Comic for April 27, 2019: Rose and Raine

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

Comic for April 27, 2019: Rose and Raine

#1 Post by MuonNeutrino »

This has been a very long time coming - I've been wondering about this ever since Rose's reintroduction back in 2017. During the stream for her reappearance in comic 960, Tom very briefly showed a thumbnail sketch of Rose in both wolf and human form (the sketch was eventually shown here). I speculated about the potential significance of that sketch at the time (and I'm amused at how close I came), and I've been half-waiting ever since for that second shoe to actually drop in-comic. This is gonna be goooood.

And, of course Rose is willing to help. She's Rose. :heart:

Also, "Some magical talent", eh? Tom you troll. :D

Lordadmiral Drake
Master

Re: Comic for April 27, 2019: Rose and Raine

#2 Post by Lordadmiral Drake »

You beat me to it, MuonNeutrino S:P

Quite unexpected that Rose shares her cousins abilities, and to this extent ^^

Also, adorable tail-wagging Raine is adorable :heart: :raine:
Furcode: FCXcsp2a A C- D H+ M- P- R++ T++ W Z- Sm# RLE a cln d+ e h* i+ j+ p- sm+

I'm a Deviant now

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: When in doubt, Nibbly!

#3 Post by CrRAR »

Woah, you fast muon.

Yay for bonding time, yay for borrowed sewing stuff, yay for Rose and, oh yes, most yay for Raine! :raine:
:natani:╯ ︵┻━┻
Fight the power!

Kyrit
Templar

#4 Post by Kyrit »

Well, this brings back the discussion of what's in "the room".

For those that weren't willing to believe it was Rose because we didn't see any Keidran ears, it's probably because the physical form in there is that of human Rose. Admittedly, I doubt she's a master at it herself, or want at first. More likely she was forcibly changed by Trace as a test run before he did the reverse to Mary. She'd have had plenty of time between then and now to at minimum learn to control the form of her projected body.

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#5 Post by tony1695 »

I think it's safe to say that no-one was predicting this.
I do have to wonder, though, was she too born with the ability and never utilised it, or does whatever control she have over the estate also let her do this? This might also explain how she's still around despite being ancient for a Keidran, (without delving into any really creepy alternates) given how Tom has stated that your physical age is dependent on the form you're in.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#6 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Lordadmiral Drake wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:37 pmYou beat me to it, MuonNeutrino S:P
CrRAR wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:39 pmWoah, you fast muon.
:P That's why I was idling in the stream chat, to see the stream bot post the 'new comic page' alert - darned if I was going to let anyone *else* post the comic page for this one! :grin:

And yeah, I don't think anyone would have seen this coming if it wasn't for the hint Tom dropped in the form of that sketch. I mean, it's not like it's implausible or anything, with her cousin already having displayed the same ability, but I don't think it would have been expected either - or at least I don't think *I* would have expected it, anyway.

I thought it was Rose in that room from the beginning, but this certainly doesn't shake my belief any. On top of everything else, I don't think the signature rose petal motif in that comic is an accident.

On a different note, one could read Rose's line in that 8th panel as her offering to instruct Raine in magic in general, not just in controlling her abilities. You know, the Raine who has the highest magical potential out of the entire (non-draconic) cast? The Raine who was strong enough to burn through a magical shackle that was powerful enough to snap Natani and Zen's link and nullify Carver's barrier? The Raine who could see through both Natani's and Carver's illusions while in wolf form? The Raine who possibly healed Mrs Nibbly of a fatal wound without even realizing it? The Raine who teleported Carver all the way to the Basitin Isles? And now she's going to know how to actually use that potential? Look out, world, here comes Raine! :grin:

IHeartMaeve
Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve, obviously.

#7 Post by IHeartMaeve »

Okay, if I was drinking any water at the time, I would have more than likely done my first-ever spit take. This was so un-foreshadowed that Tom was likely the only one knowledgeable about the topic.

I mean, this definitely raises questions. Did Saria ever know about this? If Rose shared this gift with her cousin, why was she apparently casting an illusion during Raine's backstory flashbacks? Was she even using an illusion? Don't leave us hanging here, Tom! You've got to explain this!
Maeve is so cute, they're thinking of renaming the Pokémon Ability known as Cute Charm, so it becomes "Maeve Charm."

