Rafe »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Now that you mention most wolf species in the world are somewhat endangered, in some parts it went extinct for a while. Just recently people began to see them more than pest/monsters.
Attitudes about animals have always varied from one culture to another, even not taking the passing of time into account. Foxes are a good example. in Western Europe, most fox characters are smart, charming, and good-looking, but they're also usually tricksters, deceivers and con-artists (like Renart in Europe, or the vixen Lisaveta Petrovnya in Russian stories). In China and Korea, foxes are downright evil, almost monster-like. Think of Lt. Vixen in the North Korean cartoon "Squirrel and Hedgehog". Then of course there's Japan, where foxes are kitsune, capable of being very wise and powerful, guardians of the important goddess Inari, able to transform themselves into human form, and having a tendency trick and seduce unwary humans.

Wolves also seem to change from one culture to another. The "Big Bad Wolf" is the main Western stereotype - something of a bully, always hungry, etc. But again, if you look at other cultures and mythologies, things change. In general, across Asia and North America, the nomadic hunting cultures respected wolves, but those with livestock didn't. Russian stories have some Big Bad Wolf characters, but they also have stories where wolves are wise, helpful and even kind to other animals and humans. A whole series of tales is built around "Prince Ivan and the Gray Wolf". The main characters start out in a battle against each other, but end up as friends, helping each other through numerous adventures culminating in one where Prince Ivan is killed, and the wolf is able to bring him back to life. Turns out Gray Wolf has a lot of knowledge, wisdom, and magic ability that Ivan lacks. Here's a 19th Century illustration:

Here's a animated Ukranian story about a wolf who keeps an depressed, abandoned dog from killing himself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWBBODkPlpY

Another animation about a wolf who steals a calf and decidedes to keep him and fatten him up before eating him, but gets so attached he can't do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSKLZhwWC4Q

Finally, a recent "Prince Ivan and the Gray Wolf" film (2011), which, like the "Shrek" films, takes the Prince/Wolf stories (and other Russian tales), and does a major parody version of them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRzEzLlD8Nk (click the settings button to get English Subtitles)

[/quote]
AmigaDragon wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:21 pm The slave collars dull the mind when in use.The wolves were flinging magic around, I don't think this would be possible under the collars.
That's a good point, but maybe the Templar Slave Collars (as opposed to the normal models) have other properties, like the ability to project magic sent to them. Raine lost control of her arm, but didn't have any mental effects (of course, Wolf-Form Raine isn't necessarily the same as a wolf).