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#8 Post by tony1695 »

Something that occurred to me: Is Euchre's ability really as rare as we think it is? Could there be an entire village where the residents are able to freely choose a human or Keidran form?
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

vevans0009
New Citizen

#9 Post by vevans0009 »

Werewolves. x3

Hayate
The Hidden User

#10 Post by Hayate »

Everyone seems quite surprised by Rose’s transformation. But I swear we already knew she could do this. Wasn’t she originally captured while using it, only being identified by her obvious Keidran accent? Or am I remembering this completely wrong xD
~Hayate~
--Moderator/Global Moderator
--

--Forum Rules--
--Moderators --
--Administrators
--

Ddraig
Templar Master

#11 Post by Ddraig »

Hayate wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:27 am Everyone seems quite surprised by Rose’s transformation. But I swear we already knew she could do this. Wasn’t she originally captured while using it, only being identified by her obvious Keidran accent? Or am I remembering this completely wrong xD
iirc she had a human illusion spell on, which is what I attributed that "some magical talent" in youngRose's section of the character sheet to.
MuonNeutrino wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:17 pm I thought it was Rose in that room from the beginning, but this certainly doesn't shake my belief any. On top of everything else, I don't think the signature rose petal motif in that comic is an accident.
It certainly makes it more likely. I'm still ~60/40 that it isn't Rose, but that's down from ~95/5 given the lack of ears is no longer a hard disprover. That's mostly hair and bearing, but the silhouette isn't the easiest to read for me
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything, but it's wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it always finds that darkness has gotten there first, and is waiting for it."

Xian
Traveler

#12 Post by Xian »

Wait! Is Rose a 25 years young lady while in human form?! Does that mean that every Keidran able to master that magic could live up to four times their natural lifespan if they stay as humans all the time once they hit their twenties?!

celtcath74

#13 Post by celtcath74 »

To quote Brad Williams, "I was not expecting that". :shock:

CrRAR
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: When in doubt, Nibbly!

#14 Post by CrRAR »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:17 pm I thought it was Rose in that room from the beginning, but this certainly doesn't shake my belief any. On top of everything else, I don't think the signature rose petal motif in that comic is an accident.
Ddraig wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:51 am
Hayate wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:27 am Everyone seems quite surprised by Rose’s transformation. But I swear we already knew she could do this. Wasn’t she originally captured while using it, only being identified by her obvious Keidran accent? Or am I remembering this completely wrong xD
iirc she had a human illusion spell on, which is what I attributed that "some magical talent" in youngRose's section of the character sheet to.
So much this. I am questioning this as a ruse of an all-powerful projection that Rose seems to be. Yes she most certainly may know illusion magic, perhaps she is also a flawless transformer. I find it interesting she didn't exploit it to a higher degree sooner. Maybe she's just not as cunning and manipulative as Euchre is, fits her description being a more grounded character. She has spent a long time at the estate with plenty of opportunity to focus on such things. I still come back to a stopping point that if the real "her" truly is in the room the Rose we know is a projection of some kind; and ergo, can prooooject as whatever form the hell she wants to be at random. Either or, I say the ACTUAL truth is irrelevant.

I am not questioning the validity, but I have an inkling that Rose may simply be demonstrating - genuinely or deceptively - simply to teach Raine that all it takes... is confidence. Perhaps Rose was just close enough to Euchre to WITNESS what it took. Perhaps this is just a heartfelt lesson in personal growth. A watchful nudge from a warm spirit. A gift to help Raine realize her full potential... from Rose... in whatever capacity she still exists. :heart:

I do also wonder if being unrestricted plays into the timing of Rose's visit with Raine. Seems curious. Gotta stay tuned.
:natani:╯ ︵┻━┻
Fight the power!

Esn
New Citizen

#15 Post by Esn »

Hey, Raine's ears are back to Keidran again! They were human on the previous page, and Keidran on the page before that.

And yeah, this page raises a lot of questions.